Gaspar is Full of It on Rift between BV and Cherrington

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Re: Gaspar is Full of It on Rift between BV and Cherrington

In Response to Re: Gaspar is Full of It on Rift between BV and Cherrington:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gaspar is Full of It on Rift between BV and Cherrington : NOTICED IT DIDN'T TAKE THE MODS LONG TO DELETE JIM'S THREAD EITHER, BABE.
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Yes they did and WHY??????

As stated there has been more controversy in Jet Blue Park sparked by BV this year than in the past 9 with Francona. Half jokingly one reporter on ESPN stated it would be interesting if Ben fired BV before the season started this was after a discussion of BV's comments so far and how the RS like the Pats have been low key for many years. To have BV throwing out comments some sarcastic, some kiddingly and some truthful to the media and players while the media is nearby IMHO will be destructive to this team in the long run.
    I just do not see players trusting BV. They did not trust him as the Met mgr. according to former players like Jon Kruk.
    Based upon what I have seen and read I see the RS coming in 4th because BV will cause this team to self implode.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Jim, apparently Babe had posted the same article and it was also deleted. Guess BDC is protecting everything related to BV and the organization.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

I wonder if I'll get banned for my opinion after 4+ years????Wink

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gaspar is Full of It on Rift between BV and Cherrington : I thought you were talking about the bobby v connected to the bb camp scam
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what we are referring to.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

Why don't we discuss the the coverage of the extramarital affair that Brian Cashman had last year and how as a result of it  his wife filed papers for a divorce. That story seemed to have much more meat to it than this possible, unsubstantiated rift between BV and Cherrington. Did the YES and RiveraveBlues forums have threads on it and for how long did such threads exist? How many Red Sox fans rushed to those forums to start a Cashman thread?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

In Response to Gaspar is Full of It on Rift between BV and Cherrington:
    [QUOTE]Bobby Valentine was asked Monday about the perception of a rift or power struggle with general manager Ben Cherington. “I think it’s lazy journalism,” Valentine said. “That’s what I think. I think it’s an easy story to write. It has no validity. Absolutely none. I could have written it in on December 3d. Are you kidding me?" Valentine said he communicates with Cherington "a few times a day." In fact, there’s a meeting between the two later on Monday. "There are some guys who are lazy and some guys who are clever. It was a clever journalist that set that all up, too. It comes with the territory," he said.
    Posted by Calzone65[/QUOTE]

calzone =  pike

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

In his new job, Valentine said he communicates with Cherington, via phone call or text message, “a few times” every day. Lately, it’s safe to say the topics have centered on whether Daniel Bard and Alfredo Aceves would best fit in the rotation or bullpen and whether Mike Aviles or Jose Iglesias should be the Opening Day shortstop.

In reaching a verdict in both situations, neither of which have been resolved, Cherington has stressed the importance of collaboration.

“That has happened and needs to continue to happen,” Cherington said. “To me, this is not about one person’s opinion ruling. It’s about a group of people trying to make decisions that are in the best decisions that are in the best interest of the team.”

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

This is the pimple-faced kid against the elder statesman, the latter of which knows a hell of a lot more about managing and baseball, than the former.
    BC's job is to bring in players that fit the budget and still fill the needs of the team while also trying to accomodate the manager's desires.

Over the past 10 years or so, GMs have far too much say-so in who is placed in the line-up. Moneyball was a prime example of that.

I think BV folded on Igleasias. the FO wanted him to get more seasoning while BV thought he was ready now......I agree with BV.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

I'm not a fan of bobby v's press style at all. The comments about bard should have stayed in the office, he's not an analyst but a manager now. Love or hate terry he did a good job of keeping such things in house.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Tough calls. Differences of opinion are inevitable and even desirable. The Globe reporter appears to believe groupthink is the answer.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

I think I will reserve judgement until the season is over...then there will plenty of fuel for a big bonfire...one way or the other.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

[QUOTE]Tough calls. Differences of opinion are inevitable and even desirable. The Globe reporter appears to believe groupthink is the answer.
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

I wasn't aware that "Groupthink" was a course taught in the journalism curriculum in our finest colleges. You mean that it is professional to fabricate or speculate and throw something out there that is not backed up with quotes or facts and let the ignorant public run with it and form a consensus? I know that the tabloids do this but I expected better from the Globe.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

Looks like The Globe isn't the only one that thinks there's tension.

from ESPN.COM

New guys in the dugout: Ozzie and Bobby V

They're not just familiar faces. They're familiar voices. You don't just see Ozzie Guillen and Bobby Valentine coming. You hear them coming.

[+] EnlargeOzzie Guillen
    Steve Mitchell/US PresswireOzzie Guillen has brought a new attitude to his new club in Miami.

So which of these two high-profile, high-volume managers will be the better fit on his new team (Ozzie in Miami, Bobby V in Boston)? We went into this spring thinking it would be Valentine. We're not so sure anymore.

The Ozzie Show seems to have worked in South Florida exactly the way it was supposed to. He has run a fun, upbeat camp. He has connected with Hanley Ramirez, who told us recently Ozzie is "a great man." And from all appearances, this journey from Chicago to Miami hasn't only been good for his team. It's been good for Oswaldo Guillen.

"After the things that happened in Chicago," said one longtime friend, "I think this is what he needed. A clean break was the best thing that could have happened for him."

"If they just let him be Ozzie, everything will be good," said another old friend. "If you just let him do his thing, you get the energy and guys feed off it. If you try and rein him in, he loses what makes him great. And so far at least, it seems like it's a great fit."

