Good effort today, Rays 6 back

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Good effort today, Rays 6 back

The youngster wasn't that impressive but Aceves, Bard and Pap did a great job to close things out after the offense took the lead.  We may be only one game up on the Yanks but as I suspected the Rays are beginning to fade.  It will be interesting to see what Tampa can do in the second half.

Great way to go into the All Star break!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Re: Good effort today, Rays 6 back

It is nice to be six games up on the Rays. 

Once the Rays fade, then both the Red Sox and Yankees will be in the playoffs.

I believe this will finally be the year when both the Red Sox and Yankees face in the ALCS.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Good effort today, Rays 6 back:
    [QUOTE]It is nice to be six games up on the Rays.  Once the Rays fade, then both the Red Sox and Yankees will be in the playoffs. I believe this will finally be the year when both the Red Sox and Yankees face in the ALCS.
    Posted by Ice-Cream[/QUOTE]

I agree, Tampa's lineup doesn't impress me and I don't see their pitching keeping them close enough.  They might need a bat before the deadline to have a chance.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

they def need a bat craze

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

It would be nice to get Tampa out of the picture southpaw and looking at the upcoming schedule I believe there is a great chance of it.  Yankees and Sox down the stretch, if we get to the WS I want NY to be the team we beat again like 04.

Its only right the two clash!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from scorieger. Show scorieger's posts

In Response to Good effort today, Rays 6 back:
    [QUOTE]The youngster wasn't that impressive but Aceves, Bard and Pap did a great job to close things out after the offense took the lead.  We may be only one game up on the Yanks but as I suspected the Rays are beginning to fade.  It will be interesting to see what Tampa can do in the second half. Great way to go into the All Star break!
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

No Buch and no Lester will catch up to us.  Both will need a little time to return to form, so it could well get a little hairy for a few weeks.  Just got lucky with the schedule this week.  It might get closer than you think.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Good effort today, Rays 6 back : No Buch and no Lester will catch up to us.  Both will need a little time to return to form, so it could well get a little hairy for a few weeks.  Just got lucky with the schedule this week.  It might get closer than you think.
    Posted by scorieger[/QUOTE]

You could be right but I have faith in our offense this season.  Clay should be back, I think the question with him might be depression and whether it affects his future.  Guys like Beck/Miller/Wake/Lackey and Aceves are all capable of giving up less runs than we score.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Good effort today, Rays 6 back : No Buch and no Lester will catch up to us.  Both will need a little time to return to form, so it could well get a little hairy for a few weeks.  Just got lucky with the schedule this week.  It might get closer than you think.

Sorry scorieger I think it was Taylor with the depression.  Clay should be back shortly after the break.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Tampa has a very light schedule this season compared to some.
      The second half isn't much different because although they play the next 7 games against the Yanks and Sox, they then play another 20 straight games against losing/very mediocre teams.

It doesn't take a genius to look at this type of schedule and predict them to hang around.  If they can't they are not a very strong contender.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

@craze4sox, for some reason it won't let me reply to your comment but you're thinking of Clay's brother who is still dealing with depression problems. Somebody on here, I forget who, claimed he read that Buchholz was dealing with depression problems that could keep him out longer than expected but it happened to be his brother so no worries there. Just get that back healed up and he'll be good to go

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

My bad, just read your follow up comment. Indeed it was Taylor.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]@craze4sox, for some reason it won't let me reply to your comment but you're thinking of Clay's brother who is still dealing with depression problems. Somebody on here, I forget who, claimed he read that Buchholz was dealing with depression problems that could keep him out longer than expected but it happened to be his brother so no worries there. Just get that back healed up and he'll be good to go
    Posted by IrishMob7[/QUOTE]

I realized that shortly after I said it Irish but thanks for the correction.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

The Rays are more dangerous against tougher competition. That's their MO.
    It brings out the best in them.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

According to ESPN's Buster Olney, hardest remianing schedule to least difficult:

1. Tampa Bay Rays
    Home/away: Thirty-nine of their last 72 are at home.
    Games vs. teams with records over .500: 36
    Noteworthy: Tampa Bay has 26 games in the second half against the Red Sox and Yankees.
    Big Finish: Thirteen of the Rays' final 19 games are against the Yankees and the Red Sox. Yeesh.

