Getting ready for spring training

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Getting ready for spring training

Today after a lot of lying and sneaking around, I went back to the gym for the first time since before the holidays.  But really for the past ten months due to deaths in the family, and an excessive amount of travel, working out, instead of a habit , has become something to dodge or just talk about.  Today the bill came due and I had insufficient funds. Tread mill and weight reps seemed alien and abhorrent to me, and when I realized I hadn't died, I was struck by the horrifying thought that the only way to fix this was to get back in the car tomorrow, drive over there and crawl back into the building and try to kill myself again Oh the horror!  So I ask, WHAT SHAPE ARE YOU IN?  Anyhow 1 day at a time.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Getting ready for spring training

In response to billge's comment:

Today after a lot of lying and sneaking around, I went back to the gym for the first time since before the holidays.  But really for the past ten months due to deaths in the family, and an excessive amount of travel, working out, instead of a habit , has become something to dodge or just talk about.  Today the bill came due and I had insufficient funds. Tread mill and weight reps seemed alien and abhorrent to me, and when I realized I hadn't died, I was struck by the horrifying thought that the only way to fix this was to get back in the car tomorrow, drive over there and crawl back into the building and try to kill myself again Oh the horror!  So I ask, WHAT SHAPE ARE YOU IN?  Anyhow 1 day at a time.

I've lost 32 pounds since August 2012, but have leveled off. I'd like to lose another 32. I walk nearly everyday for 45-75 minutes, but need to do soemthing more challenging.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Before what I just decribed, I had lost a similar amount of weight and had also hit a wall, partly due to diet, l do like sweets. I have heard of the idea of muscle confusion, which someone here can explain I'm sure, but it does seem to call for changes in type of exercise in order to cntinue positive progress

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I've lost 32 pounds since August 2012, but have leveled off. I'd like to lose another 32. I walk nearly everyday for 45-75 minutes, but need to do soemthing more challenging.

Try running as much of it as you can Moon. Its a much more efficient way to burn up calories. Weight loss is 90% diet anyway though.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Before what I just decribed, I had lost a similar amount of weight and had also hit a wall, partly due to diet, l do like sweets. I have heard of the idea of muscle confusion, which someone here can explain I'm sure, but it does seem to call for changes in type of exercise in order to cntinue positive progress

Muscle confusion involves changing the way you work out-like doing different exercises for you biceps or chest in the gym so your muscles see a slightly different stress to them. I don't think this works for aerobic exercise such as running, swimming, or biking since the goal there is not to build muscle.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

Yes, I am too. I will be doing a half marathon in Fla, mid February, and may have a chance to see the Sox while I'm down there, which is a bucket list item for me. The problem is, after losing about 25 lbs, I've hit a plateau and can't go any lower. That, and the fact that I'm training about as hard as Felix Doubront, and well, you get the picture. Meanwhile my kid brother signed up for the full marathon, and is actually training for it! so, one of these days soon, I'm gonna get my mojo back and get the smack ready. But not today.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Thank you for clarifying pumpsie.  By the way guys the gym just called and said other members had asked that I not return, because they felt it would be unsettling to se someone expire during their workouts. Actually that is the lie I was going to tell my wife, in order to avoid going back tomorrow.  Do you think it is plausible?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

I understand fully Youk,; I like the training table more than the training.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

Oh, and the cold weather, that's another thing.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Thank you for clarifying pumpsie.  By the way guys the gym just called and said other members had asked that I not return, because they felt it would be unsettling to se someone expire during their workouts. Actually that is the lie I was going to tell my wife, in order to avoid going back tomorrow.  Do you think it is plausible?

