Golden Eagles to post Tanaka

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Re: Golden Eagles to post Tanaka

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

i think we have a  legit shot at landing tanaka. and for those of you saying "why would we pay all that money for a guy who has never thrown a pitch in the mlb?" see: darvish, yu Tanaka will almost certainly be more like darvish than dice k. I am starting to think that the reason why the sox have been so quiet this offseason is because they were waiting for tanaka. Signing him not only takes the best starter off the market, it creates more of a market for one of our starters that we are looking to deal. (also it would keep him away from the yankees)

[/QUOTE]

And you know this....how? Its a complete crapshoot. This is a guy, like many Japanese pitchers, who enjoyed success in Japan and migrated to MLB here. Some have succeeded; some have failed (see: DiceK, Igawa etc). How Tanaka will do is anyone's guess. Its a huge risk to get into a bidding war for him. I would rather let other teams try to outbid each other for his services.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

i think we have a  legit shot at landing tanaka. and for those of you saying "why would we pay all that money for a guy who has never thrown a pitch in the mlb?" see: darvish, yu Tanaka will almost certainly be more like darvish than dice k. I am starting to think that the reason why the sox have been so quiet this offseason is because they were waiting for tanaka. Signing him not only takes the best starter off the market, it creates more of a market for one of our starters that we are looking to deal. (also it would keep him away from the yankees)

[/QUOTE]

And you know this....how? Its a complete crapshoot. This is a guy, like many Japanese pitchers, who enjoyed success in Japan and migrated to MLB here. Some have succeeded; some have failed (see: DiceK, Igawa etc). How Tanaka will do is anyone's guess. Its a huge risk to get into a bidding war for him. I would rather let other teams try to outbid each other for his services.

[/QUOTE]

I agree. my opinion might differ if the Sox weren't already 6 deep with proven big league starters...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I agree. my opinion might differ if the Sox weren't already 6 deep with proven big league starters...

Since we could easily get a nice prospect for Peavy and probably a little something for Dempster, we really should look at this like would we rather have this or that:

Peavy & Dempster at $27.25M for 2014 then maybe a comp pick for Peavy after 2014.

or

Tanaka at $15-20M x 5-7 years and a nice prospect or two from trading our SP'ers.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to billge's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yeah, I think the yanks are short on cash. Penalty would break them, and have to move the franchise to Syracuse

[/QUOTE]

NYY are not short on cash; but if they don't get under the 189 Mil limit, they will pay prohibitive penalties for yrs to come.

[/QUOTE]

NYY short on cash?  Yeah and I got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell ya.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luxury_tax_(sports)

Yanks went over the Luxury tax every year since it was invented in 2003.  Last year they were hit with a $28 million luxury tax bill.  They average being over the Luxury tax and having to pay about the same amount every season with it getting up to as high as $34 million a decade ago.  If the Yanks see an opportunity to sn@tch up a front line starter without having to give up a draft pick or trade talent then they will do so.  I fully expect that they will bid and bid hard for Tanaka since they have no other choice this year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Yeah, I think the yanks are short on cash. Penalty would break them, and have to move the franchise to Syracuse

[/QUOTE]

NYY are not short on cash; but if they don't get under the 189 Mil limit, they will pay prohibitive penalties for yrs to come.

[/QUOTE]

Yanks went over the Luxury tax every year since it was invented in 2003.  Last year they were hit with a $28 million luxury tax bill.  They average being over the Luxury tax and having to pay about the same amount every season with it getting up to as high as $34 million a decade ago.  If the Yanks see an opportunity to sn@tch up a front line starter without having to give up a draft pick or trade talent then they will do so.  I fully expect that they will bid and bid hard for Tanaka since they have no other choice this year.

[/QUOTE]

I agree, but after figuring in the luxury tax, their bidding might be limited by how much they think he is worth to them.