2. Seattle Mariners
    Home/away: Thirty-three of their final 71 games are at home.
    Games vs. teams with records over .500: 46
    Noteworthy: In the last nine days before the trade deadline, the Mariners will run the gamut of AL East teams, with consecutive series against the Red Sox, Yankees and Rays.
    Big Finish: Seven of the Mariners' final 10 games will be on the road.

3. Minnesota Twins
    Home/away: Forty-two of their last 73 games are at home.
    Games vs. teams with records over .500: 41
    Noteworthy: Look again at the huge number of home games for the Twins in the second half -- the most of any contending team. But they have a rainout makeup at Yankee Stadium on Sept. 19 wedged into a long homestand that won't be easy.
    Big Finish: The Twins' final three games are at home against the Royals.

4. Texas Rangers
    Home/away: Thirty-two of their last 70 are at home.
    Games vs. teams with records over .500: 35
    Noteworthy: Texas still has seven games left with Boston and six with Tampa Bay; the Rangers are finished with the Yankees.
    Big Finish: Nine of the Rangers' final 12 games will be on the road.

5. Chicago White Sox
    Home/away: Thirty-five of their last 70 games are at home.
    Games vs. teams with records over .500: 37
    Noteworthy: Chicago opens the second half with a nine-game road trip.
    Big Finish: The White Sox close the season with a nice six-game homestand versus the Royals and the Jays.

6. Boston Red Sox
    Home/away: 36 of 72
    Games vs. teams with records over .500: 33
    Noteworthy: Boston clubbed the Orioles before the All-Star break, and the Red Sox will get more chances to do that, with 10 games remaining against Baltimore.
    Big Finish: The Red Sox close their season with six consecutive road games -- at New York and Baltimore.

7. New York Yankees
    Home/away: 32 of 74
    Games vs. teams with records over .500: 26
    Noteworthy: The Yankees have the fewest home games remaining among the contenders, and they still have one major West Coast trip remaining, with a swing through Anaheim and Seattle.
    Big Finish: The last nine games for the Yankees will be an AL East-palooza -- six against the Rays and three against the Red Sox.

8. Los Angeles Angels
    Home/away: 33 of 70
    Games vs. teams with records over .500: 26
    Noteworthy: Between now and the trade deadline, the Angels will live on the road -- 14 of 17 games. After that, it's relatively easy.
    Big Finish: The Angels' final six games are at home -- versus Oakland, then versus Texas.

9. Cleveland Indians
    Home/away: Thirty-six of their final 73 are at home.
    Games vs. teams with records over .500: 25
    Noteworthy: The Indians have a total of four games left against the AL East trio of Boston, New York and Tampa Bay -- just one series at Fenway Aug. 1-4.
    Big Finish: The Indians are in Detroit for the final three games of the season, and it could be for all the marbles.

10. Detroit Tigers
    Home/away: Thirty-five of their last 70 are at home.
    Games vs. teams with record over .500: 23
    Noteworthy: The Tigers have 12 games remaining against Cleveland in the second half. Big Finish: Detroit closes out with seven consecutive home games.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]The Rays are more dangerous against tougher competition. That's their MO. It brings out the best in them.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

Wrong again,

Rays have played a total of 33 games against winning teams as of the All Star break.
    Record - 16 wins & 17 losses
    which is below 500.

Rays have plated 57 games against losing teams
    Record - 33 wins & 24 losses

Red Sox
    have played 43 games against winning teams
    Record - 26 wins & 17 losses

The Rays have clearly played better against below 500 teams.  The second half starts much the same where they play 20 out of their next 27 games against teams below 500.
      If the Rays had played the same type schedule as the Sox in the first half they could feasibly be 10 or more games back.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]It is nice to be six games up on the Rays.  Once the Rays fade, then both the Red Sox and Yankees will be in the playoffs. I believe this will finally be the year when both the Red Sox and Yankees face in the ALCS.
    Posted by Ice-Cream[/QUOTE]

I don't think the Yankees will get that far, especially with the news about A-Roid today. Out 4-6 weeks with knee surgery. But we shall see.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sev133. Show Sev133's posts

thats not his brother....distant cousin

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]It would be nice to get Tampa out of the picture southpaw and looking at the upcoming schedule I believe there is a great chance of it.  Yankees and Sox down the stretch, if we get to the WS I want NY to be the team we beat again like 04. Its only right the two clash!

I agree 100%..

