Get our boy Masterson back

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FarmFan. Show FarmFan's posts

Get our boy Masterson back

We got one of the best hitting catchers of all time for Justin, just to kick him to the curb after two years in favor of a guy who was rightfully benched.  Now, two years later Justin has become a solid starter and Tek still hits 200.

Theo, you really need to right this wrong.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Get our boy Masterson back

Masterson still has issues with LH batters
    AVG  OBP   SLG    OPS  (career stats)
    296    .381    .433       .814

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=masteju01&year=Career&t=p

Theres the rest of the stats..Sox got great value with VMart. approx. 10mil for a year and a half. The sox werent going to pay VMart, whos basically a DH now, what hes getting paid by Detroit for that many years. JM is a good pitcher, but he still has his issues. Plus the Sox DID try to get him back, and Detroit said no..Move on Bro..Thats was 2 years ago.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from StatsFromLouie. Show StatsFromLouie's posts

In Response to Get our boy Masterson back:
    [QUOTE]We got one of the best hitting catchers of all time for Justin, just to kick him to the curb after two years in favor of a guy who was rightfully benched.  Now, two years later Justin has become a solid starter and Tek still hits 200. Theo, you really need to right this wrong.
    Posted by FarmFan[/QUOTE]
    Do you like anyone on your team or do you just want to replace them all?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from FarmFan. Show FarmFan's posts

In Response to Re: Get our boy Masterson back:
    [QUOTE]Masterson still has issues with LH batters AVG  OBP   SLG    OPS  (career stats) 296    .381    .433       .814   http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=masteju01&year=Career&t=p Theres the rest of the stats..Sox got great value with VMart. approx. 10mil for a year and a half. The sox werent going to pay VMart, whos basically a DH now, what hes getting paid by Detroit for that many years. JM is a good pitcher, but he still has his issues. Plus the Sox DID try to get him back, and Detroit said no..Move on Bro..Thats was 2 years ago.
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]

southpaw, for the record it was Cleveland that said no to us getting Justin back.  AS Far as Victor?  He could have done as well or better than any catcher we have for a couple more years as our catcher with Salty, then DH when Papi is gone but that option may end up going to Youk at some point.

No knowledgeable "just loyal" Red Sox fan will ever get over Theo finally replacing a useless catcher, then bringing him back again.  Y. Molina is a real catcher who can run, keep runners at bay, hit, play great defense and call a great game.  Those are the catchers that are remembered.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i was pretty upset they traded Justin but you have to move on...why would CLeveland give him back????

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

sorry, I meant cleveland..I was talking Victor and.....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Thats whaT Im saying..Vmart would only have some value for a year and MAYBE 2 behind the plate..IMO, hes not worth 13mil for that many years(4). But like i said..Its just my opinion..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Southpaw, you are arguing with a guy, Farmfan, who does not realize that the Sox do not want to pay a DH more than $8million. Paying Victor $13per for 2.5-3 years of DH wasnt going to happen, and Victor is at the stage where catching 100 plus breaks his body down to the point of offensive decline.
    Papi got the "owners over ride" on his contract this year. S/b interesting next year IF Iglesias is ready, and Lowrie needs to slide to 3B and Youk to DH, what the Papi offer will be, and what other teams may offer.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

rkarp, Theo may get the owner override again on bringing Papi back next year as well. Scutty will be replaced by Iglesias and Lowrie will be the supersub again. Maybe Jed can learn to play RF.

I do think Youk should DH more and more as the years go on, to save his health and keep his bat fresh.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to Get our boy Masterson back:
    [QUOTE]We got one of the best hitting catchers of all time for Justin, just to kick him to the curb after two years in favor of a guy who was rightfully benched.  Now, two years later Justin has become a solid starter and Tek still hits 200. Theo, you really need to right this wrong.
    Posted by FarmFan[/QUOTE]   "LET ME BE CLEAR"..... IN TALKING WITH THEO, WE UNDERSTAND THAT YOU AND MANY OTHERS DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT IS INVOLVED IN RUNNING A  M L BASEBALL TEAM..... THERE ARE TIMES WHEN COLLATERAL DAMAGE IS NECESSARY IN ORDER TO COMPLETE THE OVERALL MISSION.  NOW THEN, WE ARE NOT GOING TO GO BACK TO THE LINES OF 1967 AS THOSE YEARS ARE GONE BY.....  THANKS FOR YOUR CONCERN !!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

So if I offered you Clay for Masterson straight up would you take it?  if I had asked that same question last year what would you have said?  Can you be sure that if I made that offer this time next year your answer would be the same as now?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-yazzer. Show the-yazzer's posts

bill and theo are bunk mates.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]bill and theo are bunk mates.
    Posted by the-yazzer[/QUOTE] SON, YOU HAVE 95 POSTS TO THIS BOARD. IS THAT THE BEST YOU CAN DO ??

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe--1. Show --The--Babe--1's posts

[QUOTE]rkarp, Theo may get the owner override again on bringing Papi back next year as well. Scutty will be replaced by Iglesias and Lowrie will be the supersub again. Maybe Jed can learn to play RF. I do think Youk should DH more and more as the years go on, to save his health and keep his bat fresh.

Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Not to mention keeping his below average glove at 3rd out of the field.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Get our boy Masterson back : Not to mention keeping his below average glove at 3rd out of the field.
    Posted by --The--Babe--1[/QUOTE]

He may be a below average fielding 3rd baseman with his 3rd base career fielding percentage of .966,but he's still better than Alex Rodriguez and his 3rd base fielding average of .965.
    Just saying ..........

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

[QUOTE]i was pretty upset they traded Justin but you have to move on...why would CLeveland give him back????
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Precisely, as he is young durable, and cheap!  Every team would love to have Masterson despite his struggles against lefties.  Heck it didn't seem to be a huge issue last night although the sox lefties did hit him fairly well(Crawford's dinger as exhibit A) but when you hold righties to a ridiculously low .140 average it is definately workable!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

The Sox actually tried to get him back a few different times,but Cleveland wants to keep him there