Gomes - Sox agree on 2-year 10 mil deal

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Gomes - Sox agree on 2-year 10 mil deal

The Chronicle is reporting that Gomes and the Sox have just agreed to a 2 year/10 million deal.

http://blog.sfgate.com/athletics/2012/11/21/red-sox-working-to-sign-gomes/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Re: Gomes - Sox agree on 2-year 10 mil deal

Too much, IMO.  2/8 would have been my upper limit.  That said, it is far less than Ross for a very similar skill set.  And at least 20 million a year less than Hamilton is likely to get paid. 

Here's hoping Fenway maximizes his strengths, and that Farrell will use him most effectively.  In which case he will be a very good 4th OFer/spare DH/much needed potent pinch-hitter (and somewhat of an expensive one, at that).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Just seems a strange thing to fill in the bench before firming up the actual lineup...but I will reserve final judgement until I see them in April.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

I hear you traven.  On the other hand, you get the best bench by getting out there early, rather than waiting to see what scraps are there for the picking in February and March.  Besides, the real big FA targets are still out there (Bourn, Upton, Hamilton). 

Offense is not really the worry for this team.  Pitching is what needs to be improved.  They've consistently had one of the top offenses in all of baseball the last 4 years, and have precisely 0 playoff wins in all that time.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Which is my way of saying I don't mind short money and short deals to fill out the lineup until the youngsters develop, as long as the money saved is used to fix what really ails this team:  wretched starting pitching and inconsistent bullpen performance (particularly late in the season).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

The Sox bullpen was actually outstanding last year, and really, the main problem was overwork.  Bailey was not good, but he was also coming off an injury.   The bullpen is actually the least of their concenrs, and actually could be considered an are of surpus.

Starting pitching is another matter.  Four spots are pretty much etched in stone, and the fifthe name should be the interesting one...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Another weird head-scratching contract, the dude is Average with a capital A.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In 2010 he was MONEY for he Reds--as clutch as they come, especially in the first half. But, in 2011 the magic abandoned him, and he never could recapture it. He's a high energy guy, wild eyed, crazy as a lune and will run through a wall. The only question is, can get back to where he was two years ago? If this signing means the Sox are not going to sign Ross, Id be concerned because Gomes could be lighting in a bottle, or NOT, and I wouldnt want to be left with no contengency.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthomas43. Show mthomas43's posts

Deal makes no sense.  Should either go young or spend money on impact guys.  This looks like more of the same we have seen over the last 5 years.  So far color me unimpressed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Overpay for Gomes at 5M per year unless he can drive in nearly a hundred runs and hit 20 HRs which he will likely not do as there are just not enough opportunities against left handed pitching during the course of the season.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

In response to notin's comment:

The Sox bullpen was actually outstanding last year, and really, the main problem was overwork.  Bailey was not good, but he was also coming off an injury.   The bullpen is actually the least of their concenrs, and actually could be considered an are of surpus.

Starting pitching is another matter.  Four spots are pretty much etched in stone, and the fifthe name should be the interesting one...

Notin just being notin.

To call the Sox bullpen outstanding last year is at best an overstatement.  Morales was effective more often than not, before filling in as a starter and Miller was outstanding for about half the year, then so-so.  Atchison was very good throughout, though he had to take a bit of time off, as were Hill (when available) and Tazawa (once promoted).  But Padilla, Aceves, Bard, Carpenter, Thomas, Beato, Melancon, Bailey and McDonald pitched over 220 innings (over 24 complete games worth) and all had ERAs north of 4.50 (with Aceves over 5.00 and he was the stopper!!), and all but Padilla with ERAs over 5.00.  Nothing outstanding about that.

Is the bullpen a strength in the sense that the Sox could afford to use some of their relievers as trade bait?   Yes.  The Sox have more decent arms than they can use at any one time, and probably should trade some off if they can get value in return.  Is it the least of their worries?  Hardly.  Anyone who does not think the Sox need to find a closer AND at least one dependable set-up man (whether that is done in ST with the arms and talent available, or through trade and/or FA signing) wasn't paying attention last season. 

