Giancarlo Stanton

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Re: Giancarlo Stanton

In response to ConanObrien's comment:

Stanton getting an MRI today on his shoudler.

Perhaps u pink hats will target Adam Jones now?

Shmehh... His left shoulder.

Let the negotiations continue! :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFredster. Show TheFredster's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Don't give up your day job. Draft picks can't be traded for a year after the draft, so you need to get your smell checked fixed. In addition, now that managment made the mistake and dumped 39 million on Shane, they don't need to trade the farm plus someone like Middlebrooks or Buchholz (because of the low cost on Stanton, the trade market would go that high at this point).

Loria will not want nor take 1 or 2 expensive, high profile players... look at his business model after you take some courses in reading comprehension (who suggested trading recent draft picks ?) and seek some counsel for your apparent low self esteem and low opinion of your self importance.

The Red Sox should wait out the Marlins and whoever they trade him to near the end of his arbitration CBA schedule, where they can decide if he's good enough for a big FA contract.

Right now, the plan should be to approach 2014 by moving Bogearts to 3rd and move Middlebrooks to 1st for 2014. That sounds familiar..  Iggy should be the starting SS, now, but certainly for 2014. Bradley should be the CF'er for 2014, and Shane is a dead trade asset so he's going to be the right fielder for 2014. Gomes is already under contract for 2014, so the Red Sox need to see if one of their farm RH slugging OF'ers emerges to take over LF, and if not they should platoon Gomes and someone similar to Nava until a better value emerges.

There are no "dead trade assets"... see Red Sox-Dodgers trade... Vernon Wells. Spend more time reading the sports pages and less reading your own copy

Why wait to see if someone on the farm can do the job when you might be able to make overtures using youngsters and major league filler to acquire a proven product?

Back when Ellsbury had years of arbitration left, this kind of deal would have been palatable. But it makes zero sense to pay what would be a premium trade price for a player that will not make the current construction any better than the better value options.

Bottom line, your sense of smell isn't working, and you are commenting to to a Board member who called the AGon trade, the Beltre audtion contract,  Santana to the Mets and Mauer extended by the Twins.   

If you like fantasy baseball, play the fantasy baseball on the thread that Burrito started. But if you want to talk about smelling a Stanton trade to the Red Sox, you'll need to do better than on specifics because of what amounts to a pipe dream.

Also, there is a poster on here who goes by "me- something", and he's falsely claimed this current Red Sox offensive lineup is one of the best in all of MLB. You need to touch base with him while you are wasting time on a pipe dream.

Welcome to the big leagues, when you post on the message boards that Softlaw posts on.

Do you have any other trades you smell?  

You seem to be proud of your "calls".... why don't you make one more call to get a seat in and Adult Ed course for Reading Comprehension??

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to emp9's comment:

In response to hill55's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

The Marlins dont want Gomes for 5M. Your giving up JBJ, Bogaerts, Barnes and a couple more for 3 years of stanton unless you agree to an extension before any deal is made.

+1

The Red Sox expendables won't land Giancarlo Stanton.

Yeah, Oakland 8-2 w/ our other expendables. 

So are you saying this makes players like Gomes and Nava more valuable as trade candidates?

They will want something from the Barnes / Bogaerts / Bradley set.  Probably two.

The Rangers could easily offer Profar and Olt.  You have to do better than that...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to notin's comment:

In response to hill55's comment:

The Marlins dont want Gomes for 5M. Your giving up JBJ, Bogaerts, Barnes and a couple more for 3 years of stanton unless you agree to an extension before any deal is made.

+1

The Red Sox expendables won't land Giancarlo Stanton.

Yeah, Oakland 8-2 w/ our other expendables. 

So are you saying this makes players like Gomes and Nava more valuable as trade candidates?

No, not per se. But the idea around here that expendable players have zero value is ridiculous. 

They will want something from the Barnes / Bogaerts / Bradley set.  Probably two.

Yes. Like I said previously. I think we have the pieces to make it happen. I just don't think it will. Still on the fence about it anyway. And yet there is always the surprise element because it borders the realm of possibility. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

I would never give up Barnes, Bradley and Bogy for Stanton.  That would probably be close to the asking price and one big rookie season doesn't make him worth giving up our future.  Middy is another who may not turn out as some expected so we need to keep as many of these young players as possible for now.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

I would never give up Barnes, Bradley and Bogy for Stanton.  That would probably be close to the asking price and one big rookie season doesn't make him worth giving up our future.  Middy is another who may not turn out as some expected so we need to keep as many of these young players as possible for now.

I agree, but in refusing to make a trade like this (assuming it was available) we're building for the future and hoping for the best this year and maybe next.  

That's a tradeoff I'm willing to make but many here aren't.

