Gammons on WEEI:Lowrie 'cynical' about Sox doctors/Dangerous’ to put Adrian Gonzalez in outfield/& other topics

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

Gammons on WEEI:Lowrie 'cynical' about Sox doctors/Dangerous’ to put Adrian Gonzalez in outfield/& other topics

WEEI:

MLB Network and NESN analyst Peter Gammons made his weekly appearance on the Mut & Merloni show Wednesday to talk about the Red Sox.
    One of the big topics lately has been how the Red Sox will handle interleague play on the road when they cannot use a designated hitter. Either David Ortiz or Adrian Gonzalez will be forced to sit so the other can play first base, or Gonzalez will have to play in the outfield, something he has only done once during his career.

“I think [Terry Francona] might use Gonzalez for a couple of games, one in left field in Philadelphia and one in left field in Houston, which are both short,” Gammons said. “Otherwise, I don’t think they will get too fancy. I think they will rely on their pitching to get by. It’s tough, they are both in the top five offensive players in the American League, but as long as baseball plays by two different rules, this is one of the things you have to live with.

“I just think it’s dangerous. If Gonzalez runs into a wall or something, you lose him for three weeks. That’s a lot worse than losing two out of three in Philadelphia or Pittsburgh.”

If the Sox were to make it to the World Series, they would be faced with this dilemma again. Gammons said Gonzalez likely would not play in the outfield in a World Series game. He noted back in the 1993 World Series, the Blue Jays sat John Olerud and Paul Molitor in order to go with the best defensive team.

Gammons was asked about outfielder Josh Reddick and what he sees his role with the team going forth.

“I think he’s a guy that can hit .270, .280,” he said. “He has improved a lot as far seeing the ball out of the pitcher’s hand and swinging at strikes. He’s got a wide bat. He’s a very good outfielder who is exceptional at charging the ball and throwing. To me, that’s his greatest skill. In some ways I think of him of being a fourth outfielder, but I think a pretty good one. I don’t think he has the ceiling of Ryan Kalish, but I do think he can be a pretty useful player.”

The struggles of J.D. Drew also were brought up.

“Last night he went back to being indecisive on fastballs,” Gammons said. ”He looked like he was up there praying for a walk every time. I think there is some concern as to where Mike Cameron is at this point and what is he going to be. If there is one thing they might do it’s getting a right-handed-hitting outfielder.”

Gammons brought up Cubs utility man Jeff Baker and Rockies outfielder Ryan Spilborghs as players the Sox might go after.

Kevin Youkilis has been bothered of late by a bad ankle. “I think there’s a lot pain in there,” Gammons said.

Yamaico Navarro, himself recovering from an oblique injury, appears to be the player the Sox will call up from the minors to play a role if Youkilis or another player needs some time off.

“I’ve been told that basically they’re hoping Navarro gets enough at-bats and enough playing time [to get ready quickly],” Gammons said. “He’s going to probably end up coming up here, because he can play short, he can play second, he can play third. And he’s turned out to be pretty decent in right and left. Plus, he can swing the bat.

“I know they think that he’s going to be a really important guy to this team, because he’s got so much versatility. He’s so young. And he’s grown up a lot in the last year. [Pawtucket manager] Arnie Beyeler, they tell me, has done a great job with him.”

Andrew Miller made his first start with the Sox this week, and he made a good first impression. There is speculation that he eventually will provide help to the bullpen, but that is not what the Sox see in him, Gammons said.

“I can envision that, although the answer I got yesterday was, ‘No, we envision him as being a starter, with the potential of being a big-time power starter,’ ” Gammons said.

Miller was rushed into the majors when he was with the Tigers, according to Gammons, hurting his development.

“This is a remake of a guy who turned 26 last month,” Gammons said. “He is very young. That stuff is really good. They think he can play as a starter. … He’s got his delivery straightened out. I think you may see him start a lot and then, if they get to the postseason, I think he will be a major guy in the bullpen with [Daniel] Bard and [Bobby] Jenks and so forth.

“He’s really an interesting guy. This has the potential to be one of the great steals. You have to understand, he never threw a changeup before this year. That was a really good pitch [for him Monday night]. … He’s a really interesting guy. He’s very smart. They’ve done a good job of letting him redefine himself and rediscover how much fun it is to play.”

With the Red Sox winning some recent games by double digits, it was brought up that maybe Bard and Jonathan Papelbon have not seen action, but Gammons indicated he does not see that as a problem.

