Go Pedroia!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Re: Go Pedroia!

In Response to Re: Go Pedroia!:
    [QUOTE]I actually agree
    Posted by freediro[/QUOTE]

With or without the confirmation of captain, he's the captain of this team.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Go Pedroia! : You do realize what he did happens all the time and on some occasions it gets a team turned around. Being a leader sometimes means you cross the line and are not afraid of the repercussions. Especially when he was so right. That ump totally blew the call and should have said so and just maybe DP would not have gone so far.
    Posted by JimfromFlorida[/QUOTE]

Tell 'im, Jim!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Go Pedroia! : Oh please...
    Posted by ThefourBs[/QUOTE]

LOL. Really, oh please...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Go Pedroia! : GM Kim, while that wasn't exactly a precedent being set, i agree umping  has been wildly inconsistent/borderline maddening this season(well, a lot longer actually) i guess the frustrating part is players are going to continue to be tossed arguing blown calls..especially B&S, my ump problem is how they sometimes handle blown rules interps, and the fact that a lot of them make themselves the game...i think most times a player should try to remain in control, but given the level of performance i side with the players who get tossed...    
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]

Hey, Jete. Agreed. I think the second argument was about the batter getting hit while swinging at the pitch. At that point, Pedroia had enough. I'm only sorry they didn't have the sound on as to what he was saying. It's seemed like a mouthful. lol

And I also agree about the umps making themselves the game and drawing attention to themselves. Some of them really are power-mad.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Go Pedroia! : Protesting a bad call is hardly whining, even if Jim Rice actually said that.
    Posted by MikeNagy[/QUOTE]

Pksndnld, like most Yankee fans, don't like anyone complaining about the umpires. I wonder why that is...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Go Pedroia!": Don't yell at me. Yell at Jim Rice.
    Posted by prknsdnld[/QUOTE]

FTR, that's Mikey pretending to be Pike talking about the Sox fans whining on the board.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]An umpire actually threw the organist out of the game for playing "Three Blind Mice" after a questionable call on the field in a minor league game: http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120801&content_id=35977786&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_milb
    Posted by MikeNagy[/QUOTE]

Can we start playing three blind mice at games? That would be awesome.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]two things -  1) that was the worst check swing strike call i have ever seen...wasnt even close and if i were selig, i would call that ump and tell him so... 2) pedroia needs to chill....he was looking to get thrown out - he's not the manager (who can/should do that from time to time) but maybe this is how they do things on this team now...
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

The umpires should know that if they're going to make outrageous calls that are so wrong, they are going to get alot of attention for it. They're going to be on screen, their names are mentioned, and they are going to look foolish. Maybe they'll get the call right for a change instead of someone quietly walking back to the dugout and the game just continues with no recognition.

I also believe that they should answer for calls that are so bad. It should be like any other job. If you can't do it, you shouldn't be there. Guys behind the plate who make up their own strike zone, or who miss pitches so badly don't belong there. And they showed the view from first base, and there was no swing. So, if the umpire can't get that call right, he shouldn't be there.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Go Pedroia! :   And made sillier by having the letter "C" sewed to your baseball jersey....

Why would you care if the Sox decided to sew the entire alphabet on his jersey?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Of course, Zac is here as the publicist for all umpires defending their name. Yankee fans like Zac love the umpires. They never want anything to change. Like I said in another thread, I wonder why that is...

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

First things first... I belive the ump knew he blew the call on Pedey, that's why he gave Pedey so much latitude at that time.  But what's the ump going to do then?  Say, "Oh, Gee, I changed my mind.  He didn't swing after all"??  That would have only made the situation worse. 

IMO what should have happened is the ump should have conferred with the HP ump and said, "I blew that call.  Let's make it look like we talked and then I saw things the way you (allegedly) did.  It ain't pretty but at least we get the call right".   

The confrontation about the hit batsman was caused by the first dust-up.  Pedey was already upset about the bad call and when he got a chance to make another issue of it, he did.  It was an emotional move that he probably shouldn't have done but I understand his frustration.  I've BTDT. 

It's all fine.  Baseball can be an emotional game.  I'd rather have people playing who care than a team made up of 25....J.D. Drew's.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]First things first... I belive the ump knew he blew the call on Pedey, that's why he gave Pedey so much latitude at that time.  But what's the ump going to do then?  Say, "Oh, Gee, I changed my mind.  He didn't swing after all"??  That would have only made the situation worse.  IMO what should have happened is the ump should have conferred with the HP ump and said, "I blew that call.  Let's make it look like we talked and then I saw things the way you (allegedly) did.  It ain't pretty but at least we get the call right".    The confrontation about the hit batsman was caused by the first dust-up.  Pedey was already upset about the bad call and when he got a chance to make another issue of it, he did.  It was an emotional move that he probably shouldn't have done but I understand his frustration.  I've BTDT.  It's all fine.  Baseball can be an emotional game.  I'd rather have people playing who care than a team made up of 25....J.D. Drew's.
    Posted by S5[/QUOTE]

I love the emotional players, but I also love the players who are more quiet. Point being, everyone is just themselves and they don't try to be something they're not.

