Gamethread Tuesday Angels @ Boston

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Gamethread Tuesday Angels @ Boston

#RedSox: Holt RF, Pedroia 2B, Ortiz DH, Napoli 1B, Nava LF, Middlebrooks 3B, Bogaerts SS, Betts CF, Vazquez C, Webster RHP

Pitching: RHP Jered Weaver (13-7, 3.66).

Game time: 7:10 p.m.

TV/Radio: NESN / WEEI.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: Gamethread Tuesday Angels @ Boston

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe · 3h

#RedSox will activate David Ross tomorrow.

Replied to 0 times

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete AbrahamVerified account ‏@PeteAbe

Allen Craig back at Fenway today. Will play right field for Pawtucket tomorrow.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe · 1h

Teams bidding for Rusney Castillo expect a decision by the weekend. Unlike MLB free agents, hard for them to get info on his thinking.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Red Sox vs. Weaver: Ortiz 11-40, Pedroia 7-37, Napoli 10-29, Cespedes 4-13, Holt 2-4, Nava 1-6, Bogaerts 0-3, Johnson 1-3, Middlebrooks 1-3, Vazquez 1-3.

Angels vs. Webster: Aybar 0-3, Calhoun 2-3, Freese 0-2, Hamilton 0-2, Iannetta 1-3, Kendrick 1-3, Navarro 0-2, Pujols 0-2, Trout 0-2.

Stat of the Day: Yoenis Cespedes is 3 for 23 on the homestand and has walked once in 65 plate appearances with the Red Sox. Going back to his time with Oakland, Cespedes has walked once in his last 21 games and 90 plate appearances.

Notes: The Red Sox have lost three of four and the Angels have won five of six to move into first place in the AL West. … The pitching matchup is a rematch of Aug. 8 when the Red Sox beat the Angels, 4-2. Webster allowed two runs over 6.2 innings and Weaver four over six innings. … Weaver is 4-6 with a 4.11 ERA in 15 career starts against the Red Sox. … The Sox are 8-8 this month. … Brock Holt has a 12-game hit streak. … Dustin Pedroia is 31 of his last 86 (.360). … Xander Bogaerts is 3 of his last 34 and hitless in his last 16 at-bats. … Burke Badenhop has not allowed a run in his last 7.1 innings. … Edward Mujica has gone 8.2 innings without allowing an earned run. … The Sox have made 74 errors, six fewer than they did all last season. … The Sox were 1 of 21 with runners in scoring position and left 21 men on base the last two games.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

DAT-A-BOY  PAPI !!!   To left field to boot, how to break that SHIFT  !!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

This could break the Guinness record for fewest posts on a game thread. I count 6. Mine shouldn't count. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

It was befouled before the break

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Just ashame that this team cannot score because the pitching has kept them in games all year. But they cannot hit water if they fell out of a boat.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

whadabuncha losers they have become.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

I support all then kidsbut good lord even the guys who do well like Nava and Holt are boring with no power or speed and theother guys are permanent outs  with no redeeming value except for JBJ's glove and the catchers defense

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

I was just reading something that mentioned the Sox leading mlb in quality starts?

What a cruel joke our offense has been!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

While he has not been outstanding, this is 2 quality starts in a row for Allen Webster against one of the best offenses in baseball.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to billge's comment:

I support all then kidsbut good lord even the guys who do well like Nava and Holt are boring with no power or speed and theother guys are permanent outs  with no redeeming value except for JBJ's glove and the catchers defense

Someone made a deal with the devil last year for the SOX to win it all. Now the devil is collecting. And he may be collecting for a long time. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

While he has not been outstanding, this is 2 quality starts in a row for Allen Webster against one of the best offenses in baseball.

[/QUOTE]

I've never understood the definition of a 'quality start.' I'm sure it's been 'watered down' to the point of 'quality start' is the new term for what used to be called an average start. In my opinion, a projected ERA of 4.50 doesn't spell quality to me, But, then again, "good is the new mediocre."

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I've never understood the definition of a 'quality start.' I'm sure it's been 'watered down' to the point of 'quality start' is the new term for what used to be called an average start. In my opinion, a projected ERA of 4.50 doesn't spell quality to me, But, then again, "good is the new mediocre."

[/QUOTE]

When you are a rookie facing one of the best offenses in the league it's something to be optimistic about, I don't expect you to be optimistic about anything.....but others in here might actually be the cup is half full kinda people.

