Going places? Sox top pitching prospect Anthony Ranaudo is making his case

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: Going places? Sox top pitching prospect Anthony Ranaudo is making his case

LET'S MOVE HIM RIGHT INTO THE ROTATION, PERHAPS THE # 2 SPOT !!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

His E.T.A was originally 2014, now it's mid2013.  His e.r.a is like .48 right now, he gave up 2 runs last night but it was all in the 5th inning where there was 2 errors and a passed ball, he still struck out 8 in 4.  This kid just looks dominating I definitely think he will finish out the season in Portland,  It will be nice to see him challenged and hopefully evolve. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I'd consider moving him up to a team with a better defense soon, rather than see him get frustrated with his results as his teammates let him down (as apparently happened in his last start).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

That would be tough bill considering we already have 5 starters who all seem tobe pitching well

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

IMHO I think this year he will be between low and high A ball and in 2012 Ranaudo  will probably see AA and possibly AAA..As it stands right now, there will be 1 spot open in 2013...Could be his if he keeps progressing like he is..Anyway, I cant wait to see this kid develope. Solid pitching prospect.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

They did the right thing starting him off slow. Workman is at the same level but not doing as well. You never know at first and it's better to start slow to give them at least some confidence. If I remember correctly they've started Hernandez at a higher level and he has done well so far. They have really boosted their farm with the last draft IMO and some of the guys who were really struggling before are tearing it up now ( Jacobs, Brentz, Hassan...etc. )  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Another guy on that Greenville team who is starting to really emerge as a solid prospect is Brandon Jacobs. A strong case could be made for him as the breakthrough player of the year so far:

Lots of XBH and he's hitting .391 as of today. Getting on base and even stealing bases. Major "Jim Rice" type tools. Very small sample size but he looks like he is putting things together this year. As primarily a football player in the past he may develop a little slower but so far it looks like $800,000 well spent.

I hope they keep doing this sort of draftee. Perkins might be similar and they have other very toolsy high upside guys.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

When someone has that kind of size and talent, it's very important to challenge them early to become a true pitcher. That means the ability to change speeds, execute good breaking pitches, and become precise in the focus on specific locations. There is no way to just continuously overpower MLB hitters. It can be done in short segments of a career or a stretch of games, but it can't be done long. A lot of MLB hitters adjust and sit dead red and can drive any high 90's meatball out of the park. The adjustment  is in going from college and lower levels of minor league baseball and resisting the false belief that the current stuff and approach over the heart of the plate is good enough or that hitters won't know the stirke zone well enough to resist the temptation to swing at cheese. 

Because MLB is very competitive (only HOF'er dominate for stretches of their career and that's because they know how to pitch, not just try and overpower every hitter) each prospect must be humbled along the way. Only seeing is believing. The confidence levels must be tested early, and adjustments made to approach and commitment to get better on command, location and execution under duress. If a player is moved up too soon or too fast, his confidence could be damaged at a level that could be hard to restore. Early success that is short and followed by ineffectiveness can do permanent damage to a young player's confidence. Determination, resiliency, perserverence are character traits that have to be a part of a young player's mental makeup.

In competition, being able to bounce back from failure and excel is probably the most important test to pass. In golf, the hardest thing to do is to finish off a good round, when that first bad bounce reminds that it's not going to be that easy. But basebal is uniqure, other than Cricket, in that there is no clock or limit on pitches or length of a game or an inning. No other major sport requires resiliency quite like baseball. 

Talent is spotted early in life. It's not taught, it's a gift. Ranaudo has the talent to be a solid MLB pitcher. But the mental side of the game is where the confidence comes or destructs. Some young talent adjusts and handles the mental side better than guys who are even more talented. Understanding that is where the coaching has to handle a player's maturation process correctly.

Part of handling young talent in the digital high speed information age is to be close attention to public relations and handling public expectations. Some rare young talent handles lofty expectations well. Others do not. It is better to set the bar low, and point out how many top young talents have never succeeded with long MLB careers. As young players mature, some get better, some don't, and some stay the same. I play golf with a good friend who played in the U.S. Junion Amateur and beat Billy Andrade in junior golf. He never made it to the PGA Tour because he said he just never got better than he was as a junior golfer. Andrade did. It wasn't that he wasn't working at it, it's simply that the physical maturation process for young men isn't the same for all. Some mature early, others mature more slowly and later. This is why young talent evaluation is never a sure thing for players in their teens and early twenties. 

In reality, the odds are against Ranaudo becoming a long career top end of the rotation starter. But, given his exceptional young talent level, he has a shot to make it to that level. For that, the expectations are lofty and the odds against meeting those expecations. The Red Sox job is to counter fan expecations with reality and how any young player who simply has any staying power in the major leagues is beating the odds, no matter how talented they might be in junior and college and minor league baseball. 

If Ranaudo hits the majors before his mid twenties, then has staying power for a 5 year or more career as even a middle or lower part of the rotation, he has in fact beat the odds. It doesn't matter how much success he's had at the lower and younger player level, the odds are way against him being a top of the rotation career MLB pitcher. The scouting is better, but it can't eliminate the variables of maturity that come with youth to a mature young adult.

My own personal phrase for what great players do has always been quite simple. Great players do ordinary things under extraordinary circumstances. The Paul Bunyan stories are part of the hyperbole of sports. At the top levels of competition, there are quite a few players who share all the best physical gifts. But it is only those few who can execute under extraordinary circumstances who separate themselves from those just as phsyically talented. 

