Gammons think Sox will "try" to get Jimenez

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Gammons think Sox will "try" to get Jimenez

In Response to Re: Gammons think Sox will "try" to get Jimenez:
    [QUOTE]Kershaw would be a much better acquisition but it would take far more to get him. However , if Jimenez can be acquired, I'd trade Salty, Navarro, and Bowden for him, and bring up Lavarnway. Kershaw would probably require Reddick or Iglesias, plus two other mid-level guys.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Interesting offer. I wonder how much Salty's stock has risen since he was nearly given away last year. I think Colorado would want more than that, maybe Salty, Middlebrooks and Doubront.

Kershaw would take the above plus Iglesias and Bowden.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i dont think the rockies would be interested in a catcher. They would be more interested in lars anderson than salty. They already have ianetta who is better than salty and one of their top prospects is a catcher.(if not their top prospect) Ya i would take kershaw over ubaldo too, but there is not way the dodgers trade kershaw and even if they considered trading him the cost would be insane. I would give the rockies kalish, doubront/weiland/ranaudo (they get to pick one), anderson, and someone like fife/wilson/ some other second tier guy. Anderson would be their 1st baseman of the future to take over for helton, kalish would complete their outfield, ranaudo(who they would probably choose) has the potential to be a top of the line starter, and whichever 2nd tier guy they choose (could even be navarro) would have use to them.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

[QUOTE]i dont think the rockies would be interested in a catcher. They would be more interested in lars anderson than salty. They already have ianetta who is better than salty and one of their top prospects is a catcher.(if not their top prospect) Ya i would take kershaw over ubaldo too, but there is not way the dodgers trade kershaw and even if they considered trading him the cost would be insane. I would give the rockies kalish, doubront/weiland/ranaudo (they get to pick one), anderson, and someone like fife/wilson/ some other second tier guy. Anderson would be their 1st baseman of the future to take over for helton, kalish would complete their outfield, ranaudo(who they would probably choose) has the potential to be a top of the line starter, and whichever 2nd tier guy they choose (could even be navarro) would have use to them.
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE]
    I'd do THAT deal in a heartbeat !

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

And as for the concerns about ubaldo. I dont really understand why people are so concerned. So his fastball dropped from 97-98 mph to 95-96mph? So what. Maybe he realized he was overthrowing the ball last year and decided to take something off to gain a bit more control? And ya he started slow no doubt, but if you look at his numbers since the beginning of june he has pretty well returned to form from last year. He posted a 2.45 era in june, and so far in july has posted a 2.77 era. And keep in mind, our very own josh beckett has dropped a couple of mph off his fastball over past year or so and he is doing just fine. I would not worry about a guys velocity when he tops out at 96 mph and occasionally touches 97. Not to mention that he has filthy off speed stuff, so throwing 95-96 is not a problem.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Kershaw would be a much better acquisition but it would take far more to get him. However , if Jimenez can be acquired, I'd trade Salty, Navarro, and Bowden for him, and bring up Lavarnway. Kershaw would probably require Reddick or Iglesias, plus two other mid-level guys.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Unrealistic

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsox0426. Show redsox0426's posts

Rockies are likely not to even want Iglesias considering they have Tulo locked up for the next decade. Rockies will likely want Kalish, Ranaudo, and Doubront, plus one other mid-level prospect. 

Considering Sox have Reddick, Kalish shouldn't be a huge loss now, as long as Reddick proves to be consistently dependable.
    Ranaudo would be the biggest loss in this deal, as he has the potential to be better and more affordable than Ubaldo by 2014 or 2015.
    Doubront is worth giving up, as it doesn't seem like he will crack the Sox rotation. 

Bowden or Anderson may end up being the 4th player in the deal, as they are no longer considered elite prospects. 

Interesting article from bleacher report: 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Will Middlebrooks is going to be the name everybody asks for and will want Ranaudo as part of the stocking stuffer. Then add a AAA player of quality of your choice and now the Rockies or others might listen.

Think about it. What is there always a shortage of at the MLB level? Great hitting 3B.

The A-Gon trade should be instructional I think. The RS because their best prospects were not in AAA and ready to play in MLB had to give up more. They had to give up three highly touted prospects. Their best position OPS position player, their best pitching prospect in terms of ceiling and a green but very highly thought of CF. Keep in mind Kershaw only has 2.105 years of MLB service so far making him very cost friendly. Ubaldo is only makin $2.8M and is under team control through 2014 at a cost of only $18M. That adds a lot to selling price versus a player like A-Gon in his walk year with an anticipated open market value to retain of $20M a year or more.

