Gomes - Sox agree on 2-year 10 mil deal

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Re: Gomes - Sox agree on 2-year 10 mil deal

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Scoot would not have led us to the WS in 2012, so what he did for SF means squat. Scoot would never have played FT SS in 2012 for us or anyone else. Those calling this a bad trade are clearly working with an agenda... a bash Ben agenda.

Ok, I do have an agenda.  I'm here to enlist in the Geo et al lynch mob when and if things go awry and I can find a convenient scapegoat.  In fact, I'll lead the charge of this Poplulist, Anti-Bootlicker movement when it becomes convenient.  I'll make sure to keep a close watch  on all ex-Red Sox players that Cherrington traded, released, or didn't re-sign, and then strike with great vengence when that castaway delivers the key blow while wearing another team's uniform.

In my world, Scoot's marginal utility for the Red Sox meant squat.   It's all about not ever giving into the man and the system and being thought of as a bootlicker,

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i guess you dont know "squat" if you think Scutaro was a marginal player in 2011...please de-deputize yourself

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Scoot would not have led us to the WS in 2012, so what he did for SF means squat. Scoot would never have played FT SS in 2012 for us or anyone else. Those calling this a bad trade are clearly working with an agenda... a bash Ben agenda.

moon - i have respect for you as a fan - but saying scutaro was not valuable or an asset to the team after our shortstop debacles and the way he played in 2011 all the while injured makes you just another bdc hack....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

moon - i have respect for you as a fan - but saying scutaro was not valuable or an asset to the team after our shortstop debacles and the way he played in 2011 all the while injured makes you just another bdc hack....

Actually, thinking this trade ruined the 2012 season is the biggrst stretch.  It was not even a smal contributor.  And the fact that Scutaro went on to win WS MVP with the Giants  does not mean he was going to save Boston.  Renteria did the same thing - was dealing him a bad trade?

They did not get much for Scutaro, but, the Rockies got even less for him.  This was not a player that teams were going to surrender top talent for, and not a player who was going to save 2012.   Why you keep bringing him up is beyond me, beyond bashing for the sake of bashing...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Gomes averages 28 Hrs per 650 PAs vs LHPs and 29 vs RHPs, but his OBP drops a ton: .382 to .307. 

Although Ross would probably have been better than Gomes vs LHPs, Gomes is probably about the same vs RHPs (career .223/.307/.425/.732).

Ross vs RHPs (.253/.312/.415/.727).

If Ross ends up getting close to what he is asking for, the Gomes deal looks better.

I think Ross might regret not staying in Boston, in terms of production levels.

Gomes can't field. He was mainly a DH. The Red Sox have a DH. Dumb move.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Actually, thinking this trade ruined the 2012 season is the biggrst stretch.  It was not even a smal contributor.  And the fact that Scutaro went on to win WS MVP with the Giants  does not mean he was going to save Boston.  Renteria did the same thing - was dealing him a bad trade?

They did not get much for Scutaro, but, the Rockies got even less for him.  This was not a player that teams were going to surrender top talent for, and not a player who was going to save 2012.   Why you keep bringing him up is beyond me, beyond bashing for the sake of bashing...

Im not sure what youre talking about Notin...i lamented the Scutaro deal from Day 1 because of what happened in 2011 and was upset that the one guy who didnt mail it in that september was sent packing because he made 6 mil and we had a journeyman infielder to take his place..that seemed dumb to me...no one isaying it ruined the season...but i remember making this point about 100 times before the 2012 season started...why are idiots like lackey and beckett stay on the team and scutaro gets dealt even though he played harder and made way less money...turns out i was right and ben was wrong....why cant you just admit that?  ben signed ross, that was a good move, i think signing farrell could be decent...does that make him a good GM? hardly....Bailey, Reddick, Paps, Melacon, Lillibridge, bard, and yes Scutaro all point to a guy who engineered a 69 win season...he owns it...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Im not sure what youre talking about Notin...i lamented the Scutaro deal from Day 1 because of what happened in 2011 and was upset that the one guy who didnt mail it in that september was sent packing because he made 6 mil and we had a journeyman infielder to take his place..that seemed dumb to me...no one isaying it ruined the season...but i remember making this point about 100 times before the 2012 season started...why are idiots like lackey and beckett stay on the team and scutaro gets dealt even though he played harder and made way less money...turns out i was right and ben was wrong....why cant you just admit that?  ben signed ross, that was a good move, i think signing farrell could be decent...does that make him a good GM? hardly....Bailey, Reddick, Paps, Melacon, Lillibridge, bard, and yes Scutaro all point to a guy who engineered a 69 win season...he owns it...

I would really love to tear this comment to shreds but it is hard when you lie about Scuturo being the WS MVP that was Pablo Sandoval.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

I would really love to tear this comment to shreds but it is hard when you lie about Scuturo being the WS MVP that was Pablo Sandoval.

im not sure who you are refering to but i didnt say WS mvp....everyone knows he was NLCS mvp...so what is your point?  whomever compared scoot to rentaria, that is a joke, right?....they were totally different as sox ss....one thrived, played hard, and fit in well...the other was a huge bust,  who cost more...once again it is Ben who sent him packing to save money..his replacment was used the next yr to get a last place manager...and even then his new team traded him asap....this is embarrassingly inept - you simply cant spin this

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Scoot was not the "only player that did not mail it in last Spetember", and besides that is not the reason to keep a $6M utility player.