It's not about just outbidding everyone for every good player. The Yanks will have a price of what they think Tanaka is worth to them. That price will include the tax. Other teams will not include that tax, and so maybe they can go higher or close to the yanks offer, and the NY income tax may tilt the decision another way.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

I hope Uehara and Tazawa have decent things to say to Tanaka about the Sox organization because I have my doubts whether DiceK will...considering his difference in conditioning philosophy etc.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree, but after figuring in the luxury tax, their bidding might be limited by how much they think he is worth to them.

It's not about just outbidding everyone for every good player. The Yanks will have a price of what they think Tanaka is worth to them. That price will include the tax. Other teams will not include that tax, and so maybe they can go higher or close to the yanks offer, and the NY income tax may tilt the decision another way.

[/QUOTE]

He is the difference between the Yanks contending for a playoff spot and missing it.  I have seen figures thrown about around the $50-$60 million mark if the Yankees miss the playoffs again next year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Since we could easily get a nice prospect for Peavy and probably a little something for Dempster, we really should look at this like would we rather have this or that:

Peavy & Dempster at $27.25M for 2014 then maybe a comp pick for Peavy after 2014.

or

Tanaka at $15-20M x 5-7 years and a nice prospect or two from trading our SP'ers.

[/QUOTE]

Tanaka at $15-20M for 5-7 years? Without him ever throwing a single ML pitch here? No thanks. Not even close to what I would offer him. I would not go over 4 years and maybe $12M per year max. Let him prove himself first. We do not need any more albatrosses.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

For some odd reason I don't completely understand, this yr is different. If they get under the threshold in 2014, they are on a clean slate in 2015. At least, that's what I've read. Perhaps someone can clarify, and whether or not I'm even right.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

For some odd reason I don't completely understand, this yr is different. If they get under the threshold in 2014, they are on a clean slate in 2015. At least, that's what I've read. Perhaps someone can clarify, and whether or not I'm even right.

[/QUOTE]

I dont think the rules have changed Steven....get under the Cap in any given year and you reset your tax rate back to 17.5%(on every dollar spent over the Cap) on the next time you go over the Cap.....30% the second time, 40% the 3rd time and 50% thereafter....but that is years in a row....stay under in any year and you reset back to the 17.5% rate.

The Yankess may just look at it, that this year they stay close to the Cap....say with 10mm....whihc would cost them only an additional 5MM at 50% and would have cost, 1.75MM at 17.5%.....as long as they stay close every year they can clearly afford it......and then they can reset next year when Wlls is 21mm and Sorianos 18MM come off.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Though I didnt check.....and the Yankees may not be paying alot of Wells and Sorianos Salary.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

• Sherman also runs down a list of eight teams that he feels to be the Yankees' most serious competition for Tanaka: the DodgersAngelsRed SoxPhilliesRangers,CubsDiamondbacks and Mariners.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

This was a repeat post I deleted, sorry.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

Yankees have two things, money and desperation.

What happens to Arod will have absolutely no impact on what the Yankees will offer Tanaka.

Hi TWM,

I will be very surprised if Tanaka does not end up with the Yankees.  Even though the Yankees have landed some very good players, outside of signing McCann, their offseason moves have been a little puzzling, IMO.  The combination of money and desperation can do this to a team, I suppose.

I believe that the Yankees were very sincere and serious last offseason in their quest to get under the luxury tax.  After missing the playoffs, however, they quickly abandoned that plan.  As others have pointed out, the Yankees stand to lose about as much in not making the playoffs as they do in not getting under the luxury tax.

IMO, if the Yankees do not sign Tanaka, the signings of McCann, Ellsbury, and Beltran will more or less have been for naught.  I think they will be going all out to sign him.  I personally am not happy to hear that he has been posted.

Hello Kimmi,

I personally think that the belly aching by a few of the smaller organizations in MLB is the primary reason why the posting format was changed for Tanaka, particularly vocal was the GM of the Pirates. 

The format used previous was no problem when Dice and Yu Darvish were posted but that the Yankees like this guy and are desperate for pitching, presto time to change things.

