Gamethread Tuesday Red Sox @ Baltimore

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Gamethread Tuesday Red Sox @ Baltimore

#redsox: Holt LF, Bogaerts 3B, Pedroia 2B, Ortiz DH, Napoli 1B, Nava RF, Pierzynski C, Sizemore CF, Herrera SS, Workman RHP

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: Gamethread Tuesday Red Sox @ Baltimore

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe  ·  1h
    Felix Doubront in his AAA start this afternoon: 4.2 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 3 K, 75 pitches

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe  ·  2h
    #RedSox 8-16 since May 15. Hitting .241/.308/.352. Averaging 3.5 runs

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Retweeted by Pete Abraham Nick Cafardo @nickcafardo  · 
    Brandon Workman's appeal of a six-game suspension will be heard Friday by MLB.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Retweeted by Pete Abraham
    Joel Sherman @Joelsherman1  ·  1h
    Machado is being suspended 5 games and fined. Abad just getting a fine

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe  ·  46m
    Abad gets fined for “intentionally throwing” at Machado and Workman got 6 games for throwing at Longoria? Location means everything it seems

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Retweeted by Pete Abraham Ken Rosenthal @Ken_Rosenthal  ·  42m
    Told #RedSox’ Workman got 6 games because he was A) under a warning and B) threw near Longoria’s head. Neither applied to #Athletics’ Abad.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

#redsox: Holt LF, Bogaerts 3B, Pedroia 2B, Ortiz DH, Napoli 1B, Nava RF, Pierzynski C, Sizemore CF, Herrera SS, Workman RHP

This looks like Monday night except Pierzynski in for Ross.  I'm surprised if Drew is missing two games in a row against righty starters.  Also, once again no Bradley against a  righty starter.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe  ·  45s
    Bradley is 3-7 against Tillman with a double, a walk and 1 K but sits again for Sizemore

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

This looks like Monday night except Pierzynski in for Ross.  I'm surprised if Drew is missing two games in a row against righty starters.  Also, once again no Bradley against a  righty starter.  

Max, Drew has an oblique strain. Day to day.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Sizemore is 31 years old,and closing in on 200 at bats. time for him to  start stepping up.  And Drew is not J D but he is his brother.  It is not our fault he had no spring training.  Maybe he should have worked ou harder in preparation for signing.  He is taking the money, is he not, so he too needs to step up.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to billge's comment:

Sizemore is 31 years old,and closing in on 200 at bats. time for him to  start stepping up.  And Drew is not J D but he is his brother.  It is not our fault he had no spring training.  Maybe he should have worked ou harder in preparation for signing.  He is taking the money, is he not, so he too needs to step up.

he makes twice as much as Ortiz per plate appearance

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Retweeted by Pete Abraham
    Dennis Eckersley @Eck43  ·  21s
    I am shocked & incredibly saddened by the loss of my friend Bobby Welch. He was a special human being & all-time teammate. @athletics @mlb

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Sox will score double digits today.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

I hope so, time for a little pride..  Welch was a very good pitcher, sometimes great.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Hasn't been that long since the other Bob Welch passed away, has it ?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

What other choice does Farrell have to make the line up a better one.  Drew is nursing with injury and Bradley need day offs to try to get out of his slump.  Gomes is a righty.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I think they want to get a good look at Sizemore before they have to make a decision on him.

Stabbed by Foulke.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

I think they want to get a good look at Sizemore before they have to make a decision on him.

Stabbed by Foulke.

That's my thought, too, gale. It's do or die, and a decision needs to be a made in the near future, regarding Sizemore and Bradley.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

J-Bay, thanks for the explanation on Drew.  Sounds like his older brother who I believe was getting paid at the same rate--$14M/annum. 

So apparently Bradley is out because Nava and Sizemore are both assumed to be better hitters.  We already know the 3d outfielder, Holt, is, at least for now.  Or maybe these games are their last shots at sticking with the Sox. 

Tillman is on the mound for the Orioles tonight, desperately in need of a good outing.  He went one inning and gave up 5 his last time out and back in May went one and gave up 8.  His ERA is over 5.  Based on all available data, I think Tillman should go for a no-hitter tonight. 

One of the Globe writers commented a few weeks ago that the Sox in 2014 have struggled against righties and that the Sox were about to go against a bunch of them in a row.  And that, sports fans, is how the ten game losing streak started.  Last night's Orioles starter was a righty he started the night with an ERA of 4.20 or so, but he finished looking like Roger Clemens in his prime (take your pick on with or without PED).  The Sox 2-5 hitters were hitless.  But the outfield, Holt and Sizemore anyway, got 2 f the 3 hits, and Rossie got the other one.  Hitting with RISP last night wasn't that bad because almost no one actually got on base.  It was a night for Sox hitters to lean in and a HBP for the good of the club. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe  ·  45s
    Bradley is 3-7 against Tillman with a double, a walk and 1 K but sits again for Sizemore

I guess they want to give Sizemore one (or two) last chance. There's nothing to "showcase", so that's not the reason. I am sure that Farrell knows the stats!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe  · 
    “False” said Ben Cherington about the idea that the media pressured him into signing Drew. Said he recommended it to ownership, stands by it

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe  · 
    “False” said Ben Cherington about the idea that the media pressured him into signing Drew. Said he recommended it to ownership, stands by it

I don't recall there being any big media push to sign Drew.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe  · 

[object HTMLDivElement]     Can you imagine the reaction if Ben said, " Yeah, I signed Drew because the media was pressuring me to do it."

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

[QUOTE]

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe  · 

[object HTMLDivElement]     Can you imagine the reaction if Ben said, " Yeah, I signed Drew because the media was pressuring me to do it."

/QUOTE]

Actually, gale, I can't imagine the media is already questioning the signing, regardless of why.  Drew missed the entire spring training. the oblique injury is one that players go through, then. This is essentially his ST, regardless of how much training he did, on his own. I don't know how much Ben is on the road with the team, but it's interesting he's in Baltimore. May be deciding on Bradley and Sizemore. Victorino has started baseball activities and reportedly will start his rehab assignment, next week.

Sections
Shortcuts