gee, ACE kicked off the 40 man roster+outrighted to AAA, what did he do?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

Re: gee, ACE kicked off the 40 man roster+outrighted to AAA, what did he do?

Whatever happened Tuesday in Seattle must have pretty bad.  It's also interesting no other team in either league put a claim in. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Someone help me please.  What's the difference between "optioning" him to Pawtucket and "outrighting" him to Pawtucket?

I know, I know.  I should know this stuff.  But I don't. And if I don't ask, I won't.  :-)

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Have to think that he was not happy being bounced around. Used in relief of a guy that he felt he should have been starting ahead of . Left the game with a rather mysterious injury.  I don't think we know the whole story. Obviously, his stock has fallen so far that not one team claimed him. Alfredo has some talent. He needs a reality check. I don't think it will happen. He could be useful , but he is not nearly as good as he ( and some fans ) think he is. Bottom line : You can get away with some bad behavior if you produce. If you don't produce, it will not be tolerated. Can only hope that Aceves wakes up, but sadly , it will probably not happen. Who knows what makes people tick ?

Stabbed by Foulke.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

So what did he do? Take himself out of the game? What happened? Ive been wondering about this all week. As well as hes pitched, if he wasnt hurt there was no garden variety reason to take him out of the game and send him down.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to S5's comment:

Someone help me please.  What's the difference between "optioning" him to Pawtucket and "outrighting" him to Pawtucket?

I know, I know.  I should know this stuff.  But I don't. And if I don't ask, I won't.  :-)

I think you option him if he has options, I think outrighting him means he has no options and has to clear wavers. I could be wrong, Im no expert.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

So what did he do? Take himself out of the game? What happened? Ive been wondering about this all week. As well as hes pitched, if he wasnt hurt there was no garden variety reason to take him out of the game and send him down.

Despite all of the fun about " the most interesting man " thing , the reality is that he is an odd one. A guy with too many issues. He really should have been released last year for his insubordination. No organization should tolerate that stuff. But many were too willing to blame it on Valentine , and absolve Ace. They thought that Farrell could work with him. This was not realistic. Aceves has talent, but not nearly as much as he and some fans seem to think. Now , he is reaching the point where no one wants to deal with him. Unfortunate, but that is the reality. The chances of it changing are getting less and less. A shame.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Despite all of the fun about " the most interesting man " thing , the reality is that he is an odd one. A guy with too many issues. He really should have been released last year for his insubordination. No organization should tolerate that stuff. But many were too willing to blame it on Valentine , and absolve Ace. They thought that Farrell could work with him. This was not realistic. Aceves has talent, but not nearly as much as he and some fans seem to think. Now , he is reaching the point where no one wants to deal with him. Unfortunate, but that is the reality. The chances of it changing are getting less and less. A shame.

Hey, I know. Maybe its like what Bruce Wayne did in Batman Begins, you know, where he acted drunk and insulted all his guests at his birthday party so they would all leave because if he didnt Ras-Al-Gul would have killed them all? Yeah, thats it. Im convinced of it now. Aceves acted out just enough to distract the team into losing two games at Oakland because he knew there were disgruntled Yankees fans lying in wait to sabotage the Sox plane if they won even one more game before the break. Between now and when NY comes to town Friday, the conspirators will have been rounded up and punished, and a bronze likeness of Aceves with cape and cowl will be unveiled on Yawkee Way.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Aceves is Batman. Now it all makes sense.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

With the state of pitching as it is in MLB these days, I'm surprised nobody claimed him.

The guy went 14-1 with the Yanks with a 3.21 ERA and 1.063 WHIP, then followed that up with a very nice first season with Boston (10-2  2.61  1.105). He struggled last season as he was jerked around the pen in various roles.

He got off to a rough start this year and had the side issues that obviously led to this move, but I'm shocked no team took a chance on a pitcher with these numbers since May 1st:

IP  19.1

H   17

BB  10

K     10

ER   3

ERA  1.40

WHIP 1.400

It's not a huge sample size, but the way some pitchers are doing these days, there must be a strong reason all GMs from contending teams are staying away.