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Good effort today, Rays 6 back : Wrong again, Rays have played a total of 33 games against winning teams as of the All Star break. Record - 16 wins & 17 losses which is below 500. Rays have plated 57 games against losing teams Record - 33 wins & 24 losses Red Sox have played 43 games against winning teams Record - 26 wins & 17 losses The Rays have clearly played better against below 500 teams.  The second half starts much the same where they play 20 out of their next 27 games against teams below 500.   If the Rays had played the same type schedule as the Sox in the first half they could feasibly be 10 or more games back.

Nice to see UR doing the research. Good job.
    My allusion referred to their MO since becoming a contender in 2008. They have a tendency to let up against weaker competition, but are tough when facing the league's best teams. It involves level of expectation.

For example: Last year, they had winning records against NY/Boston/TX/MN/WHitesox. Total: 34-23. But they got beat by lesser teams.
    In 2008, they were 29-25 vs. the elite teams.
    They are .500 against Boston/NY/TX. this year.

They have a winning record against the best since they became contenders.
    I don't put much credence in some teams who play over .500 in weak divisions.
    A team like Toronto in the A.L. Central could win that division.

The lack of payroll flux obviously hurts their chances this year, but don't under-estimate them. They can easily rise to the occasion against beter teams. They've been doing it for 3 and 1/2 years.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Good effort today, Rays 6 back : Nice to see UR doing the research. Good job. My allusion referred to their MO since becoming a contender in 2008. They have a tendency to let up against weaker competition, but are tough when facing the league's best teams. It involves level of expectation. For example: Last year, they had winning records against NY/Boston/TX/MN/WHitesox. Total: 34-23. But they got beat by lesser teams. In 2008, they were 29-25 vs. the elite teams. They are .500 against Boston/NY/TX. this year. They have a winning record against the best since they became contenders. I don't put much credence in some teams who play over .500 in weak divisions. A team like Toronto in the A.L. Central could win that division. The lack of payroll flux obviously hurts their chances this year, but don't under-estimate them. They can easily rise to the occasion against beter teams. They've been doing it for 3 and 1/2 years.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

I'm glad we agree on something but why would you compare "this years team" to the past after Tampa lost or traded so many key players? 

Tampa used to have an identity with Crawford, Garza, Bartlett, Iwamura, Pena, Aybar, Navarro and others who all played keys roles.  Those teams had a solid offense, good pitching, speed, defense and depth that just hasn't been fully replaced.  This is why I really believe Tampa needs to play great ball in the 27 games or their season could be over.  The Rays landing a "big bat" before the deadline and/or getting help through key injuries to opposing teams may be their best hope otherwise because the schedule gets much tougher for them down the stretch.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

If you look at Moon's threads about Tampa, they have replaced what they lost...and then some. I never saw them as an offensive force, even last year. They play it close to the vest. They have the current personal to continue to grind out close games. And Maddon gets the most of it.

As I see it, NY might not repeat their first half. I see Colon more exposed and AROID's absence telling. Their potential lack of pitching depth in the SR will eventually affect their pen depth.

Boston won't walk away either with the constant injuries to their pitching staff.
    The disparity in the A.L. East is such that no team will find it easy to walk away.
    And while Tampa lacks the overall talent pool of Boston/NY, they definitely have the pitching to stay with the pack. They have a better chance for consistency.

I have no issue with disagreements. That's part of the landscape here.
    I only ask posters to be held accountable for their posts. If they make a statement that is challenged, back it up, the way you did with UR Rays research.

FWIW, you have recently handled criticism from others well. When the same came from me, you took offense to it. I was the same way when I first came here. I had to learn the "language". I think our initial failure to communicate has allowed you to acknowledge what credible posters prioritize.

I hold no grudges in that regard. I welcome good baseball discussion from any source. I sincerely mean that.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BS10FAN. Show BS10FAN's posts

In Response to Good effort today, Rays 6 back:
    [QUOTE]The youngster wasn't that impressive but Aceves, Bard and Pap did a great job to close things out after the offense took the lead.  We may be only one game up on the Yanks but as I suspected the Rays are beginning to fade.  It will be interesting to see what Tampa can do in the second half. Great way to go into the All Star break!

Once the sox get healthy they will pull away from the Yankees..the Yankees age is going to catch up with them..sox must be very careful with the pitching staff..they need another arm..

