Gonzo a BUST! Admit it!! 20 million a year for this BUM?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: Gonzo a BUST! Admit it!! 20 million a year for this BUM?

True he had a nice year last year but

1)  the power dropped off markedly in the second half

2)  there was a noticable lack of clutch hitting

3)  why didn't you present his stats for 2012?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In Response to Re: Gonzo a BUST! Admit it!! 20 million a year for this BUM?:
    [QUOTE]^^^We could have kept Beltre and either traded Youk or let Papi go and Youk to DH.  Then of course, everyone would flip out every time Beltre hit the DL between now and September 2015. I don't know how you call a guy underwhelming when he hit .338 / .410 / .547 last year with 45 doubles, 3 triples and 27 HRs.  What does it take to impress you people.
    Posted by 111SoxFan111[/QUOTE]

well said.. If Agon hits 55 HRs drives in 150 RBI 50+ 2B&3B but his batting avg is below .300 they are gonna say he needs to hit consistently.. tough world...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

[QUOTE]True he had a nice year last year but 1)  the power dropped off markedly in the second half 2)  there was a noticable lack of clutch hitting 3)  why didn't you present his stats for 2012?
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

2012 stats?????????????????????????????????????????????????????? you call 24 games played a 2012 stats??????????????????????? seriously????????
    you need to think with your BRAIN before speaking

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

[QUOTE]True he had a nice year last year but 1)  the power dropped off markedly in the second half 2)  there was a noticable lack of clutch hitting 3)  why didn't you present his stats for 2012?
    1 - Yes, more power would have been nice and it would have made a great season a ridiculous one.  But consider this: how many triple crown winners have we had since AGon was born?

2 - Clutch hitting is mostly a myth created by extremely small sample sizes.

3 - Because we are only a month into the season ... baseball is a streaky game that evens out over a long season.  Every yahoo on this board thinks they are a genius if they happen to be right on some snap judgement they make based on a tiny sample size ... whether it is calling someone's career over based on a one month slump (see Father, Large), or proclaiming some kid the next super star because he had a hot month (where is Shea Hillenbrand these days).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gonzo a BUST! Admit it!! 20 million a year for this BUM? : 1 - Yes, more power would have been nice and it would have made a great season a ridiculous one.  But consider this: how many triple crown winners have we had since AGon was born? 2 - Clutch hitting is mostly a myth created by extremely small sample sizes. 3 - Because we are only a month into the season ... baseball is a streaky game that evens out over a long season.  Every yahoo on this board thinks they are a genius if they happen to be right on some snap judgement they make based on a tiny sample size ... whether it is calling someone's career over based on a one month slump (see Father, Large), or proclaiming some kid the next super star because he had a hot month (where is Shea Hillenbrand these days).

Ignore Andrew... he's comparing 24 games to 159 games...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

^^^ Yeah, but then I would have to ignore everyone here with about 5-10 exceptions.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gonzo a BUST! Admit it!! 20 million a year for this BUM? : 1 - Yes, more power would have been nice and it would have made a great season a ridiculous one.  But consider this: how many triple crown winners have we had since AGon was born? 2 - Clutch hitting is mostly a myth created by extremely small sample sizes. 3 - Because we are only a month into the season ... baseball is a streaky game that evens out over a long season.  Every yahoo on this board thinks they are a genius if they happen to be right on some snap judgement they make based on a tiny sample size ... whether it is calling someone's career over based on a one month slump (see Father, Large), or proclaiming some kid the next super star because he had a hot month (where is Shea Hillenbrand these days).

If Clutch hitting is a myth then so are Yaz, Dewey, and Big Papi

I am sorry if you think that a month of the season is insigificant. 

Again, he's not a bust and he's not a bum.  However, for what he's being paid right now he is nothing to write home about.  We are a sub 500 team and we would be much worse if it weren't for the likes of guys like Ross and Sweeney and Aviles - but Gonzo?  perhaps if he hit his weight we wouldn't be in the cellar right now......

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]^^^ Yeah, but then I would have to ignore everyone here with about 5-10 exceptions.

I am sorry, I lost you.  Not sure what you're resonding to......

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gonzo a BUST! Admit it!! 20 million a year for this BUM? : If Clutch hitting is a myth then so are Yaz, Dewey, and Big Papi I am sorry if you think that a month of the season is insigificant.  Again, he's not a bust and he's not a bum.  However, for what he's being paid right now he is nothing to write home about.  We are a sub 500 team and we would be much worse if it weren't for the likes of guys like Ross and Sweeney and Aviles - but Gonzo?  perhaps if he hit his weight we wouldn't be in the cellar right now......
    ... and that's what this thread is about, in fact, this whole discussion board.  It is pink hat BS.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

His new contract began this year.  He's being paid 22 million a year for 7 years.  And his start is not acceptable.