He has it, the cliche goes. Well, supra is what "it" is. I've studied competitive sports and played competitive sports all my life, and that's what "it" is. 

I've seen players who had "it" but who simply didn't have the phsyical gifts to advance to the big leagues. It is better to have the excpetional physical gifts, because mental toughness alone will not take a player very far. Eye-hand coordination is the #1 most important athletic gift. Size is important, but, other than speed (sprinters only), size is the most overrated single aspect of physical athletic talent.  

c   "BaseballGM"  Any use or transmission of this commentary without the express written permission of "BaseballGM' is strictly prohibited. Yes, I know this site belongs to the BG, but there are intellectual property laws that limit use or transmission without my permission.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

c   "BaseballGM"  Any use or transmission of this commentary without the express written permission of "BaseballGM' is strictly prohibited. Yes, I know this site belongs to the BG, but there are intellectual property laws that limit use or transmission without my permission
    GM

It is quotes like this that lead many to say that you are Softlaw.  Even if you are not, this is funny stuff.  No one wants to steal your material.  And if they did, you already clicked your rights away when you joined the forum.  If you did not agree to the terms and conditions, you would not be posting.  In other words, there is nothing you can do about anyone using anything of yours that they choose to.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In Response to Re: Going places? Sox top pitching prospect Anthony Ranaudo is making his case:
    Another guy on that Greenville team who is starting to really emerge as a solid prospect is Brandon Jacobs. A strong case could be made for him as the breakthrough player of the year so far: http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=571806 Lots of XBH and he's hitting .391 as of today. Getting on base and even stealing bases. Major "Jim Rice" type tools. Very small sample size but he looks like he is putting things together this year. As primarily a football player in the past he may develop a little slower but so far it looks like $800,000 well spent. I hope they keep doing this sort of draftee. Perkins might be similar and they have other very toolsy high upside guys.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this kid is a breakout candidate (Jacobs).  He looks like he could have some serious power at the MLB level.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

He'll be taking over Dice-K's spot at some point next year.  At the rate he's going, wouldn't be surprised to see him make a spot start or two this season.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc25. Show tc25's posts

better get him some gumbo, boudin & etouffee or it could be pabon

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: Going places? Sox top pitching prospect Anthony Ranaudo is making his case:
     I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this kid is a breakout candidate (Jacobs).  He looks like he could have some serious power at the MLB level.  
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]

I was going to post the wrong stats on this kid until I realized how good he was really doing..Only thing that worries me is the percentage of K's he has.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

He'll be taking over Dice-K's spot at some point next year.  At the rate he's going, wouldn't be surprised to see him make a spot start or two this season.
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988

Not going to happen SPC.  He will be allowed to develop at his own pace and not rushed to the show.  Could he come into play late in 2012?  Possibly, but there's no chance we see him called up this season.  It may have been a different story if he were on a major league deal, but he isn't.  No reason to start burning options on a pitcher in his first pro season, not to mention that he's only performed at this level against low A (non age appropriate) competition.  Hopefully he'll finish the season at AA and hopefully he'll be ready for 2013, but if he isn't the Sox should have the option of calling up Pimentel (on the 40) or Weiland (24 y/o in AAA, eligible for rule 5 draft after this season if not added to the 40) for spot starts should depth be needed beyond Doubront.or Aceves this season.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In Response to Re: Going places? Sox top pitching prospect Anthony Ranaudo is making his case :  I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this kid is a breakout candidate (Jacobs).  He looks like he could have some serious power at the MLB level.   Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh
    I was going to post the wrong stats on this kid until I realized how good he was really doing..Only thing that worries me is the percentage of K's he has.
    Posted by southpaw777

yeah me too, I mean you expect a higher K rate with excellent power, but it is still too high.  He is just 20 though, and just turned 20 at that and he seems to walk at a decent pace as well.  It's funny if you look at his stats this season in almost EVERY single at bat he's either hit, walked, or struck out.  Season is young too, hopefully he can keep up a healthy pace and slow down the strike outs, it will be interesting to watch. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

Send him as part of a package for Félix Hernández.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

m

• You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Send him as part of a package for Félix  Hernández.
    Posted by -EdithBunker-

In a heartbeat Edith...

• You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: Going places? Sox top pitching prospect Anthony Ranaudo is making his case : I was going to post the wrong stats on this kid until I realized how good he was really doing..Only thing that worries me is the percentage of K's he has. Posted by southpaw777
    yeah me too, I mean you expect a higher K rate with excellent power, but it is still too high.  He is just 20 though, and just turned 20 at that and he seems to walk at a decent pace as well.  It's funny if you look at his stats this season in almost EVERY single at bat he's either hit, walked, or struck out.  Season is young too, hopefully he can keep up a healthy pace and slow down the strike outs, it will be interesting to watch. 
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh

It sure will be interesting to watch, no doubt. The Sox have really done well in the draft and its going to start to show the next couple years. if these kids keep progressing like they are, they should have a top farm system by years end. Lots of talent down there. You would think that losing Kelly, Rizzo and Fuentes would hurt, but a bunch of these kids are really stepping up.
  •  

m

• You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Ellsbury was hyped to be the next Ted Williams...........

• You have chosen to ignore posts from wherescreamingcomesfrom. Show wherescreamingcomesfrom's posts

^
                                         l
                                         l

m

• Sections
    Shortcuts