Georom4 and His Comment About Drew in the Iglesias/Ciriaco Thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Georom4 and His Comment About Drew in the Iglesias/Ciriaco Thread

Georom had the biggest negative joke of a comment about Drew today. I'd like to repeat it and call him on it below:

1. He stated that Drew hasn't hit .280 since his third year.

This is a true statement, though in 2009 and 2010, he hit .261 and .278 respectively, good averages. Using .280 as a comparitive number is kind of a high number. If he had stated .250, okay, but .280 is a very good major league average.

Now the drum roll.

2. He stated that Drew has only played 100 or more games in 4 of his eight seasons.

We all acknowledge that he had injuries in 2011 and 2012 that limited him to under 100 games, but georom4 is using both Drew's rookie year and this year, 2013 in his statement. 

It would be very hard for ANYONE to play in 100 games in 2006 when you are called up as a 23 year old on July 15th. There were only 70 something games left in the season when he was called up.

The 4th season that Drew didn't play 100 games is guess what year? Yup, 2013. The Red Sox have only played 46 games this year, so it would be hard for ANYONE to play 100 games.

Stop spinning the BS georom4.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Re: Georom4 and His Comment About Drew in the Iglesias/Ciriaco Thread

In response to ADG's comment:

Georom had the biggest negative joke of a comment about Drew today. I'd like to repeat it and call him on it below:

This is a true statement, though in 2009 and 2010, he hit .261 and .278 respectively, good averages. Using .280 as a comparitive number is kind of a high number. If he had stated .250, okay, but .280 is a very good major league average.

Now the drum roll.

2. He stated that Drew has only played 100 or more games in 4 of his eight seasons.

We all acknowledge that he had injuries in 2011 and 2012 that limited him to under 100 games, but georom4 is using both Drew's rookie year and this year, 2013 in his statement. 

It would be very hard for ANYONE to play in 100 games in 2006 when you are called up as a 23 year old on July 15th. There were only 70 something games left in the season when he was called up.

The 4th season that Drew didn't play 100 games is guess what year? Yup, 2013. The Red Sox have only played 46 games this year, so it would be hard for ANYONE to play 100 games.

Wow a positive post from ADG. Good for you!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Now the drum roll.

I also find those using his incomplete years,2011 and 2012, due to a broken ankle, as a good aassesment of who he is and his numbers in those years. Ok, as if nobody knows what they are doing.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Now the drum roll.

are you watching the game tonight? what BS are you spreading? The whole point of this was to counter the rah rah nonsense of ten game samples to justify SDrews horrible contract/ This is a very simple fact = he has not hit .280 since his THIRD year....he has not played over 100 games since 2010. 

Stop right there.

Does that make you feel better?

Are we not supposed to count the first year of his career? I can see your point about this year and it its inclusion simply unfair....but that is it. (btw what are the odds he does this year?)

The guy was signed for FIVE TIMES the amount of money of the guy he replaced (Aviles) and 33% more than Scutaro (who was sent packing because his salary was too high)

Now check the averages of both guys who TOGETHER are being paid less than SDREW. 

So ADG, who is spreading what? Is SDREW a good signing or not? I never believed you of all people would play the semantic game like Pike. My post was quite accurate and informative - especially in light of his career production v the guys he replaced. I'm sorry if you like Sdrew - but facts are stubborn things....btw want to wager how many games SDREW plays this year? 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

Now the drum roll.

are you watching the game tonight? what BS are you spreading? The whole point of this was to counter the rah rah nonsense of ten game samples to justify SDrews horrible contract/ This is a very simple fact = he has not hit .280 since his THIRD year....he has not played over 100 games since 2010. 

Stop right there.

Are we not supposed to count the first year of his career? I can see your point about this year and it its inclusion simply unfair....but that is it. (btw what are the odds he does this year?)

The guy was signed for FIVE TIMES the amount of money of the guy he replaced (Aviles) and 33% more than Scutaro (who was sent packing because his salary was too high)

Now check the averages of both guys who TOGETHER are being paid less than SDREW. 

