Gomes - Sox agree on 2-year 10 mil deal

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

Re: Gomes - Sox agree on 2-year 10 mil deal

yes i like the move...gomes is a good clubhouse guy...he will damage the green monster...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

thanks for the link...i read some of the post on that site..not very smart people...do they know who gomes is? or just talking crap? how can anybody hate gomes? why would they?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:

thanks for the link...i read some of the post on that site..not very smart people...do they know who gomes is? or just talking crap? how can anybody hate gomes? why would they?

Did you actually read the detailed analysis and the reasons (statistical and otherwise) behind Dave Cameron's conclusions?

I doubt Cameron "hates" Jonny Gomes, but at the same time Cameron cannot overlook Gomes' apparent shortcomings.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

Did you actually read the detailed analysis and the reasons (statistical and otherwise) behind Dave Cameron's conclusions?

I doubt Cameron "hates" Jonny Gomes, but at the same time Cameron cannot overlook Gomes' apparent shortcomings.

no the people posting coments....i liked the link. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:

I like this signing, dont want to hear about WAR, (was is it good for),  ABC, IPDaly, etc. Sox need good clubhouse guys in the worst way, start playing like a team, like in the old days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX7V6FAoTLc

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bt33. Show bt33's posts

just don't think overpaying a litle bit for one or two year deals is a huge issue. the two signings so far have been very much about depth. the true test will come when we see what they do to fill the holes left for a starter; a first baseman; and one to two more outfielders. there are also questions about the shortstop position, and I think obtaining a proven veteran righthanded late inning type (adams? soria?) should be a priority. seems almost a certainty they are going to spend some serious money per year to acquire 3 or 4 quality players (or the equivalent - give up some assets in trades). ross and gomes seem like the kind of platoon/back-up guys you need to have on a quality team. they have all the money in the world to try to fill the other gaps (hopefully on short term deals). unless they pull the trigger on someone like sanchez or hamilton I could foresee them spending 25-30 mill for both a first baseman (laroche/napoli?) and a starter (lohse? haren? jackson?) on 2 year deals and who cares if these guys get a few million per more than they are worth? think the trouble starts when you begin handing out 3 and 4 years to players who are into their thirties and may well get injured or be ineffective toward the end of their deals. personally, i'm fine with them passing on the mega deals with the hamiltons and greinke's of the world, in the same way I'm okay if they don't want to get into three and 4 year deals with players they are not sold on. maybe they get creative and take a chance with a pitcher like mccarthy or get masterson in a trade. despite all the blunders think cherington et al should be given at least this season and next to try to turn this around and i'm not looking for them to make deals just to make headlines and try to force relevancy all at once. bring in talent, keep developing your young stars, and bring in cost-effective talent. of course looming through all of this is ellsbury, a move that could have major implications going forward. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to bt33's comment:

just don't think overpaying a litle bit for one or two year deals is a huge issue. the two signings so far have been very much about depth. the true test will come when we see what they do to fill the holes left for a starter; a first baseman; and one to two more outfielders. there are also questions about the shortstop position, and I think obtaining a proven veteran righthanded late inning type (adams? soria?) should be a priority. seems almost a certainty they are going to spend some serious money per year to acquire 3 or 4 quality players (or the equivalent - give up some assets in trades). ross and gomes seem like the kind of platoon/back-up guys you need to have on a quality team. they have all the money in the world to try to fill the other gaps (hopefully on short term deals). unless they pull the trigger on someone like sanchez or hamilton I could foresee them spending 25-30 mill for both a first baseman (laroche/napoli?) and a starter (lohse? haren? jackson?) on 2 year deals and who cares if these guys get a few million per more than they are worth? think the trouble starts when you begin handing out 3 and 4 years to players who are into their thirties and may well get injured or be ineffective toward the end of their deals. personally, i'm fine with them passing on the mega deals with the hamiltons and greinke's of the world, in the same way I'm okay if they don't want to get into three and 4 year deals with players they are not sold on. maybe they get creative and take a chance with a pitcher like mccarthy or get masterson in a trade. despite all the blunders think cherington et al should be given at least this season and next to try to turn this around and i'm not looking for them to make deals just to make headlines and try to force relevancy all at once. bring in talent, keep developing your young stars, and bring in cost-effective talent. of course looming through all of this is ellsbury, a move that could have major implications going forward. 