The RS business model is not sustainable unless some percentage of the roster is playing in their cost contained years. Trading six of your best prospects in one calendar year when you draft where the RS do and a new CBA possibly coming that may end international players being draft exempt is not conducive to balancing the roster over time.

I personally think that Gammons whiffed on this one and Henry pretty much said as much last night when he talked about the prospects of the RS making a deadline deal. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

fivekatz,

what you dont understand is that if the sox dont trade 3 or 4 prospects they end will up losing some for nothing in the rule 5 draft. They do not have enough spots on the 40 man roster to protect all of their prospects for the upcoming rule 5 draft. And agonz is making like 5 mill this year. His contract extension kicks in next year. No way kershaw gets traded. Ubaldo will get dealt if the right offer comes along. And I believe the sox have the pieces to get a deal done. Now I am sure some people are thinking to themselves: why would the rockies trade jimenez now? Well there are a few reasons. 1) Value: the rox would be getting maximum value for him by trading ubaldo at this years trade deadline. 2) They have no chance at making the playoffs and will likely begin to rebuild around tulo and cargo whom they just have huge contracts. 3) They have holes at 1B(helton is getting old), 3B(ian stewart did not pan out and ty wigginton is merely a stop gap), 2B, LF(seth smith is no big deal), they could use pen help(betancourt is getting up there and i think he is a free agent after this year), and of course help in the rotation. They will not trade tulo or cargo who they plan to rebuild around, so that leaves only one other player on their roster that could bring in multiple prospects to fill those holes. Ubaldo Jimenez. In terms of a trade, the sox match up quite well with the rockies in terms of filling their needs. They have multiple quality 3B prospect include will middlebrooks(the best of the 3), kolbrin vitek, and garin checcini. They have 1B prospect lars anderson who is blocked by agonz as well as a younger less proven player in miles head. They have bullpen help in alex wilson, micheal bowden, kyle weiland(so say he could be a reliever). And they have a few quality starters in anthony ranaudo (best of the bunch), felix doubront, kyle weiland, or they could opt young high potential guys like stolmy pimental or drake britton. They have lots of good outfielders in ryan kalish, bryce brentz, alex hassan, brandon jacobs, and Chih-Hsien Chiang. They also have 2B in oscar tejada, yamaico navarro, jed lowrie, sean coyle, and xander bogearts(is a ss but could play 2B). 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

I don't see Theo making any significant moves that bolster RF, SP or BP this year. The moves he will make, if any, will be those of "who is that guy?" kind of players.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]fivekatz, what you dont understand is that if the sox dont trade 3 or 4 prospects they end will up losing some for nothing in the rule 5 draft. They do not have enough spots on the 40 man roster to protect all of their prospects for the upcoming rule 5 draft. And agonz is making like 5 mill this year. His contract extension kicks in next year. No way kershaw gets traded. Ubaldo will get dealt if the right offer comes along. And I believe the sox have the pieces to get a deal done. Now I am sure some people are thinking to themselves: why would the rockies trade jimenez now? Well there are a few reasons. 1) Value: the rox would be getting maximum value for him by trading ubaldo at this years trade deadline. 2) They have no chance at making the playoffs and will likely begin to rebuild around tulo and cargo whom they just have huge contracts. 3) They have holes at 1B(helton is getting old), 3B(ian stewart did not pan out and ty wigginton is merely a stop gap), 2B, LF(seth smith is no big deal), they could use pen help(betancourt is getting up there and i think he is a free agent after this year), and of course help in the rotation. They will not trade tulo or cargo who they plan to rebuild around, so that leaves only one other player on their roster that could bring in multiple prospects to fill those holes. Ubaldo Jimenez. In terms of a trade, the sox match up quite well with the rockies in terms of filling their needs. They have multiple quality 3B prospect include will middlebrooks(the best of the 3), kolbrin vitek, and garin checcini. They have 1B prospect lars anderson who is blocked by agonz as well as a younger less proven player in miles head. They have bullpen help in alex wilson, micheal bowden, kyle weiland(so say he could be a reliever). And they have a few quality starters in anthony ranaudo (best of the bunch), felix doubront, kyle weiland, or they could opt young high potential guys like stolmy pimental or drake britton. They have lots of good outfielders in ryan kalish, bryce brentz, alex hassan, brandon jacobs, and  Chih-Hsien Chiang. They also have 2B in oscar tejada, yamaico navarro, jed lowrie, sean coyle, and xander bogearts(is a ss but could play 2B). 
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE]I get the 40 man roster thing, but keep in mind JD Drew, DMac and other drop off of that roster with teh conclusion of the season.