All of us speculating not personally knowing where this guy would like to play if in fact he has a preference (which he may have).

Funny how all of these guys (free agents) sound alike during their intro "I've always wanted to be here in this uniform, bla bla bla" wearing their new jersey like reading from the same script when all of us would welcome a bit of honesty if just one of them would admit that "hey I did it for the money".

I agree the Yankees are desperate for pitching as there is nothing worth a big investment on the free agent market and Tanaka gets hugh grades from all of the scouts and is still quite young.

The different scouts I've read are quite high on Tanaka however that wasn't true of Igawa, his signing I always believed to be a knee jerk response from the Yankees to the Dice-K signing when early on Dice was pitching well. I've always wondered if it wasn't a Levine idea.

We'll all just have to sit back and watch this story unfold and if either of our clubs is the big winner (or loser) the winning side will hope that it works out in the best interests of our respective teams.

But any these Int'l signings are always a crap shoot. For every El Duque there are quite a few fat toads.

By the same token there are a few clubs who would like to redo their decisions on Puig, Cespedes, Chapman and Darvish.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

18.6 paid by Angels of 21 million for Wells
    13 million by Cubs of 18 million for Soriano
    Both for 2014.

Cubs got a pretty Good Pitching Prospect for Soriano

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soph. Show Soph's posts

Yankees are counting on not having to pay and count A Rod's salary of $26,000,000 towards the luxury tax limit In 2014. I'm not sure how realistic that is given that A Rod will do whatever it takes to prolong the uncertainty by taking the issue through the court system.

Kuroda (16M), Jeter (12M) and Ichiro (6.5M) will come off the books after 2014 but the Yankees will have to replace both Kuroda and Jeter through free agency. Probably not much savings there since there doesn't appear to be replacements coming through the farm system

Yankees need starting pitching...even with luxury tax looming, it makes sense for them to go after Tanaka.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

I find it interesting that almost everybody including the experts see Tanaka as a number 2-3. Almost nobody mentions him as a number 1 or even as a possible number 1.

Compare him to two former Japanese starters, Hisashi Iwakuma and Hiroki Kuroda. Tanaka has better stuff then both. Better velocity then both, especially Iwakuma. And much better stats and perfomance then both in Japan. Not really comparable. Tanaka is also much younger with some upside still possible, where as Kuroda is old. Yet Hisashi Iwakuma and Hiroki Kuroda last year were number 1's.

Based on everything I have seen, he looks like the 12th to 15th best starter next year. What would that be worth if he was a free agent 25 year old? 6-24 seems very reasonable to me. I think he will get 20+ million plus the 20 posting fee.

I doubt the Red Sox will get him. It would force them to trade both Dempster and Peavy or go over the tax, plus it would affect the Lester's of the world too much.

Hopefully nobody in the A.L. East gets him.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

COMPARING STATS FROM JAPAN WHEN PITCHING AT 24 YEARS OLD PITCHER,

YEAR W-L, ERA WHIP K/9 - BB/9

Masahiro Tanaka, 2013 24-0, 1.27 0.943 7.8 - 1.4

Yu Darvish,           2011 18-6, 1.44 0.828 10.7 - 1.4

Hiroki Kuroda,      1999 5-8, 6.78 1.654 5.6 - 4.0

Koji Uehara,        1999 20-4, 2.09 0.895 8.2 - 1.1

Hideo Nomo,       1993 17-12, 3.70 1.434 10.2 - 5.5

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

I don't know if this a sign or not, but Tanaka has signed with Jeter's agent. No matter. Even if the NYY sign him, this is still the worst NYY team in over 20 yrs; signing him would spell an improvement however, but not enough to counteract all the chinks in their rusted disjointed pricey armor.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

I don't know if this a sign or not, but Tanaka has signed with Jeter's agent. No matter. Even if the NYY sign him, this is still the worst NYY team in over 20 yrs; signing him would spell an improvement however, but not enough to counteract all the chinks in their rusted disjointed pricey armor.