“Terry said to me was he needed to back off Bard,” Gammons said. “He was fourth in the league in appearances and he was on an 88-inning pace at one point and he really wanted to back him off. As it turned out, [Alfredo] Aceves really bailed them out with three two-plus-innings relief appearances that kept them from going to Bard and Papelbon. We all agree that there will be stretches that they need these guys a ton in July and August. They’ve done a good job resting him.”

Gammons also touched on Aceves’ issues with catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia Tuesday night.

“Aceves as a starter is an adventure,” he said. “Saltalamacchia had no idea what was coming. He would put down a sign, and [Aceves] would throw whatever he wanted to throw.”

Gammons ended by discussing the shoulder injury to Jed Lowrie.

“They have no idea [how bad it is],” he said. “He told me that he’s gotten two different opinions. Jed went through this with the wrist. He got two different opinions, they went with the first one, it cost him almost a year of his career. So, to say that he’s a little cynical about what goes on here, that’s kind.”

Added Gammons: “They don’t think it’s bad, they don’t think it will be more than two or three weeks. But until he sees Dr. [Lewis] Yocum, he basically isn’t going to believe what he hears.”

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

Re: Gammons on WEEI:Lowrie 'cynical' about Sox doctors/Dangerous’ to put Adrian Gonzalez in outfield/& other topics

if there is a major league player that needs better nutrition and to hit the weight room it's lowrie, the guy could be a really good player but he is ALWAYS hurt and has more balls die on the track than i've ever seen.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Re: Gammons on WEEI:Lowrie 'cynical' about Sox doctors/Dangerous’ to put Adrian Gonzalez in outfield/& other topics

In Response to Re: Gammons on WEEI:Lowrie 'cynical' about Sox doctors/Dangerous’ to put Adrian Gonzalez in outfield/& other topics:
    [QUOTE]if there is a major league player that needs better nutrition and to hit the weight room it's lowrie, the guy could be a really good player but he is ALWAYS hurt and has more balls die on the track than i've ever seen.
    Posted by fourrings[/QUOTE]Actually Gammons covers the claim that Lowrie is always hurt.

Jed Lowrie had on-going issues from one injury, his wrist which he played through in 2008 and caused him to miss most of 2009. That in fact is the reason he wanted to get a second opinion from Yocum, the course of treatment that RS used was ineffective. That doesn't necessarily mean it was faulty just that it ended up that the injury was a prolonged problem.

The wrist is the only serious injury that this guy has ever had. Anything else is pretty much the normal stuff that all players experience in the way of injury.

He missed much of 2010 because he contracted mono.

As for balls dying on the track, that is who Jed Lowrie is. He is a gap power infielder, not a home run hitter.

His injury this started with a collision on a fly ball. It sounds like it might be more serious than they thought and his going to Yocum can only be productive to find out. The RS medical staff is not above reproach, they have missed a few calls over time and second opinions can't hurt. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Gammons on WEEI:Lowrie 'cynical' about Sox doctors/Dangerous’ to put Adrian Gonzalez in outfield/& other topics:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gammons on WEEI:Lowrie 'cynical' about Sox doctors/Dangerous’ to put Adrian Gonzalez in outfield/& other topics : Actually Gammons covers the claim that Lowrie is always hurt. Jed Lowrie had on-going issues from one injury, his wrist which he played through in 2008 and caused him to miss most of 2009. That in fact is the reason he wanted to get a second opinion from Yocum, the course of treatment that RS used was ineffective. That doesn't necessarily mean it was faulty just that it ended up that the injury was a prolonged problem. The wrist is the only serious injury that this guy has ever had. Anything else is pretty much the normal stuff that all players experience in the way of injury. He missed much of 2010 because he contracted mono. As for balls dying on the track, that is who Jed Lowrie is. He is a gap power infielder, not a home run hitter. His injury this started with a collision on a fly ball. It sounds like it might be more serious than they thought and his going to Yocum can only be productive to find out. The RS medical staff is not above reproach, they have missed a few calls over time and second opinions can't hurt. 
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

Maybe they went to the Mets school of sports medicine, LOL. In all seriousness, injuries are easy to be too optimistic/overly hopeful about; recall Garciaparra's wrist, Beltran's knee and Wang's foot; the jury is still out on ARod's hip, and the current notable injuries on the Mets (I. Davis-ankle, Wright-back, Santana-shoulder) seem to have no firm return timetable. Ditto R. Soriano on the Yankees.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gammons on WEEI:Lowrie 'cynical' about Sox doctors/Dangerous’ to put Adrian Gonzalez in outfield/& other topics : Maybe they went to the Mets school of sports medicine, LOL. In all seriousness, injuries are easy to be too optimistic/overly hopeful about; recall Garciaparra's wrist, Beltran's knee and Wang's foot; the jury is still out on ARod's hip, and the current injuries on the Mets (I. Davis, Wright) seems to have no firm timetable for their return.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]To me it isn't isolated to the RS medical staff, but a team's medical staff has to balance the best course of action for the patient with the best course action for the team.