OTOH, I'd be willing to give up the two not named Bradley and one or two other prospects.  I see Bogy as being the most expendable of the bunch because he's the one who's 'blocked' by Iggy and Middy. And all of this would be contingent on signing Stanton to at least five years.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Stanton's power numbers in 3 yrs took Adam Jones 6 seasons to surpass. And Jones is a nice player. I suggest you take another look at Stanton's stats and maybe watch some video. There's a reason his name keeps coming up. The other reason is that Boston never has a chance to draft someone like him, so a trade is the only road to take. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFredster. Show TheFredster's posts

I like the back and forth conversation about this post. Stanton hasn't been offered yet, but Loria doesn't seem like the type of owner that wants to be saddled with an expensive payroll. I don't believe that he wants to carry the financial burden associated with chasing a playoff spot, much less a world Series. Stanton hasn't even been offered... yet... but he looks like a round peg in a square hole when looking at the roster and the Loria business model. IF that is the case, then the Sox have as much to offer as any team, and that does not include the better players mentioned often here, on the major league team or at AAA or AA. It would be silly to trade JBJ or any other high prospect for Stanton or any other bopper. But the Sox still have a lot of potential in the minors, and hope is what the Marlins have been selling for years. Loria is happy posing as a major league team using average or less talent, rather than buiding a long term winning franchise. And as long as the Astros run the same kind of program, the impotent Selig (8 games for Quentin..?) will do nothing to change things.

If all of this has any validity, then when Stanton gets dangled out there for the taking, the Sox have as many prospects as anybody, can throw in a few experienced players like Gomes or Lavarnway or Pedro Ciriaco (Frown)  or Nava (Frown) and some cash, without touching their top flight minor leaguers.

I like Middlebrooks, but the Sox have a slew of infielders which might permit moving him to 1st should he pan out at the plate. I really think that the Sox' days of chasing 27-29 yr. old, expensive, long term veteran free agent position players is on hold for a while.

.... but truth be told, this all came to me in a dream a few nights ago  Smile

.... or is it a nightmare?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Stanton's power numbers in 3 yrs took Adam Jones 6 seasons to surpass. And Jones is a nice player. I suggest you take another look at Stanton's stats and maybe watch some video. There's a reason his name keeps coming up. The other reason is that Boston never has a chance to draft someone like him, so a trade is the only road to take. 

They do this year

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Actually the Sox did have a chance to draft Stanton in 2007.  But they chose both Nick Hagadone and Ryan Dent over Stanton.

Of course, Stanton was taken 76th overall that year, so a lot of teams passed on him a few times...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Lolwut? He's been better every year he's been in the majors...

I wouldn't be too keen on emptying the farm system of top talent for one guy, no matter who it is, but no one can deny that Stanton is a special player.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Stanton is not a rookie.  He has over 2 years MLB experience and improved every year.   He is also only a few months older than Bradley, and much, much more accomplished.

It is very doubtful the Sox could get him without surrendering Bogaerts.  Although the name I would offer first is Middlebrooks, which wuld NEVER get ther job done alone.  But I would rather part with him than Bogaerts or Bradley...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

They do this year

This is true. If you want to wait it out. Stanton was 20. Not a long wait if he definitely IS THAT GUY. No guarantees Though. That pick happens what? Once every 2 decades for Boston? One chance to get it right. 

Personally, if I knew Lester & Buchholz would continue to be the 1-2 punch for another 3 years, I think I might Pull the trigger. Goes w/ out saying, if there was a trigger to be pulled That is. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

I have seen Stanton play enough to know he has put up good numbers, has a strong throwing arm, SO a lot and isn't a great defensive OF by any means even though hes still young.  Would he help our club?  Of course, we have little to no offense or power on this club at the moment but Giancarlo isn't exactly ripping the cover off the baseball so far this season either.

I'm all for grabbing a good young slugger but would still be reluctant to get a decent OF in return for a possible SP, CF and 3B or SS of the future until we see how guys like Iggy, Middy, Webster and De La Rosa progress.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

Crisp, Lowrie, Moss, and Reddick are on fire for the A's.  

The A's just swept the Angels.  Moss had a five-RBI game two nights ago.  

None of those other players deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Crisp.  Crisp is elite defensively at a defense first position.  He is the leader of that team.  

Lowrie is sub-par at SS, Reddick is batting .125, and has batted under .200 since the all-star break of last year, Moss is a platoon player who cant play the field.

I love experts like you! barf.... oh sorry excuse me.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

In response to TheFredster's comment:

I like the back and forth conversation about this post. Stanton hasn't been offered yet, but Loria doesn't seem like the type of owner that wants to be saddled with an expensive payroll. I don't believe that he wants to carry the financial burden associated with chasing a playoff spot, much less a world Series. Stanton hasn't even been offered... yet... but he looks like a round peg in a square hole when looking at the roster and the Loria business model. IF that is the case, then the Sox have as much to offer as any team, and that does not include the better players mentioned often here, on the major league team or at AAA or AA. It would be silly to trade JBJ or any other high prospect for Stanton or any other bopper. But the Sox still have a lot of potential in the minors, and hope is what the Marlins have been selling for years. Loria is happy posing as a major league team using average or less talent, rather than buiding a long term winning franchise. And as long as the Astros run the same kind of program, the impotent Selig (8 games for Quentin..?) will do nothing to change things.

