Gonzalez

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Gonzalez

His glove is worth his body weight in gold. He is probably the best defender the Sox have ever had at his position.
    But he's not being paid to be a fancy dan and a spray hitter. It's been a while, going back to last year, since he hit the baseball with real authority.He's serving the ball off his bat rather than smacking it. He doesn't seem to get his wrists into the swing. He's fooled a lot. And he's not jumping on pitches right down the pipe.
    He's late on them, or hits them weakly. 
    People say that he will heat up when the weather does. Maybe so. Probably so. But the Sox hardly need a player whose skills come and go with the weather, especially at the end of the season. I hope we are not seeing a pattern. His early and late slumps could be just a coincidence.
    In any event, the Sox need him to start hitting with power now. On this road trip. Starting against the Rays, who owned him last year. The club is on a roll. The pitching is coming around. Help is coming from Middlebrooks and Nava. But for how long? Sweeney is cooling off. ( He looks like he's falling away from the plate as he swings. ) So has Aviles, save for yesterday. Pedey is fine. 
    All in all, it's time for Gonzalez to step up. The Sox would have a better record already if he'd had a few timely hits.
    I'm not criticizing the man. I think he cares and he comes to play. He seems like a decent person. You want him to do well. 
    If he gets it going, this club could be trouble and do better hanging on until injured players return.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: Gonzalez

Couldn't agree more. But Gonzalez has always been a bit of a spray hitter. But when he gets on a roll he sprays the ball with authority everywhere. Hopefully he heats up when Papi cools off.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Fair post. I'd love to see Adrian heat up. He owes the Rays.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DisplacedSoxFan. Show DisplacedSoxFan's posts

If I were in charge, I'd never let another player on the team enter the home run contest at the All Star game.  Gonzo hasn't been the same hitter since.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

I've been quietly very worried about him. It would be one thing if his "spraying the ball" was resulting in a batting average of .325, but the man is hitting high .280's with a middle infielders power. He's gotta make an adjustment to that swing to allow him to pull the ball more...period. I also pray his lack of power is NOT related to his shoulder.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill2. Show aussiewill2's posts

In the 77 games after the All Star Game abd the 37 games played this season, total 114 games Gonzo has hit 12 Homeruns, That works out to 1 Home Run per every ten games. This year however he is averaging one Home Run every 19 games, if he keeps up this average , Bonzo hits 8 home runs for the year, Middlebrooks is half way there in 11 games .

If Bonzo gets 50 doubles and 100 RBI's and 8 Home Runs hits .320 it will be considered a success, of sorts.  Theo signed Lackey, Jenks, Crawford, Gonzo,  Drew. If the Sox survive these signings, they can survive anything. Almost 1/2 of a Billion Dollars $ 500,000,000.00 What a great General Manager. Sheesh

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I would like to see both Ortiz and AGon bunt down the third base line frequently--like Ortiz did yesterday to set up Middy--who cares who drives in the runs as long as someone gets the chance. I realize the shift won't go away but the third baseman and pitchers will get tired of seeing their futile efforts go for naught. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Has Agon had a day off yet? That was my gripe last year. Tito played him into the ground. V should give him a day off completely, and another day as the DH.
    Let the guy get his mind and body refreshed, assuming he is healthy, which he says he is.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

In Response to Gonzalez:
    [QUOTE]His glove is worth his body weight in gold. He is probably the best defender the Sox have ever had at his position. But he's not being paid to be a fancy dan and a spray hitter. It's been a while, going back to last year, since he hit the baseball with real authority.He's serving the ball off his bat rather than smacking it. He doesn't seem to get his wrists into the swing. He's fooled a lot. And he's not jumping on pitches right down the pipe. He's late on them, or hits them weakly.  People say that he will heat up when the weather does. Maybe so. Probably so. But the Sox hardly need a player whose skills come and go with the weather, especially at the end of the season. I hope we are not seeing a pattern. His early and late slumps could be just a coincidence. In any event, the Sox need him to start hitting with power now. On this road trip. Starting against the Rays, who owned him last year. The club is on a roll. The pitching is coming around. Help is coming from Middlebrooks and Nava. But for how long? Sweeney is cooling off. ( He looks like he's falling away from the plate as he swings. ) So has Aviles, save for yesterday. Pedey is fine.  All in all, it's time for Gonzalez to step up. The Sox would have a better record already if he'd had a few timely hits. I'm not criticizing the man. I think he cares and he comes to play. He seems like a decent person. You want him to do well.  If he gets it going, this club could be trouble and do better hanging on until injured players return.
    Posted by expitch[/QUOTE]

