Georom4 and His Comment About Drew in the Iglesias/Ciriaco Thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Georom4 and His Comment About Drew in the Iglesias/Ciriaco Thread

In response to georom4's comment:

Why would you take out the years he was injured? is this not a sign of his durability? Injuries are usually not caused by bad luck....some of course are but conditioning, flexibility, reflexes, and ability to overcome pain are paramount to having a long career in sports. 

But no one who supports Drew on this thread will even admit he was a good signing.....thats when you know you have lost....his salary and performance thus far make him a lost cause already....and the only way for him to reverse that reality is to play everyday and go on a hitting tear to raise his averages, lower hs K's and play excellent defense....and that is simply not happening...

Ive said it was a good signing. Maybe 9.5 was a bit for some, but considering they had no faith in Iggys bat and had a big need for a 1 yr SS, they offered a little more so he would take the deal. Thats how the game works sometimes. Im not so hung up as some here are on overpaying a player for an obvious need for only 1 year. Its really a non issue. If it was a 3yr deal I could see your point, but its not. Its not hurting them in any way shape or form financially going forward.

He slid into home and caught the shin gaurd of the catcher. Nothing to do with conditioning and not being in shape or being able to tolerate pain. It was exactly what you dont think it was caused by...Bad luck.

http://www.sportsgrid.com/mlb/video-diamondbacks-shortstop-stephen-drew-suffers-gruesome-freak-injury/

Ill look at his numbers toward the end of the season to make any evaluations. He started out slow for obvious reasons and has heated up starting around 4/22. Since that time hes had an .828 OPS

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

thanks for the laughs guys. Geo is still chairman of the whiner brigade i see...

IRT the OP: spot on ADG. if stupidity is left unchecked then it runs rampant. Geo is the dumbest of the dumb and this is another clear illustration of his IQ (or lackthereof).

IRT drew: He is better than advertized IMO. his defense is even better than I expected and his offensive game has come around after the slow start (due to limited ST ABs). is he/will he be worth the money? probably not.. but who cares? it's a 1 year deal and didn't keep us from signing another guy..  who'd have thunk there would be so many tears over a 1 year deal? not only a 1 year deal but a 1 year deal for a good player filling a position of dire need.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Why would you take out the years he was injured? is this not a sign of his durability? Injuries are usually not caused by bad luck....some of course are but conditioning, flexibility, reflexes, and ability to overcome pain are paramount to having a long career in sports. 

But no one who supports Drew on this thread will even admit he was a good signing.....thats when you know you have lost....his salary and performance thus far make him a lost cause already....and the only way for him to reverse that reality is to play everyday and go on a hitting tear to raise his averages, lower hs K's and play excellent defense....and that is simply not happening...

OK, I will bite ... again.  I am going to parce something out with you here regarding injury and durability:

In general, broken bones in sports, especially baseball, are freak accidents, not the result of poor durability.  And, even if it was somehow related to a lack of durability, I think it would take more than one break to even jump to that conclusion.  If he had a history of bad ankles prior to the terrible break, ok, maybe, like some basketball players, he has just got weak ankles and we can conclude he will always have the 'durability' problem.  But, it was a freak accident.  There is nothing in his history to suggest durability problems.

But, let me give you an example of a durability problem, so you can understand the difference.  See, durability is about the propensity of the body to break down under the intense physical demands of sport.  Durability issue:  Marco Scutaro, awesome hard nose gamer, clutch hitter, leader by example and one time acceptably-capable shortstop.  Well, his shoulder gradually fell off from over-use.  So, he was no longer able to play short stop.  The Sox needed a shortstop who could reach first base with a throw, and had a second baseman, so they did not re-sign Marco Scutaro.  The Giants needed a second baseman, so they hired him as a second baseman, which is where he has played in SF and where he has not sniffed shortstop.  