Right now?  What else should we look at?  Last year is over.  I am not saying "what have you done for me lately" but what has he done THIS YEAR ?

Again, not a bum and there is a LONG way to go into his contract but he's been a little disappointing lately and this goes back to the end of last year as well.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

[QUOTE]His new contract began this year.  He's being paid 22 million a year for 7 years.  And his start is not acceptable. Right now?  What else should we look at?  Last year is over.  I am not saying "what have you done for me lately" but what has he done THIS YEAR ? Again, not a bum and there is a LONG way to go into his contract but he's been a little disappointing lately and this goes back to the end of last year as well.

"what have you done for me lately" but what has he done THIS YEAR ?
    Again.. you only have April in your 2012 calendar? and you are disappointed because of his April... keep talking and you make more fool out of yourself...

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

More bust less nuts please!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

You guys are at least turning idiocy into humor ....

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]His new contract began this year.  He's being paid 22 million a year for 7 years.  And his start is not acceptable. Right now?  What else should we look at?  Last year is over.  I am not saying "what have you done for me lately" but what has he done THIS YEAR ? Again, not a bum and there is a LONG way to go into his contract but he's been a little disappointing lately and this goes back to the end of last year as well.

If you're starting the clock on his contract this year, then last year he was a $6M player.  But you were still disappointed in him.  Fangraphs places his 2011 value at $29.5M, by the way.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bingobilly. Show bingobilly's posts

It becomes quite obvious that Gonzalez is another "average" athlete who unfortunetly has the leverage to "demand" a salary based on inflationary value in part created by the greedy owners and agents themselves (i.e. I'm profiting huge millions of dollars from the dumb public, so why don't I pay Gonzalez or someone like him big bucks and then I'll profit even more.  All I have to do is sell him to the public as the second coming of Christ and they'll believe it and pay more for tickets and media.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]Right now there are people in LA saying the samething about Pujols and they've been saying the same about Teixeira for at least 2 years; 25 games is way too small a sample size for Gonzalez or Pujols. Teixeira is another story because of his playoff failures.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gonzo a BUST! Admit it!! 20 million a year for this BUM? : hey seannybboi, of all the stats you threw out there, i'm bettng the one that defines a-gone at the end of the year will be batting ave under.300.
    Posted by mryazz[/QUOTE]

if:[if] Show IPA conjunction

1. in case that; granting or supposing that; on condition that: Sing if you want to. Stay indoors if it rains. I'll go if you do.
    2. even though: an enthusiastic if small audience.
    3. whether: He asked if I knew Spanish.
    4. (used to introduce an exclamatory phrase): If only Dad could see me now!
    5. when or whenever: If it was raining, we had to play inside.

Right.. and you will still say he needs to hit consistently...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gonzo a BUST! Admit it!! 20 million a year for this BUM? : If you're starting the clock on his contract this year, then last year he was a $6M player.  But you were still disappointed in him.  Fangraphs places his 2011 value at $29.5M, by the way.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

On a $ basis, last year he was a steal

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

WinkIn Response to Gonzo a BUST! Admit it!! 20 million a year for this BUM?:
    [QUOTE]Gonzo stats : 2012 Season AVG HR RBI OBP .258 2 15 .337
    Posted by cactusTony[/QUOTE]

BDD had ? about should Gonzo be benched, i think not no way, do you think the angels are going to bench pujuls BA .208 and 0 taters, think not... Gonzo will be fine 30hrs+ 120ribies......

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gonzo a BUST! Admit it!! 20 million a year for this BUM? : Right now there are people in LA saying the samething about Pujols and they've been saying the same about Teixeira for at least 2 years; 25 games is way too small a sample size for Gonzalez or Pujols. Teixeira is another story because of his playoff failures.
    Posted by pri360[/QUOTE]

good point

the problem i think is the title of this thread is ridiculous...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Gonzo a BUST! Admit it!! 20 million a year for this BUM? :  BDD had ? about should Gonzo be benched, i think not no way, do you think the angels are going to bench pujuls BA .208 and 0 taters, think not... Gonzo will be fine 30hrs+ 120ribies......
    Posted by 56redsox[/QUOTE]

I agree that benching him would be nuts; dropping him in the order would not be

Also, 30+ HR's aint happening w/ Gonzo and forget 120 RBI