Good article about the Red Sox starting pitchers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Good article about the Red Sox starting pitchers

Here's a paragraph and a link to read the rest.This is just the set up,it gets better after the paragraph I cut and pasted here. 

http://espn.go.com/blog/spring-training/post/_/id/1058/red-sox-rotation-getting-back-in-form

BRADENTON, Fla. -- Every time a Boston Red Sox starting pitcher went to the mound last season, it was history in the making. 

But if you think that’s a good thing, you obviously aren’t a Red Sox fan. 

This, we regret to announce, wasn’t Pedro Martinez/Roger Clemens/Lefty Grove kind of history. 

This was the kind of history that got a manager fired, got a coaching staff overturned, gotJosh Beckett shipped 3,000 miles west and got people wondering about life-altering questions like, “Why did Tim Wakefield retire again?” 

To be slightly more precise, this was the sort of history that revolved around the following magic number: 5.19. 

And no, that wasn’t the area code of John Henry’s cottage in Boca. It was the combined ERA by the starters for the 2012 Red Sox. 

And here’s the big news: It just happened to be the highest ERA by any rotation in franchise history. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Good article about the Red Sox starting pitchers

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

Here's a paragraph and a link to read the rest.This is just the set up,it gets better after the paragraph I cut and pasted here. 

http://espn.go.com/blog/spring-training/post/_/id/1058/red-sox-rotation-getting-back-in-form

BRADENTON, Fla. -- Every time a Boston Red Sox starting pitcher went to the mound last season, it was history in the making. 

This, we regret to announce, wasn’t Pedro Martinez/Roger Clemens/Lefty Grove kind of history. 

This was the kind of history that got a manager fired, got a coaching staff overturned, gotJosh Beckett shipped 3,000 miles west and got people wondering about life-altering questions like, “Why did Tim Wakefield retire again?” 

To be slightly more precise, this was the sort of history that revolved around the following magic number: 5.19. 

And no, that wasn’t the area code of John Henry’s cottage in Boca. It was the combined ERA by the starters for the 2012 Red Sox. 

And here’s the big news: It just happened to be the highest ERA by any rotation in franchise history. 

And, now we have posters saying they are more confident about Lester and Buch and Doubie than they were before the rotation meltdown season of 2012.

Based on a handful of ST starts.

Go figure.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Last year, only the Indians and Twins had a worse ERA among starters.

I think the starters will do better in 2013.  I think their ERA will be around 4.30 to 4.50.

The team will score runs and I like their bullpen.  Their starters will be key.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

And, now we have posters saying they are more confident about Lester and Buch and Doubie than they were before the rotation meltdown season of 2012.

Go figure.

You don't think Lester or Buccholz are capable of pitching better this year?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

No Moon, we just didnt base their whole careers from one bad year, or a few ST starts. Its the people who think Jon Lester is what we saw last year and forget about the 4 years prior to that, to which I say Go Figure. Its the Clay Buchholz that can be an 18 game winner, but ran into a couple injuries and was back on track last year after he was fully recovered, and has now carried it into ST this year. I think those are the 2 guys that everyone expect the most from. What weve seen from the other 3 is without a doubt encouraging. And why shouldnt it be? You talk as if were idiots for being optimistic from what weve seen so far and what we know they are capable of.

As far as Doubie goes, he has serious swing and miss stuff. Thats a fact. Hes just not that efficient, thus a higher whip. But to your point, Im not sure too many people have expressed being more confident with him this year, especially the way he showed up to camp. And Lackey and Dempster are the unknowns right now, but have looked prety good themselves.

Jon Lester was in the Cy Young talks a couple times before 2012 as well as Buchholz. They are both still in the start of their prime and look to be back to top form. Call me a pollyanna then, because I like what Im seeing so far and i have seen what they are capable of.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

Go figure.

Better than they pitched 2010-2011, not likely.

I was comparing expectations now vs our expectations for Lester and Buch last March.

Of course, I expect them to do better than 2012, but I would put the odds at slightly below 50% that both do great and stay healthy all 2013.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Go figure.

I was comparing expectations now vs our expectations for Lester and Buch last March.

Of course, I expect them to do better than 2012, but I would put the odds at slightly below 50% that both do great and stay healthy all 2013.

Yet, you're upset about losing Beckett.

Go figure...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

No Moon, we just didnt base their whole careers from one bad year, or a few ST starts. Its the people who think Jon Lester is what we saw last year and forget about the 4 years prior to that, to which I say Go Figure. Its the Clay Buchholz that can be an 18 game winner, but ran into a couple injuries and was back on track last year after he was fully recovered, and has now carried it into ST this year. I think those are the 2 guys that everyone expect the most from. What weve seen from the other 3 is without a doubt encouraging. And why shouldnt it be? You talk as if were idiots for being optimistic from what weve seen so far and what we know they are capable of.

No, I'm just curious why you guys are more optimistic about these two than you were last year. They both had their worst seasons in a long time. I can't see why a few ST games should make us feel ebetter than we did last March. That was my point. Yes, I expect them to be better than 2012.