So ADG, who is spreading what? Is SDREW a good signing or not? I never believed you of all people would play the semantic game like Pike. My post was quite accurate and informative - especially in light of his career production v the guys he replaced. I'm sorry if you like Sdrew - but facts are stubborn things....btw want to wager how many games SDREW plays this year? 

No, because there wasnt even 100 games to possibly play in his first season, so how could he? He played in every game available though.

besides that 1st year when he came up in July, he has played in 150, 152 and 152 games and then 135 one year. Then came the injury in 2011. That proves that hes shown up.

How about we wait until the season is about over to assess what he has done this year. whining about something like this in May and skewing numbers to distort the truth doesnt do much for your credibility.

Oh, and again...Scutaro doesnt play SS anymore. He hasnt since he left and its the reason they got rid of him. hes a 2b.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Now the drum roll.

I also find those using his incomplete years,2011 and 2012, due to a broken ankle, as a good aassesment of who he is and his numbers in those years. Ok, as if nobody knows what they are doing.

So why would you give him close to ten million dollars if he has been unable to play at the ML level since 2010? Does Ben believe that injuries were flukes concerning his durability and his career averages misleading? Please explain this....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Now the drum roll.

Stop right there.

No, because there wasnt even 100 games to possibly play in his first season, so how could he? He played in every game available though.

besides that 1st year when he came up in July, he has played in 150, 152 and 152 games and then 135 one year. Then came the injury in 2011. That proves that hes shown up.

How about we wait until the season is about over to assess what he has done this year. whining about something like this in May and skewing numbers to distort the truth doesnt do much for your credibility.

I have to wait until this season is over to judge him but I'm not allowed to use his career averages in my estimation of his abilities? Is that your point? In what world do you live in where this is a sane argument? laughable.....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Now the drum roll.

So why would you give him close to ten million dollars if he has been unable to play at the ML level since 2010? Does Ben believe that injuries were flukes concerning his durability and his career averages misleading? Please explain this....

He made 8.5 M last year and like a couple of the Sox deals they gave Drew more for a 1yr deal. He had a 2 yr offer. He broke his ankle. Pretty cut and dry Geo. Im not gonna do this with you anymore. youve already lost credibility.

Have a good night whining

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Now the drum roll.

Stop right there.

I have to wait until this season is over to judge him but I'm not allowed to use his career averages in my estimation of his abilities? Is that your argument? In what world do you live in where this is a sane argument? laughable.....

your allowed to skew whatever stats you want to fit your arguement. Nobodys gonna take you too seriously though...Like me...have a nice night :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Now the drum roll.

Stop right there.

I have to wait until this season is over to judge him but I'm not allowed to use his career averages in my estimation of his abilities? Is that your argument? In what world do you live in where this is a sane argument? laughable.....

your allowed to skew whatever stats you want to fit your arguement. Nobodys gonna take you too seriously though...Like me...have a nice night :)

you are entitled to your opinion.....good nite

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

So why would you give him close to ten million dollars if he has been unable to play at the ML level since 2010?

Name the posters who said $9.5M was the right amount to pay this guy.

You are arguing with a strawman.

I have wanted Iggy to be our SS for 2 years, but trying to paint Drew as a poor hitting SS is just nothing more than a distorion. He has been injured recently, and the numbers are down, but overall, he has been a plus on offense when compared to other SSs.

2013: tied for 9th in WAR among the top 27 MLB SSs with 120+ PAs.

2013: 8th in OPS (.713) out of 27 SSs with 120+ PAs.

2012-2013: 17th out of 28 in OPS (.673) with 450+ PAs.

2011-2013: 17th out of 30 in OPS (.691) with 800+ PAs. (14th out of 34 in 2011 w 350+ PAs)

2010-2013: 16th out of 41 in WAR and 10th out of 41 SSs in OPS with 800+ PAs. (4th /29 in OPS '10)

Drew has been a top half offensive SS in 3 of the last 4 years.  Top 3rd in 2 of 4. Top 1/4th when you put them all together.

