getting what you pay for?????

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

getting what you pay for?????

Salary             P  G   AB   Ave.  HR   RBI   OBP   OPS

Player A:  $22.5mil   1B   15   53    .224     6     16    .364   .949

Player B:  $22mil      1B   17   65    .277     1     8     .365   .780

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

Re: getting what you pay for?????

Im guessing player A is mark texiera and player B is adrian gonzalez. It makes you wonder, the FO would not sign tex for the same money essentially they gave adrian when tex would have only cost money and a draft pick where as gonzo cost 2 top prospects and a good prospect. Also tex had already played in the AL and is a switch hitter (ie more balanced line up)Not sure what kind of logic the FO uses. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

17 games is a worthless comparison when dealing with 7 - 8 year contracts.  Let's revisit each October.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Player A  last 3 yrs road OPS  .835
    Player B  last 3 yrs road OPS  .989

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from terrytito. Show terrytito's posts

well, tex makes half a million more per year, so his stats should be better.

btw, does anyone, besides me, find these annual salaries obscene?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

I am sure both the Red Sox and Yankee organizations are questioning their decisions having less than a full month of data as the basis for this.

Let's put this topic under a dustcover for a while until a better sample size can be assimulated.

Actually, since Teixiera already helped the Yankees to a championship and heats up with the weather...I doubt the Yankees are concerned about their investment at all.

Similarily, Gonzalez is still getting acclimated to playing on a new team and in the AL again so I bet the Red Sox have ZERO reservations about signing him, especially since they signing became official in the middle of his slumping.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan791. Show redsoxfan791's posts

In Response to getting what you pay for?????:
    [QUOTE]               Salary             P  G   AB   Ave.  HR   RBI   OBP   OPS Player A:  $22.5mil   1B   15   53    .224     6     16    .364   .949 Player B:  $22mil      1B   17   65    .277     1     8     .365   .780
    Posted by dustcover[/QUOTE]

It's April.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to getting what you pay for?????:
    [QUOTE]               Salary             P  G   AB   Ave.  HR   RBI   OBP   OPS Player A:  $22.5mil   1B   15   53    .224     6     16    .364   .949 Player B:  $22mil      1B   17   65    .277     1     8     .365   .780

Player A's first 17  games in his first year (2009) with his current team: 
    2 HR,  10 RBI, .206 BA, .743 OPS, 11 K.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

I love that a .780 OPS is considered a huge slump.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Closer A: 15 mil-    1 inning       4 hits  2 earned runs   blown save
    Closer B: 12 mil- 1.1 innings       2 hits  1 earned run       save

This makes as much sense as the original post.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Gonzalez's total salary cost to the Sox is 8 years 160 million, so a 20 million average salary.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

I can't believe this is even a post to discuss the season performance of a player in April!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: getting what you pay for?????:
    [QUOTE]Player A  last 3 yrs road OPS  .835 Player B  last 3 yrs road OPS  .989
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

thank you

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Very silly post. You realize Teixeira had very slow starts (considerably worse than the #s you posted for Gonzalez) in his first two years with the Yankees, right? If we're judging players by a couple weeks in April now, you would have fallen off the back of the Teixeira bandwagon two years ago.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]Im guessing player A is mark texiera and player B is adrian gonzalez. It makes you wonder, the FO would not sign tex for the same money essentially they gave adrian when tex would have only cost money and a draft pick where as gonzo cost 2 top prospects and a good prospect. Also tex had already played in the AL and is a switch hitter (ie more balanced line up)Not sure what kind of logic the FO uses. 
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE]

This could be the most ridiculous thing I have ever read.  You base your post on a comparison of two players after sixteen games.  So Jared Weaver must be the best pitcher in the history of the game...using your logic.