good post...i think we add 1 more OFder...still OFders on the market not sure if we trade for one? SP is a big need...and 1B..i kind of like napoli i think he would damage the monster also.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red_sox/view/20221122sox_to_get_a_good_guy_in_gomes/

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:

In response to notin's comment:

The Sox bullpen was actually outstanding last year, and really, the main problem was overwork.  Bailey was not good, but he was also coming off an injury.   The bullpen is actually the least of their concenrs, and actually could be considered an are of surpus.

Starting pitching is another matter.  Four spots are pretty much etched in stone, and the fifthe name should be the interesting one...

Notin just being notin.

To call the Sox bullpen outstanding last year is at best an overstatement.  Morales was effective more often than not, before filling in as a starter and Miller was outstanding for about half the year, then so-so.  Atchison was very good throughout, though he had to take a bit of time off, as were Hill (when available) and Tazawa (once promoted).  But Padilla, Aceves, Bard, Carpenter, Thomas, Beato, Melancon, Bailey and McDonald pitched over 220 innings (over 24 complete games worth) and all had ERAs north of 4.50 (with Aceves over 5.00 and he was the stopper!!), and all but Padilla with ERAs over 5.00.  Nothing outstanding about that.

Is the bullpen a strength in the sense that the Sox could afford to use some of their relievers as trade bait?   Yes.  The Sox have more decent arms than they can use at any one time, and probably should trade some off if they can get value in return.  Is it the least of their worries?  Hardly.  Anyone who does not think the Sox need to find a closer AND at least one dependable set-up man (whether that is done in ST with the arms and talent available, or through trade and/or FA signing) wasn't paying attention last season. 

Aceves, in the role of closer, lost 10 games and blew 8 saves.  Turn just half of those into wins and the Sox are pretty much a .500 club.  Add in the 4 losses and 8 blown saves that Bailey, Melancon and Padilla contributed, and turn half of those into wins; now the Sox are better than .500 on the season without improving their rotation at all.  They need to improve their  bullpen.

Although Melancon started off terrible, I think he finished incredibly strong. Coming in with 1 out and bases juiced in Yankee stadium and shutting them down was huge for his confidence. he seemed to have a different look about him too. A more agressive feel.

I think if Bailey stays healthy, He should be the AS closer he has been in the past. Tazawa broke out last year as either a setup man or potential closer one day. Breslow is the LHP that can get out bothe L and RHH.

I agree that it never hurts to add another arm if the right deal comes along. We also have some options internally as well. Providing the starters do their job and go 7 innings most of the time, I believe the group we have now can get the job done more than adequately.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Nava's defense is just as cruel.

Nava's defense improved greatly from hiis first call up...It was very noticable last year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to njrrcs' comment:

I can't believe they would sign a questionable player for $10 million over 2 years!  Gomes is a lousy defensive player and can't hit for average to warrant these kind of $$$$.  It goes to ownership that they want to go on the cheap and portray to the fans that they are going to be a competitive team!  Hah!!  Hold off on Gomes and work with the minor leaguers.  Stop publicizing "sellouts" and be honest with the fans!! 

If you liked Cody Ross, which im sure you did, Gomes is a better hitter than Ross. His defense is a bit to be desired, but Ross isnt much better. I suggest you go look at their stats and educate yourself.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

These super high FA signings are making trades look even better... Brett Anderson, Justin Upton

After viewing the early market returns for free agent veterans, the Athletics and Diamondbacks might increase their demands in any trade of their productive players (not that the Athletics are making any current demands for Brett Anderson, whom the A's reportedly intend to keep ... next season the Athletics will pay Anderson barely more than the Red Sox reportedly will pay Jonny Gomes).

Anderson will make about 3-4M more than Gomes over the next 2 years.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Hey raider,

Although I think its a bit of an overpay, Im fine with it. Gomes is basically Ross with not as good defense. At 15M less(if Ross gets what he wants) Im certainly good with him coming to Boston. From all accounts hes a great team/clubhouse guy as well.

