Globe - Red Sox 'Keep Him' or Let Him Go' Poll

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Globe - Red Sox 'Keep Him' or Let Him Go' Poll

Early returns, but the results of the Globe Keep Him or Let him go poll with about 16,000 votes in:

From highest to lowest:

Aceves  96% Keep
    Salty     90% Keep
    Morales  83% Keep
    Aviles    75%  Keep
    Ortiz      71% Keep
    Papelbon 66% Keep
    Albers    54% Keep
    Lowrie    56%  Go
    Hill         59%  Go
    Bedard    63%  Go
    Varitek    63%  Go
    Miller       66%  Go
    Wake      71%  Go
    Jackson   75%  Go
    Drew       97%  Go

Unfortunately, they only did free agents. If Lackey was part of the poll, I'm guessing he would have been 98%+. I'm also surprised at Bedard being so low.
    I would put him at 90% 'Let Him Go'.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3992292. Show user_3992292's posts

Re: Globe - Red Sox 'Keep Him' or Let Him Go' Poll

I like the poll and agreed with the votes.  But in someway, there may be some Yankees fans being involved in this voting where it change the percentage.

All the players that have been highly voted to be let go, I hope they all do!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Globe - Red Sox 'Keep Him' or Let Him Go' Poll:
    [QUOTE]Early returns, but the results of the Globe Keep Him or Let him go poll with about 16,000 votes in: From highest to lowest: Aceves  96% Keep Salty     90% Keep Morales  83% Keep Aviles    75%  Keep Ortiz      71% Keep Papelbon 66% Keep Albers    54% Keep Lowrie    56%  Go Hill         59%  Go Bedard    63%  Go Varitek    63%  Go Miller       66%  Go Wake      71%  Go Jackson   75%  Go Drew       97%  Go Unfortunately, they only did free agents. If Lackey was part of the poll, I'm guessing he would have been 98%+. I'm also surprised at Bedard being so low. I would put him at 90% 'Let Him Go'.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

The poll shows people recognize the changes that need to be made for this club to get better.  I agree

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

moon - 29% of the people out there see value in bringing back a 7th emergency starter, which is comical. You have company.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I was stunned with Albers. I though that would be at least 70-30 "let him go."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

Who are the 3% that think Drew needs to come back?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: Globe - Red Sox 'Keep Him' or Let Him Go' Poll:
    [QUOTE]Who are the 3% that think Drew needs to come back?
    Posted by Roadrunner9234[/QUOTE]
    Yankee fans messin' with us.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Keep Bedard (better than average pitcher) let go Albers (average or worse pitcher)--don't understand why the results say the opposite, makes no sense to me, though I'm aware of Bedard's medical history, still . . .

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc25. Show tc25's posts

[QUOTE]I was stunned with Albers. I though that would be at least 70-30 "let him go."
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]
    If Albers gets  in shape & looses 25-30 LBS he would be a good pitcher next year
    just think he was overweight & out of shape

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeftyGrove. Show LeftyGrove's posts

JD, His agent, his extended family

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Albers won't be a top flight reliever, but as a mop up guy, you could do far worse. Since they have his rights, and he'll be cheap, there is no need to dump him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Nice to see so many Red Sox fans finally want Wastefield and Varitek gone.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

bring back tek. diminished role. catching about 50 games, take off the C. have him be a veteran leader but not THE veteran leader. thats pedey

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Very good list and I agree with most of the votes.  I also believe that Varitek should come back.  I still think he would be a good coach.  I also want Wakefield to retire and not return to the Red Sox. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from westcoastsox9. Show westcoastsox9's posts

Trolls and yanqee fans!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

I  still think it is time to let Ortiz go. He is slower than slow. Makes poor decisions on the basepaths. He can't play the field. He is one dimensional. His heroic days are over. Sure, his average was nice this year. But he has not been that game changer he was a few years back. I find it hard to believe we can't replace his bat in the lineup with a player who can relieve position players perpahs as well. Or at least a guy who can run out all plays to first base. I love big Papi, and what he has done for the Sox in the past, but I think his time has passed. The Sox need to shake up this roster. Time to do a little house cleaning. Look what happened when Sox got rid of Nomar........

