Gavin Floyd

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Gavin Floyd

Gavin Floyd is reportedly available in a trade. Floyd is one of the more underrated pitchers in MLB, although he certainly can have starts that go beyond frustrating. The guy can go out and give you 2 or 3 starts that make you question his presence in the Major Leagues, and then follow them up with a month of pure being purely unhittable. Overall, he ranks 29th among all starting pitchers in MLB in WAR over the past 3 seasons, ahead of Tim Lincecum. From 2009 to 2011, he was 15th.

He is a tough man to gage trade value for. His closest equivalent in a recent trade would be Edwin Jackson. However, Jackson is frequently part of very large trades, so it is hard to see how GMs value him independently. However, he was dealt as part of a side package with Mark Teahen for former Red Sox RHP Zach Stewart and Jason Frasor. Stewart’s inability since aside, he was a fairly good prospect in Toronto, but he was never in the BA Top 100. If the Sox could get Floyd for a package of Brandon Workman and one of the catchers, it needs to be done. The White Sox might prefer to climb the Sox prospect ladder a little higher, or potentially take a reliever as well. (Aceves? Melancon? Miller? Alex Wilson?) Garin Cecchini should certainly be enough of an addition for one year of Floyd, but one would hope it does not need to go that high. If Kenny Williams was in charge, the price would probably be a lot less, as he took some fairly bizarre deals. Who knows what to expect from Rick Hahn at this point, however.

It is worth noting that the deal of Jackson and Teahen for Stewart and Frasor was a Kenny Williams deal, and therefore might not be representative of how actual GMs value players.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

Re: Gavin Floyd

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Gavin Floyd is reportedly available in a trade. Floyd is one of the more underrated pitchers in MLB, although he certainly can have starts that go beyond frustrating. The guy can go out and give you 2 or 3 starts that make you question his presence in the Major Leagues, and then follow them up with a month of pure being purely unhittable. Overall, he ranks 29th among all starting pitchers in MLB in WAR over the past 3 seasons, ahead of Tim Lincecum. From 2009 to 2011, he was 15th.

He is a tough man to gage trade value for. His closest equivalent in a recent trade would be Edwin Jackson. However, Jackson is frequently part of very large trades, so it is hard to see how GMs value him independently. However, he was dealt as part of a side package with Mark Teahen for former Red Sox RHP Zach Stewart and Jason Frasor. Stewart’s inability since aside, he was a fairly good prospect in Toronto, but he was never in the BA Top 100. If the Sox could get Floyd for a package of Brandon Workman and one of the catchers, it needs to be done. The White Sox might prefer to climb the Sox prospect ladder a little higher, or potentially take a reliever as well. (Aceves? Melancon? Miller? Alex Wilson?) Garin Cecchini should certainly be enough of an addition for one year of Floyd, but one would hope it does not need to go that high. If Kenny Williams was in charge, the price would probably be a lot less, as he took some fairly bizarre deals. Who knows what to expect from Rick Hahn at this point, however.

It is worth noting that the deal of Jackson and Teahen for Stewart and Frasor was a Kenny Williams deal, and therefore might not be representative of how actual GMs value players.

[/QUOTE]

Do not give up G Cacchini for Floyd. No way....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

From a situation stand point, Floyd reminds me of Matt Garza without the spittin. Both 29. Both available. Both have been very good, but dropped a notch last year. Both have American league experience. Both will make about 10 million next year. But most importantly, both had serious elbow issues last year. Garza missing the last few months. And sadly, Floyd going on the DL TWICE with elbow tightness. Not a good sign.

Floyd did come back and he did pitch very well at the end of the year though. But its definately a concern.

For me, I have Floyd on my radar. However, if its a choice between paying Dan Haren 11 million for next year and getting him free vs. paying 9.5 million and giving up anything for Floyd, I prefer Haren. And if we have to give up something I really like, such as Garin Cecchini, its no contest.

Now if Haren signs elsewhere, as does Sanchez and McCarthy, then Floyd might be the best moderately inexpensive trade alternative. And your theories as to his value I think are about right. He probably would be worth about a Cecchini. Maybe even more depending on the photos of his elbow. Although my gut is telling me his elbow is kinda skanky lookin. Hence the fact he is on the market.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I would not look for starting pitchers I have to trade for unless they have two plus years of availability. I like Gavin Floyd but I would rather trade a Cecchini for a position player. 

