Golden Eagles to post Tanaka

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Golden Eagles to post Tanaka

In response to Beantowne's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

We should try hard to land this gem.

Pitching, pitching, pitching!

Signing Tanaka would allow us to get something very nice for one of our current starters.

Not sure I would break the bank for him....but would certainly kick the tires...

I'd come close to breaking the bank, and if we trade away Peavy and Dempster the cost would be less for 2014. We lose a lot of salary after 2014.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

Signing Tanaka would allow us to get something very nice for one of our current starters.

Not sure I would break the bank for him....but would certainly kick the tires...

I'd come close to breaking the bank, and if we trade away Peavy and Dempster the cost would be less for 2014. We lose a lot of salary after 2014.

Call me a skeptic, but I just don't like what I've read about the guys stuff. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

20+ million a year on guy who never threw a Major League Pitch, you better be right. I'm sure Lester will like it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Yanks will overpay...they need him more

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:

Not sure the Yanks are in a position to overpay...unless they decide the penalty they'd pay due to the luxury threshold is no longer an issue. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Yeah, I think the yanks are short on cash. Penalty would break them, and have to move the franchise to Syracuse

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soph. Show Soph's posts

I would like for us to extend Jon Lester before pursuing Tanaka, if possible.

$20 Million seems like a chump change .....teams can simply post and drive up the price of the target. Any thought as to posting fee plus say $500k non refindable amount for posting? This way only serious players need to apply. Just a thought.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

YUP!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Soph's comment:

I would like for us to extend Jon Lester before pursuing Tanaka, if possible.

$20 Million seems like a chump change .....teams can simply post and drive up the price of the target. Any thought as to posting fee plus say $500k non refindable amount for posting? This way only serious players need to apply. Just a thought.

$500K is chump change, but your idea is noteworthy.

Some teams might drive up the price, but that happens often anyways.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lurking. Show lurking's posts

If it comes down to $$$, NYY will get him. If something like Japanese community, owners, west coast, or whatever factors in,  LAD or SEA might snag him. Don't see the Sox as big players. They have lots of pitchers and had big success with their mid level signings last year. As far as NYY being short of money, don't kid yourself.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soph. Show Soph's posts

Fantasy baseball for me

Sign Tanaka

Trade Dempster/Peavy for Kemp

Trade Bradley, Nava, Doubront and 3 high prospects for Stanton

rotation...Lester, Buchholtz, Tanaka, Lackey, Workman

line up..Victorino, Dustin, Kemp, Oriz, Napoli, Stanton, Xander, Middlebrooks, Ross/AJ..

$$$$ for 2014 would be about the same....Napoli, Victorino would come off the books after 2015, AJ after 2014......can't see extending Ortiz beyond 2015

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

Rather go all out in Kershaw next year.

no way dodgers let kershaw hit the market....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

Masahiro Tanaka - S -  Player

According to Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News, there is a January 24 signing deadline on Masahiro Tanaka.

Tanaka will officially be posted by the Rakuten Golden Eagles on Thursday morning and any major league team can then submit a $20 million posting fee for the right to negotiate with him. The bidding war that ensues will have a winner by 5:00 p.m. ET on January 24. Some of baseball's richest clubs are expected to make a run at the 25-year-old right-hander, who is almost certain to land more than $100 million in guaranteed money. He recently selected Casey Close to be his agent.   

ok i see the 24th as the date for signning him...but what is the date to know who won the bidding to sign him? the winning team should have time to sign him right?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

The Rakuten Golden Eagles have decided to post star pitcher Masahiro Tanaka, according to reports from Japanese outlets Sponichi (link) and Nikkan Sports (link).  It's a turnaround from reports last week that indicated the Golden Eagles were leaning against allowing Tanaka to make the jump to MLB.

When mlb players go to  japan they should post a signing fee .They are better then those players oner there even at older age.What makes Japan or other countries so much better . They can shove the posting fee where the sun don't shine.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

Rather go all out in Kershaw next year.

no way dodgers let kershaw hit the market....

He'd be crazy to sign extension now. Your looking at first 30+ guy. Tanaka is going to change many Free Agent Pitchers salaries.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:

The Rakuten Golden Eagles have decided to post star pitcher Masahiro Tanaka, according to reports from Japanese outlets Sponichi (link) and Nikkan Sports (link).  It's a turnaround from reports last week that indicated the Golden Eagles were leaning against allowing Tanaka to make the jump to MLB.

When mlb players go to  japan they should post a signing fee .They are better then those players oner there even at older age.What makes Japan or other countries so much better . They can shove the posting fee where the sun don't shine.

ML players that go to Japan are not under a ML teams' control.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to billge's comment:

Yeah, I think the yanks are short on cash. Penalty would break them, and have to move the franchise to Syracuse

please no!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

ML players that go to Japan are not under a ML teams' control.

If they are the team sells his contract to Japanese ie Kevin Millar.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...and most that go are over the hill.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

The posting fee releases the player from his contractual obligation. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

According to Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News, there is a January 24 signing deadline on Masahiro Tanaka.

Tanaka will officially be posted by the Rakuten Golden Eagles on Thursday morning and any major league team can then submit a $20 million posting fee for the right to negotiate with him. The bidding war that ensues will have a winner by 5:00 p.m. ET on January 24. Some of baseball's richest clubs are expected to make a run at the 25-year-old right-hander, who is almost certain to land more than $100 million in guaranteed money. He recently selected Casey Close to be his agent.   

ok i see the 24th as the date for signning him...but what is the date to know who won the bidding to sign him? the winning team should have time to sign him right?

new rules no one wins the bid

as many teams who agree to the posting price are in

the eagles set the price at the max- 20 mil

the player is then treated as a FA

with only the signing team kicking the 20 mil back to the eagles

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:

in your world

when it comes 2 big time FA

is there a difference between overpaying and paying the most

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

new rules no one wins the bid

as many teams who agree to the posting price are in

the eagles set the price at the max- 20 mil

the player is then treated as a FA

with only the signing team kicking the 20 mil back to the eagles

thanks...so this signning could go fast...but all the teams can agree to the posting price just to be in the bidding..so this might take all the way to the 24th...it just seems silly...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

What are you talking about mef?  Strange.  You're not quoting me there, and I'm offended by your remark suggesting racism.  Simply talking about a highly-touted Japanese pitcher who requires a mega-million posting fee and who has never pitched a game in MLB.  The situation is a unique financial gamble.  Darvish succeeded big time, Dice-K, while he had a nice season or two, was mostly a failure. 

just the very first part of my post was directed @ you. i didn't mean to imply you were being racist but that whenever threads about foreign talent pop up people always cite dice-k as a reason not to go after premium talent. i apologize for the mix-up SNM.

Pitchers who struggled from Japan can be cited as an example to Tanaka possibly struggling here (the adjustment from competitive Japan to MLB, it isn't adjusting from France baseball to MLB is it?)

A Japanese pitcher making the jump, and the huge posting fee's, make it impossible not to bring in Dice or Darvish or Nomo into the conversation as basis of discussion for risk/reward of bidding/signing on a Japanese pitcher. Racist? lol. 

You should never have used the word 'racism" at all. 

How you arrived so quickly at racism is beyond me.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to billge's comment:

NYY are not short on cash; but if they don't get under the 189 Mil limit, they will pay prohibitive penalties for yrs to come.

Sections
Shortcuts