Going into the Yankee series

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Going into the Yankee series

What a great position for the Sox to be in with the Y's coming to town!  If the Sox can sweep they'll pretty much put the division to bed with a 5 game lead, if they win two they increase the lead to 3 games, and if they win only one they'll still be one game ahead of the Y's.

Worst case scenario is that the Sox get swept (Ughhh) in which case they're still only one game back of the EE, and given everything going on with the schedule after that I still like the Sox's chances.  

It's far from being wrapped up but this is still a good place to be. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Re: Going into the Yankee series

In Response to Going into the Yankee series:
    [QUOTE]What a great position for the Sox to be in with the Y's coming to town!  If the Sox can sweep they'll pretty much put the division to bed with a 5 game lead, if they win two they increase the lead to 3 games, and if they win only one they'll still be one game ahead of the Y's.   Worst case scenario is that the Sox get swept (Ughhh) in which case they're still only one game back of the EE, and given everything going on with the schedule after that I still like the Sox's chances.   It's far from being wrapped up but this is still a good place to be.   
    Posted by S5[/QUOTE]i agree, but both teams would heed to continue playing well against everyone else...looking over your shoulder is the surest way to get caught, if you know what i mean... 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I agree completely, Jete.  If both of "our" teams play well the race to the playoffs is over.  There's no way the TRays are going to catch either team.  I DO think the winner of the AL East is in a better position that the WC though.  Last week not withstanding, that Texas team scares me some. 

BTW, I couldn't believe how many negative posts there were here this morning regarding the Sox so I put up this post to remind folks that it's NOT all gloom and doom.  Heck, someone here was almost predicting that the Sox were going to lose three to the Y's, TBay was going to go on a winning streak, and the Sox wouldn't even get the WC.  I know... trolls.... but still... it seemed like time for a positive thread.

Let's hope for the best.  I believe that the road to the AL Championship should go through Boston and/or New York.  It's a great rivalry, no matter what.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

A five game lead with over a month to go and the Yankees as the team closest to us...hmmm, somehow I don't feel that is "putting the division to bed."

I would only feel "comfortable" with about a 8-10 game lead.

I guess you had to have missed 1978 to ever believe it's all sewn up at any point with New York on your tail.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moremo. Show moremo's posts

In Response to Re: Going into the Yankee series:
    [QUOTE]

I believe that the road to the AL Championship should go through Boston and/or New York. 

Posted by S5[/QUOTE]

Some might suggest that the Rangers, as the defending League Champions, control the toll booth on that road.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Yeah, I remember '78 all too well.  And I still think it was an aberration. 

IIRC the '78 yankees were a lot more talented than the '11 version. 

FWIW, that was also the fall of the New York newspaper strike and the papers were chewing the Y's up and spitting them out for being so far behind the Sox in September.  Then the papers went on strike and the Yankee resugence began.  Coincidence?  Maybe, but I'm not one who strongly believes in coincidences.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Going into the Yankee series : Some might suggest that the Rangers, as the defending League Champions, control the toll booth on that road.
    Posted by moremo[/QUOTE]

Undeniably.  As I said in the earlier post, "that team from Texas scares me some". 

My point was that these two storied franchises have pretty much been the face of MLB for the past few years, win or lose, and given what this season has looked like, it seems appropriate that the road SHOULD go through one or the other stadiums.  It may not, but for the sake of MLB's traditions, it should. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Careful what you wish for but respectfully moremo....

The road goes through the team that finishes with the best record and secures homefield throughout the playoffs and as it stand s now, that team will be either the Sox or the Yanks (baring an epic colapse but either)...Tampa is lurking and is the only team that can impact both teams hopes to win the AL EAST and control home field...

