Gibson-esque

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Gibson-esque

What does Gibson, Koufax, J. Morris, & Carpenter all have in common?

They all pitched legendary Game 7s on short rest; in Gibson & Koufax's case, it was 2 days. Also, Carpenter was the oldest, and with arm problems in tow. Gritty stuff.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Re: Gibson-esque

In Response to Gibson-esque:
    What does Gibson, Koufax, J. Morris, & Carpenter all have in common? They all pitched legendary Game 7s on short rest; in Gibson & Koufax's case, it was 2 days. Also, Carpenter was the oldest, and with arm problems in tow. Gritty stuff.
    Posted by nhsteven

No doubt he was the difference last night after a rocky start...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from crmn19. Show crmn19's posts

I'll give you the gritty, short rest appearance, but the similarity to Gibson and Koufax stops there.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Carpenter was 4-0 in the postseason.  When people look back on it, his greatest performance was the 1-0 win over Halladay in Game 5 of the LDS.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Gibson-esque:
    I'll give you the gritty, short rest appearance, but the similarity to Gibson and Koufax stops there.
    Posted by crmn19

He's not those 2, but he's a former CYA winner with a great career, & his PS career record is off the charts, including 7-0 at home; and that 1-0 deciding Game win at Pha over Halladay; with a bad arm.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Re: Gibson-esque : his greatest performance was the 1-0 win over Halladay in Game 5 of the LDS. huge gm nut
    Posted by pinstripezac

6 full 2 runs allowed in a WS clinching 7th game, while not stuff of legend is worthy of praise "on short rest"...

His NLCS game 5 matchup with Halladay was no doubt an example of a big game pitcher, pitching big, in a big game...

Carpenter now has two rings in which he's led the staff and who knows what might have been had he been healthy in 2004...so while he ain't Gibson or Koufax his name is and his accomplisments are now in the conversation with Morris, Petitte and Schilling's...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: Gibson-esque : 6 full 2 runs allowed in a WS clinching 7th game, while not stuff of legend is worthy of praise "on short rest"... His NLCS game 5 matchup with Halladay was no doubt an example of a big game pitcher, pitching big, in a big game... Carpenter now has two rings in which he's led the staff and who knows what might have been had he been healthy in 2004...so while he ain't Gibson or Koufax his name is and his accomplisments are now in the conversation with Morris, Petitte and Schilling's...
    Posted by Beantowne

Yep, that was another of the many good breaks the Sox caught that year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Nothing can compare to what Jack Morris did in 91. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Forget 2004 for CC......If the Cards has Waignwright they run away w/ that thing......

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Nothing can compare to what Jack Morris did in 91. 
    Posted by andrewmitch

Morris pitched a 10-inning shutout in a deciding game.  That was awesome.  Carpenter pitched a 9-inning shutout in a deciding game.  That was pretty good too.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

When Wainwright went down, I thought the Cards had no shot.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Re: Gibson-esque : Morris pitched a 10-inning shutout in a deciding game.  That was awesome.  Carpenter pitched a 9-inning shutout in a deciding game.  That was pretty good too.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

WS vs ALDS? 

Morris was the best game I ever saw....

other mentionables:

Pedro G5 99 Relief appearance

Schilling in G6 04 ALCS

Beckett in G5 07 ALCS

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: Gibson-esque : WS vs ALDS?  Morris was the best game I ever saw.... other mentionables: Pedro G5 99 Relief appearance Schilling in G6 04 ALCS Beckett in G5 07 ALCS
    Posted by andrewmitch

Yeah, those were all great clutch performances.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

When Wainwright went down, I thought the Cards had no shot .
    Posted by moonslav59

Had Hansen and Jurrgens not gone down they likely would'nt have made the post season. In August when they were trailing by 10 games they had a 1% chance of making the postseason...the Braves like the Sox just ran out of gas, but to St. Louis credit they kept playing and today they sit atop the baseball world...

