Gammons think Sox will "try" to get Jimenez

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RawckinSox. Show RawckinSox's posts

Gammons think Sox will "try" to get Jimenez

Gammons wouldn't rule out a trade with Colorado for Ubaldo Jiménez, another name that has been linked to many recent trade rumors. Jiménez -- 6-8 with a 4.00 ERA for the Rockies this season -- is just 27 years old and for $18 million over the next three seasons.

"He [Theo Epstein] is going to try," Gammons said. "Now, I know [Colorado GM] Dan O'Dowd has said he can't take a deal similar to the one the Indians got on Colon or the Rangers got on Teixeira. They took Double-A down to Single-A players and could wait two or three years. He can't do that, so I don't see it."

What do you think? With Buchs health up in the air, and John Lackey being John Lackluster do you think Theo has what it takes to land Jimenez?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Re: Gammons think Sox will "try" to get Jimenez

He is someone I would go after.  Even if Buch comes back, the Sox still need a 5th starter. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Gammons think Sox will "try" to get Jimenez:
    [QUOTE]Gammons wouldn't rule out a trade with Colorado for Ubaldo Jiménez, another name that has been linked to many recent trade rumors. Jiménez -- 6-8 with a 4.00 ERA for the Rockies this season -- is just 27 years old and for $18 million over the next three seasons. "He [Theo Epstein] is going to try," Gammons said. "Now, I know [Colorado GM] Dan O'Dowd has said he can't take a deal similar to the one the Indians got on Colon or the Rangers got on Teixeira. They took Double-A down to Single-A players and could wait two or three years. He can't do that, so I don't see it." What do you think? With Buchs health up in the air, and John Lackey being John Lackluster do you think Theo has what it takes to land Jimenez?
    Posted by RawckinSox[/QUOTE]

Trading for Jimenez would probably be a great move and put our staff right up there with the Phils.  Only 27, good ERA home or away of around 3.60 and he pitches in a hitters park so those are the numbers that stand, not his win or loss record.

Beckett
    Lester
    Buchholz
    Jimenez
    Wake
    Lackey "well it looks good up to this point"

Miller I can see part of the trade

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from peanutandme. Show peanutandme's posts

To get a pitcher like Jimenez it will take quite a bit. Just whom I don't really know,  but it seems it would be 3 or 4 player's, two which would probably be ML ready or all ready in the Big's.

My question would be, is Jimenez the pitcher of 2010, or the pitcher of 2011?

Their have been many pitcher's like Jimenez who brust on the scene only to level off and not be that outstanding pitcher everyone thought he waa going to be.

Also if he really is that 2010 good, then why would the  Rockies be so anxious to move him? Maybe they see something no one else has seen.
    I would be willingly to trade for him, only  I would only give 2 player's and not our top prospects.

But again it seems that the Sox will competing against the Yankee's for his services, so the price will probably be higher than it should be.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I'd love to get Ubaldo, though I don't know how much Colo will want for him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Gammons think Sox will "try" to get Jimenez:
    [QUOTE]To get a pitcher like Jimenez it will take quite a bit. Just whom I don't really know,  but it seems it would be 3 or 4 player's, two which would probably be ML ready or all ready in the Big's. My question would be, is Jimenez the pitcher of 2010, or the pitcher of 2011? Their have been many pitcher's like Jimenez who brust on the scene only to level off and not be that outstanding pitcher everyone thought he waa going to be. Also if he really is that 2010 good, then why would the  Rockies be so anxious to move him? Maybe they see something no one else has seen. I would be willingly to trade for him, only  I would only give 2 player's and not our top prospects. But again it seems that the Sox will competing against the Yankee's for his services, so the price will probably be higher than it should be.
    Posted by peanutandme[/QUOTE]

If you look at all of his years I don't think he has changed much.  2010 may have been his best year but he has always done pretty well as a whole. 

Don't just judge him by his 2010 Stats.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

[QUOTE]Gammons wouldn't rule out a trade with Colorado for Ubaldo Jiménez, another name that has been linked to many recent trade rumors. Jiménez -- 6-8 with a 4.00 ERA for the Rockies this season -- is just 27 years old and for $18 million over the next three seasons. "He [Theo Epstein] is going to try," Gammons said. "Now, I know [Colorado GM] Dan O'Dowd has said he can't take a deal similar to the one the Indians got on Colon or the Rangers got on Teixeira. They took Double-A down to Single-A players and could wait two or three years. He can't do that, so I don't see it." What do you think? With Buchs health up in the air, and John Lackey being John Lackluster do you think Theo has what it takes to land Jimenez?

Gammons is the voice of doom.  Whatever the old coot says, the opposite happens. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

Good pitcher with some more growing to do.  Why not?  Always need extra arms, and his is very solid. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jb12bb. Show jb12bb's posts

Not going to happen.  Theo does not have the bullets in the gun to pull off that move.

Ranaudo,
    Dubront
    Reddick
    Middlebrooks would have to be involved and Theo is not that dumb.

Theo knows he has a good team, they need two more peices, a right handed OF with pop and a Lefty reliver.  I think the team will stand pat on the pricer options and try to let some younger guys step up and prove themselves. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Forget the pros and cons with Ubaldo and there are plenty of both. The RS don't have the AAA ready to play in MLB prospects that will pry Ubaldo from Colorado.