If all of this has any validity, then when Stanton gets dangled out there for the taking, the Sox have as many prospects as anybody, can throw in a few experienced players like Gomes or Lavarnway or Pedro Ciriaco (Frown)  or Nava (Frown) and some cash, without touching their top flight minor leaguers.

I like Middlebrooks, but the Sox have a slew of infielders which might permit moving him to 1st should he pan out at the plate. I really think that the Sox' days of chasing 27-29 yr. old, expensive, long term veteran free agent position players is on hold for a while.

BTW a round peg can in fact fit in a square hole and a square peg can in fact fit in a round hole. You need to be more difinitive when you make such a silly statement. Just saying........it does depend on the size of the hole and the peg!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Like with all trades it takes two to tango...The Sox have the chips and the cash to make a very strong play for Stanton. The question then becomes are the Marlins interested in making a deal or not. My guess is that neither side has engaged in talks and likely won't. Stanton is under a team friendly contract, one that the Marlins today can afford. He's the only marketable player left on thier roster and for all of the talk about him, he's yet to put up huge numbers. In the end if and when he reaches the point where his value to the team is less than the moneys paid, he'll be playing in Miami. That's been Loria's MO for a decade.

The bigger question that MLB has to answewr is the viability of MLB and the state of Florida. While I get why the fans of the Marlin's chose not to support their team. the Ray's continue to stuggle to fill the seats dispite fielding one of the better teams in the game with an owner that's done everything right and continues to re-invest capital into the buissness with little to show for it? In Miami it's a completely different set of circumstances. My feeling is that to erase the mis-trust that has been fostered by the current ownership group. Who once again blew up a team that had promise, even after the community funded a new park. Clearly if MLB want's to keep them in Miami? The Marlin's need to be sold to a local investor who's rooted in the community or relocated to another city.

Trading Stanton to the Red Sox is the last thing that franchise needs and would serve to me as more of the same from an owner that's clearly not committed to winning....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to Promise4you2's comment:

BTW a round peg can in fact fit in a square hole and a square peg can in fact fit in a round hole. You need to be more difinitive when you make such a silly statement. Just saying........it does depend on the size of the hole and the peg!

If Ryan Braun ever became available I would offer/entertain almost any name the Sox had on the farm, along with players like Middlebrooks, Doubront, Salty, Nava and Ells.  The Brewers also have a lot of needs so before the first poster says they would never trade him?

Think about it and the fact anything can and has happened in the past with star players.  It all depends on the mindset of their management teams desire, or willingness to take a chance.  It's quite obvious the Brewers present and future success doesn't look very bright outside of a couple good looking prospects.

Ryan is the one marketable player that could change things for them and what a force he could be at Fenway.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

reports coming in that the Rangers are talking with Miami. no deal is expected to take place (the marlins would be dumb to make a move now without officially putting him on the market and watching the offers roll in) but the Rangers are just trying to get a feel of what they'd have to give up to land him. They are obviously trying to do it without giving up Profar (another reason why Softy is dumb to think that the Rangers would have given up Profar for Ells and Bailey). Any offer that doesn't include Profar should be easy enough to beat.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Wasn't a Manny-for-Stanton trade discussed between the RS and Marlins back in 2008?

Imagine if that had gone down.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

ya it was discussed but the marlins wouldnt bite. i think the sox could offer as good a package as anyone for stanton. we have lots of good prospects at different positions, something lots of teams dont have. we have 5 potential top of the rotation starters in webster, barnes, ranoudo, owens and de la rosa, lavarnway, swihart and vasquez at catcher, jbj, brentz and brandon jacobs in the outfield, iggy, marrero and boegarts at ss, checcini at 3B, i dont think there are many teams with that much to offer, plus we have bard who could be a potential closer for the marlins if he can rebuild his value in the minors. we have the prospects to get a deal done, no question. ben needs to work his magic at the deadline and get a deal done. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

someone mentioned braun above, another intriguing possibility, the brewers are struggling big time, their closer lost his job and now their ace got arressted for a DUI. the only thing with braun is the whole PED thing, but if the price we should definitely look into it. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Why the hell would the Marlins trade Stanton?  Their owner is a cheap as shole and Stanton is under team control for the next few years at a cheap price.  He is their only star power.  Their MO would be to trade him when he is closer to FA because they won't want to pay him.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Promise4you2's comment:

And how big a hammer you've got. Cool

Sections
Shortcuts