Texas is currently 8 games back of the Sox in the loss column for best record and 7 off the pace behind the Yanks...So it's unlikely they'll catch either team for the best record...Texas isn't even a lock themselves to make the post season with only a 2 game advantage in the loss column over the Halo's in the west with a ton of ball to be played...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

any sox fan who thinks it's over with a 5 game lead, became a fan in 2004.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

[QUOTE]A five game lead with over a month to go and the Yankees as the team closest to us...hmmm, somehow I don't feel that is "putting the division to bed." I would only feel "comfortable" with about a 8-10 game lead. I guess you had to have missed 1978 to ever believe it's all sewn up at any point with New York on your tail.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]
    Actually 78 is a great example of never being too comfortable with your lead for bothe the sox and The Yankees.....while the Sox did have a 14 game lead with 72 games to play over the Yankees, what everyone but Sox fans fail to remember is that the yankees had a 3.5 game lead over the Sox with 14 games to play. Statistically losing that 3.5 game lead in 14 games was a bigger drop than losing the 14 game lead in 72 games, but the history is written by the winners and in this case the playoff game victor got the spoils. Despite 2004 and 2007, I will feel comfortable with a division lead when it is clinched 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Going into the Yankee series : Actually 78 is a great example of never being too comfortable with your lead for bothe the sox and The Yankees.....while the Sox did have a 14 game lead with 72 games to play over the Yankees, what everyone but Sox fans fail to remember is that the yankees had a 3.5 game lead over the Sox with 14 games to play. Statistically losing that 3.5 game lead in 14 games was a bigger drop than losing the 14 game lead in 72 games, but the history is written by the winners and in this case the playoff game victor got the spoils. Despite 2004 and 2007, I will feel comfortable with a division lead when it is clinched 
    Posted by tomnev[/QUOTE]

Tom,

Comfort is a relative term...I feel confident that the Sox will continue to play good ball and finish the year strong...Will they surge ahead or fall behind in the quest for the division perhaps. Tomorrow will be the first of three opportunities we'll have to make it tougher on the Yanks or allow them to gain ground. We're currently in the drivers seat, up 2, having already clinched the season series and playing pretty well of late. After 130 games neither squad has shown themselves to be able to open up a commanding lead in the division and my guess is that it's going to come down to the last weekend of season with three big games in NY and then we finish against Baltimore and they get the Rays. Trust me both teams are gonna bring their Agames in hopes of playing the spoiler role...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Last night I watched the early innings of the Yankees game at Camden Yards and was amazed at all the griping by the Yankee hitters on the home plate umpire calls of balls and strikes.   Maybe it even worked, because the Yankees hit a ton of dingers. 

We can probably expect more of the same Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from **>The-Babe<**. Show **>The-Babe<**'s posts

[QUOTE]Last night I watched the early innings of the Yankees game at Camden Yards and was amazed at all the griping by the Yankee hitters on the home plate umpire calls of balls and strikes.   Maybe it even worked, because the Yankees hit a ton of dingers.  We can probably expect more of the same Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. 

Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

You mean just like almost every at bat of youk's when he strikes out?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Going into the Yankee series : You mean just like almost every at bat of youk's when he strikes out?
    Posted by ** />The-Babe<**[/QUOTE]

Youk is guilty as charged.  But I'm talking about an entire team doing it in what seems to be a calculated manner---to take away the corners. 

As for the series, clearly, anything can happen. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Going into the Yankee series : Youk is guilty as charged.  But I'm talking about an entire team doing it in what seems to be a calculated manner---to take away the corners.  As for the series, clearly, anything can happen. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

The RS do this too; Ortiz, Pedroia, etc. Who do you think you're kidding?  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Going into the Yankee series : Tom, Comfortis a relative term...I feel confident that the Sox will continue to play good ball and finish the year strong...Will they surge ahead or fall behind in the quest for the division perhaps. Tomorrow will be the first of three opportunities we'll have to make it tougher on the Yanks or allow them to gain ground. We're currently in the drivers seat, up 2, having already clinched the season series and playing pretty well of late. After 130 games neither squad has shown themselves to be able to open up a commanding lead in the division and my guess is that it's going to come down to the last weekend of season with three big games in NY and then we finish against Baltimore and they get the Rays. Trust me both teams are gonna bring their Agames in hopes of playing the spoiler role...
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

Comfort - contentment. Contentment be our disaster. Team must continue to play on the edge, which is where the juices flow.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Wakefield eating potato salad will help.

