Gee, Why Can't We Get Guys Like This ...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Gee, Why Can't We Get Guys Like This ...

From Wednesday's games

... Jacoby Ellsbury reached base in all three plate appearances of his New York Yankees’ spring training debut, scoring twice ...

Josh Reddick made two highlight-reel catches to take away homers ... Brandon Moss drove in two runs during a six-run fourth inning ... Nick Punto added two hits.

Cry

Wink

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Re: Gee, Why Can't We Get Guys Like This ...

If he stays off the dl, Ells has some serious nightmare potential for Sox fans.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

All kidding aside, Ellsbury is one of those players who can make the difference between winning and losing. He has been underrated by some on this board. I am not saying that the Sox should have gotten into a bidding war with the Yankees, but he will definitely help New York , and will be missed in Boston. That represents a double loss for us.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

All kidding aside, Ellsbury is one of those players who can make the difference between winning and losing. He has been underrated by some on this board. I am not saying that the Sox should have gotten into a bidding war with the Yankees, but he will definitely help New York , and will be missed in Boston. That represents a double loss for us.

[/QUOTE]

I agree. I would have liked to have had him back, but I was against giving him the contract he got from the Yankees.

He was underrated and better defensively than given credit for being. He doesn't have an arm and that's his biggest weakness defensively. And with the short porch in right at Yankee Stadium, I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the mid-20s in home run. Just guessing, but I would guess that the shoulder injury he sustained in 2012 robbed him of some power that he'll get back too.

But my OP was all in fun. I was scanning the games today and noticed the former Red Sox who had good days.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Those two catches by Josh were amazing. There are players that have said that, it's not only the catch of the year, it's the best catch they've ever seen. It was spectacular climbing up that wall, but personally, I would tell him "Don't do that again" in spring training.

I've already said how well our players are doing on the A's. No wonder they keep grabbing them. As far as Ellsbury goes, I couldn't care less. Oh wait, I could care less if it were about Johnny Damon.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Ellsbury going to NY is probably partially to blame for Salty losing his job here.The FO knew they were going to be facing Ellsbury and the Yankees 19 times a year in the regular season and wanted a better defensive catcher behind the plate.Having AJ back there should help deter Jacoby from running wild on the bases.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ellsbury going to NY is probably partially to blame for Salty losing his job here.The FO knew they were going to be facing Ellsbury and the Yankees 19 times a year in the regular season and wanted a better defensive catcher behind the plate.Having AJ back there should help deter Jacoby from running wild on the bases.

[/QUOTE]

Interesting point, mrmojo.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

All kidding aside, Ellsbury is one of those players who can make the difference between winning and losing. He has been underrated by some on this board.

[/QUOTE]

Only thing is, you could take virtually any statement you want, and 'some on this board' would be in support of it.  We have a lot of posters here and some very diverse opinions.

My only point being, knowledgeable Sox fans understand that Ellsbury was a top-flight player when healthy.

I expect him to have a very big year for the Yankees this year if he does stay healthy.  He'll be jacked.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

All kidding aside, Ellsbury is one of those players who can make the difference between winning and losing. He has been underrated by some on this board.

[/QUOTE]

Only thing is, you could take virtually any statement you want, and 'some on this board' would be in support of it.  We have a lot of posters here and some very diverse opinions.

My only point being, knowledgeable Sox fans understand that Ellsbury was a top-flight player when healthy.

I expect him to have a very big year for the Yankees this year if he does stay healthy.  He'll be jacked.

[/QUOTE]

That's very true.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Got my first look with jacoby in a yankee uniform, not good.  The double loss is going to add up to enough games to keep it close.

The young players which the sox have make up for the loss of Jacoby.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Those two catches by Josh were amazing. There are players that have said that, it's not only the catch of the year, it's the best catch they've ever seen. It was spectacular climbing up that wall, but personally, I would tell him "Don't do that again" in spring training.

I've already said how well our players are doing on the A's. No wonder they keep grabbing them. As far as Ellsbury goes, I couldn't care less. Oh wait, I could care less if it were about Johnny Damon.

[/QUOTE] the second one was sick..it almost looks like he went the wrong way Smile

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to royf19's comment:
    [QUOTE]

From Wednesday's games

... Jacoby Ellsbury reached base in all three plate appearances of his New York Yankees’ spring training debut, scoring twice ...

Josh Reddick made two highlight-reel catches to take away homers ... Brandon Moss drove in two runs during a six-run fourth inning ... Nick Punto added two hits.

Cry

Wink

[/QUOTE]

You are joking with this thread right? Reddick? Punto?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Ells will be FANTASTIC his first 2 or 3 years of the contract.  it is the last couple that will be the albatross.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

From Wednesday's games

Cry

Wink

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Lighten up, Francis....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

From Wednesday's games

Cry

Wink

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Joking?

I never joke. This is serious stuff. These guys are probably going to be All-Stars this year. I mean -- to be that good in their first spring game. If this is how good they are on the first day, sheesh, how good do you think they'll be by the time the season starts.

Innocent

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]

From Wednesday's games

Cry

Wink

[/QUOTE]Looks like the YANK$ will go undeafeted this year !!

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I always said Ellsbury was a good, not great player, and I still feel the same. If healthy, he should help the Yankees but I don't see his impact as being major. He contributed positively overall and helped the Sox win two championships, which I will always remember and be grateful for.

It doesn't bother me when free agents go to the Yankees from the Sox. Free agency has been around so long you would think fans would come to accept that there is not "loyalty" anymore. Actually, there never really was. The teams in essence owned the players prior to free agency. All this moralizing about loyalty means very little to me. Why should the culture of baseball differ from business culture in which people go from job to job and company to company to advance themselvs? The age of loyalty in this country is long dead, and it mostly was not really about true loyalty at all. It has much more to do with the changing tides of power and opportunity.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In response to JoseLaguna's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I will hate watching Yankee games where I live and see Ellsbury being on the Evil Empire team. That channel is free on  my cable package but I won't watch those games.  I will try to retain the memory of Ellsbury as a Red Sox player. Do you realize that in the age of free agency that Ted Williams would have becomed a Yankee? So sad.

[/QUOTE]

I do not think he would have gone to NY. He and Yawkey had a great respect for each other. It was also pointed out Ted almost considered Yawkey a father figure.

Ted also had several players he was deep friends with like Pesky and Dom Dimaggio.

If he went anywhere as a FA I could see the west coast as a Giant or a Dodger

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I was a pretty big Ellsbury fan, but right now I'm thinking that Cherington might know what he is doing--see 2013--and am looking forward to seeing what Bradley/Sizemore can do. 

I think the Yankees gave up a better player in Cano and so had to sign someone like Ellsbury.  Drew, meanwhile, had a decent year in 2013, is close to the same age (one year older?) as Ellsbury, and can't get a nibble from anyone. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Yawkey & Yankee owner Dan Topping agreed on a trade to exchange Ted Williams for Joe Dimaggio one night in a bar.  Yawkey had second thoughts in the morning and asked Topping to throw in that "scrappy young left fielder, Berra," because Williams was younger than Dimaggio.  There are several versions of this story, but one thing that never changes is the names.  It would have been an interesting turn of events for sure.