We should remember, of course, that it started out this way on the South Side, too. And then, well, stuff happened. So who knows how this act will play over the long haul in Miami? But over Guillen's first month and a half in this gig, "it looks like his honesty has been appreciated," said one baseball man who has seen the Marlins a lot. And we're not sure you can say that about Bobby Valentine and his new team.

This felt like a tremendous marriage the day an emotional Bobby V was introduced to the media and the masses in Boston back on Dec. 1. But that day "seems like eight years ago now," Valentine said this spring.

"It was a good feeling," the manager reminisced. "I haven't had that feeling in a long time. So you enjoy it for a couple of minutes. Then reality sets in."

And that reality, it turns out, hasn't been quite so euphoric -- to the point that scouts covering the Red Sox are already worried about Valentine's fit for this job. Listen to the words of one scout who once worked with Bobby V in a prior incarnation:

"He's a brilliant baseball guy," the scout said. "It's just, the other stuff gets in the way of the brilliance so easily. … His intellect gets in the way. He's always trying to win that chess match. Everything has to be a tug o' war."

Valentine is so different from Terry Francona, everyone knew this mix could turn tense at some point. But "I just didn't think it would happen this fast," the same scout said.

"I hate to say it, but these players could stick it to him," he went on. "It'll be all or nothing. I don't think there can be anything in between with this bunch. If things don't start out all rosy, I worry that he could lose control of that club quickly. He's dealing with some high-maintenance guys. They proved that last year. And they're just not used to a guy who can be this honest. He's been The Story too much this spring. And these players could easily get tired of it."

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

[QUOTE]In his new job, Valentine said he communicates with Cherington, via phone call or text message, “a few times” every day. Lately, it’s safe to say the topics have centered on whether Daniel Bard and Alfredo Aceves would best fit in the rotation or bullpen and whether Mike Aviles or Jose Iglesias should be the Opening Day shortstop. In reaching a verdict in both situations, neither of which have been resolved, Cherington has stressed the importance of collaboration. “That has happened and needs to continue to happen,” Cherington said. “To me, this is not about one person’s opinion ruling. It’s about a group of people trying to make decisions that are in the best decisions that are in the best interest of the team.”
    Posted by lowelll[/QUOTE]

This is it and tells you that Gaspar is just trying to replace CHB before he retires.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

n

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Gaspar.  Schilling.  Cafardo.  The beat goes on.  I actually love it.  It wouldn;t be the Red Sox if there wasn't a gaggle of fear-mongering media feeding the flames of an inferno that doesn't exist.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]Gaspar.  Schilling.  Cafardo.  The beat goes on.  I actually love it.  It wouldn;t be the Red Sox if there wasn't a gaggle of fear-mongering media feeding the flames of an inferno that doesn't exist.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]
    Not an inferno -- not yet and maybe never -- but you have to admit that Valentine likes to set off sparks and, so far, hasn't disappointed. Or has disappointed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

" If there is no way to determine who is telling the truth here then why side with Gaspar? I can understand why a troll would take sides but can't understand why a Red Sox fan would do the same? There are three choices, believe Gaspar, believe BV, or be neutral. I am disappointed in the Red Sox fan."

You really are incredible. (p.s. sorry I haven't updated your screen name, you seem to keep getting booted)

First off Gaspar is indeed a lazy hack, Bobby got that right. But if you're expecting a fan to accept what Bobby says publicly about this stuff what you're saying is that you define a fan as a sucker. Bobby is NOT going to say what he thinks to the media and we know for a FACT that Bobby V was not Cherington's guy. So there was smoke here before Gaspar came along and did the obvious. 

You're honestly disappointed that fans aren't marching in lockstep behind whatever a nutjob like Bobby V says? 

Wow. 

Sorry but I think being a fan and being a critical thinker are both good characteristics. 

I think what you are missing is that there is a big difference between permanent negativity (very unattractive, I agree) and forming an opinion that you are open to changing. 

Right now I see a mess of a franchise and a lot of questionable personnel decisions, with an owner who is more interested in le football. But: I'll cheer on the team and hope for the best and certainly with their roster, anything is possible this year. 

I realize this is very nuanced for you but maybe it will do you good to realize that every fan is complex in their attitudes and not interested in your cookie cutter "how to be a fan" rules.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

What I am saying is that Gaspar and a few other hack reporters have nothing concrete to base their wild speculation on. Sure Bobby had troubles in the past with management but that doesn't translate into automatically assuming that he will have similar problems with this front office. The ONLY evidence that we currently have is that he denies and so does Cherrington. To come to any opinion to the contrary is not backed up with any current evidence or quotes. Gaspar gets paid to write controversial articles like this and columnists have a free license to spout off with mere opinions, conjecture, speculation, and wild guesses. If you were jury duty, would you come to a decision here that Bobby and Cherrington are lying and that Gaspar is telling the truth. The thread title is accusing Gaspar of forming an opinion without any concrete, current evidence.  Gaspar is fanning the flames of a fire that doesn't exist. In the natural sciences, his hypothesis would be laughed out of the classroom. No proof - just a silly guess.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i had to read GROUPTHINK in college for history class...Bay of Pigs was a prime example if i can recall 30 years later...byt seriously, Bobby V is going to allow any kind of split at his advanced age....he wont tolerate it - he has a mandate to do it his way....and when that is gone, he will gladly walk or even gladly be fired...one of the reasons why i like him....he's not Francona - master of pr and here for the next decade...he wants to win that series now

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Go Bobby. He's afraid of no one. He's already taken shots at the Yankees and Ozzie Guillen. A girl couldn't ask for more. He may wind up being my favorite manager. No fear.