I'm not so much surprised they won it once in with a healthy Carpenter fronting the rotation along with a pretty deep bullpen and arguably the best 1-8 lineup in the NL. If I ever doubted Larussa and Duncan's candidacy for the HOF I'd have to think with his teams accomplishments this year and his 2006 squads neither of whom were thought of as serious contenders both winning the World Series that Larussa is a lock and I would ahve to think that Duncan will also one day be enshrind!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

How about a little praise for one of our own (note the 163 pitch game 4 win in the 1975 World Series); Carpenter reminded me of El Tiante, because he is older, dinged up, but still excellent when it mattered.

From Wikipedia:
    Though hampered by back problems in 1975, he won 18 games for the American League Champion Red Sox and then excelled for Boston in the postseason. In the playoffs he defeated the three time defending World Champion Oakland Athletics in a 7-1 three-hitter complete game, then opened the World Series against the Cincinnati Reds. His father and mother, having been allowed to visit from Cuba under a special visa, were in Fenway Park that game to watch their son defeat The Big Red Machine in a 6-0 five-hit shutout. All six Red Sox runs were scored in the seventh inning; Tiant led off that inning (the designated hitter was not yet in use in World Series play) with a base hit off Don Gullett and eventually scored on Carl Yastrzemski's single for the first of those six runs.

Tiant won Game 4 as well (throwing 163 pitches in his second complete game in the series) and had a no-decision in Game 6, which has been called the greatest game ever played, after Carlton Fisk’s dramatic game-winning walk-off home run in the 12th inning.

"You can talk about anybody else on that team (1975 Boston Red Sox) you want to, but when the chips are on the line, Luis Tiant is the greatest competitor I've ever seen." - Hall of Fame Pitcher Jim Palmer

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

How about a little praise for one of our own (note the 163 pitch game 4 win in the 1975 World Series); Carpenter reminded me of El Tiante, because he is older, dinged up, but still excellent when it mattered. From Wikipedia: Though hampered by back problems in 1975 , he won 18 games for the American League Champion Red Sox and then excelled for Boston in the postseason. In the playoffs he defeated the three time defending World Champion Oakland Athletics in a 7-1 three-hitter complete game, then opened the World Series against the Cincinnati Reds . His father and mother, having been allowed to visit from Cuba under a special visa, were in Fenway Park that game to watch their son defeat The Big Red Machine in a 6-0 five-hit shutout. All six Red Sox runs were scored in the seventh inning; Tiant led off that inning (the designated hitter was not yet in use in World Series play) with a base hit off Don Gullett and eventually scored on Carl Yastrzemski 's single for the first of those six runs. Tiant won Game 4 as well (throwing 163 pitches in his second complete game in the series) and had a no-decision in Game 6, which has been called the greatest game ever played, after Carlton Fisk ’s dramatic game-winning walk-off home run in the 12th inning. "You can talk about anybody else on that team (1975 Boston Red Sox) you want to, but when the chips are on the line, Luis Tiant is the greatest competitor I've ever seen." - Hall of Fame Pitcher Jim Palmer
    Posted by futbal

El Tiante is one of my alltime favorites and his 1978 season might have been his best he pitched with a bad wing the entire year...What precludes him from being in the conversation of the best post season pitchers, is sadly he never won a WS with the Sox...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Ironic that in a WS that saw a lot of hitting it all came down to pitching in the end.  I believe that given a 10 or 20 game series it would have ended in a tie between these two teams.  The difference in this WS goes all the way back to July and the AS game.
    Posted by traven

No the difference in this World series goes back to game 6 where the vaunted Texas bullpen imploded not once but twice. Something that they'll have to chew on for the entire offseason and if they fail to win one in the near term something that'll stay with them fortherest of their lives...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Ironic that in a WS that saw a lot of hitting it all came down to pitching in the end.  I believe that given a 10 or 20 game series it would have ended in a tie between these two teams.  The difference in this WS goes all the way back to July and the AS game.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

What I'd give to see another pitcher like Tiant.  Most likely won't happen in our lifetimes.......

Sections
Shortcuts