Gonzo a BUST! Admit it!! 20 million a year for this BUM?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

Re: Gonzo a BUST! Admit it!! 20 million a year for this BUM?

Who cares (for you carnie)

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

he's been in a funk since 2nd half last yr...he has been underwhelming - certainly not as advertised...and not worth moving Youk over for....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: Gonzo a BUST! Admit it!! 20 million a year for this BUM?:
    [QUOTE]he's been in a funk since 2nd half last yr...he has been underwhelming - certainly not as advertised...and not worth moving Youk over for....
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]
    And I hate to bring this up ... but Adrian Beltre.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

yea lloyd, Theo's obsessions have come back to really restrict us financially and disappoint us with their play...weird because i was sooo excited about lackey, crawford, and agon...it just seems to get worse with these guys...

we could be in seriously deep chit in a few years...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

cmon Gonzo, prove my wrong...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Yes!  He has been UNDERWHELMING since the ALL-Star break, BUT....... "A BUST??????"

Please!  He will heat up!  Sure is frustrating though!!!!

Well,  here's his chance to finally come through????

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Fuuuuuuuuuuu nnnny!  That didn't help!  Ground out!  :(

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Gonzo's a great hitter in a nasty slump.  He'll come out of it soon.  But the lack of power is a little worrisome.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Yup, he's an overpaid player who's never won anything.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

gonzo's lucky to hit the ball out of the infield. he has
    no spark and doesn't even look like he is enjoying the
    game.
    Whatta shame. These bums play like an AAA team
    and with the exception of Papi and Pedroia, are just
    going through the motions. The Orioles will sweep us
    this weekend, without a doubt.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

I'd like to think he'll turn it up but he has been disappointing so far.  He's not a bust but he also hasn't lived up to expectations. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

The guy hit .338 last year, barely missing a batting title, with 117 RBIs, just two shy from a career high. That's hardly a bust or disappointing.

He started a bit slow last year. In April last year, he had 1 HR, 15 RBI (26 games). This year he has 2 HR and 15 RBI in April (22 games). So by games, he's on a pace for 115 RBIs -- and this is before he goes on a tear like he did last year when the weather heated up.

As for the second half last year, he cooled off a bit. considering how hot he was in May an June, but still hit .318 in September with 14 RBIs. He hit 4 HRs, which is just one off a 30-HR pace (5 HRs/month for six months). He hit .373 in July and .283 in August with five HRs).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Still I am amazed people think AGon was going to be a 40+ homer player... he might do that once or twice along the way but he will probably average 30 homers a season... which to some of you that seems to imply he isn't any good.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]Yup, he's an overpaid player who's never won anything.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

Let's not forget that the terrible Ernie Banks, Carl Yastrzemski and even worse Ted Williams also never won anything.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]The guy hit .338 last year, barely missing a batting title, with 117 RBIs, just two shy from a career high. That's hardly a bust or disappointing. He started a bit slow last year. In April last year, he had 1 HR, 15 RBI (26 games). This year he has 2 HR and 15 RBI in April (22 games). So by games, he's on a pace for 115 RBIs -- and this is before he goes on a tear like he did last year when the weather heated up. As for the second half last year, he cooled off a bit. considering how hot he was in May an June, but still hit .318 in September with 14 RBIs. He hit 4 HRs, which is just one off a 30-HR pace (5 HRs/month for six months). He hit .373 in July and .283 in August with five HRs).
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

roy, why ruin a perfectly good igorant rant with your pesky little facts and projections?  They have already made up their "minds" on AGon....he's rubbish, they're brilliant baseball guys.  Simple.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill2. Show aussiewill2's posts

He is awful, 9 home runs in his last 101 games , since after the All Star game, he hits the cripples pitchers. No clutch hits, $154 million, wait till we get Crawford back. Bobby V is not a miracle worker. Gonzo can't make it from first to home on a ball hit to the triangle, slowest runner in MLB, great glove as long as is hit at him, Has no range.. thank G-d Theo the Brookline genius is gone. $184 million payroll, and we have Caesar Romero playing first base.
    The American League managers and pitchers have Ceasar figured out. He will be a bigger bust than Crawford. At least crawford can run, when he isn't on the DL.

Money Ball Billy Beane makes a joke out of the big spending Red Sox. How long did you think Ortiz would hit .400, I'm glad Big Papi got his pay day, he is the goods, Gonzo is a joke. Just watch.[QUOTE]Gonzo's a great hitter in a nasty slump.  He'll come out of it soon.  But the lack of power is a little worrisome.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

[QUOTE]Still I am amazed people think AGon was going to be a 40+ homer player... he might do that once or twice along the way but he will probably average 30 homers a season... which to some of you that seems to imply he isn't any good.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Hank Aaron averaged roughly 31 home runs per season without artificial aids and remains the "legit" home run king of all time.  Ted Williams was in the same vicinity but they were very consistent from year to year.  If a guy averages 30 a year for 15-20 seasons he is far more impactful then a guy who has some years with 40+ occassionally but who ultimately doesn't average anywhere near 30 a year: see Yaz. I loved Yaz but he was not a consistent performer from year to year. AGon appears to be a more consistent type of hitter with excellent plate discipline.

I wonder however, if his  previously damaged shoulder is still bothering him . His power drop off from after the All Star game last season is concerning.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

william excellent take. I agree. I think AGon has one or two seasons in him where he might hit 40 but he will usually be around 30.... ad 40+ doubles to that each year and that is some good hitting.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tetonman50. Show tetonman50's posts

I certainly wouldn't call AGon a bust. I think the problem with AGon is that when players are paid $20MM/ year we all expect that they will be the answer to the entire teams problems all season long.
    Baseball isn't the real world.  In Baseball if you hit .325 every year you probably get into the Hall Of Fame.  In the real world ( unless your too big to fail ) a .325 batting average gets you an unemployment check.
    Being paid $20MM/year does not mean the guy will never have a slump, any more than it will mean he will ever hit 40 home runs in a year for us.   For sure he will have his moments in the sun, but $20MM/year worth of them is probably doubtful.
    To me the real issue surrounding Agon, is that I believe at the time of his signing there was an overly rosy view of the quality of our pitching.  
    When GM's with check books like Theo had to work with, are writing out checks this big, they really need to make sure they completely understand what need really needs to filled.  To me Theo blew it big time that way the last few years he was here, and the team will suffer because it that for a while yet.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]I certainly wouldn't call AGon a bust. I think the problem with AGon is that when players are paid $20MM/ year we all expect that they will be the answer to the entire teams problems all season long. Baseball isn't the real world.  In Baseball if you hit .325 every year you probably get into the Hall Of Fame.  In the real world ( unless your too big to fail ) a .325 batting average gets you an unemployment check. Being paid $20MM/year does not mean the guy will never have a slump, any more than it will mean he will ever hit 40 home runs in a year for us.   For sure he will have his moments in the sun, but $20MM/year worth of them is probably doubtful. To me the real issue surrounding Agon, is that I believe at the time of his signing there was an overly rosy view of the quality of our pitching.   When GM's with check books like Theo had to work with, are writing out checks this big, they really need to make sure they completely understand what need really needs to filled.  To me Theo blew it big time that way the last few years he was here, and the team will suffer because it that for a while yet.  
    Posted by tetonman50[/QUOTE]

"we all expect".  No, not we allSome nitwits expect that they will be the answer to the entire teams problems all season long.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.