Sox4ever

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

If this surprises you......you haven't been paying attention.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to CommyContrarianOnTwitter's comment:

this is bad for ace and highly doubt he will last past this month on this team. that last performance must have been the final straw. dont think it was an injury. methinks its a behind the scenes professional isssue. cant say i'm shocked, farrell blew it with this guy, as did cherington. he deserved to b a full-time contributor in the bullpen as the lead spot-starter esp over the likes of webster's ordinary!

Not sure how they blew it.  When you get paid a $1M, you sometimes have to do what your boss tells you to do.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Perhaps "Collusion" on the part of owners. He did "whince" in the relief appearance and no one responded to the "whince." If no one paid attention to his "whince" he may have said, "I'm not going back out there." and he removed himself from the game. If that's what happened and his last episode arriving late for his start a couple of weeks ago at Fenway--finally pushed the mild mannered Manager and GM's Big Button.

I think he had options left but I think they wanted him off the 40 to clear a spot for someone not on the 40. Perhaps they have a trade brewing or as was speculated on MLBTR perhaps they are looking at moving Xman to the big club?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

The Yankees let him go because they thought he was a head case, and that still appears to be the case.  Farrell is clearly making a difference with this team, on which the chemistry is very good.  So, unlike Bobby V or even Terry F, he doesn't have to put up with "Manny being Manny" or in this case "Ace being Ace." 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

What a fool.  He's making 2.65 million this year, he better invest it well because his baseball career might be just about over.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

im sure he didnt say the right thing...

but this reminds me of all the folks here who claimed that Aceves never had a history of being a problem to his team (lolol remember that discussion) despite his abrupt yankee firing)

what say they now? sometimes the instinct to not upset the herd is bewildering considering that you are already being trampled...

As always - 100% correct!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

im sure he didnt say the right thing...

but this reminds me of all the folks here who claimed that Aceves never had a history of being a problem to his team (lolol remember that discussion) despite his abrupt yankee firing)

what say they now? sometimes the instinct to not upset the herd is bewildering considering that you are already being trampled...

As always - 100% correct!

He had an awesome season for us in 2011.

I thought he was a smaller-scale Manny, a flake who would drive you nuts at times but who would also produce for you.

Let's not forget he won 3 spot starts for us in the last month or two.

But now he has finally shot his way off the team just as Manny did.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

It's a sad case of players shooting themselves in the foot.

Now if he spends some of that $2.65 M getting an Exam of the Injury? and they find it was an injury and that the Sox  and other Baseball Owners acted together--he may never play in the Majors again but he may be able to buy his own team in the Mexican League and be the star pitcher.

Let's see who get's the last laugh.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Baseball_transactions

This is a site that may help with the terms: waivers, optionning, etc.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Baseball_transactions

This is a site that may help with the terms: waivers, optionning, etc.

Thanks Mc.  This is exactly what I was looking for!  Much appreciated.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I think you option him if he has options, I think outrighting him means he has no options and has to clear wavers. I could be wrong, Im no expert.

No, your exactly right Exam. After you go through the waiver process, because you are out of options, and are not claimed, you can then be outrighted to AAA or wherever. If you have remaining optioned, thats when they option you back down.

Its also interesting because this now opens up another spot on the 40-man roster. If you make it through waivers and are outrighted back to the minors you dont have to be on the 40-man roster anymore.  Id expect another move to be made soon.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

That is partly correct. Aceves had options. Outrightimg removes the player off the 40 man, and also exposes the player to waivers. This is slightly different than DFA which you remove a player off the 40 man and have 10 days to outright, trade, or place him back on the roster.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

That is partly correct. Aceves had options. Outrightimg removes the player off the 40 man, and also exposes the player to waivers. This is slightly different than DFA which you remove a player off the 40 man and have 10 days to outright, trade, or place him back on the roster.

I stand slightly corrected then. I didnt realize Ace had options.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

Does he have the right to refuse the outright assignment and become a free agent ?

Sections
Shortcuts