GM fiddles while Rome burns

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PressBias. Show PressBias's posts

GM fiddles while Rome burns

The stupidity of the GM, the brain dead Boston columnists and absentee owners (they seem lost, no?) amazes one. We finish last and Toronto is eating our lunch in the off season - making the moves that we needed to make. My kingdom for a brain.  Just one. We were scoring plenty of runs, 2nd in baseball until several inopportune injuries and then the madness started. We give away one of the best 1st base players in baseball (if we got a starting pitcher or equal value at that position fine). instead we screw up 1B, SS and OF (Ross was fine). We did improve the bullpen.

We didn't address our one pressing need - a #1 and #2 starter. I would have killed for Dickey among a number of others that slipped through our fingers.   

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: GM fiddles while Rome burns

In response to PressBias's comment:

We didn't address our one pressing and need - a #1 and #2 starter. I would have killed for Dickey among a number of others that slipped through our fingers.

That's why you're not an MLB general manager. Toronto paid dearly for R.A. Dickey and the Red Sox were wise not to top the Blue Jay offer.

Red Sox GM Ben Cherington has signed eight free agents to MLB contracts (if one includes Mike Napoli) and traded for closer Joel Hanrahan. Cherington has not exactly been idle.

Welcome to the forum.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In response to PressBias' comment:

The stupidity of the GM, the brain dead Boston columnists and absentee owners (they seem lost, no?) amazes one. We finish last and Toronto is eating our lunch in the off season - making the moves that we needed to make. My kingdom for a brain.  Just one. We were scoring plenty of runs, 2nd in baseball until several inopportune injuries and then the madness started. We give away one of the best 1st base players in baseball (if we got a starting pitcher or equal value at that position fine). instead we screw up 1B, SS and OF (Ross was fine). We did improve the bullpen.

We didn't address our one pressing need - a #1 and #2 starter. I would have killed for Dickey among a number of others that slipped through our fingers.   

Somebody must have just awoken from a long slumber...like about a year and a half I would guess...

First off, the 1st base player you reference, although one of the better players at the position, was not a very good leader or influence for the team...plus his status was the factor that allowed the Sox to get out from under both his long-term contract and that of Crawfords as well. Plus, addition by subtraction getting Beckett (who had run his course in Boston) out of town.

Second, the Sox did have discussions with te Marlins about Reyes and Johnson, however, Toronto got a bigger deal done...teams are not standing there waiting to just send their players to the Red Sox...at what cost, besides the contracts acquired would the Sox have had to pay to make any deal with the Marlins??

Third, and can you please explain to me where the #1 & #2 starter tree is growing for the Sox to pluck from?? It's not like teams are lining up to trade their best pitchers just to satisfy the needs of the Boston team.

Last, the Sox have been one of the busiest teams in the offseason, acquiring D. Ross, Victorino, Drew, Dempster, Uehara and Hanrahan...with Napoli still in the works...doesn't sound like the GM is fiddling to me whether you agree with his moves or not.

Was this really your first contribution to this board, or are you just another one of those posters that renames himself every other day?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

It's sounds like your not a big fan of Cherington. Guess you can take the summer off and return next year....Hopefully in that time our brain dead GM can make a move that meets with your high standards.

As for Toronto they've not won a thing yet...that's why we play the games. Personally, I'm not as bullish on their aquisitions as many pudits appear to be...They aquired two oft injured players in Josh Johnson and Reyes. While adding a couple of savy vets to thier rotation in Dickey & Buerhle and a player that will be under a microscope who will have to play the 2013 season clean...so which Melky shows up the one that the Yanks traded away or the one that juiced up and became a .300 hitter...

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to Soxdog67's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to PressBias' comment:
    [QUOTE]

SoxDog, 

No need for me to go into any detail because you summarized my points already. PressBias is probably Softlaw in new "sheep clothing". 

Happy New Year, 

Hetch

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Speaking of being biased, ESPN loves talking about the Red Sox and Yankees..........which is fine with me.   LOL

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Not true........  Ben is waiting for the right moment to pull the "BLOCKBUSTER", as he has aquired enough middle of the pack players that should help..... Trade will be coming......    BTW, is that you SOFTY ?????

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

I like the Sox moves, the days are now finally getting longer and the count down to spring training is under way!

I fully agree that it is a time to hoard all draft picks and young prospects, and am very happy that none (except maybe Sands) has been shipped out for marginal, older players.   Last year was last place and older players on high contracts for long periods of time are not the answer for getting out of last place over younger, more athletic and cheaper players.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

My kingdom for a brain.  Just one. 