It often ends up with a diagnosis of rest and hope for the best so as not to lose the player for a prolonged period. Jed Lowrie, Mike Lowell, Jacoby Ellsbury, Curt Schilling (08), Keith Foulke and Matt Clement are notable RS that this seemed to be the case with. At best when the rest and hope treatment is wrong the player delays the inevitable and the team losses more playing time not less and at its worst it effectively can end a guy's effective career (Clement, Foulke, Lowell).

I am sure it an industry problem, I just have more knowledge of the RS issues because I follow the team closely.  While the RS don't like it and the hosts were trying to get Peter to connect Lowrie's seeing Yocum with Ellsbury's situation last year, it is no surprise that Lowrie being frustrated with his healing process wanted to see Yocum.

Just my takes

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

You nailed it katz.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

The reality is that players from the old days simply accepted the risk of athletics and getting paid what they thought was a lot of money. Every player must play with injuries. Every career is a short career, compared to the real world.

Player don't balance anything at all except making as much as possible for as long as possible. In reality, teams aren't balancing anything when it comes to the millions they invest in each player. They spend a fortune on every player, outside of the money spent on just the salary. Needless to say, it's intellectually dishonest to claim that a team is going to risk career impairing injury for the sake of a veteran player they have under contract for more than a year or a young player they have control of. The only case where a team has any interest to push the envelope with a player's health is a veteran player who is in the final playoff stage of the final contract year, and they have no intention of bidding on him in FA.

But, any labor hand has the right to file a claim for arbitration on any issue involving "force/pressured to play with serious health risk issues", in the few cases where a team might actually have an interest in risking a player's long term health beyond the team control or contract.

Lowrie is a player the Red Sox would like to be able to have the option of trading with a decent trade value. They can easily replace him, temporarily, with what is already in-house, without losing much of anything in performance. They have no interest whatsoever in playing Lowrie prematurely when there is increased risk of long term injury.

In the case of Ellsbury, his own doctor cleared him to play but he still lasted no more than few games because the team was unlikley to make the playoffs and they saw no reason to risk injury even if it was normal injury risk for the last month or two of last season. The reality is that Ellsbury and his agent indicted the Red Sox management without any valid basis for doing so, whatsoever.

The simple truth is that most members of the MLBPA have their entire focus on how much money they can make in the entertainment business, which is dependent upon how many years they can play. Lowrie and Ellsbury could care less about how the Red Sox, or any other team they are with, do as a team, except in how much money it might mean to them. 

Athletics involve the inherent risk of injury and career ending injury from playing with prior injury conditions. There are very few scenarios where the owners of teams are going to risk the millions they have invested, just to get a few more games or weeks out of a player who risks career damaging injury. So simply listing player who have gone down with career damaging or ending injury and assigning the blame to the team is a reckless diregard for truth or falsity.

Theo should learn his lesson. He should have traded Lowrie, a greater than normal headcase problem, last winter. He is fortunate to have Ellsbury playing all out for his contract (pulled up on a very catchable ball in Game 2 v. Padres so he would avoid hitting the bullpen short wall hard) and on a current above career averages hot streak. Because the team has a greater current and long term need for a solid RH young OF'er than a lefty punch and judy speedster OF'er (they have plenty of depth there), he should prepare to solicit offers for Ellsbury and sell high by this winter. Ellsbury is the same player his career averages said he was at the end of 2009. No more.

He had 2011 covered at SS, without Lowrie, on the farm and with Scutaro. In addition, very simple to get a John McDonald or similar UIF for emergency coverage, in the event of a long term injury.

The Red Sox should do what they are doing, as a protocol. With each MLBPA member complaint about pain and injury concern, give them as much rope as they want to pull out. Let Lowrie get all the opinions he wants, and pay half of the 2nd opinion. Encourage him to pay for one or two more opinions, if he needs the peace of mind. What this policy does is expose players who aren't willing to accept any future contract impariment risk at all. Without any comment, coldly calculate, as a business must do, and prepare to trade out and part ways with these kind of players.