Workman I think will pitch at AAA this season. I think Sox fans will like this kid. I saw him pitch in Portland, not that I know talent, but this kid is not to be thrown out there for a one year acquisition. I would trade Pimental  to open up a 40 man slot.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would not look for starting pitchers I have to trade for unless they have two plus years of availability. I like Gavin Floyd but I would rather trade a Cecchini for a position player. 

Workman I think will pitch at AAA this season. I think Sox fans will like this kid. I saw him pitch in Portland, not that I know talent, but this kid is not to be thrown out there for a one year acquisition. I would trade Pimental  to open up a 40 man slot.

[/QUOTE]

There are a lot of second rated pitchers that can strike oil or strike sand. All I know is that Sox need a top pitcher, Floyd will give the Sox a deep rotation. Lester Bucholtz Floyd Lackey Doubront and Morales as depth starter. I would gamble on Floyd and hopefully lackey can get his prime back. I have faith that farrell will get the rotation back in good quality performance.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I like Floyd.

Cecchini was what i figured the trade value ceiling to be, but as I said, it is tough to gauge his value when his comparable is either always in mega-deals or traded by Kenny Williams, which are two factors that can throw off any radar.

As or Cecchini, I think Sox fans need to slow down on the "untradable prospect" list a little.  First, we have a 3B.  Second, if you think all of the Sox top ten are going to be Major Leaguers, not stars, just make MLB rosters, you are wrong, and history has shown this.     The Sox can gamble dealing a high profile prospect or two, and the chances that it haunts them are not so bad...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Floyd always looks great against us.  But when I look at his numbers the past 2 years I see an ERA+ of 100.  I see 168 innings and a 1.36 WHIP and 14 hit by pitch last year.  Why aren't his numbers better?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Floyd always looks great against us.  But when I look at his numbers the past 2 years I see an ERA+ of 100.  I see 168 innings and a 1.36 WHIP and 14 hit by pitch last year.  Why aren't his numbers better?

[/QUOTE]

Read Notin's post.  He's similar to Wakefield in the sense that he'll throw 7 or 8 shutout innings in one start and the give up 8 runs in 3 innings his next start. He can have brilliant stretches, but overall he's consistently inconsistent.  He will give a team some dominant starts over the course of a season, but he'll mix in some brutal ones.  Go over his game logs over the last few years, very strange. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Read Notin's post.  He's similar to Wakefield in the sense that he'll throw 7 or 8 shutout innings in one start and the give up 8 runs in 3 innings his next start. He can have brilliant stretches, but overall he's consistently inconsistent.  He will give a team some dominant starts over the course of a season, but he'll mix in some brutal ones.  Go over his game logs over the last few years, very strange. 

[/QUOTE]

His 2012 was unspectacluar, but he was one of the best 15 starting pitchers in baseball from 2009 through 2011.  That should count for something...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I hope he doesn't get issued a PINK HAT.

Because then he'd be called "Pink Floyd!"

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I hope he doesn't get issued a PINK HAT.

Because then he'd be called "Pink Floyd!"

[/QUOTE]

If he goes deep into games, he'll be Count Floyd. :-)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

His 2012 was unspectacluar, but he was one of the best 15 starting pitchers in baseball from 2009 through 2011.  That should count for something...

[/QUOTE]

Trust me, Notin.  I like the guy.  I'd rather have a guy who often goes deep into games than a guy who consistently goes 5 or 6 and gives up 3 or 4 runs all the time.  Floyd often gives the bullpen a day off, which is obviously a big help.  Kenny Williams wasn't going to move him last year, but he seems to be on the block now, and at a better price.  

Juan Nieves obviously knows him very well, so he'll have significant input as to whether or not he'd be a good fit.   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I really like Cecchini, but I'd trade him in a flash for Floyd.

