Give Terry credit today

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Re: Give Terry credit today

In Response to Re: Give Terry credit today:
    In Response to Re: Give Terry credit today : My favorite has always been the Beatles, but on No. 2 I go back and forth between Pink Floyd and the Clash (as you might have guessed). You ever venture over to the music board? We have some cool discussions there.
    Posted by LloydDobler

Pink Floyd and the Clash?   Yikes!
    Laughing

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Give Terry credit today : My favorite has always been the Beatles, but on No. 2 I go back and forth between Pink Floyd and the Clash (as you might have guessed). You ever venture over to the music board? We have some cool discussions there.
    Posted by LloydDobler

No doubt Lloyd, I love the Sox but music ventures into a much more interesting area of discussion for me.  Send me the link pal and I will do my best to find the time to participate.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

In Response to Re: Give Terry credit today : That's not a fact.  That's called an opinion.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

Lol, it's a fact that, in my opinion, Francona is a managerial buffoon.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Give Terry credit today : Pink Floyd and the Clash?   Yikes!
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi

Kimmi, I have read some of your posts and have always been curious of your personality.  What type of music do you like if you don't mind me asking?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

In Response to Re: Give Terry credit today : Those who do not like Francona seem to have a hard time differentiating between fact and opinion.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi

Did hetchinspete?? not use the word "fact" when he was referring to Francona as the best manager?? I guess those who like him also have difficulty differentiating..
    And I neither like or dislike the man, I don't know him. I do know that he is not even a decent major league manager, in my opinion.Wink

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In Response to Re: Give Terry credit today : Kimmi, I have read some of your posts and have always been curious of your personality.  Don't worry, I'm not a nut case :) and you don't need to answer but what type of music do you like if you don't mind me asking?
    Posted by craze4sox

I don't mind you asking, and I don't mind answering, but I'm guessing you probably won't like my answer.  I think you can best classify my music preference as adult contemporary.  I mostly like the soft and mushy stuff. 

I don't like hard rock, punk, heavy metal, or hip hop / rap.  It gives me a headache.  

Elton John is my favorite artist.

I'm a sucker for a good ballad.   And I like American Idol. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In Response to Re: Give Terry credit today : Did hetchinspete?? not use the word "fact" when he was referring to Francona as the best manager?? 
    Posted by BOSOX1941

Well this is exactly what I'm talking about when I say you don't know the difference between fact and opinion.  Francona as the best manager is a fact.  Wink

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Many of the 1950s and 1960s music has lasted over the years as opposed to other decades. Am I wrong on this? It seems that much of the music after that had a short shelf life. Just go to a rummage sale or garage sale and see what was discarded.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: Give Terry credit today : No doubt Lloyd, I love the Sox but music ventures into a much more interesting area of discussion for me.  Send me the link pal and I will do my best to find the time to participate.
    Posted by craze4sox

Just click on "forums" at the top, and then go to "music." We're there!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Give Terry credit today : Just click on "forums" at the top, and then go to "music." We're there! Kimmie: Hell yeah!!!
    Posted by LloydDobler

Will do, sorry I'm a bit new to BDC

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: Give Terry credit today : Will do, sorry I'm a bit new to BDC
    Posted by craze4sox

No prob, always room for another Pink Floyd fan!
    Hey Kimmi, I like Elton, too. Saw him live a couple months ago and he was fantastic.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In Response to Re: Give Terry credit today : No prob, always room for another Pink Floyd fan! Hey Kimmi, I like Elton, too. Saw him live a couple months ago and he was fantastic.
    Posted by LloydDobler

Glad to hear you like Elton.  Most people do.  I haven't had the pleasure of seeing him in concert.

Pink Floyd makes me cringe.  {shudder}

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from -The-Babe-----------------. Show -The-Babe-----------------'s posts

In Response to Give Terry credit today:
    Terry did a great job today managing the staff.  He took Miller out before things got out of control in favor of Aceves who has been a great addition.  With Bard and Pap to follow, things worked out as they should.  I'm still on Millers side, with Bedard on board the rest of the season we should be fine.  Next season Miller could be right back in the rotation, he has what it takes if he can improve on location.  If Clay can make it back before the PS we have a very deep staff and better bullpen.
    Posted by craze4sox

Yes, amazing job today. No other manager in the game today would have pulled their rookie pitcher who was starting to scuffle and was over 105 pitches and handed the ball over to his 3 most reliable relievers to finish off the game. HOF maneuvering I tell ya.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In Response to Give Terry credit today : Yes, amazing job today. No other manager in the game today would have pulled their rookie pitcher who was starting to scuffle and was over 105 pitches and handed the ball over to his 3 most reliable relievers to finish off the game. HOF maneuvering I tell ya.
    Posted by -The-Babe-----------------

Hi Babe!

Be nice!