Now, there is little chance any team will assign much value to Lowrie, unless he goes the next 4 or 5 months of MLB duty and plays the number of games a late 20's player averages in MLB service. He was a lousy defensive SS from the get go, and his head case issues were obvious for years. Theo continues to show his incompetence on what a SS is all about.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

The redmannotdeadman is back and with another diatribe against, guess who, Lowrie and Ellsbury.  Quelle surpise. 

And this time the charge is, get ready now, self interest.  They and they alone among 750 MLB players--to say nothing of the several billion people who inhabit this planet--want to make a buck or even a ton of bucks.  For shame. 

Meanwhile, of course, the great J.D. Drew is willing to accept the paltry salary of $14M a year because for him it's all about the love of the game.  He loves the game so much he's even happy watching it from the bench and, as the situation arises, while standing in the batter's box.  The very essence of the team player, a man with true aficion.  

The simple fact is that every apprentice player still under the control of team yearns for the one big contract that will give him financial security.  Who can blame him/them?  

The other simple fact is that almost all players love being on winning teams with a shot at the playoffs and maybe the WS.    AGon does have that long-term security with a heckuva contract, but his current enthusiasm--he's started every single game this year--is the result of being on a real contender which he has clearly made better. 

As for Ellsbury, he clearly wants to succeed this year, not only because of the financial benefit he foresees, but also because he wants to disprove all those nasty allegations from the likes of softy redmannotdeadman--to say nothing of demonstrating that he can still play the game at a high level.

Except, of course, that there is no satisfying the redman.  I too saw Ellsbury avoid crashing into that wall at full tilt and thought it was a smart play--for him and for his team--because he is way, way better than any other outfielder the Sox have.  He is 2d in the entire AL in hits, 5th in runs scored, the best leadoff hitter in the AL, etc.  And his fielding is at least adequate--he has, for example, the best assists to errors ratio of all MLB outfielders with 5 assists (that's right) and 0 errors.  Funny how redmannotdeadman missed that later catch Ellsbury made deep in the centerfield triangle.  No other outfielder on this team would have made that catch and maybe no one else either (with the possible exception of Coco Crisp, who is both good and knowledgeable of Fenway's bermuda triangle). 

As for Lowrie, he's stupid not to get a second opinion because this is his livelihood. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

"As for Lowrie, he's stupid not to get a second opinion because this is his livelihood." 

Max, I assume you mean he would be stupid to not get another opinion, as he is getting one.   But that's really only because he's a such a "headcase," I guess (he said, tongue planted firmly in cheek).

What really jumped out at me, though, was Gammons' statement regarding Aceves, to wit:

“Aceves as a starter is an adventure ... Saltalamacchia had no idea what was coming. He would put down a sign, and [Aceves] would throw whatever he wanted to throw.”

To which I say, "oh-oh."

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

If Ellsbury is the best outfielder the Red Sox have, the Red Sox have a lousy outfield.

Since his rookie season, in 12 career years in MLB, Drew has averaged 123 games a season. He played in over 100 games in every one of those seasons but one, 2005 he played 72 games.

Since his rookie season, Bellsbury has averaged 105 games a season. In 2010, after just 18 games, he quit and took his glove home.

No way Bellsbury has the career Drew has had in MLB. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]If Ellsbury is the best outfielder the Red Sox have, the Red Sox have a lousy outfield. Since his rookie season, in 12 career years in MLB, Drew has averaged 123 games a season. He played in over 100 games in every one of those seasons but one, 2005 he played 72 games. Since his rookie season, Bellsbury has averaged 105 games a season. In 2010, after just 18 games, he quit and took his glove home.
    Posted by betterredthandead[/QUOTE]

Right, and if Ellsbury plays 153 games this year like he did in 2009, that will boost his average back to 117 games.  Nice try with the short-sample wacky math, though.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]If Ellsbury is the best outfielder the Red Sox have, the Red Sox have a lousy outfield. Since his rookie season, in 12 career years in MLB, Drew has averaged 123 games a season. He played in over 100 games in every one of those seasons but one, 2005 he played 72 games. Since his rookie season, Bellsbury has averaged 105 games a season. In 2010, after just 18 games, he quit and took his glove home. No way Bellsbury has the career Drew has had in MLB. 

Really?.......REALLY???  

