Gonzo a BUST! Admit it!! 20 million a year for this BUM?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Gonzo a BUST! Admit it!! 20 million a year for this BUM?

Wow..didn't think Id see a thread trashing Gonzo after only ONE MONTH...Good post Roy, but I'm sure some folks wont let the facts get in the way of their argument...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

This is stupid calling Agon a BUM... Obviously cactus doesn't know the game of baseball.. And I just hate that he posted single line of 2012 Agon stats and calling him a BUM... Stupidity...
    I guess Angels fans are devastated and crying since they have the most expensive BUM right?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tombirner. Show tombirner's posts

In Response to Re: Gonzo a BUST! Admit it!! 20 million a year for this BUM?:
    [QUOTE]Wow..didn't think Id see a thread trashing Gonzo after only ONE MONTH...Good post Roy, but I'm sure some folks wont let the facts get in the way of their argument...
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]

I've been meaning to post about Gonzo for a while.

I notice other team's announcers refer to him as basically a superstar, saying he basically knocked his Red Sox debut out of the park, had a great year, and clearly excels with that team and that kind of pressure. They point to his numbers from last year... and... well, they keep track of the numbers for a reason, I suppose.

But I really do hesitate to call him a superstar or even a "great" player. Can't believe he didn't hit even thirty home runs last year, and he ain't hitting many this year for sure. Sure, 28 (is that right?) home runs is very good, but if someone in the Red Sox said they expected that number when they made the trade, they'd be lying.

He's a good fielder. I guess. Anyway that's what they say. It's hard to judge range, but being that he's incredibly slow, I don't see how he could have great range. Don't see him make many spectacular plays in the field, but that's where the big, brawny sluggers play (or the big, brawny non-sluggers, as in Adrian's case). Definitely makes some good picks at first.

I don't have numbers to back this up right now, but he really doesn't seem to be a clutch player. So far. I can't recall one big hit he's had since coming here. In fact, I guess the point is I don't remember any of his hits since coming here, as none of them were memorable. I'd be interested to see his numbers against the Rays/Yankees, his numbers from the 6th or 7th inning on... I think his numbers with runners in scoring position have generally been pretty good, so maybe I'm not on the right track here.

Regardless, I definitely would not say he's a bust, but I guess I expected a little more. That whole God talk after last September's disaster kind of had me rolling my eyes as well.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Gonzo a BUST! Admit it!! 20 million a year for this BUM?:
    [QUOTE]Gonzo stats : 2012 Season AVG HR RBI OBP .258 2 15 .337
    Posted by cactusTony[/QUOTE]

Hmmm...have you ever heard of a slump?

Even the greatest have them.

Are you watching baseball ... understanding baseball?

This is a frustrating time but don't go blowing your w_d.

Makes you look stupid as well as frustrated.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gonzo a BUST! Admit it!! 20 million a year for this BUM? : "we all expect".  No, not we all .  Some nitwits expect that they will be the answer to the entire teams problems all season long.
    Posted by Chilliwings[/QUOTE]

Sad but true.

And they are supposed to do the wash, iron it, spit shine their sneakers, polish their non-convoluted brains ....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

This board is insane at times.  By the end of the year He will be around 300 or more, will have hit 30 or so homers and will driven in 100 or more runs.  Is he worth the contract?  Probably not but it flys in the face of reason to think that all of a sudden he cannot hit anymore.  He hit 338 last year.  I am not sure if folks are aware but that is considered good.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Looks to be holding a little bit more of LB's in his frame......  Those are called THEO  $$$$$$$$$$$$'s ......

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE] I don't have numbers to back this up right now, but he really doesn't seem to be a clutch player. So far. I can't recall one big hit he's had since coming here. In fact, I guess the point is I don't remember any of his hits since coming here, as none of them were memorable.
    Posted by tombirner[/QUOTE]

It really wouldn't take much to prove you wrong.  He carried the team last season almost single handedly until others started getting hot.  He was hitting in the high .300's until well past the AS break.  Finished with a LOUSY .338, a mere 46 points higher than his lifetime average...

