GM of the YEAR

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

GM of the YEAR

Don't know if there is such an award, but the previously maligned Ben C is my choice.

He picked up

Victorino - This was a key reason why Phillies were so good a few yrs ago; NYY fans I've recently spoken to love him; a winner; and playing hurt

Napoli - If Texas would have won in 2011... Critics are now silent.

Carp - fits perfectly with RS approach to hitting, ala Nava; key AB in Friday's game

Peavy - and gave up plenty to get him, justifiably so

Gomes - Good eye, power, Been very clutch, and on my fantasy team; not good in the field, basepaths, or generally vs Righties however

Ross - still good defensively, which this team needed for late innings

Uehara - Eckish; also on my fantasy team; is mind boggling effective at that velocity

Farm System is blooming, which wasn't the case a few yrs ago

Did I leave anyone out?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Re: GM of the YEAR

I think Drew was a solid signing. The guy plays outstanding defense and since the first month and a half of the season has been very solid with the bat and very clutch.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

Don't know if there is such an award, but the previously maligned Ben C is my choice.

He picked up

Victorino - This was a key reason why Phillies were so good a few yrs ago; NYY fans I've recently spoken to love him; a winner; and playing hurt

Carp - fits perfectly with RS approach to hitting, ala Nava; key AB in Friday's game

Gomes - Good eye, power, Been very clutch, and on my fantasy team; not good in the field, basepaths, or generally vs Righties however

Uehara - Eckish; also on my fantasy team; is mind boggling effective at that velocity

Did I leave anyone out?

Ya really think so, Steven?  

But in spite my smarmy retort about your general conclusion, your humble acknowlegement and added elaboration on reasons is appreciated.

However, a gloomy Red Sox spin doctor may highlight Hanrahan, maybe Dempster, a short sample of Matt Thornton, and a follow up on all traded and released players playing well elsewhere, and conclude that Ben should be voted the Worst GM.  Just ask BoSox1941 about how he evaluates managers.

And also, a good dose of luck comes with the territory.  I'm sure that Ben himself is blown away with his sophmore Midas touch.  

Just ask Theo about ebb and flow.  Except in the case of the Crawford blunder.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

He picked up

Did I leave anyone out?

Ya really think so, Steven?  

But in spite my smarmy retort about your general conclusion, your humble acknowlegement and added elaboration on reasons is appreciated.

However, a gloomy Red Sox spin doctor may highlight Hanrahan, maybe Dempster, a short sample of Matt Thornton, and a follow up on all traded and released players playing well elsewhere, and conclude that Ben should be voted the Worst GM.  Just ask BoSox1941 about how he evaluates managers.

And also, a good dose of luck comes with the territory.  I'm sure that Ben himself is blown away with his sophmore Midas touch.  

Just ask Theo about ebb and flow.  Except in the case of the Crawford blunder.

Pretty valid; but nobody's perfect. And when you haVe a possible record setting improvement in wins from the previous season, all is forgiven IMO.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

Heshould definitely be the front runner, with how well this team has done compared to last year I don't know how anyone could complain.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Torgorox. Show Torgorox's posts

He picked up

Did I leave anyone out?

I think he should have won it last year for getting rid of the THREE AMIGOS.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

That's all Theo's doing.  Ben can only be blamed or credited with the guys he drafted.

And I think he's done well, but siging guys is not quite rocket science.  Naps, Gomes, and Vic were signed to market value and above.  Drew was probably his best overall signing.  Uehara was a nice signing, and looks better in retrospect because Hanrahan and Bailey did not work out.  Breslow was a very underrated acquisition.

I think he has a good sense of how to create the best balance, kind of like with the final package being bigger than the sum of the parts.  Part of the problem in 2011 was trying to build a team of superstars.  That never seems to work, though it never seems to go out of style.  This is a bit like 2004, where you took a team with a handful of stars, and built a championship by adding underrated key players like Millar, Bellhorn, etc.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

That's all Theo's doing.  Ben can only be blamed or credited with the guys he drafted.

True, but I give him credit for not trading any significant farm pieces that are likely to play a role in our future over the next few years. Most of the moves he made have turned out pretty well.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

True, but I give him credit for not trading any significant farm pieces that are likely to play a role in our future over the next few years. Most of the moves he made have turned out pretty well.

Well, he traded Iglesias, by almost anyone's standards, a significant piece.

