Give Byrd and Sweeney credit

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Give Byrd and Sweeney credit

Sweeney is a very good hitter against RHP as he showed again tonight against one of the best.  I also give Bryd a great deal of credit for solidifying CF as I predicted he might.  I finally feel comfortable with the team we have on the field and really hope this keeps are momentum going. 

Great win for the team and especially Jon Lester who pitched great.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Re: Give Byrd and Sweeney credit

Sweeney is almost at .400!!!

Byrd has played very well since putting on the Sox uni

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Sweeney hustled to turn that looper into a double. Fantastic effort. Otherwise, he doesn't score on Gonzalez's hit and we're still playing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Give Byrd and Sweeney credit:
    Sweeney hustled to turn that looper into a double. Fantastic effort. Otherwise, he doesn't score on Gonzalez's hit and we're still playing.
    Posted by LloydDobler

Having Ross and Sweeney along with Byrd can get us by until the guys are healthy and then give us a lot of depth if we can make the PS.  Great effort and very nice to be on the winning side of a 1 to 0 game. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Byrd has been a pleasant surprise to me, as I didn't forsee his offense being as solid as it's been.  I always believed he could play CF but didn't expect him to hit this well  He could be another pleasant problem to have when the other OF's get back.

And Sweeney...
    You just never know what you're going to get in a trade, do you?  At the time the trade was all about Baliey, and "Yeah, we'll throw in Sweeney too if you'll take him". 
    Now Sweeney's situation is reminding me of that of a certain gentleman who anchored 3rd base for the Sox for several years in that he was a throw-in in the Beckett deal.  And I don't even have to mention his name.  Everyone knows who he is.  :-)
    You just never know who you're going to pick up in a trade. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

Byrd has been a pleasant surprise to me, as I didn't forsee his offense being as solid as it's been.  I always believed he could play CF but didn't expect him to hit this well  He could be another pleasant problem to have when the other OF's get back. And Sweeney... You just never know what you're going to get in a trade, do you?  At the time the trade was all about Baliey, and "Yeah, we'll throw in Sweeney too if you'll take him".  Now Sweeney's situation is reminding me of that of a certain gentleman who anchored 3rd base for the Sox for several years in that he was a throw-in in the Beckett deal.  And I don't even have to mention his name.  Everyone knows who he is.  :-) You just never know who you're going to pick up in a trade. 
    Posted by S5

Byrd looks like he is getting comfy but his defense scares me. Sweeney is stroking the ball nicely. I often wondered why he doesn't show much power and have been studying his swing. All he does is put the ball in play, doens't swing hard, just puts the bat on the ball.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In Response to Re: Give Byrd and Sweeney credit : Byrd looks like he is getting comfy but his defense scares me. Sweeney is stroking the ball nicely. I often wondered why he doesn't show much power and have been studying his swing. All he does is put the ball in play, doens't swing hard, just puts the bat on the ball.
    Posted by harv53

Byrd - I agree, he appears to be a bit shaky at times.  I'm just not sure if we got so accustomed to watching Ells that we've made him the gold standard for OF's in Boston.  I saw Bryd go back on a ball and not get to it recently and said at the time that Ells would have caught that for fun!  Is that an indictment of Byrd, or is it a credit to Ells?

Sweeney - agreed again, but I like what he's doing.  He may not hit many monster home runs but he's making good, solid contact and hitting it where they ain't.  Isn't that what we tell players to do?  :-)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Give Byrd and Sweeney credit : Byrd looks like he is getting comfy but his defense scares me. Sweeney is stroking the ball nicely. I often wondered why he doesn't show much power and have been studying his swing. All he does is put the ball in play, doens't swing hard, just puts the bat on the ball.
    Posted by harv53

Sweeney reminds me a bit of Dave Magadan who never had much power but was a very dependable hitter.  I'm also not surprised by Bryd at all, the guy is capable of playing a more consistent role than DMac.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Alot of people have critcized Ben C when he added Ross and traded for Sweetney, but look at them, they are a far better OF's than Crawford and Kalish and Drew.  
    Since Ben C was a former scout guy, and he does know who are these players.  And also knew that he didnt have much money to spend.  He just did his homework and bring in cheap talent guys to be on the 25 man roster. 

I think I starting to think that Ben C is going to do a better job than Theo with the Cubs.  

During this off season is going to be an interesting one for Ben C. cuz he will have a huge chunk of money to spend on.  Hopefully Barnes, Middlebrook and Larvanway can soon be call up and give them a chance to show who are they.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Alot of people have critcized Ben C when he added Ross and traded for Sweetney, but look at them, they are a far better OF's than Crawford and Kalish and Drew.   Since Ben C was a former scout guy, and he does know who are these players.  And also knew that he didnt have much money to spend.  He just did his homework and bring in cheap talent guys to be on the 25 man roster.  I think I starting to think that Ben C is going to do a better job than Theo with the Cubs.   During this off season is going to be an interesting one for Ben C. cuz he will have a huge chunk of money to spend on.  Hopefully Barnes, Middlebrook and Larvanway can soon be call up and give them a chance to show who are they.
    Posted by GoUconn13

Hey Uconn, I was born and raised in CT, spent many years in the Boston area but now reside again in CT.  I love Barnes and agree he should be a solid major league starter but still two years away if we bring him along the correct way.  Lav and Middlebrooks may be here some "this season" and main stays next year.

With Sweeney, Ross and Byrd we finally have three capable OF's.  Ross kills lefties and Sweeney righties with Bryd just being that steady every day guy in CF until Ells returns.  Forget the Repko and DMacs, these are the guys that will complete our team when CC and Ells get healthy.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

Ross, Byrd, and Sweeney have all been breaths of fresh air when watching this ballclub. There's something about watching people play with heart.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Ross, Byrd, and Sweeney have all been breaths of fresh air when watching this ballclub. There's something about watching people play with heart.
    Posted by NUSoxFan

Exactly and thats what wins ballgames.  Just ask Tampa who never has the best team on paper outside of strong pitching yet the effort they recieve from unlikely sources always seems to keep them in the race.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

new blood was totally necessary after 2011...hopefully we will had iggy, middlebrooks, and lava soon to make the transformation complete

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

new blood was totally necessary after 2011...hopefully we will had iggy, middlebrooks, and lava soon to make the transformation complete
    Posted by georom4

The key to having a well balanced team depends on staying healthy and having the depth to sustain momentum through key injuries.  Having Ross, Sweeney and Bryd is something this team hasen't had in our OF for years.

If we can get some good pitching and stay healthy our team has the most depth in our division which could mean a great deal come PS.  I also feel our future may be brighter than the Yanks and as competitive to the Rays for years to come because of guys like Middlebrooks, Lav, Barnes and Iggy waiting in the wings to keep us young. 

Ben has done a good job replacing Ells and CC without waiting until its too late like Theo.  I don't think Ben will be the type who puts up with a lack of effort, or old age like in past years.

Sections
Shortcuts