HAHA!!!!!!  It's always worth a try.  I stay in decent shape during the Spring, Summer and early fall.....but once the cold months kick in up here in Maine....all bets are off.  I like to run and I golf a ton and pretty always walk the course....and when you don't hit the ball very straight, it's a lot of walking!  My killer is the winter time.  Since November I have gained about 12 pounds, doesn't sound like a lot, but I'm not a mountain of a man either.  What destroys me is not necassarily just the eating...because I eat a lot no matter the time of year....it's the innactivity.  All I do during the winter is snowmobile which doesn't really burn too many calories....coupled with a stop at the local pub for chili fries, rings, wings and a nice heavy winter local brew.....then it's all over.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Cold weather is a really outstanding excuse. King you could buy snowshoes or cross country skis with the gas money you save by getting off the snow machine.  Of course you could ice fish, but once the holes are cut, all there is to do is drink.  I used to have a sled just for the beer.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

My usual off-season maintenance: one hour yoga and ride my bike 20 miles a day for five days a week.  Problem is I also drink my weight every night in wine whiskey and beer.  I promise to level that off before camp opens (Nieves would have in minor league camp in a heartbeat if I came in with a Beckett belly).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Cold weather is a really outstanding excuse. King you could buy snowshoes or cross country skis with the gas money you save by getting off the snow machine.  Of course you could ice fish, but once the holes are cut, all there is to do is drink.  I used to have a sled just for the beer.

HAHA!! Can't ski but I do have shoes but honestly, it's been so insanely cold here lately.  Today was the first day we broke 20 degrees in 2.5 weeks.  Shoeing with the temp at 9 is simply not fun.  Haven't even been able to saddle up on the sled more than twice in that time......so my best friend has been my local brew 'Chistmas Ale'.......

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Well off I go, so if you don't see me post again, well you know.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I got off my consistent riding back in October when the Red Sox were in the postseason, and I was staying up late all the time watching all the postgame stuff on various channels. Then it became one thing after another -- laziness rearing its ugly head occassionally, but also some legitimate reasons.

I've been on my bike just a few times the last 2 1/2 months, the last time when I went on a couple of 25-mile rides on Christmas Eve and the day before. The rides weren't very strong, but on the other hand, considering my layoff and how windy it was, I was stronger than expected.

My New  Year's Resolutions will begin Sunday. I've got a schedule planned out to ramp up my miles. Want to be up to 150 to 200 miles a week by the end of February, and I want to lose about 25 pounds. My ultimate goal is to do a Century ride some time this year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Well off I go, so if you don't see me post again, well you know.

Hang in there. It usually takes about 6-8 weeks of putting up with workouts before you start really wanting to do them because they make you feel good. My preference is running: I have run over 40,000 miles over about 36 years and have been lifting weights for 30 years. I also have an Cybex 6000 Arc Trainer in my home for when the weather does not permit running.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Try running as much of it as you can Moon. Its a much more efficient way to burn up calories. Weight loss is 90% diet anyway though.

I need to get back to my eliptical. Running started bothering my knees.

I keep my carbs low. No processed sugar or flour.

I lost 85 pounds once in 5 months on the Atkin's Diet.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

I need to get back to my eliptical. Running started bothering my knees.

I keep my carbs low. No processed sugar or flour.

I lost 85 pounds once in 5 months on the Atkin's Diet.

32 lbs is good work! I think its a matter of calories in/calories out. The Atkins Diet works too, but no one can stay on that forever. Good luck!

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

When getting back into shape I would just do cardio and stretching for the first week.  When you do hit the weights, keep it simple.  Curls, pull downs, leg extensions.  Stay off your back...no benching..until you know your blood pressure will not drop.

Also take a look at the locker room before you shower.  Lots of viruses can be picked up from a dirty shower.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to steven11's comment:

When getting back into shape I would just do cardio and stretching for the first week.  When you do hit the weights, keep it simple.  Curls, pull downs, leg extensions.  Stay off your back...no benching..until you know your blood pressure will not drop.

Also take a look at the locker room before you shower.  Lots of viruses can be picked up from a dirty shower.

Stretching is good for getting more limber but you have to do it all the time. Yoga is great for that purpose. Stretching does NOT reduce the number of injuries an athlete suffers during a workout; thats a common misconception. As for your BP dropping during a workout, thats unlikely to happen if you remain hydrated. Your BP goes UP during workouts, not down. I would be more concerned about a workout program in an individual who has high BP, especially undiagnosed and untreated high BP, as your BP will certainly go UP during your workout.

Sections
Shortcuts