Gloom and Doom

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Gloom and Doom

OK, I admit.  I react strongly to early season stuff, even spring training stuff. 

Yesterday I looked at the AL team stats and saw the Sox have the lowest ERA in the AL,  but also one of the lowest team OPS's.  So back of the envelope is--no hit, good pitch.  Pretty normal for spring training except the good pitching.  Four starters--Lester, Buchholz, Dempster, and Doubront--have good to very good ERA's so far.  OVerall, not bad. 

Then I monitor today's Orioles game--you know, a pretty good team these days and one that has owned the Sox.  Both teams with real starters and real lineups because April is less than two weeks away.  What happens?  Dempster the $14M/year acquisition gets pounded in the 3d inning for three runs.  And in the bottom of the 3d the Sox have men on 1st and 3d with one man out and the #2 (Victorino) and #3 (Pedroia) coming up against Matusz.  Vic pops up, and Dustin strikes out.  Methinks a harbinger. 

By all means, tell me to go pound sand. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Gloom and Doom

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

OK, I admit.  I react strongly to early season stuff, even spring training stuff. 

Yesterday I looked at the AL team stats and saw the Sox have the lowest ERA in the AL,  but also one of the lowest team OPS's.  So back of the envelope is--no hit, good pitch.  Pretty normal for spring training except the good pitching.  Four starters--Lester, Buchholz, Dempster, and Doubront--have good to very good ERA's so far.  OVerall, not bad. 

Then I monitor today's Orioles game--you know, a pretty good team these days and one that has owned the Sox.  Both teams with real starters and real lineups because April is less than two weeks away.  What happens?  Dempster the $14M/year acquisition gets pounded in the 3d inning for three runs.  And in the bottom of the 3d the Sox have men on 1st and 3d with one man out and the #2 (Victorino) and #3 (Pedroia) coming up against Matusz.  Vic pops up, and Dustin strikes out.  Methinks a harbinger. 

Yes, could be a harbinger.  

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

So then Bard, who had gone 5 innings so far without giving up any runs, comes out and gets nicked for three, including two hits, a walk, a HBP, and a balk.  Like he is right back into last year with all those evil demons that devoured him. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Its Spring Training! Look I'm impressed w/ what RS pitchers are doing in FL. But do I expect them to have the lowest era in the AL this year - NO. But hopefully they won't throw up a 5+ era from the starters either.

As for the hitters, if a batter is succesfull 30% of the time w/ runners in scoring position then he's having a good season w/ runners in scoring position, which also means he's going to fail 70% of the time. Can we really be upset if a player doesn't drive in a runner every time one is in scoring position?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

The problem with this post is you make it sound like Dempster had a lousy outing. He gave up the three runs in the third inning, but that was it. He bounced back in the fourth and fifth and had thrown just 73 pitches, meaning he could have pitched another inning or two had it been the regular season. It's ridiculous to think that a pitcher won't ever have a bad inning. It's more important how they bounce back after the bad inning.

And you failed to mention how the Sox rallied to tie the score.

And as for Bard, while I'm not necessarily optimistic of him bouncing back, from what I heard, a callous broke on his pitching hand at the start of his outing, so I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt for this outing.

It's fine if you're going to point out the negatives, but at least tell the full story.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

So we're talking about two ABs and one IP.  How do you people make it through the day without heart attacks?  This is like saying the train is not here, and it was due a minute ago.  What if the train is never showing up again.  I'll have to get a new job and move.  And if I get a new job, and don't insurance immediately, and if I get sick, I'll go bankrupt and have to live in the streets.

Maybe Pedey will get a hit tomorrow and you can go buy WS tickets.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I'm still trying to figure out if max is being sarcastic or not.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurrittoT. Show BurrittoT's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

I'm still trying to figure out if max is being sarcastic or not.

ConanObrien is that you?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

So we're talking about two ABs and one IP.  How do you people make it through the day without heart attacks?  This is like saying the train is not here, and it was due a minute ago.  What if the train is never showing up again.  I'll have to get a new job and move.  And if I get a new job, and don't insurance immediately, and if I get sick, I'll go bankrupt and have to live in the streets.

Maybe Pedey will get a hit tomorrow and you can go buy WS tickets.

LMFAO -- great post.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Maxbialystock was being Maxbialystock, meaning he suggested the Red Sox would perform poorly, when to his surprise and chagrin, the Red Sox win the World Series and he will have to serve time for incurring gambling debts for betting against them and starting this thread. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

The problem with this post is you make it sound like Dempster had a lousy outing. He gave up the three runs in the third inning, but that was it. He bounced back in the fourth and fifth and had thrown just 73 pitches, meaning he could have pitched another inning or two had it been the regular season. It's ridiculous to think that a pitcher won't ever have a bad inning. It's more important how they bounce back after the bad inning.

