Gomes? Really?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Gomes? Really?

Another stellar move by Mr incompetent. 10M for a has-been that has hands of steel on defense and can't hit a lick. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Re: Gomes? Really?

Gomes has not been totally terrible in all phases of his carerr, but I agree that the 10M is a big overpay att his time of the off season.   One year for 3M would have been a lot more realistic, or maybe two years for 5M.

This could have been easily the Sox bidding against themselves as I doubt that any other team was going to give this guy a 400% raise from his last salary.

If I was Gomes, I would already be in Boston and standing in line to get that physical and sign that contract BEFORE someone comes to his senses in the front office and cancels this offer.

I would much rather have seen Cody Ross get 14M for two years, and that would also have been an overpayment deal.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Kinda late to the party, ike.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

The 82 message Gomes thread didn't work for you? Your depth of analysis required a new thread?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The 82 message Gomes thread didn't work for you? Your depth of analysis required a new thread?

[/QUOTE]

Hello BostonTrollSpanker, I like your avatar.    :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I think this thread falls in the category of 'A day late and a dollar short'.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Has-been? He's never been.

I like the guy though, he reminds me of Trot in a way. I smell another platoon in the outfield.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think this thread falls in the category of 'A day late and a dollar short'.

[/QUOTE]

It's called 'Ike wants to whine, and wants you to pay attention to him'.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Another Gomes thread? Really?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

My only post in 24 hours: why did u start another thread on the subject and with such little to no real input?

u should be banned for 30 days for being dumb.

Happy Thanksgiving!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Another stellar move by Mr incompetent. 10M for a has-been that has hands of steel on defense and can't hit a lick. 

[/QUOTE]

I'm reluctant to reply because increasingly you've appeared to a p1sstaking timewaster.

First, do you think this and D. Ross are the Sox' - Ben's - signature moves of the offseason? If so, think again....that's absurd, but surely you know that.

Second, Gomes' OPS was .868 last year, .974 vs LHP....playing at home in a pitcher's park.  Home OPS .987, road OPS .764.  I don't have immediate access to home/road platoon splits, but it hardly matters, does it?

If he nears that, and he may not....we have a HOF-level batting performance against LHP from left field.....maybe even better from home.  St. Yaz the Overrated only exceeded .974 (overall) in 2 out of 23 seasons....on average was 150 points below that.

And all at the price of 60% of Cody (whom I also would like us to sign, despite the same defensive deficiencies as Gomes).  So we need Sweeney too.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

seeking a little attention again? You didnt have to start yet another thread on this subject since there are already a couple. And theyve been here for a few days now...I agree with Enchilada T...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

Just to chime in  Gomes BA in 2011 was .209, 2008 it was .187, 2006 it was .216.......So this is worth a 10million dollar contract. I hope he doesn't revert back to those years.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Mchampion's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Just to chime in  Gomes BA in 2011 was .209, 2008 it was .187, 2006 it was .216.......So this is worth a 10million dollar contract. I hope he doesn't revert back to those years.

[/QUOTE]

Theres a lot more to someone than batting average. He murders LHP and is basically Cody Ross at more than half the price and 1 less year. Both arent very good defensivly, but LF should help that a bit. He also has a great swing for Fenway and by all accounts is a great clubhouse guy..

He will be platooned with Kalish is my guess...Reports said there were a few teams talking with him including a couple contenders. Sox overpaid a little, but 10M over 2 years isnt a big deal to achieve what they wanted. A power RH bat that hits LHP good.

Ross wants 3/25 and the Sox only wanted to go 2 years and maybe 10-12M...They achieved that and like I said, basically got the same player.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Theres a lot more to someone than batting average.

[/QUOTE]

True southpaw but it does tell u something about the player.  Lets hope he is at least the player he was last year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

True southpaw but it does tell u something about the player.  Lets hope he is at least the player he was last year.

[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I edited my post after you responded. I think it was a bit of an overpay, but a good move. Like D. Ross.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So $25mill to Cody Ross would have been the wiser way to spend?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

My only post in 24 hours: why did u start another thread on the subject and with such little to no real input?

Happy Thanksgiving!

[/QUOTE]

Will he be less dumb in 30 days?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Happy Thanksgiving!

[/QUOTE]

Will he be less dumb in 30 days?

[/QUOTE]

No, but at least we will get a break :)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

In 2011, a poor season by Gomes' modest standards, his OBP was still .325 and vs LHP  he was .311/.407/.456/.863.  Against LHP he is great.  His career OPS vs LHP is .894!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

wow sonics and with one starting left-handed pitcher each series he will be awesome! now tell me about how he will do against the right-handed starters that make up 4/5 of most rotations in baseball?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]Again you are clueless. 

Ross and Gomes are pretty much the same player.

There is good reason why both are so well traveled.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]

wow sonics and with one starting left-handed pitcher each series he will be awesome! now tell me about how he will do against the right-handed starters that make up 4/5 of most rotations in baseball?

[/QUOTE]

exactly ET....this move is beyond Ben dumb....we have a guy named Cody Ross who can hit, is barely past 30, plays hard, and has done well in Fenway....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

exactly ET....this move is beyond Ben dumb....we have a guy named Cody Ross who can hit, is barely past 30, plays hard, and has done well in Fenway....

[/QUOTE]Gomes and Ross are very close in age, neither hits righties very well. Oh yea, I don't see either winning a GG anytime soon. Both players are marginal and why anyone gets excited about either being on the Sox is crazy.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]Gomes and Ross are very close in age, neither hits righties very well. Oh yea, I don't see either winning a GG anytime soon. Both players are marginal and why anyone gets excited about either being on the Sox is crazy.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly HH. Ross and Gomes' splits are almost identical vs RHP and LHP. Both are an adventure when it comes to defense, but Gomes will be in LF not RF. Both play hard and are great clubhouse guys. only difference is Gomes is 1 year and 15M less and is a more patient hitter who will see more pitches.

Sections
Shortcuts