Gammons:Sox 'completely shocked'

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mr.Bump. Show Mr.Bump's posts

Gammons:Sox 'completely shocked'

WEEI:

Hall of Fame baseball reporter and MLB Network analyst Peter Gammons made his weekly appearance on the Mut & Merloni show Wednesday to talk about the Red Sox' struggles.

Gammons speculated that the Red Sox will attempt to call off Wednesday's game early due to both the rain and the team's need for a break. "A couple of days of breathers wouldn't be a bad thing at this point," he said.

Regarding the 2-9 start, "I think everyone is completely shocked," Gammons said of the team's reaction, adding, "I don't get a sense of anger as much as, 'What in the world is going on here?' I liken it to what's going through Albert Pujols' mind when he's hitting about .170 right now, going, 'This is impossible.' A lot of weird things have happened."

Gammon said Daisuke Matsuzaka's performance on Monday appeared to show that the pitcher is frustrated with the team's request to throw more strikes. "It was one of the strangest games I've ever seen pitched," he said.

As for the possibility of moving Matsuzaka to the bullpen, Gammons said: "With all the pressure he feels from Japan, where he is such a big star, if the Red Sox asked him to become a reliever, I don't know how he'd react to that. I worry about that tremendously, that he would kind of go, 'That's a demotion. I'm a star. I'm not doing that.'

"I know they've said that there's no way they'd trade him, but I still think if this thing doesn't get any better, maybe they could ship him and deal him for a big contract somewhere else. … It's a very difficult situation."

Jed Lowrie is making his case for a starting spot by leading the team in hitting in a part-time role. "I'm a big Jed Lowrie believer," Gammons said. "I'm very sympathetic to guys that have severe hand injuries. … You can't hit. You can't play. I've heard guys who are football writers say, 'Oh, baseball players aren't tough.' Well, Carl Yastrzemski didn't hit a home run for one year because of a hand injury. And Jayson Werth was essentially out of baseball for three years because of a broken hand and then a misdiagnosis. And Lowrie went through a long period where he just wasn't strong enough.

"But he's a good player. Is he the greatest defensive shortstop? He's very reliable. He makes plays. His arm is accurate. I think he sees the ball off the bat very well. Plus, he kills left-handed pitching. So, I think he becomes a very important guy."

As for the batting order, Gammons is a proponent of having Jacoby Ellsbury lead off and batting Carl Crawford fifth. "I looked this up, and the 5 hole leads off more innings in any position in the batting order but the leadoff spot," Gammons said. "Secondly, that would even get him a lot of at-bats with [Kevin] Youkilis and [Adrian] Gonzalez on base since they're both high on-base guys. Or, it gives him a chance — it's really more important to steal bases in front of guys who hit singles and doubles than it is in front of the power guys. So, I just wondered maybe Carl would be best suited hitting fifth."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: Gammons:Sox 'completely shocked'

sox are completly shocked? they don't have anything on everyone else. interesting take on  batting crawford 5th. sounds logical to me, which means its probably not a good idea ;) worth a try. at this point i'm open to anything

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

I agree with Gammons.  At first I liked 3rd but 5th does make the most sense at this point

Time to trade Dice-K, period.

Lowrie will slowly shift to being an every day player for this team.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Gammons:Sox 'completely shocked':
    I agree with Gammons.  At first I liked 3rd but 5th does make the most sense at this point Time to trade Dice-K, period. Lowrie will slowly shift to being an every day player for this team.
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988

Yeah, except if Ortiz is raking, I like him in the five-hole. On the other hand if he's on in front of Ortiz, he could be enough of a distraction for the pitcher to make a mistake that Ortiz can crush.

If he leads off, I like Ellsbury at No. 8 followed by Scutaro then turning over the lineup with Crawford. Ellsbury could act as another leadoff hitter in that spot; Scutaro as a No. 2 and Crawford as a No. 3.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zack5042. Show zack5042's posts

As i have been say we should use one of the two lineups
    Lowrie
    dustin
    youk
    gonzo
    papi
    crawford
    drew
    vtek/salty
    ells
    or
    Dustin
    Youk
    Papi
    Agon
    Crawford
    Drew
    Salty/vtek
    Ells

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jb12bb. Show jb12bb's posts

I agree with everything he said except batting Crawford fifth.  Papi is off to a good start and he should be in that spot to drive in runs.  Its Youk and Agone who have to drive in runs when Pedroia gets on base.  I think Lowrie shouild play more and if he continues this start he will get more AB's.

Dice-K has never been willing to work and grow as a Major League pitcher.  Im sorry but this just shows the difference in MLB to Japanesse baseball.  Hes unmotivated and not worth the hassel at this point.  Time to ship him away and take someone elses problem on for a swap.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

As i have been say we should use one of the two lineups Lowrie dustin youk gonzo papi crawford drew vtek/salty ells or Dustin Youk Papi Agon Crawford Drew Salty/vtek Ells
    Posted by zack5042

Leadoff Lowrie... That's interesting.  Maybe short term that would work because him and Pedroia are the only guys hitting.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

gammons is completly shocked. he doesnt have anything on me. interesting take on  batting crawford 5th. sounds logical to me which means its probably not a good idea ;) worth a try. at this point i'm open to anything
    Posted by J-BAY

Gammons is old as sin and much of the time he's 3 sheets to the wind and hasn't a clue. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I agree with everything he said except batting Crawford fifth.  Papi is off to a good start and he should be in that spot to drive in runs.  Its Youk and Agone who have to drive in runs when Pedroia gets on base.  I think Lowrie shouild play more and if he continues this start he will get more AB's. Dice-K has never been willing to workand grow as a Major League pitcher.  Im sorry but this just shows the difference in MLB to Japanesse baseball.  Hes unmotivated and not worth the hassel at this point.  Time to ship him away and take someone elses problem on for a swap.
    Posted by jb12bb

I don't know how you can say this.
    If Dice wasn't a hard worker, he wouldn't have achieved the success he has . The problem, as you alluded, is growth. The areas that need attention are lacking.
    He can be his own worst enemy. However, his slow start may in fact be related to what's happening to his family/friends in Japan.