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjnmjn. Show mjnmjn's posts

To be honest, at this point I would keep Pedroia, Aceves, Scutaro, and Ellsbury. I would let the others walk that are eligible to walk,  and entertain offers for anyone on the team except the four I mentioned. Even if the Sox have to eat the money, it will get everyones attention if they moved a few of these prima donnas. I have been an Theo supporter for a long time, but it is time for him to go, and for the team to get hungry again. The Yankees get older, but never lose their desire. The Sox got fat and lazy. Time to move on.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]To be honest, at this point I would keep Pedroia, Aceves, Scutaro, and Ellsbury. I would let the others walk that are eligible to walk,  and entertain offers for anyone on the team except the four I mentioned. Even if the Sox have to eat the money, it will get everyones attention if they moved a few of these prima donnas. I have been an Theo supporter for a long time, but it is time for him to go, and for the team to get hungry again. The Yankees get older, but never lose their desire. The Sox got fat and lazy. Time to move on.
    Posted by mjnmjn[/QUOTE]

I agree that it would be great to see many of the players traded, but it is unrealistic to think this could happen. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

On paper, this team was one of the best. For a while they were really, really good...and then it all fell apart. But they are still really, really good on paper so the kind of wholesale changes people are suggesting defy logic. I think a few need to go(Lackey, Drew, ect), but the team can be successful if left largely intact. The factors that lead to the collapse need to be addressed, but that does not mean the team has to be blown apart.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

[QUOTE]I  still think it is time to let Ortiz go. He is slower than slow. Makes poor decisions on the basepaths. He can't play the field. He is one dimensional. His heroic days are over. Sure, his average was nice this year. But he has not been that game changer he was a few years back. I find it hard to believe we can't replace his bat in the lineup with a player who can relieve position players perpahs as well. Or at least a guy who can run out all plays to first base. I love big Papi, and what he has done for the Sox in the past, but I think his time has passed. The Sox need to shake up this roster. Time to do a little house cleaning. Look what happened when Sox got rid of Nomar........
    Posted by antiqueman1[/QUOTE]

I agree on Ortiz.    This team can't live on "yesterdays".     He's of the age (36) where he could decline rapidly.      If the team wants him around, offer a 1 year deal and no more.     He'll soon find out that teams in the AL no longer pay big money for one dimensional players with fading skills. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

[QUOTE]On paper, this team was one of the best. For a while they were really, really good...and then it all fell apart. But they are still really, really good on paper so the kind of wholesale changes people are suggesting defy logic. I think a few need to go(Lackey, Drew, ect), but the team can be successful if left largely intact. The factors that lead to the collapse need to be addressed, but that does not mean the team has to be blown apart.

I wipe my tush with paper.

The teams that do more with less realize there is more to putting agood team together than paper see Tampa Bay. If you go safe you will compete with a lot of others who do it safe, which drives up the salary.

If you actually can get some real talent experts who can see if a player is good before they run up 3-9 seasons of numbers then you can fill a team of better players for less money.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Globe - Red Sox 'Keep Him' or Let Him Go' Poll : I wipe my tush with paper. The teams that do more with less realize there is more to putting agood team together than paper see Tampa Bay. If you go safe you will compete with a lot of others who do it safe, which drives up the salary. If you actually can get some real talent experts who can see if a player is good before they run up 3-9 seasons of numbers then you can fill a team of better players for less money.
    Posted by patsbandwagonsince76[/QUOTE]

Teams that do more with less do so because they have to.

Are you saying you don't think the 2011 team had the talent to win it all?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Who are the ninety per cent who want to keep Saltamacchia? This poll is flawed.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

[QUOTE]To be honest, at this point I would keep Pedroia, Aceves, Scutaro, and Ellsbury. I would let the others walk that are eligible to walk,  and entertain offers for anyone on the team except the four I mentioned. Even if the Sox have to eat the money, it will get everyones attention if they moved a few of these prima donnas. I have been an Theo supporter for a long time, but it is time for him to go, and for the team to get hungry again. The Yankees get older, but never lose their desire. The Sox got fat and lazy. Time to move on.
    Posted by mjnmjn[/QUOTE]

I could not agree more with you thoughts mj. It is time to clean house, get rid of the dead weight. The overpaid under-achievers. Time to bring the hunger back. And it must start with the Sox brass though. Stop trying to be the Yankees clone. Stop trying to buy championships like the team that does it best. It does not work for the Sox. Go back to what made many become fans: hard workers who want to play the game day in and day out.

Sections
Shortcuts