The choice was:

Scutaro at SS and no Ross, Shoppach or Padilla

or

Aviles at SS with Ross, Shoppach & Padilla plus Mortensen who pitched well in 2013 and looks promising going forward.

I understand Scoot is a good guy. I was one of the few that defended him against softy's bashing back when we got him. I defended him when he slumped when being overplayed. The fact is, his clubhouse leadership skills would not have offset the drop off (which I don't concede) from him to Aviles at SS in 2012 plus what Ross, Shopp, Padilla and Mortensen gave us in 2012 and what Mort might give us going forward.

This is not a good trade to use against Ben.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Scoot was not the "only player that did not mail it in last Spetember", and besides that is not the reason to keep a $6M utility player.

The choice was:

Scutaro at SS and no Ross, Shoppach or Padilla

or

Aviles at SS with Ross, Shoppach & Padilla plus Mortensen who pitched well in 2013 and looks promising going forward.

I understand Scoot is a good guy. I was one of the few that defended him against softy's bashing back when we got him. I defended him when he slumped when being overplayed. The fact is, his clubhouse leadership skills would not have offset the drop off (which I don't concede) from him to Aviles at SS in 2012 plus what Ross, Shopp, Padilla and Mortensen gave us in 2012 and what Mort might give us going forward.

This is not a good trade to use against Ben.

ummm where did JD Drew's 14 mil go to? I thought that was going to sign an outfielder...why was it Scutaro's money that paid for Ross?  this makes no sense - please stop pushing this nonsense

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He did better of defense at SS than Scoot would have done.

They were about even on offense.

The additions of Mortensen, Ross, Shopp and Padilla tipped the balance to the plus side. It's not even close.

Scoot was the guy you bashed for 2 years, then in order for you to keep bashing Ben, all of a sudden he became a stud.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to traven's comment:

The Chronicle is reporting that Gomes and the Sox have just agreed to a 2 year/10 million deal.

http://blog.sfgate.com/athletics/2012/11/21/red-sox-working-to-sign-gomes/

Wasted money ... No need to exsplain to smart posters on here.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

if you think this signing makes us a better team, you deserve what you get...Ross > gomes...we are talking about 10 mil difference over 3 years...chump change literally....although i agree with you about all this game playing about trying to guess how much a player is worth and will sign for...that is a big bore...i go back to my big picture question...how does this signing make the team better? At best it is lateral.....the sox can not get better without a dominant arm, and that will need to be via free agency...if we trade, we lose vital pieces that our team cant afford to lose...waiting only increases the price for values free agents...the reality is that ben has no plan to sign anyone worth getting because he fears what could go wrong as opposed to what can be gained....he has a solid record of risk aversion - this is a fact

ben gave us the worst season in 40 years...he owns it and deserves all the criticism he gets

You and I are the only ones who get it Gerom. BC is beyond incompetent. Henry wants to recreate 2004 and he's doing it vicariously through Cherington. If we don't get two good starters and a solid 1B who can hit with power, this will be a repeat of 2012.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

If Gomes and Nava play a lot, we're all watching a last place team again.

Nonsense.  Could a team win the division and WS with LF production of 20 HR, OBP of .350 and an OPS of .800 albeit with mediocre fielding?  Of course!

It's completely reasonable to assume a Gomes/Nava platoon in LF could easily achieve that, probably more.  I would prefer an upgrade on Nava, though.

While our SP is giving up 5 runs a game? I think not.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

If Gomes is on the roster at all star break - I will be shocked.

he is a horrible acquisition.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Prepare to be shocked.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Prepare to be shocked.

I wonder if JG somehow does something signifigant that these same folks will  back off a bit. Who knows guys, every team hes been on seems to really like his style. My hope is that an open mind is kept.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

its all about the timing...Ben signing retreads again after his 69 win season shows that he either has no plan, or is still more worried about salaries than victories....you create a foundation first...get a manager and sign papi...good....

but you need a first baseman and pitching ace....napoli is at least biting so that may be good as well...but if we dont get a solid pitcher we will be no better than .500...and that will be unacceptable....

kicking the tires of every car in the lot is not a plan...sorry....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...but if we dont get a solid pitcher we will be no better than .500...

I agree.

I think it might be Sanchez or Jackson, but if we spend so much on Naps, Swish or Ham, we may end up with McCarthy or Marcum (not bad gambles).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Prepare to be shocked.

I know.

This team is a mess.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

its all about the timing...Ben signing retreads again after his 69 win season shows that he either has no plan, or is still more worried about salaries than victories....you create a foundation first...get a manager and sign papi...good....

but you need a first baseman and pitching ace....napoli is at least biting so that may be good as well...but if we dont get a solid pitcher we will be no better than .500...and that will be unacceptable....

kicking the tires of every car in the lot is not a plan...sorry....

I think they may have to make a trade for a really good one. theres just not much this year for FA, position players or pitchers...

Sections
Shortcuts