Here is Sandy Koufax game by game log in 1962

04-11-1962 * vs Reds 1 0 0 2.00 9.0 7 4 2 2 0 3 0 0 0 0
    04-15-1962 * vs Braves 0 1 0 3.52 6.1 7 8 4 5 1 3 0 0 0 0
    04-19-1962 * at Reds 1 0 0 3.52 7.2 9 7 3 3 0 3 0 0 0 0
    04-24-1962 * at Cubs 1 0 0 3.09 9.0 18 6 2 2 1 4 0 0 0 0

Here is Weaver's from this April

Apr 20 @ TEX W 4-1 9.0 6 1 1 0 0 8 6 18 119 32 79 W(5-0) - 1.23
    Apr 15 @ CHW W 4-3 7.0 4 3 2 1 0 4 7 14 104 27 63 W(4-0) - 1.30
    Apr 10 vs TOR W 3-1 7.2 4 1 1 0 4 15 2 9 125 30 78 W(3-0) - 0.87
    Apr 5 @ TB W 5-3 6.2 3 1 1 1 3 6 6 11 112 26 67 W(2-0) - 0.69

Yup, you are right, Weaver is a much better pitcher than Sandy.  The numbers tell me so.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]Closer A: 15 mil-    1 inning       4 hits  2 earned runs   blown save Closer B: 12 mil- 1.1 innings       2 hits  1 earned run       save This makes as much sense as the original post.
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

Closer A suks!  Whoever that is needs to be released now!  Closer B should be signed to a new contract now!Smile

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

Hfxsoxnut - On the day of signing, the Globe reported AGon's contract at 7yrs/$154 mil.  Who do you believe?

To all others, thanks for your responses.

I simply posted factual data with no conclusions.  Fishing here in the Gulf of late has been off somewhat, perhaps due to the changing tides.  So you might say, I was simply 'chumming' the water out of boredom. 

This was better than a school of Spanish mackeral hitting some live bait.  Hello!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

FWIW, due to Teixiera's notoriously slow starts, he worked out at Bobby Valentines complex in Stamford, CT a month before spring training, which he attributes to his better April numbers.  Also, gonzo hit off a tee for the first half of spring training.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasloco. Show losmediasloco's posts

The 7 yrs-$154 mil. is the xtension. 8 yrs. and $160 mil. is cost to the Red Sox for Ext. plus this year.

Dustcover at least admits that the OP is trolling and is amused at the bites that he got. Many who come here to troll refuse to be so candid.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan791. Show redsoxfan791's posts

[QUOTE]Hfxsoxnut - On the day of signing, the Globe reported AGon's contract at 7yrs/$154 mil.  Who do you believe? To all others, thanks for your responses. I simply posted factual data with no conclusions.  Fishing here in the Gulf of late has been off somewhat, perhaps due to the changing tides.  So you might say, I was simply 'chumming' the water out of boredom.  This was better than a school of Spanish mackeral hitting some live bait.  Hello!!

His contract doesn't start until 2012.  Hfx was including A-Gon's 2011 salary in the equation.  So while you're correct about the extension, it doesn't make sense to not include his 2011 salary since we're talking about 2011.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]Hfxsoxnut - On the day of signing, the Globe reported AGon's contract at 7yrs/$154 mil.  Who do you believe? To all others, thanks for your responses. I simply posted factual data with no conclusions.  Fishing here in the Gulf of late has been off somewhat, perhaps due to the changing tides.  So you might say, I was simply 'chumming' the water out of boredom.  This was better than a school of Spanish mackeral hitting some live bait.  Hello!!

Dusty...BTW, Gonzalez is only being paid $6million in 2011...so even with his current slump he is a relative bargain right now.

NUFCED (Enough Said).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: getting what you pay for????? : His contract doesn't start until 2012.  Hfx was including A-Gon's 2011 salary in the equation.  So while you're correct about the extension, it doesn't make sense to not include his 2011 salary since we're talking about 2011.
    Posted by redsoxfan791[/QUOTE]

You along with Hfx, Soxdog67, and losmediasloco are right on, absolutely correct, thanks for bringing me up to speed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

I'm going to watch these respective stats as the season progresses for these two first basemen.  It should prove interesting given the comparable salarys.

I'm certain you'll be just as intrigued  Wink as to which puts up the best numbers. So I'll happily post the ongoing stats periodically for your continued attention.
    Laughing

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kt888. Show kt888's posts

[QUOTE]The 7 yrs-$154 mil. is the xtension. 8 yrs. and $160 mil. is cost to the Red Sox for Ext. plus this year. Dustcover at least admits that the OP is trolling and is amused at the bites that he got. Many who come here to troll refuse to be so candid.
    Posted by losmediasloco[/QUOTE]

Plus three nice prospects.......

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: getting what you pay for????? : Plus three nice prospects.......
    Posted by kt888[/QUOTE]

Absolutely.  A very expensive acquisition to be sure.

Sections
Shortcuts