Globe - Red Sox 'Keep Him' or Let Him Go' Poll

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Re: Globe - Red Sox 'Keep Him' or Let Him Go' Poll

In Response to Re: Globe - Red Sox 'Keep Him' or Let Him Go' Poll:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Globe - Red Sox 'Keep Him' or Let Him Go' Poll : Teams that do more with less do so because they have to. Are you saying you don't think the 2011 team had the talent to win it all?
    Posted by Roadrunner9234[/QUOTE]

I couldn't resist the paper comment...didn't mean to critisize you because you are correct they did have the talent on paper to win it all with the caveat... if all the players were at their average level over the past 2 years and there were an average amount of injuries on the club. I just wanted to point out that paper is based on past performance and if players are in decline or injury prone you might get quite a bit different than predicted.

I am also saying the sox overpay for their talent becasue they sign players who have already proven themsleves on other teams based on years of work. So they sign players who are expensive and in decline or perhaps have durability issues only known to the current club they are with.

I know I am being a backseat driver but if I ran the club I would put my effort into hiring the best talent evaluators I could and pay them 1.5x the going rate.
    Then develop minor league talent with the intention of bringing them up instead of using them as barganing chips for overpriced vets which in all fairness the Sox do some but witht he resources they have should weigh this more heavily.

So I take the position that teams like Detroit, Milw, and TB are good not based on luck but based on the what they have done and who is making the decisions. For TB they have done it right for 5-6 years now. Since the red sox have more resources why not copy what those teams do plus spend for a couple middle career players like Gonzo.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Globe - Red Sox 'Keep Him' or Let Him Go' Poll : I could not agree more with you thoughts mj. It is time to clean house, get rid of the dead weight. The overpaid under-achievers. Time to bring the hunger back. And it must start with the Sox brass though. Stop trying to be the Yankees clone. Stop trying to buy championships like the team that does it best. It does not work for the Sox. Go back to what made many become fans: hard workers who want to play the game day in and day out.
    Posted by antiqueman1[/QUOTE]

agree

Intangibles..not just numbers.

Also, veteran players in the clubhouse are great but not too many please the young players are mostly the workhorses and also hold up better for the 160 game season. Didn't see Posada as a plus for the Yanks this year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Globe - Red Sox 'Keep Him' or Let Him Go' Poll : I couldn't resist the paper comment...didn't mean to critisize you because you are correct they did have the talent on paper to win it all with the caveat... if all the players were at their average level over the past 2 years and there were an average amount of injuries on the club. I just wanted to point out that paper is based on past performance and if players are in decline or injury prone you might get quite a bit different than predicted. I am also saying the sox overpay for their talent becasue they sign players who have already proven themsleves on other teams based on years of work. So they sign players who are expensive and in decline or perhaps have durability issues only known to the current club they are with. I know I am being a backseat driver but if I ran the club I would put my effort into hiring the best talent evaluators I could and pay them 1.5x the going rate. Then develop minor league talent with the intention of bringing them up instead of using them as barganing chips for overpriced vets which in all fairness the Sox do some but witht he resources they have should weigh this more heavily. So I take the position that teams like Detroit, Milw, and TB are good not based on luck but based on the what they have done and who is making the decisions. For TB they have done it right for 5-6 years now. Since the red sox have more resources why not copy what those teams do plus spend for a couple middle career players like Gonzo.
    Posted by patsbandwagonsince76[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. I said on paper knowing they still have to play 162 games between the white lines.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]Keep Bedard (better than average pitcher) let go Albers (average or worse pitcher)--don't understand why the results say the opposite, makes no sense to me, though I'm aware of Bedard's medical history, still . . .
    Posted by soxnewmex[/QUOTE]
    Would Erik Bedard want to return to the Red Sox after witnessing a historic collapse during his two months in Boston?

Maybe so ... if the clubhouse bar remains open.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Bedard "better than average". We were lucky to get 3 decent innings out of Bedard and he is a guy with a history of time spent on the DL. He looked like he was on lithium or something.