Two starts isn't enough to justify shipping him out of town.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

As i have been say we should use one of the two lineups Lowrie dustin youk gonzo papi crawford drew vtek/salty ells or Dustin Youk Papi Agon Crawford Drew Salty/vtek Ells
    Posted by zack5042

Zack, Tito will never group so many lefty or righty hitters together like that.

He will adjust his line-up to accommodate match-ups and players' form.
    Traditionally, that's been proven to be the most effective method.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

I like having Crawford lead off and Ellsbury bat 9th.  That would have the effect of putting two speedsters in front of Pedroia and hopefully getting on base so that the Sox can take advantage of his hitting after the first time around - sort of like batting him 3rd.  I like Lowrie in place of Scutaro - at least until he shows he can't hit.  With the hitting talent on this team the rest should take care of itself, but we can't have automatic outs in the last 3 spots in the order.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kt888. Show kt888's posts

I agree with everything he said except batting Crawford fifth.  Papi is off to a good start and he should be in that spot to drive in runs.  Its Youk and Agone who have to drive in runs when Pedroia gets on base.  I think Lowrie shouild play more and if he continues this start he will get more AB's. Dice-K has never been willing to work and grow as a Major League pitcher.  Im sorry but this just shows the difference in MLB to Japanesse baseball.  Hes unmotivated and not worth the hassel at this point.  Time to ship him away and take someone elses problem on for a swap.
    Posted by jb12bb

Your comments on Dice-K are quite judgemental, it seems, and I am wondering how you know that he is "unmotivated?"  I highly doubt that Dice-K wants to let down an entire nation (Japan, not RSN) who basically view him as a hero.  That is probably the last thing he wants.  And how do you know he has never been willing to work and grow?  It seems that Dice-K is the one who needed to make most of the adjustments and consessions with regards to his baseball routine - not the other way around.  It has been an adjustment for everyone involved and expectations were very high, given the level of success he had in Japan.  If you are prepared to seek legitimate reasons for his struggles, perhaps the Red Sox organization should shoulder some of the blame.  Shouldn't that at least be considered?  

I sort of agree with Peter Gammon's take that it appeared Dice-K got tired of the Red Sox telling him to throw strikes, and I said as much in the game thread when he was getting shelled.  For the first time, I felt very discouraged with his performance.  He has struggled before, but the other night there was something different.  He looked very defeated.  Every pitch was just a meatball in the middle of the zone.  

Also, Harness makes a good point, that perhaps Dice-K's performance has been impacted by the events in Japan. I like Dice-K and I hope he figures things out.  I have always been a supporter, but after his last performance, I found myself thinking I wouldn't be very surprised if he requested a trade at this point.  But then again, there isn't much that would surprise me with this team these days.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kat-b2. Show Kat-b2's posts

Hasn't anyone noticed how much this team misses J. Farrell? He was Tito's right hand man and now he is gone. The pitchers just aren't  getting the job done. How good is your hitting coach? 7-52 men left on base   come on someone has to be accountable for that ??????????????????????????????????????????

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jb12bb. Show jb12bb's posts

I was a huge Dice-K fan until he was unable to get on track with the pitching regimine of John Farell and now Curt Young.  Im not hating on him, just saying you have all this talent and it is wasted by lazyness.  Unwilling to throw strikes, ive never heard of that in my life.

He needs a change in scenery and work ethic.  There is no reason for his struggles and to say its because of Japan, your reaching.  Ichiro seems to be fine.  Do you want to blame Oki's struggles on that too.  Lets stop treating these millionairs like babies and start holding them accountable for their performances.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kt888. Show kt888's posts

Hmmm, you aren't hating on Dice-K, but you refer to him as lazy...you question his work ethic and his desire to win, and discard any notion that he may have lingering effects from one of the most tragic natural disasters of our time...nah, your not hating on anyone.

Further, you failed to explain HOW you know he is lazy - HOW you know he is unmotivated?  What details do you have about the talks between Farrell, Young, and Dice-K, and who was the source?  Dice-K was highly successful in Japan. Every adjustment and change he is asked to make takes him one step further from the pitcher he was then, right or wrong.  It's not all black and white.  I'm not saying Dice-K is perfect.  But IMO, it's just unfair to place all of the blame on his shoulders.  

Ichiro is not exactly off to a stellar start, not that it matters, but thinking that major tragedies do not impact a professonal athlete's performance is wrong.  It may or may not be contributing to Dice-K's issues but you nor I will never know.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Hasn't anyone noticed how much this team misses J. Farrell? He was Tito's right hand man and now he is gone. The pitchers just aren't  getting the job done. How good is your hitting coach? 7-52 men left on base   come on someone has to be accountable for that ??????????????????????????????????????????
    Posted by Kat-b2

I'm getting confused.
    I thought C.Young was the latest guru.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Micksoxx. Show Micksoxx's posts

Crawford should hit 5th...in Pawtucket.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hog73. Show Hog73's posts

Given Dice-K's inability to go thru any 1st two innings of a game unscathed, it scares the hell out of me to consider him as a bullpen option. Cut the cord with the guy - Chop Chop !

Sections
Shortcuts