Give him a break. He's hitting .287, just a bit below his career average. His OPS is down but his OBP is still a respectable .360.
    Fortunately, everyone else is picking him up so his lack of power right now is not hurting the team.
    IMO, moving him out of the 3 spot has caused the drop in SLG. He's not seeing good pitches cause the Sox really don't have anyone behind him that other teams are afraid of. He's tied with Papi for the team lead in BB, and pitchers are pitching him away more. No need to pitch him inside.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

"  He is probably the best defender the Sox have ever had at his position."
    absolutely not!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

His average was down to 250 two weeks ago.  It's up to around 287.  For the month of May, he's batting 310.  His slugging percentage is still down, but at 466 for the month, it's better than where it was and is steadily rising.

He'll be OK.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wideright. Show wideright's posts

Please stop with the Drew bashing he is gone, and was big part of a world series. Lackey is a bust, Crawford so far no good, Jenks lousy but not a big financial committment. As for Gonzo really good last year and so far disappointing, But you cannot at this stage call it a bad signing.

A lot of GM's if they had the money would have done the same contract as Theo did.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Well, I said these things many times from the get go and will say it again:

*  I'd rather have Youk at 1B and Beltre at 3B (although I think Beltre's last year of his contract will be worse than AG's)

*  I am not comfortable with the extension they gave AG

*  And I compared his offensive output to Billy Muellar in 2003; of course I got killed for it but go back and look at Mullar's 2003 stats and compare them to AG's last year or more specifically, 2nd half of 2011.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Don't forget he had his shoulder surgically repaired in the offseason prior to last season. Bad move on the Red Sox medical staff letting him participate in that derby. In response to "Re: Gonzalez": [QUOTE]If I were in charge, I'd never let another player on the team enter the home run contest at the All Star game.  Gonzo hasn't been the same hitter since. Posted by DisplacedSoxFan[/QUOTE]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wideright. Show wideright's posts

Please stop with the Drew bashing he is gone, and was big part of a world series. Lackey is a bust, Crawford so far no good, Jenks lousy but not a big financial committment. As for Gonzo really good last year and so far disappointing, But you cannot at this stage call it a bad signing.

A lot of GM's if they had the money would have done the same contract as Theo did.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Hmmm.  I think a problem people run into when evaluating basbeall players is that they get an idea in their heads, and that idea keeps them static in their appraisal.

Adrian indeed experienced a power dip post all-star break last year.  I don't know if it was the shoulder, the HR derby, or a combo platter. But, we can say with certainty that it happened.

And he certainly started slow this year.  Yes, a spray hitter.

But, as the weather has started to turn, Adrian has started to pick it up.  If we look at the last two weeks, he has an OPS of .950 (over 1.0 last week).  No, the HR stroke has not come yet, but 6 of his last 7 hits have been doubles.  To boot, he would have put at least 2 that I saw in this last homestand out of other parks (the Wall giveth and the Wall taketh away).  He has looked much more like Adrian Gonzalez in the past couple weeks.

I would venture, based on his 1 HR and relatively pedestrian .457 slugging % in April in 2011, that Adrian, San Diego boy that he is, has trouble, as many power hitters do, in the cold weather.

