Gonzalez blames the Monster

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: Gonzalez blames the Monster

geo, excellent post.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In Response to Re: Gonzalez blames the Monster:
    Just more excuses to try and justify dumping him. If it makes you feel better, knock yourself out!
    Posted by Alibiike

Alibiike - Do you undestand that the main reason why they had to give up AGon was so that they could dump Crawford? Are you comprehending that?

Given that the Dodgers claimed both Beckett and Gonzalez, the Red Sox surely would have let Beckett go for nothing, but would not have done the same with Gonzalez. They negotiated a package deal, you want Gonzalez, you get Crawford and the rest of the baggage. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

lets not dissect everything agon has to say now...he was a good guy who played hard and well...he even played 18 games in RF...i hope he does really well in LA..hes one of the good guys
    Posted by georom4

So do I -- even though I'm not a Dodgers fan.
    There is no need to "dissect." His remarks were not cryptic or ambiguous. They were straightforward and numerically specific. Nothing wrong, IMO, in checking that out. To do so is not to insult him personally or even to play down his performance in Boston. He brought the subject up. Knowing Boston (! ), he might have known his claim would be looked into by someone. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Boston Red Sox Adrian Gonzalez Says Boston Media Didn't Like He Was 'Calm Person,' Blames Fenway for Power Outage by Mike Cole on Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 9:52AM  Ad rian Gonzalez 's tenure in Boston was an odd one, no doubt. Now that the slugger has moved on to Los Angeles, he's already reflecting on his crazy stop in one of baseball's most passionate markets. Gonzalez looked happy and refreshed to be out of Boston, and he didn't waste much time showing it, blasting a three-run home run in his first at-bat with the Dodgers. It could be the beginning of a very productive relationship in Southern California. As for Gonzalez's time in Boston, he revealed that while he didn't want to necessarily leave, there were some contentious aspects of playing there. More specifically, he said the media helped twist his image some. "They didn't like that I was a calm person," Gonzalez said, according to the Los Angeles Times. "I won't throw my helmet, I won't scream, I won't use bad words if I strike out. That's what they want over there. "You can't control what others say," he added. "I was the same person in San Diego. They took me over there and I didn't change. My intensity, how I prepared, everything was the same. When they took me over there, they took me over there to drive in runs. And I did that." One of the biggest problems fans and media had with Gonzalez in his short time in Boston was the lack of power the slugger displayed. After hitting 32 home runs per season while playing at spacious Petco Park in San Diego, Gonzalez only hit 42 home runs in his almost two seasons with the Red Sox. The reason for that power outage, according to Gonzalez? The Green Monster. "What took my power away was the Green Monster ," he said of the 37-foot wall at Boston's  Fenway Park , also according to the Times. "I used to hit line drives and they would be doubles. That took away five home runs from me last year. So I would have 32." Gonzalez had 15 home runs at the time of the trade. He thinks he would have had more than 20 if not for the fabled wall. "My power hasn't left me," he said. "In San Diego, a lot of my home runs used to be to left field." Gonzalez infamously stated earlier this season that he was "just trying to hit singles," and he backed that up in a way this weekend. "What's most important is to drive in runs, not hit home runs," he said. "A home run is a run." Gonzalez is a .334 lifetime hitter at Fenway with 18 home runs and 99 RBIs in 146 games.
    Posted by jete02fan

We care what he says because?  What's your point jete?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Gonzalez is a good player, will be a good player for at least a few more years and was a good player for the Red Sox, but he is now a Dodger so who cares about him or what he says about a stadium wall.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In Response to Re: Gonzalez blames the Monster : It probably would have been wiser for Gonzalez to say nothing about the Monster, and to have just shown his stuff in LA. Now he's got people looking into the case ( see the next post ), and raising questions. 
    Posted by expitch

Yup.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Gonzalez is a good player, will be a good player for at least a few more years and was a good player for the Red Sox, but he is now a Dodger so who cares about him or what he says about a stadium wall.
    Posted by charliedarling

Agreed, so why did jete post this?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

Never mind the wall, the guy was a monster, for sure.