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]f you look at Moon's threads about Tampa, they have replaced what they lost...and then some. False, no they have not.They have not replaced what Crawford did in his career year of 2010. They have not replaced what Soriano did in his career year of 2010. While they cotinue to have an upper tier starting rotation, they do not have the pen or the offense to contend for the playoffs. They will be going away as dog days pile up. The Yankees will make a pitching move and any needed offensive move they need to make. The Rays cannot afford to make an impact offensive position player move, yet are effectively lagging at a projected rate of 8 to 9 games back over 162 games. They are an 89 to 91 winsmax type of team. That is going away because the Yankees and Red Sox are a complete block for the Rays playoff hopes, with any slipping by the Yankees or Red Sox resulting in an AL West or Central pulling what would be a WC upset. The Rays have no realistic chance of making the playoffs this year. Unless the Yankees pull a blockbuster "Felix" type of deal (not likely), and unless Beckett, Lester Buck, Agon, Oritz, Youk or Pedroia have a long term DL, the Red Sox will win the AL East. If the Red Sox avoid the long DL to those core players, and got a player like Kemp for Ellsbury, 1 or 2 of Lowrie or Middlebrooks and Hassan or Brentz, and Doubrant or Weiland, what is an aggregate strong but inconsistent Red Sox offense would be transformed to a balanced murderers row offense that would coast to the AL East and WS. Without this move, the Red Sox are still the AL title contender favorites, but only by a small degree. The offense is not balanced with Crawford and Ellsbury and matches most stretch peaks with stretch valleys. Crawford won't get to his career medians by year end, but he doesn't have to. He was already recovering to a performance level that was on the lower end of the medians, and that's good enough if someone like Kemp is added. Long term, it is the blockbuster deal that only a shrewd GM with foresight would seek out. The Dodgers will sell Kemp, despite there claims to the contrary. He'll go this winter, if not this summer. The Padres owner claimed, last winter, that they were not going to trade AGon. At that time, I posted his comment and stated that he was soliciting trade offers for AGon at the same moment he made that quote. The Dodgers are out of it, 13 games out of the WC. While they have a lot of payroll clear for 2012, they will not be able to get Kemp to forgo FA to sign an extension with an organization that is at least two years from leaving a very dark cloud left by years of incompetence. The Dodgers' Bankruptcy judge will approve any deal that nets the Dodgers one or two everyday starter type MLB players. Selig does not have legitimate grounds to deny anything other than a Charley Finley type of cash sale or true "fire sale" type of transaction. The CBA makes that clear. The importance of the deal is long term, as much as short term, but it would be huge, short term, as well. Millar has the inside scoop on the clubhouse. He just repeated the claims that Ellsbury was persona non grata in the clubhouse from the 2010 fiasco. While Millar said that Ellsbury had come back and silenced some of his media critics, he stopped short of an unqualified players' endorsement of what is almost surely a clubhouse that would be quietly quite pleased to see Kemp come and Ellsbury go. Do I expect Theo to push for a move like this? No, I expect him to do a GM dumpster dive and ignore the opportunity to solve a long term problem and make this team even better in the short term.
    Posted by billbyboy[/QUOTE]

Really?
    Kotchman replaced Pena and is having a career year.
    .340 BA! .461 SLG .859 OPS That's a decent trade off for Pena's power/pathetic BA, Upton is supplying pop, averaging 30 HR/100 RBI.
    Joyce in RF is having a solid year.
    .290 BA  .513 SLG  .854 OPS
    Damon's been a positive.

Hellickson replaces Garza's production. 3.21 ERA  1.148 WHIP
    Farnsworth replaces Soriano: 2.02 ERA 17 Saves
    BP depth: A. Cobb: 3.41 ERA Cruz 3.06 A. Russell 2.90 Peralta 3.73 Gomes 2.92

It comes down to replacing production from one year to the next. They are collectively similar to last year.

2010: .247 BA  2011: .246 BA
    2010: .403 SLG.  2011: .401 SLG
    2010: OPS: .736  2011 OPS: .715

2010: 3.78 ERA  2011: 3.62 ERA
    2010: 3rd in league in fielding pct. 2011: First in the league.

As I stated, they have never been an offensive power house. The slight difference in OPS is compensated for with better pitching/fielding.

The 91 win ceiling you quoted may very well keep them in the thick of things, as it's doubtful any A.L. East team will win 100 games. Remember, it generally only takes 91-92 wins to secure the WC. 

25. This post has been removed.