Yup you don't remember .... heck, a whole lot of A WHOLE LOT.

Unbelievable.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Michaelkayn. Show Michaelkayn's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gonzo a BUST! Admit it!! 20 million a year for this BUM? : And I hate to bring this up ... but Adrian Beltre.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

Damn Right!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Mark Teixeira - $22.5M
    Albert Pujols - $30M at the age of 41
    Prince Fielder - $23M
    Ryan Howard - $20M not playing, $25M at 34
    Joey Votto - signed 13-yr contract.. WHAT??
    Adrian Gonzalez - $21M 

tell me Agon's contract is not worth it...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]Mark Teixeira - $22.5M Albert Pujols - $30M at the age of 41 Prince Fielder - $23M Ryan Howard - $20M not playing, $25M at 34 Joey Votto - signed 13-yr contract.. WHAT?? Adrian Gonzalez - $21M   tell me Agon's contract is not worth it...
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE] yeah, i'm a Yankee fan, but this thread title is nuts... 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RS75. Show RS75's posts

Gonzo'll be fine but he does appear to be pressing a bit in this first year of a big contract -- not unlike Crawford last year or Pujols this year.  It's still less than thirty games.  Gonzo will pull out of it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]Mark Teixeira - $22.5M Albert Pujols - $30M at the age of 41 Prince Fielder - $23M Ryan Howard - $20M not playing, $25M at 34 Joey Votto - signed 13-yr contract.. WHAT?? Adrian Gonzalez - $21M   tell me Agon's contract is not worth it...
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]

I secretly hoped I was the only one noting how good Votto was getting 3 or 4 seasons ago.  Like all good Red Sox fans I was hoping we could trade a bag of rocks for him and then just enjoy his blossoming here.  {:oP

Cincy decided they were not gonna lose their "Pujols" ...

Adrian will get hot, he has been well known as a streak hitter ... only his streaks are usually hotter and longer than a lot of others.

In reality, no one is worth $20 million a year for playing baseball.  But in context of the sport, he is worth it both on the field and in the sense of value to the whole mindset of the team.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Carl Crawford is a bust.

Adrian Gonzalez is off to a slow start.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

for those who may not remember, the same thing happened last season. Everyone wondered if it was his shoulder. Then he heated up with the weather. Gonzales is a Mexico/Cali guy. Still cool and damp in New England this time of year. .

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

[QUOTE]This is stupid calling Agon a BUM... Obviously cactus doesn't know the game of baseball.. And I just hate that he posted single line of 2012 Agon stats and calling him a BUM... Stupidity... I guess Angels fans are devastated and crying since they have the most expensive BUM right?
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]

His screen name should be peyoteTony cause he has to be high to say that.
    All great hitters hit a skid once in a while. I'm not worried about him nor am I worried about a lack of power. Clowns on here who are calling him out are just clueless about baseball.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from chiefret. Show chiefret's posts

AGon's numbers aren't bad compared to Big Al Pujols's laughable numbers - 25 GMs, 107 PAs, .208 BA, 0 HRs, 5 RBIs, .539 OPS. Both players are obviously struggling but both will probably put up career avg. numbers by seasons end. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

The only 2 Sox players I have confidence in when they come to bat are Pedroia & Ortiz !!! For the money Agon gets we should have the same confidence in him !!!

He's overpaid !!!

Don't like being  a Monday Morning Quarterback but I'd have loved to have kept Beltre & VMartinez( I know he's hurt now) & still gone after Agon perhaps. Get Salty as we did(maybe Napoli who always kills us) & let Tek walk as we did.  Youkilis(hurt now I know) could have subbed at 1st & 3rd & be a DH too. Money saved from not going after Crawford would have allowed us to keep all 3 and maybe gone after Hunter Pence but even keeping mediocre Cameron, McDonald & Reddick wouldn't have been worse than Crawford. Heck, I'd have rather had our old friend Coco Crisp instead of CC. I even wish we had 10 yr older Johnny Damon before he went to Rays---I'd have loved to have kept him after 2004 when he went to the Yankees and got another ring--- instead of CC. He said he didn't want to come to us and it wasn't a question of money. When someone says that, "Ask the Question Again". 