A monster cry baby.

And he didn't play hard.  He trotted down to first, and everywhere else, as if he was fragile merchandise.  Went to sleep on the bases and got picked off.  Channeled JD Drew on tons of pitches on the outside corner (soft grounder to first).  And was not a clutch hitter.

As long as expectations are low, he's OK.  But someone crank up the pressure, and we'll see how he does.

Can't wait to hear why Dodger Stadium is somehow working against him -- give him time.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

I BLAMED THE MONSTER, OVER AND OVER.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

I'm going to give you my gut reaction from watching him for almost 2 years:       He's a sucker for the outside slider, has little patience at the plate, runs like a rented mule and is totally unclutch. Add to that his lack of emotional committment and his hugely unearned mega salary, and I feel blessed that he's gone.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

AGon was the least of this team's problems...but since he was such a sorry performer it shouldn't be hard to replace him with any 3-4M first basemen the Sox can get...watch Loney light it up.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbeach48. Show dbeach48's posts

over-rated and overpaid

I wont miss any of em.

3 are part of the WORST collapse in RS history

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Gonzalez is a very good player, offensively and defensively.  He was a team player, and sacrificed himself more than once for the benefit of his teammates.  He also is a big part of why Papi has been so good the past 2 years, IMO.

I can understand why people are excited about the trade, but I don't see any reason to bash him.  I am really bummed that he is no longer on the team.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbeach48. Show dbeach48's posts

gonzalez
    april  271
    may 265
    june  286
    july 372
    aug  315

about 300 ave 2012  

likes the warm mos

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

gonzalez april  271 may 265 june  286 july 372 aug  315 about 300 ave 2012   likes the warm mos
    Posted by dbeach48

then let him play in Southern California

what this guy would have done in late October in Boston would have been scary - glad AGONE is gone!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

He will be missed for both his attitude and abilities. If a guy has 86 RBIs with jut 15 hrs he is still doing things right. There are plenty of guys with 25+HRs and under 50 RBI
    Posted by JimfromFlorida

That is correct. Last week I brought attention to the FACT that every player that had more ribbies than AGON had twice as man home-runs .... though if I recall none of them were more than 15 ribbies ahead of AGon. That is impressive. 

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Is this the same Monster that forced Theo to sign Crawful?

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Question if Beckett and Crawford had worked out and played a lot better or if neither had been here at the start of 2011 would AGon be here right now?

The answer is a resounding yes.

I said before we needed another big homer bat to pair up with AGon rather than blaming him for not hitting a lot of homers while he drove in 110+ runs. He needed help in the line-up, the sort of help that a 2007 David Ortiz could provide.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

For myriad reasons, Gonzo in Boston did not work out. Perhaps we should just let it go at that. Actually, Agon worked out well. It was Crawbust and frathouse boss Beckett's extension that didn't work out well in Boston.
    Posted by TrotterNixon
    The general assumption is that the Sox had to include Gonzalez in order to dump the other two contracts. But what if the FO was almost as eager to get rid of the Gonzalez contract -- and the man. Maybe the FO didn't think that Gonzo was working out in Boston. Maybe the FO was relieved to have all three out of sight. In the long run, they might not have thought Gonzalez "a good fit" Boston, as the saying goes. 
    This possibility cannot be written off.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Nor should we write off the possibility the FO thought that Gonzalez was not becoming a fan favorite and calculated that he never become one in Boston -- through no particular fault of his own.  In short, the FO might have doubted that he would ever be a drawing card. The club lost last year with him and was losing this year with him -- and he hasn't been as "powerful" as advertised. The average fan doesn't come to the park to see scoops at 1B. Dingers fill the seats -- or winners do.
    I can think of many reasons why the FO might have been close to as happy to part with Gonzalez as with the other two. I'm not saying that I think this sort of calculation was smart or not, only that it might have been in the minds of people who made the deal. 

Sections
Shortcuts