As many here remember, I mentioned trading for Floyd about a hundred times last winter. He had a somewhat off year in 2012, but he is still a very good pitcher. Top 30 or 45 at worst. (That makes him a number 2 starter by league average.)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I also would trade Cecchini in a heartbeat for Floyd. Not every prospect can or will make the big club. We have a solid young 3rd baseman and top prospect ss ahead of Cecchini. Garin is a prospect, Floyd is a proven MLB pitcher.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

When Floyd walks a batter or gives him a good pitch to hit...do they say he "Gave In" to the hitter?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to stan17's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I also would trade Cecchini in a heartbeat for Floyd. Not every prospect can or will make the big club. We have a solid young 3rd baseman and top prospect ss ahead of Cecchini. Garin is a prospect, Floyd is a proven MLB pitcher.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

Go look at past recent top ten lists of Sox prospects, and you see a lot of names like Andy Marte, Michael Bowden, Kris Johnson, Craig Hansen, Lars Anderson, Jason Place, Derrick Gibson, Bryce Cox, Yamaico Navarro, Stolmy Pimental, Oscar Tejada and Rey Fuentes.  And those names only go back to 2006.  Remember when Lars Anderson was "untouchable?"  In thr end, we dealt him for a 27yo career minor league knuckleballer.  Remember when Craig Hansen was the savior and Andy Marte was the future?

It is OK to trade a prospect or two, and it usually does not hurt.  On any top ten list of propsects for any team, you typically have at least 4 guys who will be nothing more than AAAA players or career minor leaguers.  and some of the reamining six guys will be bench players and middle relivers.  1 to 2 star players, tops, if have have any at all. 

The absolute best Sox Top Ten prospect ist was 2006. a list had an MVP and 4 other future  or potential all stars on it.  and even that list was headlined by Andy Marte at number one...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Andy Marte never made the soxprospects top list, at least on soxprospects.com

Since it takes a while for a top prospect to prove himself, a look at our top prospects from years ago shows that many made it bigtime/ others did OK...

(All top 3 players are listed- just notable 4 and overs are listed)

(Players are only listed once and at their highest spot that year)

1 Youk, Jorge de la Rosa, F Sanchez

2 Han Ram, Lester

3 Shoppach

7 D Murphy

8 Delcarmen

1 Lester, Youk, HanRam

2 B Moss

3 Pedey, Shopp, A Alvarez

4 Papelbon

1 HanRam, Papelbon

2 BMoss, Lester

3 Pedey, A Sanchez

5 Hansen

1 Lester, Ellsbury, Papelbon

2 Buchholtz, Hansen

3 Bowden

4 Pedey

6 Bard

7 Lowrie, Masterson

1 Ells, Buch

3 Bowden

4 Pedey, lars, Masterson

5 B Moss, Lowrie

6 Bard

7 Kottaras, Hagadone

9 Kalish

1 Buch, Masterson, Lars

2 Ells, Bowden

3 Reddick, Lowrie

2009:

1 Lars, Kelly

2 Reddick, Bowden

3 Bard, Kalish

4 Westmoreland

5 Tazawa

8 Rizzo

1 Kelly

2 Reddick, Lars, kalish

3 Rizzo

4 Iggy

6 Doubront

7 Ranaudo

10 Middlebrooks

Looking at all the names of the14  top 3 players from 2003 to 2006, how many were duds?

How many became very good to great players?

HanRam

Pedey

Youkilis

Lester

Papelbon

Ellsbury

A Sanchez

de la Rosa (Best was #1)

Shoppach (best was #3)

Hansen (best was #3)

F Sanchez (best was #1)

B Moss (best was#2)

M Bowden (best was #3)

A Alavarez (best was #3)

I count 7 of the 14 as having very good to great production, 4 having Ok production and 3 as duds.

From 2007-2008:

#1:

Buchholtz (3 out of 6 times ranked)

Ellsbury (1)

Masterson (1)

Anderson (1)

Ellsbury (3) 

Bowden (2)

Buch (1)

Bowden (3)

Reddick (1)

Masterson (1)

Lowrie (1)

2009-2010

Kelly (4)

Anderson (2)

Bowden (2)

Reddick (2)

Kalish (1)

Anderson (1) 

Kalish (3)

Reddick (1)

Rizzo (1)

Bard (1)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

[/QUOTE]

It is OK to trade a prospect or two, and it usually does not hurt.  On any top ten list of propsects for any team, you typically have at least 4 guys who will be nothing more than AAAA players or career minor leaguers.  and some of the reamining six guys will be bench players and middle relivers.  1 to 2 star players, tops, if have have any at all. 