As far as Doubie goes, he has serious swing and miss stuff. Thats a fact. Hes just not that efficient, thus a higher whip. But to your point, Im not sure too many people have expressed being more confident with him this year, especially the way he showed up to camp. And Lackey and Dempster are the unknowns right now, but have looked prety good themselves.

I'm not impressed with our 3-5 starters, sorry. I do like Taz, Morales, Webster and Mortensen as out 6-9 starters. They may be close to the best in baseball. It's nice to have 7 guys to choose from for the 3-5 slots, but I'd prefer to have a couple of known solid and durable arms than 7 big ifs.

Jon Lester was in the Cy Young talks a couple times before 2012 as well as Buchholz. They are both still in the start of their prime and look to be back to top form. Call me a pollyanna then, because I like what Im seeing so far and i have seen what they are capable of.

I like what I'm seeing too, but Lester has lost velocity since thos "Cy Young" contending years, and I worry about any player with a previous back injury  and inconsistent stretches (Buch).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

No, I'm just curious why you guys are more optimistic about these two than you were last year. They both had their worst seasons in a long time. I can't see why a few ST games should make us feel ebetter than we did last March. That was my point. Yes, I expect them to be better than 2012.

I'm not impressed with our 3-5 starters, sorry. I do like Taz, Morales, Webster and Mortensen as out 6-9 starters. They may be close to the best in baseball. It's nice to have 7 guys to choose from for the 3-5 slots, but I'd prefer to have a couple of known solid and durable arms than 7 big ifs.

I like what I'm seeing too, but Lester has lost velocity since thos "Cy Young" contending years, and I worry about any player with a previous back injury  and inconsistent stretches (Buch).

Beckett lost more velocity than Lester, but you want him back.

"Beckett, on the other hand, has seen a much more drastic drop in velocity. Last season, Beckett’s average heater rang in at 93 mph. So far this season, he has been sitting at 91.5 mph, topping out at around 94. If this trend continues, it will mark the third straight season in which Beckett has seen a drop in fastball velocity. Over the last few seasons, Beckett has been mixing in more two-seamers and cutters, but with this latest drop in velocity, he has looked more toward the changeup than he has in recent years. At present, pitch f/x shows him throwing the change just over 21 percent of the time. Last season, Beckett used his change more often than he ever had before, throwing it 13.8 percent of the time. Unfortunately, the change has not been a very effective pitch for him this season, going from 7.5 wCH last season to -0.5 wCH early this season. The sample size is still too small to draw a concrete conclusion from, but one could guess that the drop fastball velocity has had a negative affect on the effectiveness of his changeup.

Like Lester, Beckett is not looking like the strikeout artist he was just a year ago."

http://firebrandal.com/2012/05/06/lester-and-beckett-losing-velocity-banking-on-change/

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Go figure.

Yet, you're upset about losing Beckett.

Go figure...

I'm not "upset". I called the Dodger trade "perhaps the best Sox deal of my lifetime", so I'm not sure I'd call me upset.

I do think Beckett is better than Dempster, Lackey or Doubront, and I don't buy into the clubhouse cancer mantra as much as many here do. It's an odd year, so my bet is on Beckett to do way better than any of our 3-5 starters in 2013.

I guess I must look at the odds differently than some here. I feel like some posters look at our players one by one and think they all look like can and should have good years and stay healthy this year. One by one, I wouldn't disagree with almost anyone. However, I think the odds are thin that 3-4 SPs will put together a fine 2013 season. I don't even think the odds favor both lester and Buch to give us 28+ starts and have ERAs below 3.60- something we almost certainly need just to start the discussion on the remainder of the staff.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

"Beckett, on the other hand, has seen a much more drastic drop in velocity. Last season, Beckett’s average heater rang in at 93 mph. So far this season, he has been sitting at 91.5 mph, topping out at around 94. If this trend continues, it will mark the third straight season in which Beckett has seen a drop in fastball velocity. Over the last few seasons, Beckett has been mixing in more two-seamers and cutters, but with this latest drop in velocity, he has looked more toward the changeup than he has in recent years. At present, pitch f/x showshim throwing the change just over 21 percent of the time. Last season, Beckett used his change more often than he ever had before, throwing it 13.8 percent of the time. Unfortunately, the change has not been a very effective pitch for him this season, going from 7.5 wCH last season to -0.5 wCH early this season. The sample size is still too small to draw a concrete conclusion from, but one could guess that the drop fastball velocity has had a negative affect on the effectiveness of his changeup.

Like Lester, Beckett is not looking like the strikeout artist he was just a year ago."

Beckett can pitch not just throw. He proved that in 2011. Lester may be able to do the same, but he hasn't showed it yet, unless you want to count ST this year.

I'd rather have Josh that the aging Dempster. Let's revisit this in October.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

"Beckett, on the other hand, has seen a much more drastic drop in velocity. Last season, Beckett’s average heater rang in at 93 mph. So far this season, he has been sitting at 91.5 mph, topping out at around 94. If this trend continues, it will mark the third straight season in which Beckett has seen a drop in fastball velocity. Over the last few seasons, Beckett has been mixing in more two-seamers and cutters, but with this latest drop in velocity, he has looked more toward the changeup than he has in recent years. At present, pitch f/x showshim throwing the change just over 21 percent of the time. Last season, Beckett used his change more often than he ever had before, throwing it 13.8 percent of the time. Unfortunately, the change has not been a very effective pitch for him this season, going from 7.5 wCH last season to -0.5 wCH early this season. The sample size is still too small to draw a concrete conclusion from, but one could guess that the drop fastball velocity has had a negative affect on the effectiveness of his changeup.