In any case, I'd say some people need to pay closer attention to what is happening now and pay a little less attention to raw HR #s.  I would hate for people to miss out on what Adrian is actually doing.  It is pretty fun.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Re: Gonzalez:
    [QUOTE]Hmmm.  I think a problem people run into when evaluating basbeall players is that they get an idea in their heads, and that idea keeps them static in their appraisal. Adrian indeed experienced a power dip post all-star break last year.  I don't know if it was the shoulder, the HR derby, or a combo platter. But, we can say with certainty that it happened. And he certainly started slow this year.  Yes, a spray hitter. But, as the weather has started to turn, Adrian has started to pick it up.  If we look at the last two weeks, he has an OPS of .950 (over 1.0 last week).  No, the HR stroke has not come yet, but 6 of his last 7 hits have been doubles.  To boot, he would have put at least 2 that I saw in this last homestand out of other parks (the Wall giveth and the Wall taketh away).  He has looked much more like Adrian Gonzalez in the past couple weeks. I would venture, based on his 1 HR and relatively pedestrian .457 slugging % in April in 2011, that Adrian, San Diego boy that he is, has trouble, as many power hitters do, in the cold weather. In any case, I'd say some people need to pay closer attention to what is happening now and pay a little less attention to raw HR #s.  I would hate for people to miss out on what Adrian is actually doing.  It is pretty fun.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

I am paying attention to what is happening now and it makes me miss Billy Muellar, his gritty play, clutch hits and affordable salary even more!

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

I feel that Gonzales has a good chances to come back. I just wish we would stop signing players to fat contracts and being surprised by the result.

The biggest disappointment for the Adrian signing was all the money we eventually agreed to and then giving up the farm as well. I would much rather keep my good prospects and take the cash and place many small bets on other young talent that didn't go in the first round.

You have to be really awful at picking and developing talent to not come up with anything out of a lot of picks.

The big money is not carrying the team right now. It's the small "pleasant surprises" that have gotten us back close to .500 again.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

[QUOTE]And Mike Aviles and Cody Ross each have more runs batted in and a better slugging percentage than Gonzalez. Daniel Nava has one home run less than Gonzo and he's batted fifteen times this year.
    Posted by davetheknave[/QUOTE]
    Bingo.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TampaTom. Show TampaTom's posts

He worries me a lot. The hits he gets are REAL weak. Pedroia smashes the ball, he sprays it at best.....$20million for that? 40 Homers in SD? Im mystified but all this???/

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gonzalez : I am paying attention to what is happening now and it makes me miss Billy Muellar, his gritty play, clutch hits and affordable salary even more!
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

OK.  Um.  I miss Manny Ramirez in his prime.  I miss Fred Lynn.  I miss Dave Henderson and his modest contract.  I miss Tony Conigliaro.  

That doesn't change that Gonzalez is obviously heating up, you are missing it, and, paying attention to history, we can reasonably assume that Gonzalez will turn in yet another really good season.  

And if you think Billy Meullar never hit rough patches at the plate, then you weren't paying attention then either.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]"  He is probably the best defender the Sox have ever had at his position." absolutely not!
    Posted by MichFan[/QUOTE]
    Then who is?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Folks need to relax.  AGon got a big long contract because he was:
    1 - Under 30
    2 -  GG quality first baseman 
    3 - Has been an elite hitter for his whole career

Yes, we'd love more HRs.  But there is simply no way someone has a half year slump and still finishes the year with a .957 OPS.  Last year was probably the 2nd best of his career.  So relax, he'll heat up with the weather and be fine.  Why do I think this? Because he has had a 900 OPS over his last ONE THOUSAND GAMES.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gonzalez : OK.  Um.  I miss Manny Ramirez in his prime.  I miss Fred Lynn.  I miss Dave Henderson and his modest contract.  I miss Tony Conigliaro.   That doesn't change that Gonzalez is obviously heating up, you are missing it, and, paying attention to history, we can reasonably assume that Gonzalez will turn in yet another really good season.   And if you think Billy Meullar never hit rough patches at the plate, then you weren't paying attention then either.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

I am sorry but I guess you missed the point

Billy Muelllar was a journeyman that is why I brought his name up to compare him w/ AG.

You brought up Manny Rameriz?  Tony C?  Lynn?  Really?  Of course you would expect similar output.

Anyways, I stand by the point I made last year - and compare AG to Billy Muellar.....154 million for Muellar?  No way but I loved his style of play.  Let me know when AG knocks Rivera off the field - TWICE...once w/ a Homer and once in an elimination playoff game........Never gonna happen........