Gammons is being Gammons. He has a lot of insight but tends to fill air time sometimes.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from OhEFFU. Show OhEFFU's posts

[QUOTE] My question would be, is Jimenez the pitcher of 2010, or the pitcher of 2011? Posted by peanutandme[/QUOTE]

2011.  This is 2011.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

This could just be a ploy to drive up the price for the Yankees, who I hope don't bite.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wlbpatriotsfan. Show wlbpatriotsfan's posts

Yankee scouts feel that Jimenez is too emotional to function in a big market city.  Potential for shoulder problems also a concern.  According to Francesa, Yanks no longer have interest in him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Yankee scouts feel that Jimenez is too emotional to function in a big market city.  Potential for shoulder problems also a concern.  According to Francesa, Yanks no longer have interest in him.
    Posted by wlbpatriotsfan[/QUOTE]

Anytime a source comes out of NY that states the Yanks don't have interest, expect the opposite.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gammons think Sox will "try" to get Jimenez : Anytime a source comes out of NY that states the Yanks don't have interest, expect the opposite.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

That can be true anywhere; I hope the Yankees stay away.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from qball369. Show qball369's posts

Are we really sure we want to give the whole farm system away for a pitcher who has only had one exceptional year (1/2 really) - whose current whip (1.31)puts him at 60 in MLB (projects to a mid # 3 starter)

Career whip 1.27, career ERA a respectable 3.59 - walks a lot of guys and doen't have an overwhelming win-loss % -

If you are willing to give the store away I would think the Sox could aim a little higher than Jimenez

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gammons think Sox will "try" to get Jimenez : Anytime a source comes out of NY that states the Yanks don't have interest, expect the opposite.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

Dead on.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

I wouldn't give up half the farm for this guy let a long the whole thing. He is good, for a NL West pitcher. But to go form the weekest division to the hardest and expecting him to be even better than he has been this year is just crazy. Last year he had an amazing first half, after that up too this point has been average at best. I would rather go after a bigger prize if Theo wants to start giving up 4+ MLB ready prospects from our farm.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

there seems to be a huge gap between what these teams want...and what teams are willing to give up for the big name free agents this year.  Granted any good salesman is going to start off with a higher price and give himself the ability to come down in his price and still make a profit, but to me these big names that seem like good fits just aren't the price considering they are luxury's at this point.

Jimenez you can make the argument is more than a luxury as the rotation has thinned out a bit, but Lester is coming back soon and Miller/Wakefield/Aceves/Weiland/ and possibly even soon Doubront can provide much needed depth.  Personally I'm happy with this team, if anything I would like to see (seems to be the case every year) the bullpen strengthened up.  Come playoff time, were going to need a stronger pen. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]there seems to be a huge gap between what these teams want...and what teams are willing to give up for the big name free agents this year.  Granted any good salesman is going to start off with a higher price and give himself the ability to come down in his price and still make a profit, but to me these big names that seem like good fits just aren't the price considering they are luxury's at this point. Jimenez you can make the argument is more than a luxury as the rotation has thinned out a bit, but Lester is coming back soon and Miller/Wakefield/Aceves/Weiland/ and possibly even soon Doubront can provide much needed depth.  Personally I'm happy with this team, if anything I would like to see (seems to be the case every year) the bullpen strengthened up.  Come playoff time, were going to need a stronger pen. 
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]

hugh, I like our team as well but it certainly wouldn't hurt to have another solid starter down the stretch and especially the PS if any of the "big three" can't go.  I think Aceves would get my nod at this point over Miller, Wake, or Lackey who would probably get the nod from management in the PS.

Miller could be our lefty out of the pen in the PS.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from iamme17. Show iamme17's posts

A decent young starter is on every teams must have list....how do the sox compete for a trade when half the teams in baseball have better farm systems with better prospects than the sox?Not gonna happen.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

I think theo should do all he can to bring ubaldo to boston. He is exactly what the sox need. Even more so than a guy like hunter pence. Our offence will be fine. Our pitching on the other hand is far from a sure thing. And i would not call ubaldo a luxury when your number 2 start is just coming off the DL in a week, your number 3 starter is going to be back sometime in august and your 4/5 spots are occupied by the unpredictable and usually terrible john lackey and tim "the floater" wakefield. The thing people dont seem get is that starters 1-5 all make the same number of starts and are all equally important. Look at the phillies, they have hamels in the 4 spot who is pretty equivalent to clay buchholz. They have doc, lee, and oswalt in teh 1-3. If the sox add ubaldo they will have a rotation that equals the phillies. Ubaldo is more of a need than a luxury. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

[QUOTE] In Response to Gammons think Sox will "try" to get Jimenez : A decent young starter is on every teams must have list....how do the sox compete for a trade when half the teams in baseball have better farm systems with better prospects than the sox?Not gonna happen.
    Posted by iamme17[/QUOTE]

Yes other teams have better farm systems but the sox have 2 things going for them that would seperate them fromt he pack to an extent. 1) they are willing to give up the prospects 2) it makes sense for them to trade their prospects for a proven guy like ubaldo. Many of the teams who have high ranked farm systems also happen to be the teams that are not in contention this year so it doesnt make sense to trade a bunch of good prospects for 1 proven guy. Even the yankees realize that they have too many holes in thier rotation to trade 2 of their top pitching prospect for ubaldo. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Many of the other teams with a lot of prospects also have a lot more holes to fill. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Thats true....it isnt who you have, its who you are willing to give up. I guarantee you the Sox have enough pieces to get Jiminez, but probably not ones they would be willing to part with. Not when they already have 45mm invested in their current rotation...and that doesnt even count Dice K's 10mm+. The Lackey deal has severly limited their ability to get another big name pitcher