Good News That Is Being Ignored

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Good News That Is Being Ignored

In response to moonslav59's comment:

...I, for one, am thrilled that Beckett and his bad vibes are out of here.

I'm glad his contract is gone, but I'd like him here for his "odd year" season.

Dont get me wrong. I enjoyed his
    "odd year" production as well. I think his attitude and bad habits started to become more of a distraction than his production and he had to go. I also dont think he realized the influence he had on the other pitchers. The young guys looked up to him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

"odd year" production as well. I think his attitude and bad habits started to become more of a distraction than his production and he had to go. I also dont think he realized the influence he had on the other pitchers. The young guys looked up to him.

I hold each player accountable for their actions. I do not think Beckett forced anyone down a wrong path or even nudged them anywhere they weren't already heading.

Did anyone give credit to Beckett when Lester and Buch were doing well?

Has Papi been showing the young kids how to play the game? 

Youk?

Pedey?

AGon?

These guys are grown men who don't need their hands held. If they do, then they are not the types that lead anyone anywhere important to begin with. To me, it's an insult to Lester and others to imply they are sheep.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I have to say that I was dead set against the Dempster signing, but he's really looked good so far.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from chetgnat. Show chetgnat's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I hold each player accountable for their actions. I do not think Beckett forced anyone down a wrong path or even nudged them anywhere they weren't already heading.

Did anyone give credit to Beckett when Lester and Buch were doing well?

Has Papi been showing the young kids how to play the game? 

Youk?

Pedey?

AGon?

These guys are grown men who don't need their hands held. If they do, then they are not the types that lead anyone anywhere important to begin with. To me, it's an insult to Lester and others to imply they are sheep.

Because sports are emotional, and when you have lazy, pampered, entitled "superstars" it has an effect on the team as a whole. Over time, that can have an impact on almost everyone. There are certainly exceptions (people who maintain a professional approach regardless of distractions), but there's a reason they're called "exceptions". It's kind of silly to think otherwise. 

I'm just glad I don't have to watch Beckett hold the ball all day any more. It was one of the most annoying, BORING things I've ever watched in sports.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

I have to say that I was dead set against the Dempster signing, but he's really looked good so far.

I wasn't dead set against it, but I was skeptical -- very skeptical -- so I hope this is a sign of more good things to come when the season starts.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Because sports are emotional, and when you have lazy, pampered, entitled "superstars" it has an effect on the team as a whole. Over time, that can have an impact on almost everyone. There are certainly exceptions (people who maintain a professional approach regardless of distractions), but there's a reason they're called "exceptions". It's kind of silly to think otherwise. 

It's silly to discount any help Beckett might have been to other pitchers. For all we know, lester might have never had any good years had Beckett not been there.  Silly thoiught, isn't it? Just about as silly as blaming Beckett for the decline of our rotation.

I'm just glad I don't have to watch Beckett hold the ball all day any more. It was one of the most annoying, BORING things I've ever watched in sports.

Yeah, he bored the rest of the staff into decline. That must be it.

I'm still waiting for an answer to why Papi is a leader by example due to all his heroics, but not running to 1B, standing up opponent's pitchers by showboating HRs, and badmouthing management for years is acceptable, but one of the hroes of 2007 is kicked to the curb for being boring and drinking beer like half the MLB do.

Beckett is better than Dempster. Our rotation is worse for the swap. We had the worst rotation in the AL last year and got worse since then. That's the bottom line.

I'm glad our clubhouse will be ringing with Kum-bay-yahs though.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

I wasn't dead set against it, but I was skeptical -- very skeptical -- so I hope this is a sign of more good things to come when the season starts.

Dempster could have a fine season and hopefully bridge us to one of the kids, but I seriously doubt he will be a big difference maker in 2013 or 2014. 

$26M is a lot of money for a 4th starter, but I guess if he pitches like a good #3 and helps us squeek into the playoffs, all is OK, right?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from chetgnat. Show chetgnat's posts

I'm still waiting for an answer to why Papi is a leader by example due to all his heroics, but not running to 1B, standing up opponent's pitchers by showboating HRs, and badmouthing management for years is acceptable, but one of the hroes of 2007 is kicked to the curb for being boring and drinking beer like half the MLB do.

I'm not interested in explaining all the mistakes in your thinking. That would be a total waste of my time. But on this point, I will because it's easy. Papi is NOT a leader by example. That makes this an example of the type of strawman argument that you seem to be infatuated with. Papi gets a benefit of the doubt from many people because he's not a consistenly obnoxious, arrogant, petulant tool, like Joshua Beckett became once he had a child. Beckett is NO FUN to be around. Papi is MORE FUN to be around. See? This ties into what you didn't understand before. Being around Debbie Downers all the time is an emotional and energy suck.  Being around somewhat dim fellas who say dumb things but are generally pleasant is more tolerable.

Some can adjust to life with a child, others think the rest of the world needs to adjust to their new situation. Beckett is the latter, and his desire to prove to everyone exactly how little he cared about his job because he was now a parent made him unbearable to be around.

HTH. The floor, and the last word is yours.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Agree with OP on starters so far.  Surprised, too. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to chetgnat's comment:

I'm not interested in explaining all the mistakes in your thinking. That would be a total waste of my time. But on this point, I will because it's easy. Papi is NOT a leader by example. That makes this an example of the type of strawman argument that you seem to be infatuated with. Papi gets a benefit of the doubt from many people because he's not a consistenly obnoxious, arrogant, petulant tool, like Joshua Beckett became once he had a child. Beckett is NO FUN to be around. Papi is MORE FUN to be around. See? This ties into what you didn't understand before. Being around Debbie Downers all the time is an emotional and energy suck.  Being around somewhat dim fellas who say dumb things but are generally pleasant is more tolerable.

Some can adjust to life with a child, others think the rest of the world needs to adjust to their new situation. Beckett is the latter, and his desire to prove to everyone exactly how little he cared about his job because he was now a parent made him unbearable to be around.

HTH. The floor, and the last word is yours.

Nothing to say to this. Your point is understood, and as the team therapist, I guess you know more than all of us about what the guys want and don't want.

I'm glad the clubhouse and dugout will be fun this year, and it's great it can be that way without beer during the games. I can't wait to see how a better attitude and a faster paced game is going to help us make the playoffs.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Did the OP honestly put forth that starting pitching is the strength of this team? 

Wow, that takes some stones. 

As far as I can tell we have a bunch of number three starters. Forget about an ace, I don't even see a number two in there. I see guys with attitude problems who have struggled to stay healthy. And I don't see much depth. 

Hey I hope I'm wrong, because I have starting pitching as the biggest weakness of this team (I like the bullpen quite a bit, if we can win some games and actually use the bullpen). 

So if I'm wrong and the starting pitching is great, then this should be a good year. 

Hats off to the OP! Where I see a cow patty you see the fertilizer for a great season.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

Did the OP honestly put forth that starting pitching is the strength of this team? 

As far as I can tell we have a bunch of number three starters. Forget about an ace, I don't even see a number two in there. I see guys with attitude problems who have struggled to stay healthy. And I don't see much depth. 

Hey I hope I'm wrong, because I have starting pitching as the biggest weakness of this team (I like the bullpen quite a bit, if we can win some games and actually use the bullpen). 

So if I'm wrong and the starting pitching is great, then this should be a good year. 

Hats off to the OP! Where I see a cow patty you see the fertilizer for a great season.

I'm disappointed in you Spanker.  What the OP was merely expressing was that he was encouraged by the results of the starters so far.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

I'm disappointed in you Spanker.  What the OP was merely expressing was that he was encouragedby the results of the starters so far.

Yes, I have yet to hear anyone say our SPs are our strength. 

It certainly is better to see them doing well right now than poorly, but it is just ST.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Please, don't read any of my posts until you take a reading comprehension course or sober up. If that's the take you got out of my post, you must have serious head trauma in some form.

I couldn't have been more clear that my point was simple. That after all the struggles of last year by the Sox starting pitchers, it is good to see them pitch well, even if it is just spring training.

Never said it was the strength of the team.

Never said it means they're going to be great when the season starts.

I did post that I expect Lester and Buchholz to be strong this year, but I posted that BEFORE spring training and had nothing to do with how they're pitching in spring training.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

Please, don't read any of my posts until you take a reading comprehension course or sober up. If that's the take you got out of my post, you must have serious head trauma in some form.

I couldn't have been more clear that my point was simple. That after all the struggles of last year by the Sox starting pitchers, it is good to see them pitch well, even if it is just spring training.

Never said it was the strength of the team.

Never said it means they're going to be great when the season starts.

I did post that I expect Lester and Buchholz to be strong this year, but I posted that BEFORE spring training and had nothing to do with how they're pitching in spring training.

All reasonable points, IMO.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I'll just say it's a lot easier to hear a guy talk about getting his work in after a dominant outing than it is after he just got shelled.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'll just say it's a lot easier to hear a guy talk about getting his work in after a dominant outing than it is after he just got shelled.

True enough

Sections
Shortcuts