[/QUOTE]

Sox Prospects has ranked Garin Cecchini as high as number 6 on their list. Right now, I would have him 5th or 6th depending on whether we count Rubby. Let me add that every guy I have ahead of Cecchini I would rank in the top 60 prospects in all of baseball. In other words, being 6th on this list is particularly impressive.

Here is a list of the players that reached the top 6 prospects according to Sox Prospects in the 8 years between March 2003 and March 2011......http://soxprospects.com/history.htm

Jorge de la Rosa
    Hanley Ramirez
    Freddy Sanchez
    Jon Lester
    Kevin Youkilis 
    Kelly Shoppach
    Phil Dumatrait
    Chad Spann
    Abe Alvarez
    Jeremy West
    Jonathan Papelbon
    Dustin Pedroia
    Brandon Moss
    Anibal Sanchez
    Manny Delcarmen
    Craig Hansen
    Jacoby Ellsbury
    Michael Bowden
    Clay Buchholz
    Bryce Cox
    Daniel Bard
    Lars Anderson
    Justin Masterson
    Jed Lowrie
    Josh Reddick
    Casey Kelly
    Michael Almanzar
    Nick Hagadone
    Junichi Tazawa
    Ryan Westmoreland
    Ryan Kalish
    Anthony Rizzo
    Jose Iglesias
    Felix Doubront

Believe it or not, 28-34 have already made the big leagues. Of the 6 that have not, one got sick[Westmoreland] and two are still just 22 years of age[Almanzar-Kelly].

If you look at the first 5 years of the list through Reddick, 17-25 of the players have had good seasons in the big leagues.

According to those numbers, Cecchini will very likely have atleast 1 good season in the Major Leagues.

I am not saying we should never trade top 6 prospects. I am not saying we should not trade Cecchini. Shoot, he might be the guy to trade because of Middlebrooks and Bogaerts.

However, the idea that top flight Sox prospects like Cecchini are not that successful is mistaken.

Also, my general rule on trading prospects is to try and trade the over rated ones and keep the under rated ones. I am more open to trading Bryce Brentz, Henry Owens, and the batch of AA starters, who I think are the over rated guys.

Finally, why trade Cecchini for Floyd when you might be able to sign guys even better and give up nothing? That is my main point.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to BMav's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sox Prospects has ranked Garin Cecchini as high as number 6 on their list. Right now, I would have him 5th or 6th depending on whether we count Rubby. Let me add that every guy I have ahead of Cecchini I would rank in the top 60 prospects in all of baseball. In other words, being 6th on this list is particularly impressive.

Here is a list of the players that reached the top 6 prospects according to Sox Prospects in the 8 years between March 2003 and March 2011......http://soxprospects.com/history.htm

Jorge de la Rosa
    Hanley Ramirez
    Freddy Sanchez
    Jon Lester
    Kevin Youkilis 
    Kelly Shoppach
    Phil Dumatrait
    Chad Spann
    Abe Alvarez
    Jeremy West
    Jonathan Papelbon
    Dustin Pedroia
    Brandon Moss
    Anibal Sanchez
    Manny Delcarmen
    Craig Hansen
    Jacoby Ellsbury
    Michael Bowden
    Clay Buchholz
    Bryce Cox
    Daniel Bard
    Lars Anderson
    Justin Masterson
    Jed Lowrie
    Josh Reddick
    Casey Kelly
    Michael Almanzar
    Nick Hagadone
    Junichi Tazawa
    Ryan Westmoreland
    Ryan Kalish
    Anthony Rizzo
    Jose Iglesias
    Felix Doubront

Believe it or not, 28-34 have already made the big leagues. Of the 6 that have not, one got sick[Westmoreland] and two are still just 22 years of age[Almanzar-Kelly].

If you look at the first 5 years of the list through Reddick, 17-25 of the players have had good seasons in the big leagues.

