God Forbid We Get the Lead

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

God Forbid We Get the Lead

Yep, thanks to Lackey, we have yet another hole to dig out of   When the last time Sox scored a few in the first to give them the edge.  This is gotten old. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Re: God Forbid We Get the Lead

Not much was hit hard off Lackey.  Is 4-2 really something to whine about?  He settled down and did his job.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

6-4 final, looks like your prayer's were answered...not only did we get the lead but we held it and picked up a game on the Yank's too!

Lackey certainly didn't have his best stuff last night, "for sure". Even so he grinded it out, kept us in the game, gave us 6 full, holding the M's to 4 and was rewarded with a W...Love em or hate em, he never stopped trying to make pitches and was close to 90 after four and easily could've folded his tent. But in true veteran fashion, went back out to do his job and there after he retired the side in both the 5th and 6th, before surrendering a leadoff infield hit to Ackley to open the 7th (A batter in hindsight he probably shouldn't have been sent out to face).  Aside from the obvious (win) the real value in his start yesterday was his buckling down and going 6 full and handing the ball to the backend of the pen.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

In Response to Re: God Forbid We Get the Lead:
    [QUOTE]6-4 final, looks like your prayer's were answered...not only did we get the lead but we held it and picked up a game on the Yank's too! Lackey certainly didn't have his best stuff last night, "for sure". Even so he grinded it out, kept us in the game, gave us 6 full, holding the M's to 4 and was rewarded with a W...Love em or hate em, he never stopped trying to make pitches and was close to 90 after four and easily could've folded his tent. But in true veteran fashion, went back out to do his job and there after he retired the side in both the 5th and 6th, before surrendering a leadoff infield hit to Ackley to open the 7th (A batter in hindsight he probably shouldn't have been sent out to face).  Aside from the obvious (win) the real value in his start yesterday was his buckling down and going 6 full and handing the ball to the backend of the pen.
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

Now that's what I'm talking about!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

You know you're having a good season when the complaints are this weak.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

[QUOTE]You know you're having a good season when the complaints are this weak.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

yeah, it's sorta like waah waah, crash,crash,crash............oh! nevermind! Smile

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]6-4 final, looks like your prayer's were answered...not only did we get the lead but we held it and picked up a game on the Yank's too! Lackey certainly didn't have his best stuff last night, "for sure". Even so he grinded it out, kept us in the game, gave us 6 full, holding the M's to 4 and was rewarded with a W...Love em or hate em, he never stopped trying to make pitches and was close to 90 after four and easily could've folded his tent. But in true veteran fashion, went back out to do his job and there after he retired the side in both the 5th and 6th, before surrendering a leadoff infield hit to Ackley to open the 7th (A batter in hindsight he probably shouldn't have been sent out to face).  Aside from the obvious (win) the real value in his start yesterday was his buckling down and going 6 full and handing the ball to the backend of the pen.
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

I agree, Beantowne,

With Lackey I have just learned to accept the fact he may gives up a lot of hits and will rarely hold a lead.  Winning the game is the most important factor at this point but it would be nice to see the Sox put up some early runs again. 

It takes a lot of pressure of the starters.  Ells has also been in a "mini slump" recently, hopefully he breaks out in a huge way this weekend because the offense seems to score early and often when he hitting well.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

"a lead"? U mean like the lead in the division? the lead for the best record in the AL? Do tell.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]"a lead"? U mean like the lead in the division? the lead for the best record in the AL? Do tell.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Burrito, holding a lead in a game your offense puts you ahead in is important, just like our offense setting a tone early in the game will take pressure off our starter. 

That's my point!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I was talking to the thread bearer not you. I cant stand Lackey if that pleases some of you more. He automatically puts you in the hole. That said the team is coming together more every game. The weak links are stabilizing and the best r playing their azz off.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]I was talking to the thread bearer not you. I cant stand Lackey if that pleases some of you more. He automatically puts you in the hole. That said the team is coming together more every game. The weak links are stabilizing and the best our playing their azz off.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Gotcha, he does make it rough on our offense more often than not.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from playball01. Show playball01's posts

In Response to God Forbid We Get the Lead:
    [QUOTE]Yep, thanks to Lackey, we have yet another hole to dig out of   When the last time Sox scored a few in the first to give them the edge.  This is gotten old. 
    Posted by fenwayjack2[/QUOTE]

Yep, we won another one. How disappointing a way to ruin a perfect thread!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]I was talking to the thread bearer not you. I cant stand Lackey if that pleases some of you more. He automatically puts you in the hole. Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

The thing is.. baseball is a nine-inning game and not a two inning game.  It doesn't matter who scores first, what matters is who has the most runs after nine. 

The Sox are like a lot of other teams, only better.  No, they don't go out and kick around the opposing pitcher in the first couple of innings because these pitchers are good.  That's why they're in the majors.

Instead they run pitch counts up and then take advantage of the starters when they're tired or take advantage of the soft underbelly of a staff, the middle relievers, after they've chased the starters.  It's all in the game plan. 

No, Lackey doesn't go out and shut 'em down, but he keeps his team in the game long enough for them to get to the point where the offense can make some hay.  That's the secondary role of the starter. (The primary role is to shut 'em down!)

While this offense is sporadic (they can kick around the very best (F. Hernandez and CC Sabathia come to mind) they have more trouble with the mediocre ones - until the mediocres get a bit tired.  That's when the runs get scored.

I like this team because "It ain't over 'til it's over".

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]Yep, thanks to Lackey, we have yet another hole to dig out of   When the last time Sox scored a few in the first to give them the edge.  This is gotten old. 

MLB, for some strange reason, awards wins and losses on total runs for the game.  I know what you're saying, that if a team scores 2 runs in the 1st, those runs should count for more than runs scored scored later.

For example, Sabathia allowed -0- runs in the first two innings, and Lackey allowed 3 runs in the first two.  The fact that Sabathia allowed a lot more later, and Lackey did not, has nothing to do with BB.

I think you should write to Selig and tell him that Sabathia deserved a W based on his first two innings, and Lackey deserved a loss.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

I think the sox fall behind early on purpose, to give the faint-hearted a chance to give up on them, complain, and embarrass themselves, before they win the game.

I don't care if they never score early, as long as they do score and win the game.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

You have to admit Lackey grinds it out, he never gives up.   Blame the Sox hitters for no early leads, Gonzo needs to figure out his power stroke again.    But 4 runs on a tough night for Lackey is a good thing.   Sabathia looked real good in giving up 5.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

A great win all around, but who here wasn't grinding their teeth the first 4 innings?  I was pulling for Lackey and hoped he had one solid inning and we could win.

On to the next game.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

[QUOTE]A great win all around, but who here wasn't grinding their teeth the first 4 innings?  I was pulling for Lackey and hoped he had one solid inning and we could win. On to the next game.
    Posted by chuchos[/QUOTE]

That was my point.  It seems game after game the other team scores first and there only so many times the Sox will be able to rally.  How about a nice easy one tonight for Becket, something like a  4-0 Boston lead at the end of two. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

The Sox, of recent years, seem to struggle more against rookie pitchers or one game call up kinda guys, pitchers they haven't seen. If I was a team playing the Sox in a 3 game series I would empty the Minors and start 3 guys from triple A !! LOL

Sections
Shortcuts