Days off and way schedule road trips are slotted give Red Sox slight probability advantage. Probability range is 98 to 100.

The first road trip starts with a short 52M up and down flight to Toronto. It is followed by a 2 hour flight to Tampa. Most importantly is a day off follows the 2.5 hour back to Boston.

The final road trip begins after another day off before @NY and @ Baltimore which involve short commuter travel time to end season.

About as easy a travel schedule as it gets.

16 home games X .615 = 10 + 13 road games X .617 = 8 Total = 18 or 100W

Red Sox play all but 3 games v. AL East and are 31-15 v AL East = .673

.673 X 29 = 17 wins + 1 or 2 v. Texas = 100 or 101

Yankees 17 road x .596 = 10 + 14 home x .612 = 9 = 20 Total = 98

Yankees have slightly easier strength of schedule but west coast travel, more road games and doubleheader compressed schedule strongly favors Red Sox.

Probability range Red Sox 98-100 Yankees 97-99

Since tie goes to Red Sox, probabilty odds strongly say Red Sox win division.

Once it becomes clear one team is out of division race, likey Yankees, both teams will rest for playoffs and play a lot of subs the last 1 or 2 games of the season and numbers will likely skew probability range by 1 or 2 games less and a 97-98 1st and 96-97 in 2nd.

100 is a difficult bench mark and a nice cap feather that frequently means WS but unless it can be done while allowing starters to rest near end it would be counter productive to even consider it.

Important history Notes:

The last Red Sox team to win 100 or more was 65 years ago when the 1946 Red Sox won 104 games in a 154 game season, and only 3 Red Sox teams in 103 year Red Sox era history have won 100 games. Only 100 or more team not to win world title was 1946 team, losing WS in 7 to Cards

1912 Red Sox won team record 105 in a 152 game season
    1915 Red Sox won 101 in a 151 games played season

In the last 32 years, only 2 Red Sox teams have won more than 95 games, both winning a world title.

Pray Buch is healthy for playoffs and Phillies are upset and/or get bad side of injury luck

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]any sox fan who thinks it's over with a 5 game lead, became a fan in 2004.
    Posted by theYAZZER[/QUOTE]

And I didn't see anyone here saying that they thought it was over with a 5 game lead. 

Read the entire post... if you can read, that is. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I don't think Robertson will be available tomorrow night.  37 pitches between last night and tonight.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]I don't think Robertson will be available tomorrow night.  37 pitches between last night and tonight.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]i agree, maybe a batter, but even that's a push...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JustPlayTheGame. Show JustPlayTheGame's posts

Hey S5, YOU said it was over with a 5 game lead, unless "put the division to bed" means something else in your world.

Maybe you should re-read the post, if you can read.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]Hey S5, YOU said it was over with a 5 game lead, unless "put the division to bed" means something else in your world. Maybe you should re-read the post, if you can read.
    Posted by JustPlayTheGame[/QUOTE]

Sigh...
    "Pretty much put the season to bed" means that while it's not over the Sox are definitely in the driver's seat. 

I'll repost the last sentence, just for your benefit.

"It's far from being wrapped up but this is still a good place to be."

Got that?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Need to put this illiterate S5 poster to bed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Going into the Yankee series : Sigh... " Pretty much put the season to bed" means that while it's not over the Sox are definitely in the driver's seat.  I'll repost the last sentence, just for your benefit. "It's far from being wrapped up but this is still a good place to be." Got that?
    Posted by S5[/QUOTE]

esad!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]Need to put this illiterate S5 poster to bed.
    Posted by S0ftl@w[/QUOTE]

Speaking of putting someone to bed... You're still posting at 4:00 am? 

Or are you still poring over those old volumes of baseball stats because you don't do "internet research"?  LOL