According to those numbers, Cecchini will very likely have atleast 1 good season in the Major Leagues.

I am not saying we should never trade top 6 prospects. I am not saying we should not trade Cecchini. Shoot, he might be the guy to trade because of Middlebrooks and Bogaerts.

However, the idea that top flight Sox prospects like Cecchini are not that successful is mistaken.

Also, my general rule on trading prospects is to try and trade the over rated ones and keep the under rated ones. I am more open to trading Bryce Brentz, Henry Owens, and the batch of AA starters, who I think are the over rated guys.

Finally, why trade Cecchini for Floyd when you might be able to sign guys even better and give up nothing? That is my main point.

[/QUOTE]

Since we have had way more top 50 draft picks the last 2-3 years than ever before, one could guess that our prospects are better now than years ago.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Great leg work on ther list, BMav. Thanks.

I'd like to narrow the list from 2003 to 2008 top 3 only:

HanRam

Pedey

Youkilis

Lester

Papelbon

Ellsbury

A Sanchez

Buchholtz

de la Rosa 

Reddick

Masterson

Shoppach

Lowrie

Hansen 

F Sanchez

B Moss

M Bowden 

L Anderson

A Alavarez 

Only maybe 3 out of 19 have not had a good MLB season.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

I like Floyd.

Cecchini was what i figured the trade value ceiling to be, but as I said, it is tough to gauge his value when his comparable is either always in mega-deals or traded by Kenny Williams, which are two factors that can throw off any radar.

As or Cecchini, I think Sox fans need to slow down on the "untradable prospect" list a little.  First, we have a 3B.  Second, if you think all of the Sox top ten are going to be Major Leaguers, not stars, just make MLB rosters, you are wrong, and history has shown this.     The Sox can gamble dealing a high profile prospect or two, and the chances that it haunts them are not so bad...

[/QUOTE]

I think, like me, some here would like to see how Cecchini handles AA before putting him in a trade. If he does outstanding in AA like he has at Greenville, his value will go way up as the pitching is more advanced as well as the hitting.

Usually I dont take prospects too seriously untill they can succeed at the AA level. Once they can do that, I believe their chances of making it to MLB are much better and other GMs will put more value on them.

Of course a prospect is a prospect and I fully understand that as well.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think, like me, some here would like to see how Cecchini handles AA before putting him in a trade. If he does outstanding in AA like he has at Greenville, his value will go way up as the pitching is more advanced as well as the hitting.

Usually I dont take prospects too seriously untill they can succeed at the AA level. Once they can do that, I believe their chances of making it to MLB are much better and other GMs will put more value on them.

Of course a prospect is a prospect and I fully understand that as well.

It's always a gamble. Cecchini could bomb in AA, and what would his value be then?

I get your point though, and what bothers me about this trade proposal is that Floyd is not under team control beyond 2013. ($9.5M is not the issue.) If we could extend Floyd, I'd give more than Cecchini... maybe Salty & Cecchini.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Great leg work on ther list, BMav. Thanks.

[/QUOTE]

No problem. We both had the same idea at the same time, saying basically the same thing.

Sox prospects tend to be under rated, not over rated. I think the facts bare that out.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

softy's rules

1) No pitcher from the NL can ever be succcesful in the AL East.

2) No pitcher who has not faced the AL east much in his career can ever pitch well vs the AL east in the future.

3) Pitchers who have a poor history vs AL East teams (like Guthrie) are worth more than any pitcher who has rarely faced the AL east.

4) No pitcher who ever pitched in Chicago, can ever be good again, since that is where Jenks came from.

5) A 5.00+ ERA was grounds to bash Wake for years, but when the whole rotation has an ERA over 5.00, it is no problem at all.

6) The plan for rebuilding our staff should be to offer journeymen starters that will end up signing for $3M or more a meager $1M/1 yr contract, except for the one insightful splurge of advocating $10M/2 for Guthrie. (Although even softy's "splurge" came up woefully short, as always, since JG signed for $25M/3.)

Esentially, his plan is to never sign a FA ever again, trade our prospects not named Bradley or Barnes, and fire Ben because he was in the room when Theo was there.

Sections
Shortcuts