GM fiddles while Rome burns

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Re: GM fiddles while Rome burns

"Pike

You do not have a clue of what you are talking about

this drivel you wrote is pure trash."

Totally, that was junk Pike. Boston just had one of the best ten year runs of any city in the US in professional sports. For the record I enjoyed every bit of those championship runs and even the years that were close but no cigar. Many others did too. 

Trying to tie modern sports media into Puritanism is ludicrous. However it is interesting to see you expose your highly negative view of the media in your sports city. If only you could be more realistic about your own team. 

No one sweats the future of this forum like you do. You might try enjoying the ride a bit more. 

For the record I think the Sox have had a pretty ok offseason, though I am not drinking the Peter Gammons and Bill James Koolaid. They badly need another 2-3 slot starting pitcher. If they pull that off I'll give them a B for their offseason moves (Note I'm not asking for an Ace as that is not realistic for this offseason)

So do I concur? No, I think for myself, always have, always will. 

p.s. I'm not an alias in the sense you are talking about. I've only had one screen name since I joined this site, unlike you I have not been kicked out a bunch of times for doing inappropriate things here. But yeah, I'm here to debate, that's what an Internet forum is for. That is until something really great happens, then we can celebrate. Until then....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

he has been very active, not great moves..... but quiet or fiddling?  no

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

" I would have killed for Dickey among a number of others that slipped through our fingers.  "

You would have killed for a mid-30s knuckleballer? Well at least we know you aren't Softlaw. 

I wasn't aware the offseason was over by the way. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

"Pike

You do not have a clue of what you are talking about

this drivel you wrote is pure trash."

Totally, that was junk Pike. Boston just had one of the best ten year runs of any city in the US in professional sports. For the record I enjoyed every bit of those championship runs and even the years that were close but no cigar. Many others did too. 

Trying to tie modern sports media into Puritanism is ludicrous. However it is interesting to see you expose your highly negative view of the media in your sports city. If only you could be more realistic about your own team. 

No one sweats the future of this forum like you do. You might try enjoying the ride a bit more. 

For the record I think the Sox have had a pretty ok offseason, though I am not drinking the Peter Gammons and Bill James Koolaid. They badly need another 2-3 slot starting pitcher. If they pull that off I'll give them a B for their offseason moves (Note I'm not asking for an Ace as that is not realistic for this offseason)

So do I concur? No, I think for myself, always have, always will. 

p.s. I'm not an alias in the sense you are talking about. I've only had one screen name since I joined this site, unlike you I have not been kicked out a bunch of times for doing inappropriate things here. But yeah, I'm here to debate, that's what an Internet forum is for. That is until something really great happens, then we can celebrate. Until then....

I think your role here has been confirmed. For you to use an obvious Yankee troll's quote to go after a Sox fan, and completely ignore the fact that "Ben Cheringtom's" insulting comments that fill every thread attacking Sox fans are trolling is the most bizarre thing I've ever seen. As I've said before, you're here to spank Sox fans.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

The GM is not stupid.

The stupid ones are us.

He is making a terrific salary. He is doing what his boss says to do. They don't want a winning team, it may happen...but I don't see it for at least 3 years ( that's a highly optimistic forecast....5-8 would be more like it, if it happens again in my lifetime).

These people are business people. they manage money, not ballplayers.

We are talking about a man in John Henry , who goes to the press and says he didn't want Carl Crawford....after Crawford gets hurt and becomes unproductive, you can bet that if Crawford won the MVP award Henry would be smiling and taking photos for the Globe and S.I. ...

But, this is a guy who was okay with David Wells, Brad Penny ,Willy Mo Pena, John Smoltz, Jason Bay and dozens of other players who didn't create exicitement ( or actually , $$$$). The legacy of Boston Red Sox baseball in my lifetime was given a shot in the arm by Players like Yastrzemski, Lonborg, Garciaparra, Ramirez, Pedro, Schilling, Fisk, Lynn, Rice, Pedroia, Ortiz, Boggs, Evans...these are the type players that bring success and along with it ticket sales.

However, if we continue to throw our money at teams with no superstar prospects, no significant star players, who really is the dope?...us or Cherrybomb?

I mean, seriously , I can see myself falling asleep early as the team sinks to 3rd place or lower by June 1. With boring, low-skilled players like Johnny Gomes, Ryan Dempster, and David Ross as our plan to move forward and only Pedroia and Ortiz as our star players....we ar in for a long suffering period, which I would be okay with if I was watching young potenial gain experience. I would rather see a team of young kids work their way to something better than to watch has-beens and never weres coollapse at million dollar prices.

They won't get the message until we start turning off the T.V. and leaving all the seats empty.

Your post makes no sense whatsoever.

1-'They don't want a winning team'-Why not?  Isn't a winning team what drives ratings and attendance?  And if they didn't want a winning team, then why sign all these FAs?

2-Then you mention four acquisitions that didn't work out, and then for some strange reason, include Bay, which was a great acquisition.  Why commingle 4 bads with one good?

3-Then you mention 13 RS players that played for us over the past 50 years, three of whom were acquired by recent management.  I don't the point you are trying to make.  Are you trying to say we need more great draft picks like Pedey?  Or more great under-the-radar move like Papi?  I'm pretty sure 100% of all sports fan, for every team, in every sport, wants their team to draft good players, and make good trades.

4-Then you say you'd rather watch the kids play.  Like all these generic statements, you never bother to say which kids you'd like to see play.  I'm sure almost every RS fan would like to see one or two kids come up each year.  But wanting a robust minor league system than saying just promote 25 kids from AAA, AA, and A.

Who do you want to promote?

5-Past that, your logic is compellingly inconsistent.

• You seem to imply that the owner is all about the money.  But that is completely inconsistent with us signing a lor of FAs and having a huge payroll.
    • And if they were all about the money, wouldn't they do exactly what you suggest, and play 25 kids?
    • You seem to want to play the kids, but two of the players you liked were acquired by trading our top prospects.

It just looks to me like you want to play the kids, then blame the owner for being cheap and playing the kids, and then you want to trade the kids for guys like Pedro and Schilling, then you want us to sign FAs like Manny.  You have no consistent theme behind any of this.

Sections
Shortcuts