Golden Eagles to post Tanaka

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Golden Eagles to post Tanaka

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

The Rakuten Golden Eagles have decided to post star pitcher Masahiro Tanaka, according to reports from Japanese outlets Sponichi (link) and Nikkan Sports (link).  It's a turnaround from reports last week that indicated the Golden Eagles were leaning against allowing Tanaka to make the jump to MLB.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Re: Golden Eagles to post Tanaka

The Yankees are coming!  The Yankees are coming!  (Let's hope he turns into a Dice K for them).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

The Yankees are coming!  The Yankees are coming!  (Let's hope he turns into a Dice K for them).

there will be many many teams in the race for Tanaka including the sox.

personally, i think the red sox should be very competitive in the Tanaka sweepstakes. if for no other reason than to drive the price up on the yankees and others.

From what i read, Tanaka projects to be a ToR pitcher and is surely an upgrade over dempster, doobie and peavy. Also with our Ace heading to market at the end of next season we need someone who can take over that ace role if Lester the molester bolts or the price goes too high. i'd go all in on Tanaka.

please no "dice-k was a flop so every other oriental pitcher must also be a flop" nonsense either. We heard plenty of that when Darvish and Ryu came stateside and not only is it extremely racist but also extremely inaccurate.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

What are you talking about mef?  Strange.  You're not quoting me there, and I'm offended by your remark suggesting racism.  Simply talking about a highly-touted Japanese pitcher who requires a mega-million posting fee and who has never pitched a game in MLB.  The situation is a unique financial gamble.  Darvish succeeded big time, Dice-K, while he had a nice season or two, was mostly a failure. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I have no doubt that Boston will be involved in the process, to what degree is another question entirely. I personally advocate they enter the fray to win the prize! No sense just driving up the price although that would be fun to watch, I have had a sneaky suspicion that the Sox signed Watanabe with Tanaka in mind. Where would Tanaka feel more comfortable pitching? In Boston where there are two other Japanese pitchers who are established in the bigs and the recently signed Japanese ledgend under contract also, or in a city where he would be booed out of the stadium nightly? I really think he would fit in this environment, better than any other teams present situations. the only other team I think he will consider is Seattle and the reason why is obvious, Nintendo owns the Mariners, and they are one of the powerhouses in  Japanese business, and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if they didn't already have a handshake deal in place with the owner of the Rakuten team to influence Tanaka's choice of teams.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

What are you talking about mef?  Strange.  You're not quoting me there, and I'm offended by your remark suggesting racism.  Simply talking about a highly-touted Japanese pitcher who requires a mega-million posting fee and who has never pitched a game in MLB.  The situation is a unique financial gamble.  Darvish succeeded big time, Dice-K, while he had a nice season or two, was mostly a failure. 

[/QUOTE]

just the very first part of my post was directed @ you. i didn't mean to imply you were being racist but that whenever threads about foreign talent pop up people always cite dice-k as a reason not to go after premium talent. i apologize for the mix-up SNM.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

just the very first part of my post was directed @ you. i didn't mean to imply you were being racist but that whenever threads about foreign talent pop up people always cite dice-k as a reason not to go after premium talent. i apologize for the mix-up SNM.

[/QUOTE]

no problemo mef :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tripleb2066. Show tripleb2066's posts

If he is anywhere near as good as they say, the Sox should really be in on this guy. Trade Dempster and Peavy if need be (although I like Peavy as a #5  starter).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

I have no doubt that Boston will be involved in the process, to what degree is another question entirely. I personally advocate they enter the fray to win the prize! No sense just driving up the price although that would be fun to watch, I have had a sneaky suspicion that the Sox signed Watanabe with Tanaka in mind. Where would Tanaka feel more comfortable pitching? In Boston where there are two other Japanese pitchers who are established in the bigs and the recently signed Japanese ledgend under contract also, or in a city where he would be booed out of the stadium nightly? I really think he would fit in this environment, better than any other teams present situations. the only other team I think he will consider is Seattle and the reason why is obvious, Nintendo owns the Mariners, and they are one of the powerhouses in  Japanese business, and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if they didn't already have a handshake deal in place with the owner of the Rakuten team to influence Tanaka's choice of teams.

With new posting system's maximum bid of 20M for all teams, basically the player and his agent can and will negotiate with every team who post the 20M, of which there will be at least half dozen or more, essentially making Tanaka a free agent. Which is a completely different dynamic than what was when Matsusaka and Darvish were posted. The player now has the leverage vs the team who won the bid, so while the posting fee is now lessened, the terms of the contract will likely be more in line with the top free agent pitchers. Given Tanaka's age and resume we might be talking 8 years /200M 

What gives me pause is his K/9 suggest that he's not an overpowering pitcher like Darvish was in Japan who's stuff translated to the big leagues and his k rate stayed about the same. due to his having more then one out pitch. Darvish has "swiss and miss stuff", Tanaka's top end fastball's velocity is in the low 90's and his out pitch is the splitter. Comparing him to Matsusaka is not an unfair comp, many think that he's closer to Kuroda than Darvish in terms of stuff. Matsusaka's biggest problem was that he didn't have an outpitch rather an assortment of quailty pitches and a questionable work ethic... I think projecting Tanaka as a top of the rotation starter might well be a gamble if pure stuff is the qualifier. He may well be as advertised but from the scouting reports I've read many project him to be solid #2 or #3. What's that worth in today's market? 18 to 20 million per? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Still going with the Yanks on this signing. Months I've been reading this was their plan. Need Starters bad. Small Posting Fee, they'll do something crazy, they always do.