Durability is an arm falling off from over-use.  Ankle break from freak bang-bang play:  not durability issue.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

And I will readily admit:  Drew was a good signing.  The level of production he is at right now, both offensively and defensively, easily justifies the annual salary.  And as a one-year rental, there is nothing not to like.  Imminently moveable as piece if necessary.  As good a place-holder as you can find.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

And I will readily admit:  Drew was a good signing.  The level of production he is at right now, both offensively and defensively, easily justifies the annual salary.  And as a one-year rental, there is nothing not to like.  Imminently moveable as piece if necessary.  As good a place-holder as you can find.

are you watching the game at all?  clearly tanking on both sides of the field......you must have some serious meditation skills if you have convinced yourself that what you just wrote is true....like living in some alternate universe....very Spaceman like

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

BA .214 OBP .316 SLG .368 OPS .684        Cost 9.5M to 10M   S. Drew  2013

BA .450  OBP .476 SLG .550  OPS 1.026   Cost 2M             Iglesias 2013

BA .202  OBP .265  SLG .277  OPS .541       Iglesias  Career 

Budget the 10M elsewhere, and pinch hit for Iglesias as needed. While Iglesias is a weak hitter, so is S. Drew. Better defense with Iglesais and about 8 million cheaper.

You can say the same thing for Victorino, Dempster right?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

are you watching the game at all?  clearly tanking on both sides of the field......you must have some serious meditation skills if you have convinced yourself that what you just wrote is true....like living in some alternate universe....very Spaceman like

No alternate universe Georom.  However, you are almost correct.  My meditation skills have taught me not to live in the past or the future, or in my own mental constructions, but to be here, now.  In the present.  If you are watching Drew play, without your own pre-fabricated notions coloring the experience, here in the present, the dude is solid.  Not great.  But very solid.  You are welcome.  Ommmmmmmmmmmm.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I was listening to the Sox game on the radio about a week ago and Joe Castiglione said there was a stretch of four straight Sox wins where Drew had the game-winning hit.  I know I can think of at least two games we wouldn't have won without him, and one we might have won if he had been in there instead of Ciriaco who cost us the game.

As for injuries, he's only had one really - it was just a very bad one that happened 80 games into a season and took a year to recover.

Aviles looked good last May too, but not so much by last September.  If Aviles and Scutaro stay healthy they might look like bargains come the end of the year next to Drew, but Drew will look like a bargain next to Jeter and Jimmy Rollins.  And seriously - we've got money to burn and a half-dozen shortstop prospects.  Spending a little more for a one-year contract makes sense to me.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

I was listening to the Sox game on the radio about a week ago and Joe Castiglione said there was a stretch of four straight Sox wins where Drew had the game-winning hit.  I know I can think of at least two games we wouldn't have won without him, and one we might have won if he had been in there instead of Ciriaco who cost us the game.

As for injuries, he's only had one really - it was just a very bad one that happened 80 games into a season and took a year to recover.

Aviles looked good last May too, but not so much by last September.  If Aviles and Scutaro stay healthy they might look like bargains come the end of the year next to Drew, but Drew will look like a bargain next to Jeter and Jimmy Rollins.  And seriously - we've got money to burn and a half-dozen shortstop prospects.  Spending a little more for a one-year contract makes sense to me.

Thats what Im saying. Ive never heard so much whining about a 1 yr deal that is not even hindering us from making another move if needed. The team secured a need they had and if it took a couple mil extra to do it, so be it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Drew had ONE INJURY that took out half of his 2011 and 2012.  One injury.  Does one injury make him "prone"?  If one injury makes you injury-prone, Jacoby Ellsbury should be considered legally dead.

And if you hold against Drew his rookie year, when he was called up with 73 games remaining, and this year, which is 48 games old, as seasons he "failed to play 100 games," what conclusion can we draw?

Simple - Will Middlebrooks is injury-prone. 

Think about it.  Middlebrooks only played 75 games last year (and he was called up with well over 100 games left).  He has not played 100 games this year.  I am spottng a trend here.  How long are we going to put up with this klutz?

And where is he now?

On the DL.  So typical.

Trade Middlebrooks ASAP!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to slomag's comment:

Thats what Im saying. Ive never heard so much whining about a 1 yr deal that is not even hindering us from making another move if needed. The team secured a need they had and if it took a couple mil extra to do it, so be it.

Exactly.

Even stupider are the complaints that the Sox would never be able to move him "without paying his entire salary."

Seriously?  That's a pretty dumb complaint.  The Sox SHOULD pay his entire salary if they are sellers in July.  They should offer to do so up front.  The rule of the thumb is, the more money you include, the better prospect/player you get back.  Does georom think the Sox should take less for him and save some cash?

