Glad this happened

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sjddaj. Show sjddaj's posts

Glad this happened

No, I am not a troll, but a life long Sox fan like many of you.

But, I am actually glad that the Sox fell a part like this.   Let's face it, there are obviously multiple problems concerning the Sox right now.  From the owner, right down to the guys who stocks the club house with refreshments.

If the Sox would have made the playoffs, maybe advanced 1 round, everything would have remained status quo.  The obvious problems would have remained.  We would have again gone into next season with guys out of shape, no team morale or leadership, and a bar tab on the club house wall.

Things had to be bought down to their lowest, to reveal the problems, so that they may be fixed.   It is unfortunate that Francona will no longer be with us who I have always supported.  But, if he was no longer able to control the issues in the clubhouse (for what ever reasons), changes had to be made.

So, I know it is tough.  But, try to look at this as a positive. 

At least "most" of you live in the Boston area and have each other to lean on.  Try going through this living in the Tampa Bay area.  Very tough.  But, only positives can come out of this.

Looking forward to a great, and obviously different, 2012 season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from athens7676. Show athens7676's posts

Re: Glad this happened

That is a nice..positive post SJDDAJ. Part of being a sports fan is the ups and downs...you seem to have a nice grasp on both. I enjoyed reading that very much.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

I don't want new ownership. I don't want a new GM. And I didn't even want a different Manager. But that's the case and I think the Sox should not take it lightly. A new manager that's maybe a little more disciplinary, but I don't really trust the Boston media or most media in general soo. For me a manager that likes to mix in more small ball, not ignore the speed that's on the team now. More bunts, more hit-and-runs, more steals, be more aggressive that way. I'm excited to see how this plays out. I'm assuming that's the first order of business ( in hiring a new manager ). As for the players we have and ones that we keep, I hope they have the attitude that "they have something to prove" for next year. Because they really do.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from athens7676. Show athens7676's posts

It seems to me that the Boston media (much like the Philly and NY media) have a massive effect on what happens with the local teams. The wroters seem to hold themselves up, as the keepers of some sacred flame (Shaugnessy & Lupica are the WORST) when in reality...they are writing about a kids game.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

The current days are a disaster and a lie.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I am not glad at all but I would take a missed play-offs in 2012 if it were because we were re-organizing the roster and getting players like Iglesias in their full-time.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

In Response to Re: Glad this happened:
    [QUOTE]I am not glad at all but I would take a missed play-offs in 2012 if it were because we were re-organizing the roster and getting players like Iglesias in their full-time.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]
    This is exactly where I am in terms of the Red Sox future. Very willing to do poorly in the win-loss columns for a few years to rebuild with youth that is dedicated to winning e.g. Royals. To me the first order of business is to dramatically restock the minor league system, without that, it is going to be more of the same going forward; third or fourth place with a bunch of high priced FA's who at their core really don't care about winning.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Glad this happened : This is exactly where I am in terms of the Red Sox future. Very willing to do poorly in the win-loss columns for a few years to rebuild with youth that is dedicated to winning e.g. Royals. To me the first order of business is to dramatically restock the minor league system, without that, it is going to be more of the same going forward; third or fourth place with a bunch of high priced FA's who at their core really don't care about winning.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor[/QUOTE]

Right now there's little in the way of major league ready prospects especially in the area of pitching.     The worse thing that can happen is to rush prospects.    Let them develop and slowly eliminate the high priced free agents.
    The only question is whether John Henry has the patience or does he want instant winners every year ?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

With the way salaries are structured, there is no incentive to play well once players are making millions.
    Salaries should be based on longevity, with bonuses paid for superior performance; much like it is in any other private sector enterprise.
    I think what a lot of people forget, particularly the players and ownership/management, is that without the fans, there would be no baseball. So in essence, they play for us.
    Collective bargaining and free agency has made MLB entitlement driven.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ToshUK. Show ToshUK's posts

The players will have to sholder their fair share of the blame for this.

Whether Francona failed to motivate them properly, or whether he was tactically naive needs to be established.

At Liverpool we had a manager last season by the name of Roy Hodgson. Hodgson was completly out of his depth at our club both tactically and in his representation in front of the media.

After NESV took us over, we all hoped that they would dismiss Hodgson immediately. However, they perservered but in the end they could see his incompetence for themselves.

