Gamethread Sunday Houston Astros @ Boston

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Gamethread Sunday Houston Astros @ Boston

#RedSox: Holt 2B, Nava RF, Ortiz DH, Cespedes LF, Johnson 1B, Bogaerts SS, Middlebrooks 3B, Bradley Jr. CF, Butler C, Kelly RHP

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: Gamethread Sunday Houston Astros @ Boston

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe · 11h

Williams hit his 400th HR for the #RedSox in his 1,745th game. Yaz in his 2,804th. Ortiz did it in 1,630 games.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Cespedes on Ortiz: “It’s an honor see him play, a special thing, and an even greater pleasure to share the locker room with him

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Williams hit his 400th HR for the #RedSox in his 1,745th game. Yaz in his 2,804th. Ortiz did it in 1,630 games.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Great stat, JBAY! 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

Back to the 400 HR's and games played. Ortiz did it in fewer games, but I'd be interested in who did it in fewer official at-bats. I tried looking it up but couldn't find that info on Williams. I did, however, read that when Ted hit that #400, after rounding the bases he spit toward the SOX press box. If Ted was one thing, he was consistent. 

As a ballplayer at Fenway, imo, Ted was more respected than loved. Yaz was loved and respected. Ortiz is loved but not as respected as the others, due to the shadow of PEDS.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe · 1m

Red Sox recalled RHP Steven Wright from Pawtucket. OF Corey Brown was DFA'd.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:

Back to the 400 HR's and games played. Ortiz did it in fewer games, but I'd be interested in who did it in fewer official at-bats. I tried looking it up but couldn't find that info on Williams. I did, however, read that when Ted hit that #400, after rounding the bases he spit toward the SOX press box. If Ted was one thing, he was consistent. 

As a ballplayer at Fenway, imo, Ted was more respected than loved. Yaz was loved and respected. Ortiz is loved but not as respected as the others, due to the shadow of PEDS.

I was a mechanical engineer in 1956, and saw Williams play several games that year. Want to know something? The vast majority of fans were ON HIS SIDE in his side show war against the press. I worked for acompany, in Norwood, on Rte1. Sometimes a couple of other guys and I would take a late lunch break, drive a short distance down the road to this restaurant and watch the beginning of the game oin q 10" (?) TV. After the Williams AB, we'd get in the car and go back to work. You can call it what you want (I never "loved" any ball player). I loved what they did! Especially Ted.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

All 3 are on the Red Sox Mt Rushmore

The only question is, who is the 4th guy?  Pedro?  Fisk?  Rice?  Pedey?  Cronin?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

The only question is, who is the 4th guy?  Pedro?  Fisk?  Rice?  Pedey?  Cronin?

I really can't tell: 

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

I really can't tell: 

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

OK. That's funny.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

I wonder how many more homers Williams would have hit if hadn't spent FIVE of his PRIME YEARS in the service.

He is, and always will be, the best hitter whoever lived.

And, what about the last day of the season when his .400 batting average was on the line?  He chose to play.  The rest is history.

Williams was a man's man.  He was honest about his disgust with the parasitic press.  Who can blame him?  How would anyone like to talk to someone like Shaughnessy or Wilbur every day?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from chetgnat. Show chetgnat's posts

hence my problem with overvaluing the DH position. if Ortiz had to play the field, his batting numbers would be significantly reduced, and he would have been injured far more often.

DH's should be restricted to 2 games in a row. 3rd game you have to play the field for 5 innings or something like that. a DH is not as much of a baseball player as the other players. the position only exists to prevent pitchers from batting. there's no reason to allow it to be used as a full-time position. imo.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to chetgnat's comment:

hence my problem with overvaluing the DH position. if Ortiz had to play the field, his batting numbers would be significantly reduced, and he would have been injured far more often.

DH's should be restricted to 2 games in a row. 3rd game you have to play the field for 5 innings or something like that. a DH is not as much of a baseball player as the other players. the position only exists to prevent pitchers from batting. there's no reason to allow it to be used as a full-time position. imo.

VERY WELL SAID!!  Actually, the DH is an insult to the game.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from chetgnat. Show chetgnat's posts

actually another option to limit the DH would be to allow it only for the starting pitcher. once you take the starter out, you lose the DH. i'd be fine with that too.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from chetgnat. Show chetgnat's posts

well that was one of the ugliest plays i can remember.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from chetgnat. Show chetgnat's posts

boegarts threw that before touching the base....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

I think the DH should be totally eliminated so as to allow strategy to again enter a game.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from blingblang. Show blingblang's posts

What's up with Kelley, struggling against batters flying under the Mendoza line.  Another game starting with the pitcher challenging his lineup to score.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

I prefer an Earl Weaver argument than these woosy challenges.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from chetgnat. Show chetgnat's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

I think the DH should be totally eliminated so as to allow strategy to again enter a game.

it makes for a far more interesting game strategically for sure. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from chetgnat. Show chetgnat's posts

that was a troubling brain furt by Boegarts. that's not something that should ever happen. indicates lack of focus. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1972SoxFan4eva. Show 1972SoxFan4eva's posts

This pitcher guy has nothing at all...I mean really. Im so mad i could kick my tv

When you put on that jersey, the name on the front is more important then the name on the back.----Boston.com member since 2003----

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1972SoxFan4eva. Show 1972SoxFan4eva's posts

Also replays ruin the game of baseball!!!!!!!!

When you put on that jersey, the name on the front is more important then the name on the back.----Boston.com member since 2003----

Sections
Shortcuts