Unless of course something is wrong with us for not thinking the Sox are going to stink for a really really really long time because someone made a deal with a mythological being.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PaulLaCourse. Show PaulLaCourse's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Someone made a deal with the devil last year for the SOX to win it all. Now the devil is collecting. And he may be collecting for a long time. 

[/QUOTE]

Yes, Hank Steinbrenner

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Don't mean a thing if you ain't got that swing.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

When you are a rookie facing one of the best offenses in the league it's something to be optimistic about, I don't expect you to be optimistic about anything.....but others in here might actually be the cup is half full kinda people.

Unless of course something is wrong with us for not thinking the Sox are going to stink for a really really really long time because someone made a deal with a mythological being.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you're cup is half full alright, but I won't tell you what it's half full of.

Btw, if you don't like my 'deal with the devil' theory, have you got a better explanation for what happened last year? Please don't say "because the SOX were a very good team." Of course, that's exactly what you'll say. You're so predictable.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to PaulLaCourse's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes, Hank Steinbrenner

[/QUOTE]

Yes, Hank the Crank has his own devils to bear. I'm sure he's being haunted by George everyday.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you're cup is half full alright, but I won't tell you what it's half full of.

Btw, if you don't like my 'deal with the devil' theory, have you got a better explanation for what happened last year? Please don't say "because the SOX were a very good team." Of course, that's exactly what you'll say. You're so predictable.

[/QUOTE]

Because every year is different.  Different players, different outcomes, different performances, different levels of health, different charisma, and the competition changes as well.

But yes, there are "demonic" forces at work here and my cup is full of it...lol.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Yes, the Sox didn't win the world series because they were a very good team, they won it because they made a deal with the devil.

because there are so many examples of bad teams winning it all.

a game is random, many games can be random...but a 162 game season is by no means random.  A bad team can beat a good team in one game, and a decent team can get hot and win it all in the postseason.  But no team can't get to the playoffs and then win the last game of the season if they are in fact not a good team.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

A thought about the bottom of the ninth. Cespedes with a lead off single. Then Holt is used to sac bunt. Now, I am not a fan of the sac bunt in most cases and especially not here. Holt has the highest batting average on the team. A right hander on the mound. Hole on the right side as they hold Cespedes on. Why bunt and give up an out? Was that a good idea? Pedroia has 45 RBIs for the year. If he does not drive in the run, Ortiz will surely be walked. Napoli has only 44 RBIs on the year. Tough right hander on the mound. I say having Holt bunt was a mistake. This is not second guessing, just thinking about basic strategy. Not only does Holt have a better chance of getting a base hit than Pedroia or Napoli , but you basically took the bat out of Ortiz' hands. We will never know what would have happened if Holt had swung away, but that would have been the smarter move. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

With an attendance of only 35,000+ it appears that SOX fans have had enough the the FO's new era plan. John Henry stated the following "If we're only filling up 35,000 seats at Fenway, than we, as an organization, must drop this 'new era' plan and start going after as many overpriced players as possible. The fans have spoken and I'm listening. I want to return to those days when this team was good and we were selling 50,000 seats a night."

When Mr. Henry was informed that Fenway only holds a little over 36,000 fans, he responded by saying "OK then, we will stick to the 'new era' plan."

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

A thought about the bottom of the ninth. Cespedes with a lead off single. Then Holt is used to sac bunt. Now, I am not a fan of the sac bunt in most cases and especially not here. Holt has the highest batting average on the team. A right hander on the mound. Hole on the right side as they hold Cespedes on. Why bunt and give up an out? Was that a good idea? Pedroia has 45 RBIs for the year. If he does not drive in the run, Ortiz will surely be walked. Napoli has only 44 RBIs on the year. Tough right hander on the mound. I say having Holt bunt was a mistake. This is not second guessing, just thinking about basic strategy. Not only does Holt have a better chance of getting a base hit than Pedroia or Napoli , but you basically took the bat out of Ortiz' hands. We will never know what would have happened if Holt had swung away, but that would have been the smarter move. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

Like you, I am not a big proponent of the bunt, and I would have let Holt swing there too.  You're also right that if Pedroia doesn't get a hit Ortiz is going to be walked.

The only point I would argue is that Pedroia and Napoli's RBI totals don't necessarily reflect their productivity.