And as for Bard, while I'm not necessarily optimistic of him bouncing back, from what I heard, a callous broke on his pitching hand at the start of his outing, so I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt for this outing.

It's fine if you're going to point out the negatives, but at least tell the full story.

Thanks for the full story.  True, Dempster did bounce back, which he himself noted after the game. 

I discount the late rally because those runs came from guys who aren't going to be on the 25 man roster when the season starts.

Good point about Bard's callous, etc, which I was unaware of when I posted. 

I really have no defense for the OP other than being pessimistic about the season. 

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

Thanks for the full story.  True, Dempster did bounce back, which he himself noted after the game. 

I discount the late rally because those runs came from guys who aren't going to be on the 25 man roster when the season starts.

Good point about Bard's callous, etc, which I was unaware of when I posted. 

I really have no defense for the OP other than being pessimistic about the season. 

I don't care what moves a team makes or don't make or any other issues of an offseason. I always try to stay positive during spring training. It doesn't mean I'm not aware of potential problems, but you never know what's going to happen good or bad, so I'll stay positive as long as possible.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I can't resist dragging this back up because I really liked last night's win and today's loss.  Last night Lackey pitched well and I watched in lieu of march madness, and today Aceves also pitched well.  Both starts were against bonafide lineups.  So a little sunshine amidst the gloom and doom.  I still think the lineup stinks, but definitely hope I'm wrong about that. 

Meanwhile, Peter Abraham and others have pointed out that my gloom and doom is reflected in ticket sales (or lack thereof) by the Sox faithful and declining viewership on NESN. 

The Sox have had 10-20 years of a renaissance---playing competitive ball just about every year--but I go back to 1949 and following when that didn't happen very often.  I had an uncle who was a Sox fan for over 70 years but did not live to see the 2004 WS title, so I come by pessimism honestly. 

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I care.  And I'd rather write about what is actually happening in 2013 spring training than about a zillion hypotheticals.  See, for example, moonslav's endless thread on a team and lineup the Sox don't and won't have. 

It's only spring training, granted, but so far two things stand out.  The starting pitching looks about as good as I can remember.  And the lineup looks pretty weak.  Just two years ago the Sox lineup included five (Youk, Pedroia, AGon, Ellsbury, Ortiz) of the top ten OPS's in the American League.  This year, it's hard to see anyone being on that list even though three are still on the roster. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from einrac. Show einrac's posts

If Bradley is sent down because of service time, then the fans should be very upset.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I can't resist dragging this back up because I really liked last night's win and today's loss.  Last night Lackey pitched well and I watched in lieu of march madness, and today Aceves also pitched well.  Both starts were against bonafide lineups.  So a little sunshine amidst the gloom and doom.  I still think the lineup stinks, but definitely hope I'm wrong about that. 

Meanwhile, Peter Abraham and others have pointed out that my gloom and doom is reflected in ticket sales (or lack thereof) by the Sox faithful and declining viewership on NESN. 

The Sox have had 10-20 years of a renaissance---playing competitive ball just about every year--but I go back to 1949 and following when that didn't happen very often.  I had an uncle who was a Sox fan for over 70 years but did not live to see the 2004 WS title, so I come by pessimism honestly. 

I was in the 8 years old when the Red Sox lost AL East title by a half game to the Tigers in 1972 when Luis Aparcio fell rounding third. So I was initiated a young age of heartbreak and lived through all the disappointments -- Game 7 of 1975, the holdouts of 1976, Fergie Jenkins flopping in Boston, '77, '78, the Fisk contract fiasco, the Lynn trade, Haywood Sullivan's ineptitude, Game 6 of '86, the '88 and '90, the boring teams of the early '90s etc.

So pessimism over the Sox is in my DNA. But unlike some fans -- and I'm not saying you're one of them -- who seem to only be happy when they're miserable, I refuse to be dragged down and carry a pessmistic attitude 24/7.

So in the spring, especially, I always remain optimistic. Early in the season -- barring a truly wretch start -- I always try to stay positive. I'm never blind to the pitfalls that could happen, but I'd rather keep a happy positive attitude as long as possible. It's just a nicer way to go through life.

I do get pssed when the lose and when players underachieve. But I don't let that rule my life and attitude. In the end, it's just sports.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from einrac. Show einrac's posts

Bard strikes out Rasmus on 2-2 fastball to end the inning. Sox over Jays 14-6 thru 7 Gm 5 ALCS in Fenway Park.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from einrac. Show einrac's posts

Everyone is crediting Ben for allowing Jackie Bradley Jr to  start the big league squad on April 1. This allowed him to trade Ellsbury by the deadline. The Ellsbury/Lackey trade to the Dodgers was brilliant.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from einrac. Show einrac's posts

Reds have made their decision, and Chapman is headed to the bullpen. Too bad Ben tried to make Bard a starter.

Sections
Shortcuts