Francona is a very good manager, wouldn't you agree?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from -The-Babe-----------------. Show -The-Babe-----------------'s posts

In Response to Re: Give Terry credit today : Hi Babe! Be nice! Francona is a very good manager, wouldn't you agree?
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi

Hey kimmi. I think he manages the egos and the media very well. I don't see him do anything in game that significantly seperates him from alot of other managers in the game. I mean, really, it didn't take a Connie Mack or a John McGraw to figure out that miller needed to be pulled and then let your top 3 relievers finish the game. Pretty obvious stuff.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

For the record, if there is one, I think Francona is one of the best managers the Sox have had.  Yes, some of his moves, or lack thereof, raise my eyebrows sometimes, but for the most part I approve.

As much as this hurts me to say, I agree with Babe.  Kills me really.  But are we congratulating Francona for not blowing it?  If so, that's some pretty low expectations.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In Response to Re: Give Terry credit today : Hey kimmi. I think he manages the egos and the media very well. I don't see him do anything in game that significantly seperates him from alot of other managers in the game. I mean, really, it didn't take a Connie Mack or a John McGraw to figure out that miller needed to be pulled and then let your top 3 relievers finish the game. Pretty obvious stuff.
    Posted by -The-Babe-----------------

That's a very fair statement.

Do you see him do anything in a game that significantly separates him for other managers in a negative way.   Do you think he 'costs' the Red Sox as many games during the season as his critics say he does?  Is he making bad decisions a lot more frequently than other managers?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Let's frame this shout out for Tito slightly differently the. How many here would have pulled the hook on Miller much sooner?

Much of what Francona does is pretty boring. He doesn't force the issue most of the time on offense, letting the players make the opportunities rather than trading outs to force getting guys into scoring position for single runs. That can't always be easy to not try and force the action.

Similarly, letting pitchers work through rough spots to avoid pitching the bullpen into the ground may be the absence of action but it takes a great deal of discpline.

Now it wan't a brilliantly managed game but I bet a whole lot of arm chair managers would have done it very differently and may not have enjoyed the same result. And that IMO was the context the OP was created in, not a celebration of a brillant move just pointing out that the guy actually does know what he is doing.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxlaxer12. Show redsoxlaxer12's posts

He was at 106 pitches.
    Posted by chuchos

Pitch Counts are a crock of Sh-t and I HATE them. They are a crutch and an opt out for the pitchers and managers

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

In Response to Re: Give Terry credit today : Still a good move, as was removing Lackey the other night with two guys on and Aceves today after his first BB in favor of Bard.  This wasn't happening early on this season or years past.  Terry would tend to let these guys give up 7 runs before removing them. Very few ever give Terry credit, instead they tend to say it was the natural thing to do which isn't completely wrong.  Terry needs to do this more often than not.  His management is key to keeping us in every game possible and hope our pen and offense can take over. Loyalty doesn't win ball games
    Posted by craze4sox

Yes, certainly Tito could have left Lackey in to try for the 3rd out during a 6 run lead, but again, he was at 113 pitches, gave up 11 hits and there were 2 men on.  Would another manager have done it differently?

I am a Francona fan, by the way, I just don't think these examples are particularly noteworthy of great management.  More of not failing than anything else.

I'm guessing you mean that he's been adapting better at pitcher management than in the past.  This I agree with. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: Give Terry credit today : Pitch Counts are a crock of Sh-t and I HATE them. They are a crutch and an opt out for the pitchers and managers
    Posted by redsoxlaxer12
    Not entirely. They in many cases are predictive. One look at Pedro Martinez 2004 stats would have told Grady Little that but he let the NYY show it to him. Pitchers do tend to lose command if not velocity as the tire and for most that wall comes from 90-120 pitches. The game conditions make it somewhat variable but the stats back it up.

And there is the other half. These guys make a lot of money and limiting the wear and tear in any one outing increases the chances of their longevity for life of contract.

Nolan Ryan was pretty outspoken about pitch count but guess whose bullpen pitched the most innings in 2010 and who just made moves to add to relief pitchers?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Pete, don't take him seriously. He doesn't.
    Posted by Your-Echo

Thanks Echo.

Toomany trolls on this board these days. 

Pete

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In Response to Re: Give Terry credit today : Lol, it's a fact that, in my opinion, Francona is a managerial buffoon.
    Posted by BOSOX1941

BOSOX<

You're the Buffoon.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from -The-Babe-----------------. Show -The-Babe-----------------'s posts

In Response to Re: Give Terry credit today : That's a very fair statement. Do you see him do anything in a game that significantly separates him for other managers in a negative way.   Do you think he 'costs' the Red Sox as many games during the season as his critics say he does?  Is he making bad decisions a lot more frequently than other managers?
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi

Not really. Maybe the times where he does leave a starter in too long. Girardi is guilty of this too. Too many times they wait til a Burnett or a lackey get shelled for 7 runs before pulling them.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Why do people interact with BOSOX1941, best to put that anti-Francona troll on ignore. He's never gonna change his views. I like thinking about the look on his face when/if Francona goes to the Hall of Fame, one more World Series ring might do it.

Sections
Shortcuts