Garin Cecchini is being promoted to Double-A

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Garin Cecchini is being promoted to Double-A

In response to DPapiOrtiz's comment:

By Alex Speier/WEEI:
    According to industry sources, Red Sox third base prospect Garin Cecchini has been told that he’s been promoted from High-A Salem to Double-A Portland.

The 22-year-old is hitting .350 with the second best OBP (.469) in all of minor league baseball. He has a .547 slugging mark on the strength of 28 extra-base hits, and he’s walking with much greater frequency (43 times) than he’s striking out (34). He’s been as impressive, as consistent a hitter as there’s been in the Red Sox minor league system, and so it’s time for him to move up to another level, just as was the case for Jackie Bradley Jr. when the outfielder enjoyed similar offensive dominance to Cecchini in 2012 at Salem.

Cecchini will join the Sea Dogs on their current roadtrip, meeting the team for its weekend series in Trenton; he’s slated to make his home debut in Portland on Monday.

Great news!

Now, we can see him play in Portland this summer!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

It is great news.

To play him at third will require moving the teams top power source--Michael Almanzar, to 1 B or  DH. The team needs someone else to provide consistent production since X Man was promoted to AAA. 

I would think Henry Owens will be promoted by the end of July or when Britton or Ranaudo are advanced to AAA.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It is great news.

To play him at third will require moving the teams top power source--Michael Almanzar, to 1 B or  DH. The team needs someone else to provide consistent production since X Man was promoted to AAA. 

I would think Henry Owens will be promoted by the end of July or when Britton or Ranaudo are advanced to AAA.

What are the chances Vazquez moves to AAA and Swihart to AA before the season is over?

Sox4ever

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

It is great news.

What are the chances Vazquez moves to AAA and Swihart to AA before the season is over?

Sox4ever

Wouldn't that require moving a catcher off the ML roster?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

It is great news.

Garin Cecchini by all accounts is a coming nasty hitter who has gap power and can hit for average, but he is also a left handed batter.   That means we must not overload our lineup with southpaws since the division (and league) has a lot of lefties pitching in it.  We need to balance Garin and Bradley with some right handed power.  I hope Brentz can join Boegarts to give us just that.  Either way we need Garin within two years and by then maybe we will have moved Middlebrooks to first where hopefully he is hitting with power and production again.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

The kid is a stud, he'll move to the 40 man roster this winter. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

There is something of a log jam building up on the right side of the infield.  Definitely makes sense to see a few guys move off position.  I don't see Almanzar holding Cecchini out at third and Bogaerts only will if he moves off of SS....but if the Sox truly believe Cecchini will develop into a star and/or the Think WMB will come around he may very well move to the 1B.

I'm positive thought that a few guys will be the odd man out.  I can see Almanzar as trade bait him, possibly Cecchini as well. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

How are they going to promote Cecchini and then not play him???????

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

[QUOTE]

It is great news.

Sox4ever

Wouldn't that require moving a catcher off the ML roster?

[/QUOTE]

No, it just makes Butler a back-up catcher in AAA.

Actually, I think they already made this move...  Oooops!

Sections
Shortcuts