The moves he made worked out okay, but he had a lot of money to spend.  With Naps, Ross, Gomes, Vic, Drew, Carp, Dempster, Uehara, and Hanrahan, he received a total WAR of 16.7.  That's worth about $75-80M.  He spent about $67M.

If he wins GM of the Year this year, it'll all be based on the work he did last year getting rid of $60M+ of superstar salaries and replacing them with lesser talented players, but more of them.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

He also picked up de las Rosa and Webster in the mega trade last year both of whom are still pretty good prospects.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Cherington ruined this team.  I read it all February and March on this website.

I see how this works.  Cherington ruins the Red Sox, and the Yankee fans want him rewarded for it...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

I loved what Cherington did this offseason.  He gave us a team that could contend, without sacrificing the future in terms of either money or players.

Also, I know many posters here think it's hogwash, but a big shout out to my man Bill James for his influence in putting this team together.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Cherington ruined this team.  I read it all February and March on this website.

I see how this works.  Cherington ruins the Red Sox, and the Yankee fans want him rewarded for it...

LOL Notin.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

[QUOTE]

The moves he made worked out okay, but he had a lot of money to spend.  With Naps, Ross, Gomes, Vic, Drew, Carp, Dempster, Uehara, and Hanrahan, he received a total WAR of 16.7.  That's worth about $75-80M.  He spent about $67M.

If he wins GM of the Year this year, it'll all be based on the work he did last year getting rid of $60M+ of superstar salaries and replacing them with lesser talented players, but more of them.

[/QUOTE]

"not trading any significant farm pieces that are likely to play a role in our future over the next few years"

I dont think he was saying Iggy wasnt significant, but that he wasnt part of the Sox future with Xander aboard.

Ben has made many more good moves than bad ones, and thats all that you can ask from a GM. They are all going to have a few deals that didnt turn out well, but as long as the majority of the moves made work out, then hes done his job.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

IMO the jury is still out on that one!  Smile

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

While illuminating, I'm not really a big fan of taking verbatim WAR and other IMO imperfect metrics in general; baseball to a large extent is a situational game; so are practically all sports; see Napoli and Victorino; others that come to mind are Jack Morris, Ortiz, Jeter, Mantle, Reggie Jax, Joe Montana, Jordan. Yes, some of these guys had tremendous numbers; but that's not the whole story.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

I loved what Cherington did this offseason.  He gave us a team that could contend, without sacrificing the future in terms of either money or players.

Also, I know many posters here think it's hogwash, but a big shout out to my man Bill James for his influence in putting this team together.

Absolutely.  This team has Bill James' fingerprints all over it. 

James said many years ago that trying to build a team out of high-priced free agents is a strategy doomed to fail.  Good teams are built from within and from good scouting of the lower-priced FA's, with an occasional FA superstar used to fill a void. 

Beckett is gone, Crawford is gone and Gonzalez is gone (although he's one of the superstars whom it would have been nice to have kept to fill a both offensive and defensive void at 1B), and grossly overpriced players like Hamilton were overlooked in favor of guys like Victorino.

Ya have to give the FO credit.  After last season JH said that they'd gotten away from one of the things that made the team successful in the past -  James' analysis - and they were going back in the direction of giving James more input into signings.   

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

That was his biggest contribution, imho, along with, as you mention later, giving James more input.  Even in the pre-season, I figured we had enough to finish first at best, and compete for a playoff slot at worst.  With only signing players with a 3-year window or less, he managed to put together a good team without sacrificing either prospects or financial flexibility.

One of the things I forget to mention is that I like that he left money in the budget for a mid-season acquisition.  My only real complaint about Theo was that he'd spend his budget in pre-season, making it more difficult to pick up more expensive players later.  I thought that really hurt us in 2011 when we went from Buchholz to some pretty bad #6 SPs.  Even last year, we wound up giving 29 starts to Cook and Dice for a ruinous 5-18.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I forgot to mention-Ben put together a nicely balanced team.  12 players with 200 PAs and 100 ERA+.  And the ability to go L/R.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

He picked up

Did I leave anyone out?

Steve~

If I didn't know any better I would say you are a sox fan Wink

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Best GM since Eddie Collins. Nuf' sed

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Joey is right about having decent money to spend with but you have to say Ben's picks were pretty dam good as well...shane, napoli, koji, and peavy trade were all key -

even more impressive is the sum of those parts (beardsmen attitude) in hiring JF and other cast members to erase the Beckett stink of the last four years....for this I say he earns the reverse, reverse Midas touch award as GM of the year...

As always - 100% correct!

23. This post has been removed.