2007 Ellsbury wasn't called up his rookie season until August
    2008 Coco Crisp was still the starting CF
    2009 full time CF played in 153 games 
    2011 Ellsbury has only started 74 games.....oh wait Boston has ONLY PLAYED 74 games

"after 18 games he QUIT  and went home" 

You need to chill with the Ellsbury hate a bit, the guy had BROKEN RIBS but it sounds like you wouldn't know the first thing about injury. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I also wouldnt call Ellsbury a Punch and Judy hitter.....he is a centerfielder not a Corner outfielder....and he in pace this year for 48 doubles and 18 hrs....power he is developing as he gets older, which is pretty common....and numbers that are more than acceptable for a Center Fielder who steals 60 bases.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]I also wouldnt call Ellsbury a Punch and Judy hitter.....he is a centerfielder not a Corner outfielder....and he in pace this year for 48 doubles and 18 hrs....power he is developing as he gets older, which is pretty common....and numbers that are more than acceptable for a Center Fielder who steals 60 bases.
    Posted by tomnev[/QUOTE]

He could steal a heck of a lot more if he knew how to get a lead!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Soounds of Softy Red choking on Ells crow is music to my ears.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

False. In the ALCS, Crisp was made the starter because of Bellsbury's ineptitude.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

2010 Ellsbury has only started 74 games.....oh wait Boston has ONLY PLAYED 74 games

You don't know what year it is. Oh well, let me remind you. It's 2011, and Bellsbury played 18 marathon games in 2010.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]2010 Ellsbury has only started 74 games.....oh wait Boston has ONLY PLAYED 74 games You don't know what year it is. Oh well, let me remind you. It's 2011, and Bellsbury played 18 marathon games in 2010.

That was obviously a typo, 

Your not a dumb person softy so I'm sure you figured that out which means your either being a complete....you know what, or you completely 100% missed the point, so just in case you missed the point.

Ellsbury has played in every single game this year. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]2008 Coco Crisp was still the starting CF False. In the ALCS, Crisp was made the starter because of Bellsbury's ineptitude.

UMM yeah he was CoCo Crisp started 4 of the first 5 games.  It didn't take Ellsbury long to take the position away, but If crisp wasn't on the opening day roster Ellsbury would likely of played in more than 145 games.

Remember Crisp did have 409 PA in 118 games and in case you forgot there are 162 games in a season....so you can see how that MIGHT, just a little, perhaps just tad bit eat into your playing time as a young player starting his first season in the bigs. 

And once again you are missing the point.  I don't care if Ellsbury or Coco crisp started the season or the ALCS, the point was Coco crisp had significant playing time and was starting in CF in 2008 untill after a few weeks when Ellsbury pretty much took over full time.

And in case you forgot, Ellsbury had his best months towards the end of the 2008 season. batting .340 in September and October and batted .333 in the division series that year.  he got cold in the LCS...but that is completely irrelevant to my point, and has steered the conversation way off topic....good job. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Since his rookie season, Bellsbury has averaged 105 games a season. In 2010, after just 18 games, he quit and took his glove home.

Yeah..lets just add in the injury year to bring it down..The goalposts heave moved yet again..Just like you tried adding in Wakes injury year to his stats..Nobody is buying it softy..Nobody...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

False. In the ALCS, Crisp was made the starter because of Bellsbury's ineptitude.
    In 2008...
    Crisp started 15 games in March/April. (Sox played 29)
    Crisp started 18 games in May and 20 in June. (Sox 29 in May/27 June)
    He also came in late severl games all year and started 13 out of 24  in July.
    He started 16/27 in August and 17 our of 26 in September.

Total games played in CF:
    Crisp 102 for 407 PAs
    Ellsb  65 for 287 PAs

Softy only tells half the story, which is better than usual for him.  Ellsbury knocked Crisp out of the starting playoff CF job in 2007 after Coco went 5 for 32 in the first 2 rounds, and Coco returned the favor in 2008 by going 10 for 24 as Jacoby's "replacement". Jacoby went 7 for 16 in the 2007 world series after "replacing" Coco, but after going 6 for 18 with 2 BB against LAA in the first round of 2008, he went o for 14 and was "replaced" by Crisp. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Get two different opinions and just go with one? Really? Wouldn't that imply that someone is completely wrong? I think he should definitely get another opinion. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Given Jed's history, he should get at least a dozen opinions.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Total games played in CF:
    Crisp 102 for 407 PAs
    Ellsb  65 for 287 PAs

Good point. Crisp was the starter in 2008, while Ellsbury came off the bench. In 2008, Crisp started more games in the outfield than Ellsbury. Crisp was the starter, while Ellsbury was the bench guy. Thank you for making that important distinction, Moonslow.

Sections
Shortcuts