Most posters aren't as honest as this guy is.   Good luck in finding yourself a brain.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to charliedarling's comment:

I like the Sox moves, the days are now finally getting longer and the count down to spring training is under way!

I fully agree that it is a time to hoard all draft picks and young prospects, and am very happy that none (except maybe Sands) has been shipped out for marginal, older players.   Last year was last place and older players on high contracts for long periods of time are not the answer for getting out of last place over younger, more athletic and cheaper players.

Charlie, 

A few weeks ago I wrote that I was jumping ship disgusted with the way the Sox are operating this year but in retrospect I was all too reactionary. The Sox have obviously changed their ways and not getting rid of younger prospects for older players. It seems as some have written that they are bringing in "team players" to bridge the gap while the younger prospects are on the way.

For me this will provide a great mix so the young players get to experience solid veteran players who can work with them while they learn. It will also give a great mix of veterans and young players that might be on the next contending team. No team is either going to be a mix of only older veterans signed as free agents or a totally young team of prospects, it has to be a mix of each and that seems to be the new direction of the Sox front office. 

Hetch

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

Charlie, 

A few weeks ago I wrote that I was jumping ship disgusted with the way the Sox are operating this year but in retrospect I was all too reactionary. The Sox have obviously changed their ways and not getting rid of younger prospects for older players. It seems as some have written that they are bringing in "team players" to bridge the gap while the younger prospects are on the way.

For me this will provide a great mix so the young players get to experience solid veteran players who can work with them while they learn. It will also give a great mix of veterans and young players that might be on the next contending team. No team is either going to be a mix of only older veterans signed as free agents or a totally young team of prospects, it has to be a mix of each and that seems to be the new direction of the Sox front office. 

Hetch

attaboy hetch! like to see more people coming around to BCs plan.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

The GM is not stupid.

The stupid ones are us.

He is making a terrific salary. He is doing what his boss says to do. They don't want a winning team, it may happen...but I don't see it for at least 3 years ( that's a highly optimistic forecast....5-8 would be more like it, if it happens again in my lifetime).

These people are business people. they manage money, not ballplayers.

We are talking about a man in John Henry , who goes to the press and says he didn't want Carl Crawford....after Crawford gets hurt and becomes unproductive, you can bet that if Crawford won the MVP award Henry would be smiling and taking photos for the Globe and S.I. ...

But, this is a guy who was okay with David Wells, Brad Penny ,Willy Mo Pena, John Smoltz, Jason Bay and dozens of other players who didn't create exicitement ( or actually , $$$$). The legacy of Boston Red Sox baseball in my lifetime was given a shot in the arm by Players like Yastrzemski, Lonborg, Garciaparra, Ramirez, Pedro, Schilling, Fisk, Lynn, Rice, Pedroia, Ortiz, Boggs, Evans...these are the type players that bring success and along with it ticket sales.

However, if we continue to throw our money at teams with no superstar prospects, no significant star players, who really is the dope?...us or Cherrybomb?

I mean, seriously , I can see myself falling asleep early as the team sinks to 3rd place or lower by June 1. With boring, low-skilled players like Johnny Gomes, Ryan Dempster, and David Ross as our plan to move forward and only Pedroia and Ortiz as our star players....we ar in for a long suffering period, which I would be okay with if I was watching young potenial gain experience. I would rather see a team of young kids work their way to something better than to watch has-beens and never weres coollapse at million dollar prices.

They won't get the message until we start turning off the T.V. and leaving all the seats empty.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from baddad. Show baddad's posts

it could be worse,,,,we could be the yankees

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

Charlie, 

Hetch

The only thing that these moves tell me this hot stove is that ben is afraid to invest in star players for fear of failure...not exactly a formula for success imho

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

I like their moves also.  IMO, all of the players signed are being overpaid, but I like the philosophy of paying more per year for fewer years.  More importantly, the Sox are getting players that can help the team contend this year, while not sacrificing their future.  We have some good clubhouse vets that should be great role models and leaders for the younger guys.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

I like their moves also.  IMO, all of the players signed are being overpaid, but I like the philosophy of paying more per year for fewer years.  More importantly, the Sox are getting players that can help the team contend this year, while not sacrificing their future.  We have some good clubhouse vets that should be great role models and leaders for the younger guys.

Well said Kimmi. Well said indeed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts