Good for Cody

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re: Good for Cody

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

MLB is a closed shop.

Actually, this isn't true. From the legal dictionary, a closed shop is

A shop in which persons are required to join a particular union as a precondition to employment and to remain union members for the duration of their employment.

Players are drafted before they join the union. In fact, when they are in the minors, they aren't union members. They can't join the the union until they're in the majors, hence the name, "MAJOR LEAGUE Players Association."

And players don't have to join. Of course, if they don't join, they don't get certain benefits that are gained through the union. They still can get their pension, but they don't get royalties, for example, from merchandise sales that are distrubuted through the union.

Of course, players do join the union, but that still doesn't make it a closed shop.

Remember, after the lockout in 1994, players who crossed the line weren't allowed to join the union, yet they still played in the majors.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Instead of trying to work out a deal with Napoli and his injured hip, Ben should have worked out a deal with Ross. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

Instead of trying to work out a deal with Napoli and his injured hip, Ben should have worked out a deal with Ross. 

I was unaware that Cody could play 1B or C. Hell, he can barely play the outfield.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

I was unaware that Cody could play 1B or C. Hell, he can barely play the outfield.

I was hoping that Cherington would sign McCarthy, Ross and Swisher (or even Berkman on a one-year deal) instead of Victorino, Dempster and Napoli. 

I do not want a player with a hip concern playing 1B for the Red Sox. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

Yes, it is a vapid joke to suggest that Ross and the great white Kubel are better OF'er than J. Upton. Nice job, Joe.

I'm giving you numbers.  If you want to ignore numbers, then join the great unwashed.

Seriously, there are a great number of people that would like to live their lives free of the burden of analysis.  You might actually be part of the majority.  Still, I cannot my compunction for relying on numbers for analysis, rather than 'feelings'.

I think the D'Backs would be more inclined to deal Kubel unless they get an offer for J.Upton that blows them away. I think the Red sox should trade for Kubel. He would be a nice upgrade Over Kalish in left and the platoon with Gomes would still Make sense Considering Kubel Is a LHB.

or Paul Goldschmidt

Where would we play him Mef if Napoli's deal ends up getting worked out? Dont get me wrong i like goldschmidt(He strikes out a bit too much for me) but a Power bat like his i would def welcome in the Red Sox Lineup. Do you like the idea of trading for Kubel though??

well im sre they could just drop the contract if they wanted. it was pending a physical which he clearly failed. some would argue we shouldn't even sign him now (without knowing the specifics its hard to say). But i advocated getting PG before we even signed Naps..

I do like Kubel though, not sure if anyones been after him since AZ has Upton on the block..

Kubel for Salty and Melancon or Miller or Mort.

Kubel has a nice Fenway stroke toward leftcenter if I remember correctly.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

I was hoping that Cherington would sign McCarthy, Ross and Swisher (or even Berkman on a one-year deal) instead of Victorino, Dempster and Napoli. 

I do not want a player with a hip concern playing 1B for the Red Sox. 

Ice, you're concerned about a guy with a "possible" hip issue, but you have no problem signing a guy (McCarthy) who has shoulder issues, a guy who's never come close to throwing 200 innings and a guy who hasn't thrown a pitch since he got hit in the face with a line drive?  I'd be a h*ll of a lot more concerned about a guy like McCarthy than I would about Napoli...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Im happy Ross got what he was looking for. Him and Gomes are basically the same player.

As far as the napoli discussion and obtaining another 1b, what about adding either G. Jones or G. sanchez in with the hanrahan deal?

Sections
Shortcuts