I always felt bad for Drew. I think he was just a quiet guy who took a lot of abuse for being quiet. The most talked about time when people said he didn't have any reaction was when Ellsbury stole home. What people didn't seem to be aware of (I don't know why) was that Drew's son, who was a 1-year-old at the time, was in a full body cast while Drew was still playing for the team. I can't imagine what it must be like for a boy that age to be in a full body cast. I don't think Drew's mind was really on baseball at that time, and I can't blame him.

I also saw him once in the dugout when he wasn't doing well, and taking alot of heat for it, with visible bags under his eyes. I really felt bad for him. He clearly wasn't sleeping well.

There's something really wrong when people get so abusive because players aren't doing well. It really is just a game. I'm not saying you're one of them, but I still can't believe how he always seemed to be a permanent punching bag while he was playing, and how many people still go after him even now.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Well written.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Go Pedroia! : I love the emotional players, but I also love the players who are more quiet. Point being, everyone is just themselves and they don't try to be something they're not. I always felt bad for Drew. I think he was just a quiet guy who took a lot of abuse for being quiet. The most talked about time when people said he didn't have any reaction was when Ellsbury stole home. What people didn't seem to be aware of (I don't know why) was that Drew's son, who was a 1-year-old at the time, was in a full body cast while Drew was still playing for the team. I can't imagine what it must be like for a boy that age to be in a full body cast. I don't think Drew's mind was really on baseball at that time, and I can't blame him. I also saw him once in the dugout when he wasn't doing well, and taking alot of heat for it, with visible bags under his eyes. I really felt bad for him. He clearly wasn't sleeping well. There's something really wrong when people get so abusive because players aren't doing well. It really is just a game. I'm not saying you're one of them, but I still can't believe how he always seemed to be a permanent punching bag while he was playing, and how many people still go after him even now.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Go Pedroia! : ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

In Response to Re: The Red Sox are a Jon Lester away from having the best rotation in the Bigs. : Exactly. And top starters don't have bad months, like the Red Sox starters do. The Red Sox don't have top of the rotation starters and to the fans of a team with a payroll north of $170M, that should be unacceptable. They threw dumb money at Lakcey, Beckett, Dicek, and maybe Lester and Buchholz. Hmmm, that's your entire rotation.
    Posted by ADG

You never did answer for this post, Mikey. In fact, your ADG alias kinda didn't post for a bit -- even stopped the five negative threads a day kick. Maybe you can explain the post now.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

The forum would benefit when ADG is exposed as a Yankee troll.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Go Pedroia! : I love the emotional players, but I also love the players who are more quiet. Point being, everyone is just themselves and they don't try to be something they're not. I always felt bad for Drew. I think he was just a quiet guy who took a lot of abuse for being quiet. The most talked about time when people said he didn't have any reaction was when Ellsbury stole home. What people didn't seem to be aware of (I don't know why) was that Drew's son, who was a 1-year-old at the time, was in a full body cast while Drew was still playing for the team. I can't imagine what it must be like for a boy that age to be in a full body cast. I don't think Drew's mind was really on baseball at that time, and I can't blame him. I also saw him once in the dugout when he wasn't doing well, and taking alot of heat for it, with visible bags under his eyes. I really felt bad for him. He clearly wasn't sleeping well. There's something really wrong when people get so abusive because players aren't doing well. It really is just a game. I'm not saying you're one of them, but I still can't believe how he always seemed to be a permanent punching bag while he was playing, and how many people still go after him even now.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]
    Yes. People have no idea what kind of person Drew was -- on and off the field.
    He hustled on the bases and ran them very well. He hustled in the outfield, and was Boston's best defender there since Dwight Evans. 
    Overall, he failed to meet expectations at the plate. Lots of players do. That doesn't mean that they don't care. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Many misread Manny's calm demeanor as a sign he did not care and was lazy. In fact, he was often the first to the park and last to leave.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Go Pedroia! : Yes. People have no idea what kind of person Drew was -- on and off the field. He hustled on the bases and ran them very well. He hustled in the outfield, and was Boston's best defender there since Dwight Evans.  Overall, he failed to meet expectations at the plate. Lots of players do. That doesn't mean that they don't care. 
    Posted by expitch[/QUOTE]

I always thought he was a great defender, but didn't know how great. And that's a tough field to play. He also had a gun for an arm, and I loved it when he threw to third from RF to throw a runner out. Hottest play in baseball IMO. :)

I agree that it doesn't mean they don't care. I'm sure he would have done better at the plate if he could. I don't believe anyone grows up playing baseball, making it to the minors, then the majors, and baseball becomes your whole life and you just don't care. More than likely, you're obsessing about it, and like in Drew's case, you're not sleeping well. And the beatings about it just makes everything so much worse. And quiet guy is more likely to internalize it rather then vent. It's really unbelievable that people don't get that, and like I said before, have absolutely no compassion.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]Many misread Manny's calm demeanor as a sign he did not care and was lazy. In fact, he was often the first to the park and last to leave.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

And like I said in my post to ex, they are just more likely to internalize it, which is probably alot tougher on them.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Go Pedroia! :  Because I used to be an umpire and realize what a good job they do in spite of the blowhards that blame them for every loss and criticize their every call.

I've been around enough umps and refs to know some are extremely good, and some stink.  When you say 'they' do a good job, you are including the ones that stink with the ones that are good.