Guys, many of us want Iggy as our SS, but distorting Drew's offense is hurting our argument.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"We'll see how big a fool that Cherry was once S. Drew's back in the dumpster at seaosn end."

Interesting how you aren't calling for Cherry's firing anymore, but then again that's tough to do when the team he manages is a half game out of first and the team he unloaded our terrible contracts on while you howled in protest is in last place in their division and sinking fast. We're all glad you're in here criticizing his every move rather than managing the team yourself. 

As for ADG, nice job man, refreshing to see you calling someone else out for bashing our players rather than piling on. Though I do think that the Drew versus Iggy thing is a bit overplayed. Drew could still be getting some playing time and Iggy could still have a bigger role on the big league team. Some of it comes down to whether you view this as a season to "play the kids" or to contend. It looks like we are contending, so Iggy's offensive struggles are an issue. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

What is this "out of X number of SS's"?  This guy isn't being paid 10 million to be "ranked X out of X number of SS in X offensive stat".

And "last 4 years"? How about "career" and "last 2.25 years.

One look at this guys numbers in 2013, K:BB, HR, BA, OBP, SLG and OPS and games played and you get a 10 million dollar lemon. We'll see how big a fool that Cherry was once S. Drew's back in the dumpster at seaosn end.

It's very quiet, except for trade talk about Ells, who coincidentally is making over $9. He warmed up a little last night and he has one of the Sox top prospects waiting in the wings. Quiet, very quiet.

Drew is our only Major League ready SS. Iggy not playing SS and Boggie is fluctuating daily at AA. Diaz or Holt @ AAA are kind of splitting time at SS. Iggy is able to field cannot hit. Diaz and Holt are in the same boat(.200, .209, .212). Those are the three players and their BA's.

I'd be the first to agree $9 + is a lot of money---would we have been having this argument if Iggy had a .185 BA during ST? maybe.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

"LET ME BE CLEAR",     Drew is ovaapaid & ovaarated !!!

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Georem just likes to run his mouth.

Being anywhere close to factual is a secondary concern.

Must be one heck of a history teacher... Surprised

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

Not true..... I have always found Gerome to be "FAIR & BALANCED", and one of the better posters on this board !!!   IMO....

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

Not true..... I have always found Gerome to be "FAIR & BALANCED", and one of the better posters on this board !!!   IMO....

I rest my case...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

What was stated by Geo was correct but misleading in the respect that it was tilted to make his beliefs correct. Most posters do the same with their theories.

By taking out the rookie and this year does weaken his argument but does not kill it.

We can not take away the year(s) he was hurt and discount them.

Nor can we use them as an aid to say he is not worth the money.

Both sides have a point and both can be valid.

My belief is that Drew is better than anything we have had since Nomar/OC. 10 Million worth probably not but not 3 mil or less.

Drew is an above average SS. Good/steady not great D. Above average hitter IMHO 270.

Not that it is very important but he also seems to play very well in the post season and is a good club house guy.

Lastly IMHO salaries are all over the place and what position you play as well as your history and age is how you are paid. As well as how much that team believes they need you to fill their specific needs. So IMHO the RS knew they had SS covered (Iggy/Drew)  after years of not knowing at a total of 11 million. Plus we do not know if Drew's contract had an out in case his ankle was not healed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Why would you take out the years he was injured? is this not a sign of his durability? Injuries are usually not caused by bad luck....some of course are but conditioning, flexibility, reflexes, and ability to overcome pain are paramount to having a long career in sports. 

But no one who supports Drew on this thread will even admit he was a good signing.....thats when you know you have lost....his salary and performance thus far make him a lost cause already....and the only way for him to reverse that reality is to play everyday and go on a hitting tear to raise his averages, lower hs K's and play excellent defense....and that is simply not happening...