Gomez-Loney--Best 9 players/hitters the rest of the way...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Gomez-Loney--Best 9 players/hitters the rest of the way...

Loney-- is batting, give or take a few points .265.  Gomez is batting close to .300 + or -. Iggy and Lava are really struggling--really struggling.

Let's make it so we have some offense and compete form that side of the ball. If we are going to lose , lose with at least your best 9 hitters. Gomez needs to be in the lineup every day.

Ross,RF

Ells, CF

Pods, DH

Salty, C

Gomez, 1 B

Pedroia, 2 B

Ciriaco, SS

Aviles, 3B

Nava, LF

Loney is a ninth inning Defensive replacement for Gomez.

I want to see what kind of range Ciriaco has. Is it better, worse, equal to Iggy?

DeJesus--looks lost in extremely limited play.

What is the third catcher for? I thought he might get a chance the other day when Salty hit the triple , then the double--DeJesus pinch run ?? (no) and the third catcher plays. To try to assure a run...nope staying the course--we're 16 games out and it's like we're fighting for the pennant.

Insisting to play Iggy , batting below .100---can't bunt, can't get the ball out of the infield, or better yet short OF.   lava's not much better: batting in the .160"s ---he definitely needs more minor league time--he could probably use a personal batting instructor to help him in the off saeson with all things batting.with balance.  Has Mag's thrown in the towel like BV has or is he working with these guys via tape, etc.

What a chance, the last 15 games, to get a little payback for last Sept.'s swoon--by knocking off some of the contenders---no the manager believes he has a the worst personnell in the history of baseball---so he's going to prove it by not putting at least his best 9 players on the field at the same time.

And V's going to show Aceves who's got the last word on this team. V truly acts like a child and continues to try to get relieved of his responsibilities and the management refuses to let him go. Perhaps management  will allow the PawSox manager Arnie B to take over the Sox after Tuesday  nights game in Durham.That's my hope.--I strayed a bit sorry about that.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Re: Gomez-Loney--Best 9 players/hitters the rest of the way...

I agree that Gomez needs to play more.  He can hit.  If they don't resign Ortiz (which I hope they do) I think Gomez could hit 280 and hit 25 homers as an every day DH

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

I agree as well. Gomez may not be the answer in MLB, but there's nothing to lose at this point by giving him a chance, and nothing to gain by sending Loney out there every day to hit .260 with no power.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Gomez should DH the rest of the way. I have no issue with loney at 1b. Id like to see ciriaco at SS to see what hes got. After the AAA game tomorrow I would like to see a couple roster moves and have Bryce Brentz be put on the 40-man so we can all see him for a few games as well.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

They are just playing out the string, it matters very little to me who they play , where they bat them in the lineup or whether they win or lose.

Frankly, if it wasn't for the money they'd lose. I think this team might be better served forfeiting the rest of the games and just send everybody home. Many teams have September call ups, players are not always batting against bonafide MLB pitchers. Is it really an accurate barometer of how they will play during a season when it really matters? It's pretty obvious this team packed it in when they still had a shot at a playoff berth. It's pointless for anyone to be very concerned about who plays and who doesn't. If management doesn't know by now which players to keep and which to dump, they never will.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I didn't know the Sox had 9 hitters they can even play the rest of the way. The lineups looks more like this of late:

1. Pawtucket

2. Ellsbury

3. Pedroia

4. Pawtucket

5. Pawtucket

6. Pawtucket

7. AA

8. Rookie Ball

9. Extended ST

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I apologize to Ross and Salty, but you get the drift.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I apologize to Ross and Salty, but you get the drift.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

They are going to have to find room for Gomez. That guy can hit a baseball. If he makes some errors at first base, so what? Lots of first basemen are not great fielders. And who knows, maybe he can improve. I would keep him at a 1B/DH platoon. Sorry David....but unless you are willing to accept one year at $12M + a club option for another year, thanks for all the memories.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Gomes needs at-bats now.  What is there to lose?  He may be a part of next year's lineup where he might hit 20-30 HRs with full time duty either at first or DH, and he will be a low salaried player in 2013.

Loney seems like a nice guy, a good fielder but not much of a hitter at this stage of his career even though he is not an older player yet.  He really has not hit all year long, does not seem to have the ability to hit to left to take advantage of the Fenway dimensions and certainly does not look like he has enough power to hit HRs to right field in Fenway.