BC is really making sure the player has a solid character as well as fills a need. Good for him. Its will be nice to see these guys have fun again while playing the game they love.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

ben is useless - he is afraid to sign a star player so he dumpster dives and lets the bootlicker brigades make excuses for him with their usual nonsense about clubhouse guys, dirt dogs, and good values.....

we need pitchers who can step up and dominate, not journeymen players who make no difference to the bottom line of a team that won just 69 games.....

the fact that he dawdled on papi and signed Gomes and not Ross (who was a proven fenway commodity) to save 3 mil a year is infuriating....

the good news is that after 2013, ben will be with valentine in the unemployment line

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

ben is useless - he is afraid to sign a star player so he dumpster dives and lets the bootlicker brigades make excuses for him with their usual nonsense about clubhouse guys, dirt dogs, and good values.....

we need pitchers who can step up and dominate, not journeymen players who make no difference to the bottom line of a team that won just 69 games.....

the fact that he dawdled on papi and signed Gomes and not Ross (who was a proven fenway commodity) to save 3 mil a year is infuriating....

the good news is that after 2013, ben will be with valentine in the unemployment line

Geo,

Youve been around long enough to know how this process works, yet you continue to complain as if you have no clue.

Most top FA dont sign until mid Dec into Jan. Their agents hold out to get the best possible offer. Meanwhile, the Sox grab the better Platoon/bench guys while waiting for the market to set up.

After they sign/trade the bigger pieces, they will be done while other teams are trying to round out their rosters with the leftover scraps.

25 other teams have not made a big move. Not just the Sox.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

ust don't think overpaying a litle bit for one or two year deals is a huge issue. the two signings so far have been very much about depth. the true test will come when we see what they do to fill the holes left for a starter; a first baseman; and one to two more outfielders.

I think it was too much, but if I wanted to like the deal, then I'd think-

• As low as our payroll is, $2M too much shouldn't have a material impact
    • By filling one OF hole, it makes our bargaining position slightly better.  You don't want to be a position where you have two OFs left, and you need two OFs
    • Nava makes a natural platoon partner for him with a .797 v RHPs last year

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

ust don't think overpaying a litle bit for one or two year deals is a huge issue. the two signings so far have been very much about depth. the true test will come when we see what they do to fill the holes left for a starter; a first baseman; and one to two more outfielders.

I think it was too much, but if I wanted to like the deal, then I'd think-

• As low as our payroll is, $2M too much shouldn't have a material impact
    • By filling one OF hole, it makes our bargaining position slightly better.  You don't want to be a position where you have two OFs left, and you need two OFs
    • Nava makes a natural platoon partner for him with a .797 v RHPs last year

Also with a healthy Kalish we can finally see what hes really all about in a possible platoon role with gomes.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

I like the signing, short and farly reasonable.  This guy Plays to win.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to traven's comment:

The Chronicle is reporting that Gomes and the Sox have just agreed to a 2 year/10 million deal.

http://blog.sfgate.com/athletics/2012/11/21/red-sox-working-to-sign-gomes/

Way too much money but Ross was probably looking for more.  It will be interesting to see what Cody gets because he may never hit like he did at Fenway next season.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

The Chronicle is reporting that Gomes and the Sox have just agreed to a 2 year/10 million deal.

Way too much money but Ross was probably looking for more.  It will be interesting to see what Cody gets because he may never hit like he did at Fenway next season.

It was probably a slight overpay by a couple Million, but at only 10M and 2 years its def doable.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to craze4sox's comment:

It was probably a slight overpay by a couple Million, but at only 10M and 2 years its def doable.

It's basically like bringing Ross back southpaw.  I'm most interested in who mans LF next season.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Nava's defense is just as cruel.

Nava's defense improved greatly from hiis first call up...It was very noticable last year.

Maybe it was rookie jitters his first year, but Nava did not play even average OF in 2012. He is still a negative in the field.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[/QUOTE

Ross hit excatly for his career averages last year and he was a gamer who played hard....just another backward/lateral move by ben....makes about as much sense as the Aviles/Scutaro move last yr...

Sections
Shortcuts