I miss Reddick and always liked him but, yup, losing Paps I realize we needed Bailey and bad luck he's hurt.

Lackey & DiceK...well, that's just bad luck too !!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

[QUOTE]The only 2 Sox players I have confidence in when they come to bat are Pedroia & Ortiz !!! For the money Agon gets we should have the same confidence in him !!! He's overpaid !!! Don't like being  a Monday Morning Quarterback but I'd have loved to have kept Beltre & VMartinez( I know he's hurt now) & still gone after Agon perhaps. Get Salty as we did(maybe Napoli who always kills us) & let Tek walk as we did.  Youkilis(hurt now I know) could have subed at 1st & 3rd & be a DH too. Money saved from not going after Crawford would have allowed us to keep all 3 and maybe gone after Hunter Pence but even keeping mediocre Cameron, McDonald & Reddick wouldn't have been worse than Crawford. Heck, I'd have rather had our old friend Coco Crisp instead of CC. I even wish we had 10 yr older Johnny Damon before he went to Rays---I'd have loved to have kept him after 2004 when he went to the Yankees and got another ring--- instead of CC. He said he didn't want to come to us and it wasn't a question of money. When someone says that, "Ask the Question Again".  I miss Reddick and always liked him but, yup, losing Paps I realize we needed Bailey and bad luck he's hurt.
    Posted by mandobello[/QUOTE]

everyone is overpaid... US median income is about $45K.  do you know how much $$$ a major league bench player at least get just warming up that bench all year? $400K.  Every single althetes are overpaid.  So stop saying he's overpaid. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Gonzalez will be fine.  May is historically a very good month for him (at least 9 HRs in 3 of the last 4 years) and he is about to face some tasty Baltimore and KC pitching.  Seems like a likely time for him to start heating up.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

[QUOTE]william excellent take. I agree. I think AGon has one or two seasons in him where he might hit 40 but he will usually be around 30.... ad 40+ doubles to that each year and that is some good hitting.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Thanks Burrito,

Yaz often pushed himself so hard he played through many injuries, not unlike Youk.  In many ways he was the anti JD Drew so it hurt him statistically but his rebounding years from 76-79 were vintage Yaz and it was a pleasure to watch!

BTW Sweeny has no home runs and I truly couldn't care less!  He is on pace for something like 65 freakin' doubles!  It would still add up to a lot of run production in the end!  I say leave him alone!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gonzo a BUST! Admit it!! 20 million a year for this BUM? : Thanks Burrito, Yaz often pushed himself so hard he played through many injuries, not unlike Youk.  In many ways he was the anti JD Drew so it hurt him statistically but his rebounding years from 76-79 were vintage Yaz and it was a pleasure to watch! BTW Sweeny has no home runs and I truly couldn't care less!  He is on pace for something like 65 freakin' doubles!  It would still add up to a lot of run production in the end!  I say leave him alone!
    Posted by william93063[/QUOTE]

I agree. Sweeney is just doing what #2 hitter should do.  His swing is not a HR swing.  And he's using whole field.  don't care he dosen't hit HRs. as long as he moves baserunners safely..

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from wideright. Show wideright's posts

not yet, give it time. Texeira starts slow every year and ends up with 30 hrs

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Geo - you really nailed it

*  Underwhelming

*  Not clutch

*  Theo's Man Crush got the best of him

*  Destroyed Youk

*  Cost us The Other Adrian (Beltre)

*  Large/long term contract can come to bite us

But let me add:

I can not stand the way he goes down the line.  Could it kill him to show a little hustle?

However....he is certainly not a bust....at least not in this point in time.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

^^^We could have kept Beltre and either traded Youk or let Papi go and Youk to DH.  Then of course, everyone would flip out every time Beltre hit the DL between now and September 2015.

I don't know how you call a guy underwhelming when he hit .338 / .410 / .547 last year with 45 doubles, 3 triples and 27 HRs.  What does it take to impress you people.