Beckett can pitch not just throw. He proved that in 2011. Lester may be able to do the same, but he hasn't showed it yet, unless you want to count ST this year.

I'd rather have Josh that the aging Dempster. Let's revisit this in October.

If Beckett leared how to pitch in 2011, he sure forgot how to do it last year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

One of the reasons I'm more optimistic is because John Farrell is back with the team.He's worked with Buchholz,Lester and Dubrount so I'm pretty sure there's a sense of familiarity,trust and comfort with him and his advice.I understand he's not the pitching coach,but you have to believe he has some input as far as the pitching staff goes.

Lackey's in better physical shape and has a chip on his shoulder.He was supposedly pitching hurt before,so if he's healthy now,he'll almost have to be better than what we've seen from him in Boston so far.He can't be much worse.

Dempster,I have my doubts about.He wasn't my choice of a pitcher to get this winter,but there also wasn't a lot of quality pitchers available.If he can go something like 11-8 and eat up a lot of innings,I'd be happy with his performance.

A big difference is the bullpen.I think it's one of the teams strength.They have some good arms out there as well as some decent looking prospects ready if they're called up due to injuries

Spring Training is a small sample size,but from what I've seen I believe there's actually hope for the starting pitching.A lot of it is that is probably because I'm a homer and want to see them do well.But sometimes you just got to have faith.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Because I look at last year for Lester as a bad year. Although he isnt throwing 96-97 anymore, hes still at 92-94 consistantly, still hitting 96. I also know that power pitchers usually lose an MPH or 2 around the age of 29-30. Its normal. Lester has great stuff. I knew this before ST this year. He can pitch, not just throw. Which is why I think a Cy Young isnt out of the discussion with him just yet. Buchholz was great after the back was good again last year. Hes working quicker, which is keeping him in a good rhythm. That and hes got some of thee best stuff in all MLB, IMO. I dont just throw all that out from one bad year. Ive ALWAYS believed these 2 were TOTR pitchers, even when everyone was saying they were MOTR guys. I believe they will prove me right this year.

Ive explained how I feel about Doubie, as well as Lackey and Dempster being unknowns this year. Ill admit that I dont expect TOTR pitching from either of them, but I know with Dempster that you dont hang around MLB for 15 years if your not good. From what Ive seen, hes a smart pitcher with great accuracy. Yeah, hes gonna get lit up if hes not spot on, Butlike I said, Im not expecting TOTR stuff from him. I think we can count on about 200IP though. I agree with you about Webster, he looks to be something special, but Id like to see him prove himself throughout a full season. I like what Im seeing though. Taz needs to be stretched out. He hasnt been since returning from TJS a couple years ago, so he cant start until he does. Morales has a bulging disc. That might mean back surgery. Mortensen is Mortensen and Aceves is really your only legit spot starter right now besides Wright. They need more starting depth IMO.

I explained the natural loss of velocity with power pitchers his age. He can "pitch" though and not just be a "thrower". Thats the difference between him and Beckett. I understand the concern for Buch's back, but there have been no signs of that rearing its ugly head since the end of the 2011 season. It just took him a couple months to get back into it last year. But when he did, he was pretty awesome. I think hes even better this year. He won 17 games in 2010 and was in the Cy Young discussion also. He doesnt have a ton of mileage on that arm either. I have no reason to worry about injuries since there have been no issues for a year and a half now.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I have predicted 70+ wins for our starters and I will stick with that, if healthy....and that was based on theri average career productions. I do however feel that we have guys that are going to get alot of contact so I think it is important to have our best defense out there....which of course means Iggy and Bradley....if they show they cannot hit ML pitching in April, when Papi and Drew are back we switch them out, but we need to give it a try.....the staff could be a half a run better with them. Pitching, as with most things in sports is about attitude....and though I worry about Dempster in the AL.....you cannot fault his attitude and confidence....Dempster pitches all those innings because he keeps his teams in games, not because his stuff is overpowering, but because he believes he can...that type of attitude from a veteran rubs off on a pitching staff and will make them all better.....whether Beckett was better or not is irrelevant and debatable, whether Beckett made the other pitchers better is not.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Go figure.

I don't know about others, but I'm not more confident about Lester and Buch and Doubie based on a handful of ST starts.

First, I'm not confident on Doubie. It remains to be seen if he can be consistent.

I've been more confident about Lester and Buch but that was before the handful of spring starts. It was based on their history and based on the fact that Buchholz had an ERA of around 3.62 (give or take) after this first six starts, so to me, and that includes a meltdown at the end of the season. So I don't see any reason why he can't pick up where he left off.

As for Lester, after his July meltdown, he also pitched fairly well the rest of the season. I'm pretty sure is ERA for August and September was under 4.00.