All due respect to Lars Anderson, he is a throw away in any trade, he isn't just blocked by A-Gon he is blocked by an inability to consistently hit AAA pitching with authority. kalish has very little value right now having missed most of 2011. The RS have a few guys they are high on and they are the same guys the any suitor will ask for in trade.

I stand by my take that Rox will want Middlebrooks and Ranuado in any deal. There are other suitors that can deliver that type of quality.

They aren't in a position where trading Ubaldo makes any sense unless they get a haul. They are doing what Towers did with Upton in AZ this winter, what Seattle did with Hernandez two seasons ago. There is no financial pressure to make a deal and in fact if they wish to win in a very winnable NL West in 2012 he improves their odds and at cost of only $4.2M.

While you list a ton of names in the RS system, most are not highly regarded, in fact most probably have like counter parts in most MLB teams systems right now.

I think the RS will balk at the asking price in the end. If the Rockies motivation is to get max value at the deadline you have to assume that other teams will be interested in a front line starter with a team friendly contract and have as much or more minor league depth, considering the RS trade three quality prospects this December.

Time will tell.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffh102082. Show jeffh102082's posts

I would not be angry by the deal but I dont think we need it, funny but I get the feeling Lackey will figure all this out by season end and become a hero for us down the stretch. Something about all the anti-lackey stuff makes me think he is going to end up being ok in the end and we are going to embrace him being apart of this team. But I am a critic of him just like anyone else, I just havent completely given up on him, sure it sucks the team PAID alot of money for him but its not out of our pockets.   I was never really a fan of him and he almost certainly seems like a dic*head judging by some of the comments he's made while being here.

Jiminez is young and hopefully his best year hasnt already happened, I am pretty sure he's a hell of alot better then Miller or Weiland.

Beckett
    Lester
    Buchholz
    Jiminez
    Lackey
    ? thats a pretty nice rotation

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gammons think Sox will "try" to get Jimenez : I get the 40 man roster thing, but keep in mind JD Drew, DMac and other drop off of that roster with the conclusion of the season.

DMac has 4 years of arb left, but these guys come off the books:
    Drew $14M
    Papi  $12.5M
    Paps $12M

Options on
    Scutaro $6M team/$3M player/$1.5M buyout
    Wheeler $3M

All due respect to Lars Anderson, he is a throw away in any trade, he isn't just blocked by A-Gon he is blocked by an inability to consistently hit AAA pitching with authority.

Agreed.

Kalish has very little value right now having missed most of 2011. The RS have a few guys they are high on and they are the same guys the any suitor will ask for in trade. I stand by my take that Rox will want Middlebrooks and Ranuado in any deal. There are other suitors that can deliver that type of quality. They aren't in a position where trading Ubaldo makes any sense unless they get a haul. They are doing what Towers did with Upton in AZ this winter, what Seattle did with Hernandez two seasons ago. There is no financial pressure to make a deal and in fact if they wish to win in a very winnable NL West in 2012 he improves their odds and at cost of only $4.2M. While you list a ton of names in the RS system, most are not highly regarded, in fact most probably have like counter parts in most MLB teams systems right now. I think the RS will balk at the asking price in the end. If the Rockies motivation is to get max value at the deadline you have to assume that other teams will be interested in a front line starter with a team friendly contract and have as much or more minor league depth, considering the RS trade three quality prospects this December. Time will tell.

I agree.
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from -TheBabe-------. Show -TheBabe-------'s posts

[QUOTE]Just a few days ago many of us were saying that Jiminez was not that good, his velocity was down and he is just another National League pitcher who would not do well in the AL East. Of course that was when the Yankees were rumored to be after him. It seems that he is a totally differant pitcher now that our Sox are supposedly trying to get him.

Posted by jrh1194[/QUOTE]

It's funny how red flops colored glasses have that effect.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Truth in advertising time.  The thread title should say;  Gammons suggest Sox will kick tires on Jimenez, but not pull trigger on deal. 

Read the original post.  He pretty much concludes that the Sox will NOT try to get Jimenez.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxFan2OO4. Show RedSoxFan2OO4's posts

Would love Kershaw, but way too unrealistic.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diamondtalk. Show Diamondtalk's posts

Gammons is delusional.    Colorado will want to empty out what's left of the farm system to get Jimenez.