[/QUOTE]

for the yanks to have any success, they need to sign tanaka and puzzle hitters, CC to return to ace form, kuroda to get better with age and nova to improve on a solid year. without that then it really doesnt matter if jacoby/Mcann hit 75 HRs between them they'd still be bad.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

for the yanks to have any success, they need to sign tanaka and puzzle hitters, CC to return to ace form, kuroda to get better with age and nova to improve on a solid year. without that then it really doesnt matter if jacoby/Mcann hit 75 HRs between them they'd still be bad.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not counting on it. IMO, they are the most expensive 500 team in history; unless you consider the NY Knicks.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to BMav's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I find it interesting that almost everybody including the experts see Tanaka as a number 2-3. Almost nobody mentions him as a number 1 or even as a possible number 1.

Compare him to two former Japanese starters, Hisashi Iwakuma and Hiroki Kuroda. Tanaka has better stuff then both. Better velocity then both, especially Iwakuma. And much better stats and perfomance then both in Japan. Not really comparable. Tanaka is also much younger with some upside still possible, where as Kuroda is old. Yet Hisashi Iwakuma and Hiroki Kuroda last year were number 1's.

Based on everything I have seen, he looks like the 12th to 15th best starter next year. What would that be worth if he was a free agent 25 year old? 6-24 seems very reasonable to me. I think he will get 20+ million plus the 20 posting fee.

I doubt the Red Sox will get him. It would force them to trade both Dempster and Peavy or go over the tax, plus it would affect the Lester's of the world too much.

[/QUOTE]

At the risk of sounding redundant again, this guy has thrown ZERO pitches in the majors-or even in the minors for that matter. Pitching is different in Japan. Thats why so many pitchers who were successful over there come over here and flop. Not everyone, but a lot of them. To annoint him as the "12th to 15th best starter in baseball" is absurd. All he has right now is potential; he has proven nothing. For my part, I would rather that others take the risk if his contract is long in years or rich in dollars. Its possible that he may be a great pitcher someday, but I would not be willing to risk an expensive contract given our SP staff and the guys in our minor league system. Let the Yankees or some other desperate team go after him.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

At the risk of sounding redundant again, this guy has thrown ZERO pitches in the majors-or even in the minors for that matter. Pitching is different in Japan. Thats why so many pitchers who were successful over there come over here and flop. Not everyone, but a lot of them. To annoint him as the "12th to 15th best starter in baseball" is absurd. All he has right now is potential; he has proven nothing. For my part, I would rather that others take the risk if his contract is long in years or rich in dollars. Its possible that he may be a great pitcher someday, but I would not be willing to risk an expensive contract given our SP staff and the guys in our minor league system. Let the Yankees or some other desperate team go after him.

[/QUOTE]

that's small market thinking PG. the sox are not a small market team and should not operate like one. they can afford to take bigger gambles than the oakland A's or Devil Rays...

is the payoff (adding a 25 year old pitcher with ace potential) worth the risk (5-7 years at 80-100M)? that's up for debate. but the sox would be crazy not to make a serious run for this guy.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

that's small market thinking PG. the sox are not a small market team and should not operate like one. they can afford to take bigger gambles than the oakland A's or Devil Rays...

is the payoff (adding a 25 year old pitcher with ace potential) worth the risk (5-7 years at 80-100M)? that's up for debate. but the sox would be crazy not to make a serious run for this guy.

[/QUOTE]

I am not saying to ignore him MEF. If we can get him at a reasonable price, given that he IS a gamble, then sure, lets do it. I doubt that if we offered him four years and $12M that would produce a winning bid, but for me, thats about what is worth to roll the dice on him. We already have six SP and several more in the wings. We do not need to roll the dice on an unknown right now. The Yankees have to gamble more because their SP is not in good shape, nor is their farm system likely to produce any immediate help. We have other needs this year that may need to be addressed by the trading deadline: CF and 3B right now are question marks. I would rather save the money and add a needed part later on, if the need is there.

Sections
Shortcuts