I doubt that I would want to bring him back next season at his current salary of $4+ million because I would think that there would be a defensive type guy available for much less if you felt that Gomes needed a late game replacement.  A Casey Kotchman type guy could fill the defensive replacment/left handed hitter role for either Gomes or maybe even Sands if he hits in spring training.

That money could then be used for more pitching.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

charlie D good observation. Gomez, to me, is a pure hitter--maybe the best pure hitter on the team. Not to play him the rest of the  season is crazy. You know what you have in Loney--just read charlie and you'll find out. Hopefully Ben does not offer him arb.

You need to see more of Gomez in the next few weeks.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Just what exactly does Gomez need to do , to get some playing time on this lousy team?

He's a far superior hitter to Loney, and hits with men on base.

Loney will be gone at the end of the season, but Gomez at the very least, will give a strong RH bat off the bench for 2013.

Just odd, how well he's hit in proportion to his playing time.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to rightymclefty's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Just what exactly does Gomez need to do , to get some playing time on this lousy team?

He's a far superior hitter to Loney, and hits with men on base.

Loney will be gone at the end of the season, but Gomez at the very least, will give a strong RH bat off the bench for 2013.

Just odd, how well he's hit in proportion to his playing time.

[/QUOTE]

I don't get it either.  Bobby keeps Dhing Lava or Salty when obviously Gomez is a better hitter than either of them.  Sad to say he may be the best hitter on the active roster right now.

Perplexing.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Ellsbury has batted .300 since Aug 21st...Exactly one month. 34 for 107...Ill take that from an AAA player

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I agree that Gomez needs to play more.  He can hit.  If they don't resign Ortiz (which I hope they do) I think Gomez could hit 280 and hit 25 homers as an every day DH

[/QUOTE]

Gomez is fooling people.

He is an illusion created by small sample sizes and freakish BABIP splits.  David Copperfield would be proud.

He has .357BABIP on ground balls.  This is impressive even for faster players who explode out of the batters box, like Austin Jackson or Drew Stubbs.

He has a 1.000BABIP on line drives.  There is no argument that this is sustainable.

If Gomez is such a pure hitter, he really needs to get that line drive rate up above 15%, where is it now.  With Gomez' current trajectory splits, he should be hitting .234 with a .290 OBP.  His power would lend itself to all of 13HRs in 500 ABs.  These are not guesses.  I ran the numbers.

It's a small sample, but he is 28 and spent a lifetime in AAA for a reason.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ellsbury has had a AAA season.

[/QUOTE]

Yes he has and the rest of the team has had a AA season.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Gomez is fooling people.

He is an illusion created by small sample sizes and freakish BABIP splits.  David Copperfield would be proud.

He has .357BABIP on ground balls.  This is impressive even for faster players who explode out of the batters box, like Austin Jackson or Drew Stubbs.

He has a 1.000BABIP on line drives.  There is no argument that this is sustainable.

If Gomez is such a pure hitter, he really needs to get that line drive rate up above 15%, where is it now.  With Gomez' current trajectory splits, he should be hitting .234 with a .290 OBP.  His power would lend itself to all of 13HRs in 500 ABs.  These are not guesses.  I ran the numbers.

He fooled people again tonight. 

[/QUOTE]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Gomez is fooling people.

[/QUOTE]

He fooled people again tonight.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

He did.  But small sample sizes will do that.

I say, let Mauro enjoy his September.  The guy spent a lifetime in the minors, and is finally getting to enjoy being an MLB player.  Good for him.  He spent a longtime wating for this.

But he is not the future.  At best, he is Pawtucket depth material who gets called up for injury replacement, or more likely, replacement for the actual injury replacement...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I cant say Gomez is the future yet either. There is a reason hes 28 and a career ML'er. With that said, theres still the possibility of the "late bloomer" tag and I would give him the chance this year with regular playing time and a chance next year in ST. It wouldnt stop me from aquiring another 1b though.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]

He did.  But small sample sizes will do that.

I say, let Mauro enjoy his September.  The guy spent a lifetime in the minors, and is finally getting to enjoy being an MLB player.  Good for him.  He spent a longtime wating for this.

But he is not the future.  At best, he is Pawtucket depth material who gets called up for injury replacement, or more likely, replacement for the actual injury replacement...

[/QUOTE]

Of course he isn't the future.  I don't think anyone insinuated that.  All I said was that if he was a full time DH IMO he could hit 280 with 25 homers.  I don't think I am far off on that assessment.