Gonzalez

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: Gonzalez

There are some guys I suspect that got ruined by playing in Fenway, and I think Bay is a perfect example.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

But Bay was a solid player in Pitt....could be a combination of age, injury and bigger ball park......That's why I say trade Bay for Crawford and see what happens.......

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Oh I agree about Bay being solid in Pittsburgh, but think about it. It's like he got progressively worse on the road even in his last season with Boston. Then it got even worse in NY. Pittsburgh would have no impact on Bay's time in Boston, so I'm thinking he screwed up his entire swing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I'd take Bay back on that alone. In other words, he hit home runs in Boston and that's what seems to be a theme that people want from LF--a righty with power.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Has anybody considered that Gonzalez's lack of power might be intentional?

He's not on the Padres any more - maybe he hit home runs all the time because he knew nobody else on the team could bring in the run.  And maybe now he feels like he can take the approach he wants with each pitch.

He hasn't sniffed a 40 HR season since he's been with the Sox, but he never came close to a .338 average previously.  When 2011 was all said and done, he had matched the best OPS of his career.  Would it have been any more impressive if he had hit .290 with 40 HRs?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

fair point but yes, i'd take the power over the average given the parameters you laid out

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In Response to Re: Gonzalez:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gonzalez : Yes, and this was the arguement AGAINST Drew.   He was brought in to bat in the middle of the order and to be a run producer.  There is no disputing that.  His contract supported that.  But when he becomes purely a guy who can take more than his fair share of walks, the spin comes out and we are told this is what he was brought here for. I can't wait to hear that AG was brought here to be a good defensive 1B.  Why not just keep Kotchman if that were the case?
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

No doubt they expected more slugging from Gonzalez playing half his games in Fenway, which he did a bit of last season. But the fans here were all drooling over a potential 60 HR season and he has fallen far short in the true slugging department. His lifetime SLG PCTG is about .511, and that is not an elite level. It seems that the ballpark effect is not as big a factor as they anticipated. As I have said of other players, maybe Gonzalez is not a great fit in Boston. Big Papi has thrived with the Sox and became a true elite slugger. AG will most likely never approach the slugging levels Papi achieved at the same age.

His defense is a nice bonus, but it certainly was his hitting that had the FO and the fans drooling. Being a nice, smooth good, hitter is fine, but his role should really be the same as Papi's: one of the big guns in the middle of the lineup who can change the momentum of the game with one swing of the bat. He has done very little of that so far this season.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wolfpack13. Show Wolfpack13's posts

Andrewmitch I'm sorry to always pick on you, but I think it's for your own good. You really should pick up a new interest because you are a box of rocks when it comes to baseball. Three stupid points:
    1.) Trade Crawford for Bay. Trust me and everyone else... it's dumb.
    2.) You miss Bill Mueller. Dude who cares it was almost a decade ago. Do you go to bed at night thinking of the chick that dissed you at prom ten years ago? Don't answer that. He had one incredible year and the rest ho hum. He was a great VALUE, but it's IMPOSSIBLE for a GM to always find value like that.
    3.) You would've had Beltre at 3B and kept YOUK at first... you're an awesome GM. Your STUD 1b would've hit 18 homers last year and ZERO this year.
    I'm not sure what is worse: your point or the information you choose to back up your point. Darn do I miss Manny Ramirez, Pedro Martinez and Nomar (in his good years only do I miss him). Ha Ha.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gonzalez : No doubt they expected more slugging from Gonzalez playing half his games in Fenway, which he did a bit of last season. But the fans here were all drooling over a potential 60 HR season and he has fallen far short in the true slugging department. His lifetime SLG PCTG is about .511, and that is not an elite level. It seems that the ballpark effect is not as big a factor as they anticipated. As I have said of other players, maybe Gonzalez is not a great fit in Boston. Big Papi has thrived with the Sox and became a true elite slugger. AG will most likely never approach the slugging levels Papi achieved at the same age. His defense is a nice bonus, but it certainly was his hitting that had the FO and the fans drooling. Being a nice, smooth good, hitter is fine, but his role should really be the same as Papi's: one of the big guns in the middle of the lineup who can change the momentum of the game with one swing of the bat. He has done very little of that so far this season.
    Posted by devildavid[/QUOTE]

Remember, AG was sold to us as a "Left Handed Hitting" Manny Rameriz.  I thought that was a joke then, but figured they knew better than me.  And now, I was right, again........

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]Andrewmitch I'm sorry to always pick on you, but I think it's for your own good. You really should pick up a new interest because you are a box of rocks when it comes to baseball. Three stupid points: 1.) Trade Crawford for Bay. Trust me and everyone else... it's dumb. 2.) You miss Bill Mueller. Dude who cares it was almost a decade ago. Do you go to bed at night thinking of the chick that dissed you at prom ten years ago? Don't answer that. He had one incredible year and the rest ho hum. He was a great VALUE, but it's IMPOSSIBLE for a GM to always find value like that. 3.) You would've had Beltre at 3B and kept YOUK at first... you're an awesome GM. Your STUD 1b would've hit 18 homers last year and ZERO this year. I'm not sure what is worse: your point or the information you choose to back up your point. Darn do I miss Manny Ramirez, Pedro Martinez and Nomar (in his good years only do I miss him). Ha Ha.
    Posted by Wolfpack13[/QUOTE]

Your little "analysis" is pathetic.  You offer no insight, just words like "dumb" and other personal attacks and insults.   That's about as much of a response as your post deserves.  Good luck to you though!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

hard to bash Bay when the Sox have CC still on the roster.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Mueller was our last great third-basmen! Period. Youk has not done anything since he took it over and Beltre was here only for a year, and he injured his own players in the field. We could use a Mueller right here, right now.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]Mueller was our last great third-basmen! Period. Youk has not done anything since he took it over and Beltre was here only for a year, and he injured his own players in the field. We could use a Mueller right here, right now.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

What about the 2007 World Series MVP?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]hard to bash Bay when the Sox have CC still on the roster.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

It's hard to bash anybody when CC is still on your roster.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

burrito forgot about Mike Lowell, oops.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Mueller was our last great third-basmen! Period. Youk has not done anything since he took it over and Beltre was here only for a year, and he injured his own players in the field. We could use a Mueller right here, right now.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

What did you think of Mike Lowell?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

lol.... sorry. a few beers and Mike Lowell is my favorit third-basmen ever, and I mean that.