Aceves, in the role of closer, lost 10 games and blew 8 saves.  Turn just half of those into wins and the Sox are pretty much a .500 club.  Add in the 4 losses and 8 blown saves that Bailey, Melancon and Padilla contributed, and turn half of those into wins; now the Sox are better than .500 on the season without improving their rotation at all.  They need to improve their  bullpen.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

In 2010 he was MONEY for he Reds--as clutch as they come, especially in the first half. But, in 2011 the magic abandoned him, and he never could recapture it. He's a high energy guy, wild eyed, crazy as a lune and will run through a wall. The only question is, can get back to where he was two years ago? If this signing means the Sox are not going to sign Ross, Id be concerned because Gomes could be lighting in a bottle, or NOT, and I wouldnt want to be left with no contengency.

The Sox are definitely going to go out and get one more OFer.  It may not be Ross, but Gomes is NOT the end of their efforts to improve their OF.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Gomes averages 28 Hrs per 650 PAs vs LHPs and 29 vs RHPs, but his OBP drops a ton: .382 to .307. 

Although Ross would probably have been better than Gomes vs LHPs, Gomes is probably about the same vs RHPs (career .223/.307/.425/.732).

Ross vs RHPs (.253/.312/.415/.727).

If Ross ends up getting close to what he is asking for, the Gomes deal looks better.

I think Ross might regret not staying in Boston, in terms of production levels.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mvpyouk20. Show mvpyouk20's posts

I like the deal. Look at it this way;would you rather give Hunter 13 million a year or 5 million to Gomes, who is younger and I think if given the same opportunity as Ross, will do just fine. Hunter is by far more superior of the defensive side but with Gomes there, I think now maybe now Khalish if heathly enough or Nava will play defense in late situations and get more chances to play. I think it is a win win situation. It is only 5 million and I do believe that Hamilton is some manner will be a Red Sox.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Nava's defense is just as cruel.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mvpyouk20. Show mvpyouk20's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Nava's defense is just as cruel.

If Sweeney is brought back, then maybe him. Ross wasn't worth what he was asking for. Three years for him is just too much.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I don't think Sweeney will be on the team come opening day. I think Kalish will be the 4/5th OF'er in late defensive situations or perhaps a greater role if he begins to show he has overcome the injuries.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from njrrcs. Show njrrcs's posts

I can't believe they would sign a questionable player for $10 million over 2 years!  Gomes is a lousy defensive player and can't hit for average to warrant these kind of $$$$.  It goes to ownership that they want to go on the cheap and portray to the fans that they are going to be a competitive team!  Hah!!  Hold off on Gomes and work with the minor leaguers.  Stop publicizing "sellouts" and be honest with the fans!! 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

If a player not generally ranked among the Top 50 available free agents can secure a two-year, $10 million contract, what contracts will the remaining free agents land?

With the influx of new television revenues, MLB might be in store for serious salary inflation.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/10/2013-top-50-free-agents-with-predictions-1.html

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AoNgwgYhmCJPdFRUM0MyQ1U1M3pSQkNkQWtkLXBzR0E&output=html

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/top-free-agent-list-this-winter-1.4185073

Best wishes to Jonny Gomes and the Red Sox, but the free agent floor has been set high.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:

The Sox are definitely going to go out and get one more OFer.  It may not be Ross, but Gomes is NOT the end of their efforts to improve their OF.

yeah..now they go after a RF...i wonder if they are going after swisher for RF and napoli for 1B...both can play 2 positions..always good to have....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:

yeah..now they go after a RF...i wonder if they are going after swisher for RF and napoli for 1B...both can play 2 positions..always good to have....

These super high FA signings are making trades look even better...

Brett Anderson

Justin Upton

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

FanGraphs columnist Dave Cameron offers his take:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/red-sox-replace-carl-crawford-with-polar-opposite/

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to raider3524's comment:

These super high FA signings are making trades look even better...

Brett Anderson

Justin Upton

yes...i'm not even thinking trades yet..we have some prospect that can bring us some real talent...i really think we will be in the running for a playoff spot...it's just the way i feel...i'm kind of pumped for this offseason...winter meeting can't come soon enough.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

These super high FA signings are making trades look even better... Brett Anderson,Justin Upton

After viewing the early market returns for free agent veterans, the Athletics and Diamondbacks might increase their demands in any trade of their productive players (not that the Athletics are making any current demands for Brett Anderson, whom the A's reportedly intend to keep ... next season the Athletics will pay Anderson barely more than the Red Sox reportedly will pay Jonny Gomes).

Sections
Shortcuts