The Red Sox season is being discussed on our forum. Try having a look by clicking the link below.

http://forums.thisisanfield.com/showthread.php?29884-Epic-Fail-Why-Liverpool-could-be-the-least-of-John-W-Henry-and-FSG-s-concerns/page3

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

Forums  »  Sports  »  Red Sox: On the front burner  »  THIS is just what the DOCTOR ordered for the RED SOX

THIS is just what the DOCTOR ordered for the RED SOX

posted at 9/29/2011 9:44 AM EDT
    First: 8/13/2009
    Last: 10/4/2011
    Yes, this is just what the new yankee RED SOX needed. An eye opening jolt. A real wake up call. Only the Yankees(who do it best) can buy championships. And I mean that in the nicest way(to all you yankee posters on here). The SOX have no business trying to become the Yankees. In doing so they are paying the ultimate price: failure. All that 'susposed' talent buying has bitten them in the ars over the past serveral years. It is time to do some house cleaning. Time to get back that blue collar grit. The Sox are best when they find those great hidden gems(Pedroias, Ellsburys and Youks of the baseball world). Entitlement. That is the problem. This organization got too worried about selling the product instead of producing a winning team. A team with hunger. A team willing to lay it on the line every night from game one to game 162. The Red Sox have changed over the past few years and not for the better. So, maybe this is just what they needed to get back to that winning formula. The offseason looks to be very interesting indeed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zuverink. Show zuverink's posts

Trade Crawford for Jason Werth----we need a RF

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

[QUOTE]Trade Crawford for Jason Werth----we need a RF
    Posted by zuverink[/QUOTE]

No thanks.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Time4Theo2Go. Show Time4Theo2Go's posts

Half the players on the Detroit Tigers 2011 playoff roster should be playing for the Red Sox. Detroit was looking to unload Cabrera, Fister and Delmon Young were also in-season acquisitions.

We know what happened with VMart.

I'd be glad this happened if Theo Epstein were gone and Francona had a chance to manage the Sox without the boy blunder's thumb on his head.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hambonawilliams. Show hambonawilliams's posts

Just dump all the drunken fat swine on this team....all of them...Tek, Youk, Big Fat gut Fat mouth Papi included...clean the swamp...I don't care how many games they win next year, just get rid of all the selfish pigs

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]Trade Crawford for Jason Werth----we need a RF
    Posted by zuverink[/QUOTE]

Nah baa baa nah. Crawford is going to go back to what his baseball card says he is next year, and these same fans are going to be saying what a great deal it was. Remember Lowell back in 2006? My point exactly.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ToshUK. Show ToshUK's posts

Go Crawford!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Yes, the collapse uncovered the warts.  Of course, they are warts because of the collapse.  Had they won, the warts would have been considered personality quirks. 

Had Buch not gone down, they would have made the post season without a doubt. Had Theo picked up a qiality starter after Dice-K went down, they would have made the post season. 

So many "if onlys".  So many missed chances.  If only one had been taken then  none of the warts would have been seen.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Glad this happened : This is exactly where I am in terms of the Red Sox future. Very willing to do poorly in the win-loss columns for a few years to rebuild with youth that is dedicated to winning e.g. Royals. To me the first order of business is to dramatically restock the minor league system, without that, it is going to be more of the same going forward; third or fourth place with a bunch of high priced FA's who at their core really don't care about winning.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor[/QUOTE]

Isn't this EXACTLY the issue that drove Theo out the door in a gorilla suit?  IIRC Theo wanted to tell the fans that there were some rebuilding years in the near future while Lucchino wanted to build a team around free agents.

IMO Theo has done an excellent job of both keeping the team competitive and at the same time rebuilding the farm system.  Only time will tell if this pays off, but it does seem to me that Theo has done a remarkable job of being true to both his own beliefs AND those of Luccino (who may or may not be a mouthpiece for JH)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Time4Theo2Go. Show Time4Theo2Go's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Glad this happened : Isn't this EXACTLY the issue that drove Theo out the door in a gorilla suit?  IIRC Theo wanted to tell the fans that there were some rebuilding years in the near future while Lucchino wanted to build a team around free agents.   IMO Theo has done an excellent job of both keeping the team competitive and at the same time rebuilding the farm system.  Only time will tell if this pays off, but it does seem to me that Theo has done a remarkable job of being true to both his own beliefs AND those of Luccino (who may or may not be a mouthpiece for JH)
    Posted by S5[/QUOTE]

What drove Theo out in the gorilla suit was Theo's temper tantrum. Lucchino had to step in and clean up Theo's mess after Epstein gutted the 2004 WS team that could have repeated in 2005.  Theo never got over that.

The more control Epstein gets over the Red Sox, the farther in the rear view mirror the Sox World Series title runs get.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

The idea of the Red Sox struggling the next year or two is going to be much harder than most are willing to admit.  The ownership is what stinks along with the pampered over paid players.  The whole Red Sox nation thing sunk this team several years ago.

Sections
Shortcuts