Paying a player on another team is really only a hindrance if it limits your chance to make other moves.  But if the Sox deal Drew in July, chances are the team will be doing so because the season is going nowhere.  Therefore, they will not be "adding salary."  And as Drew is on a one year deal, paying his entire contract will not hinder the team's ability to make moves for next season.

Even if they deal him and try to keep 2013 alive, Drew's deal is harldy an albatross.   This isn't like paying $28mill over the next two seasons to watch Vernon Wells wear another uniform.  By July 31, his remaining salary for the season will be under $4mill...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

I guess using your logic Gronkowski isnt injury prone either....lots of "freak" injuries there as well....

there is no category for missed games due to injuries because of bad luck - suck it up Notin - either you play or you dont...and Drew hasnt played 100 games since 2010 (and that is only a lousy .617%)

and frankly if he continues to tank, you will wish that he turns up with a phantom injury like WMiddlebrooks that can only be cured by taking 2 weeks off....

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

BTW   Drew .208 OBP .306 +

$9.5 million =

Ben -Midas Touch

But hey, Space and southpaw say he is a GREAT signing...

GREAT....

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

It's really something when some one person has to work so hard to try to destroy someone they don't even know.

"geomminny crickets" do you really care that much to spend so much of an effort to build a case against a good player and a good person. I didn't say a great player  I said a good player. You and Softy law and Bill among others are working so hard to make people look bad. Let me tell you a secret everyone  else on the board knows except you guys--BenC and JF and TW and JH and LL don't read the forums---it's true and it's their decisions that matter and they don't listen to your vitriol---they don't care what you think about Drew, Ells, Dempster, Doubie, Aceves, Salty, Ciriaco, Gomes, ShaVic, or whoever is the flavor of the day.

They are smart people, they pay the salaries and ultimately if the team fails  they take the heat but what you and your fellow t ballers say matters not one bit. Now take your medication and don't get your significant others all upset, it's a holiday weekend, thank a vet and remember all the good people that have gone before you that also allow you to express your opinions on this forum...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

It's really something when some one person has to work so hard to try to destroy someone they don't even know.

"geomminny crickets" do you really care that much to spend so much of an effort to build a case against a good player and a good person. I didn't say a great player  I said a good player. You and Softy law and Bill among others are working so hard to make people look bad. Let me tell you a secret everyone  else on the board knows except you guys--BenC and JF and TW and JH and LL don't read the forums---it's true and it's their decisions that matter and they don't listen to your vitriol---they don't care what you think about Drew, Ells, Dempster, Doubie, Aceves, Salty, Ciriaco, Gomes, ShaVic, or whoever is the flavor of the day.

They are smart people, they pay the salaries and ultimately if the team fails  they take the heat but what you and your fellow t ballers say matters not one bit. Now take your medication and don't get your significant others all upset, it's a holiday weekend, thank a vet and remember all the good people that have gone before you that also allow you to express your opinions on this forum...

you are on a thread that was written to call me out for my opinion.....thank a vet indeed

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

In response to ConanObrien's comment:

Geo still whining about this......sad.

Do you ever post anything of substance, or minimally, on point?  Scrolling through threads, the only input I see from you are either snarky one-liners or "stalkerish" jibes at Bill.  How about contributing something useful, or is the concept of analysis too profound for your mind to wrap itself around? 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to gr82bme's comment:

Do you ever post anything of substance, or minimally, on point?  Scrolling through threads, the only input I see from you are either snarky one-liners or "stalkerish" jibes at Bill.  How about contributing something useful, or is the concept of analysis too profound for your mind to wrap itself around? 

you dont have him on ignore? the guy is a total tool - and the worst part is he is not even funny - I would unignore him if he would at least come up with something decent - Don Rickles he is not

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

In response to gr82bme's comment:

you dont have him on ignore? the guy is a total tool - and the worst part is he is not even funny - I would unignore him if he would at least come up with something decent - Don Rickles he is not

I don't put folks on ignore as even trolls sometimes contribute to the discussions at hand.  And I agree, if you're going to be snarky, at least be funny - he's not - just childish.  Oh well, a waste is a terrible thing to mind.

25. This post has been removed.