Lot of Big name Pitchers going into Free Agency next year,(including Lester) with lots of money coming off the books for the Sox. Doubt the Sox will be in on this. Pretty sure their plan lets see how the kids do in the Minors, this coming year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Still going with the Yanks on this signing. Months I've been reading this was their plan. Need Starters bad. Small Posting Fee, they'll do something crazy, they always do.

Lot of Big name Pitchers going into Free Agency next year,(including Lester) with lots of money coming off the books for the Sox. Doubt the Sox will be in on this. Pretty sure their plan lets see how the kids do in the Minors, this coming year.

[/QUOTE]

Not sure that under the new posting procedures that the Yankees are the favorites given thier fiscal challenge to stay below the luxury threshold. Tanaka will command something north of 20M per and not sure the Yankees have the room given they need multiple starter's and a couple of quality bullpen arms...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

finally, after days of seemingly daily  conflicting reports.....the rest of any offseason moves by the teams should start to take shape...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not sure that under the new posting procedures that the Yankees are the favorites given thier fiscal challenge to stay below the luxury threshold. Tanaka will command something north of 20M per and not sure the Yankees have the room given they need multiple starter's and a couple of quality bullpen arms...

[/QUOTE] hey Beans..Happy Holidays..if not us, somehow i see  him landing in Texas or one the LA teams(Dodgers/Halos)...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] hey Beans..Happy Holidays..if not us, somehow i see  him landing in Texas or one the LA teams(Dodgers/Halos)...

[/QUOTE]

Merry Christmas Jete, He's definitely going to cost big bucks, and a lot of teams have the extra cash this year, which will jack up the competition.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

A-Rod situation, will really determine what the Yanks do. They'll Post the 20 million in a heartbeat.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to MikeNagy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Merry Christmas Jete, He's definitely going to cost big bucks, and a lot of teams have the extra cash this year, which will jack up the competition.

[/QUOTE] hey Mike...same to you..i agree...the Yanks aren't a slam dunk for Tanaka, i feel like they could be behind the 8-ball because they will be dealing from absolute need vs maybe others team that surely want him but could maybe afford to pass..i hope it's us but i still see him landing West

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I'm not sure there is anything wrong with that.  It doesn't imply that there is anything specifically wrong with Japanese people.  Dice is just the most well known of the Japanese flameouts.  If someone were to say they hope that the Ellsbury contract turns out to an ARod anchor for the Yanks, I don't thinks that implies racism.  Or if people used ARod as a reason not to give Pujols a 10-year contract, I'm not seeing a problem.

People used Crawford as an example not to sign Ellsbury long-term, and Zito was used for years as a reason to not sign SPs to long contracts.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

The Rakuten Golden Eagles have decided to post star pitcher Masahiro Tanaka, according to reports from Japanese outlets Sponichi (link) and Nikkan Sports (link).  It's a turnaround from reports last week that indicated the Golden Eagles were leaning against allowing Tanaka to make the jump to MLB.

Tanaka, Dice K. and Darvish were all basically the same age and had thrown comparible innings before hitting the majors.  The one difference I see as glaring may be the fact Tanaka and Darvish had better control so chances are Tanaka could have similar success to Darvish.

Japan Stats:

Darvish 1268 IP, 333 BB and 1250 SO's in 7 years

Tanaka 1315 IP, 275 BB and 1238 SO's in 7 years

Dice K. 1402 IP, 502 BB and 1353 SO's in 8 years

The Sox don't need pitching at the moment but they also have the money to make things interesting.  Landing Tanaka would also allow us to package a couple of young prospects around any choice of guys like Dempster, Lackey, Doubront, Peavy and Middy.  With a solid package we shouldn't have any problem landing a Stanton type player.  I think the Sox at the very least should make things as difficicult as possible for the Yankees.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Absolutely the Red Sox toss their name into the hat for a chance to acquire Tanaka.

He is a young pitcher who has had lots of success in Japan's best pro league that goes back before last season's 24-0 record.

He may be expensive, but for a young guy he may be worth the long term contract that he will certainly demand (and get).  Dempster and Peavy are expensive which just goes to show that pitching is expensive.

The Sox have two Japanese pitchers who seem to be quite happy in Boston so perhaps they could be used as recruiters for Tanaka.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to charliedarling's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Absolutely the Red Sox toss their name into the hat for a chance to acquire Tanaka.

He is a young pitcher who has had lots of success in Japan's best pro league that goes back before last season's 24-0 record.

He may be expensive, but for a young guy he may be worth the long term contract that he will certainly demand (and get).  Dempster and Peavy are expensive which just goes to show that pitching is expensive.

The Sox have two Japanese pitchers who seem to be quite happy in Boston so perhaps they could be used as recruiters for Tanaka.

[/QUOTE]

I agree.  I'd have our pitchers talk to him, then offer him $75M/5.  If nothing else, it will stir up the bidding a little.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

"It's about time he got posted.  Can somebody please hurry up and sign him?"

-Garza, Arroyo, Santana, etc.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Happy Holidays,

There are a few teams that have the resources to make him a very wealthy young man...I would add the Cub's and Phillies to your list and wouldn't rule out the Red Sox either...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We should try hard to land this gem.

Pitching, pitching, pitching!

Signing Tanaka would allow us to get something very nice for one of our current starters.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Rather go all out in Kershaw next year.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We should try hard to land this gem.

Pitching, pitching, pitching!

Signing Tanaka would allow us to get something very nice for one of our current starters.

[/QUOTE]

Not sure I would break the bank for him....but would certainly kick the tires...

Sections
Shortcuts